Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Taking Abilify With My Zoloft

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alinam

alinam

ID: 38339

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:52 AM

I'm currently taking 2 mg abilify to augment my 50 mg zoloft because of severe anxiety and depression. I've been on this regimen for about six weeks now and taking the zoloft for several months. I'm also taking ativan around the clock and trileptal which is supposed to be a mood stabilizer. I feel like a giant walking pharmacy but am still having difficulty with anxiety.

Is anyone taking abilify along with an SSRI? What doses do you find help you?

Thanks
Ali

#2 AngelOfTheMoor

AngelOfTheMoor

ID: 36629

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:19 AM

Hi, alinam,

I currently do not take Abilify, but there's a pinned topic in the "Other Anxiety Medications" room about it. Here's a link to it: Abilify. It appears that 2 mg is the lowest dose that is generally prescribed. So, perhaps trying a higher dose might be worth it. Have you found that the Abilify helps you at all, even if you're still having problems? If it is helping somewhat, then a higher dose might be still more helpful. If not, then it might not work for you. Then again, since that is the lowest dose, it still might be worth it to try a higher dose. I also know that 50 mg is a low dose of Zoloft, and when my anxiety problems started to escalate I was given incrementally higher doses of Zoloft. I would say that it's best to keep your doctor up to date about what's going on and make sure you know how compatible the meds you take are with each other.

#3 frangipani

frangipani

ID: 30042

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:16 AM

Hi Ali,

I used to take Abilify and Zoloft (am now taking Abilify and Lexapro, since the Zoloft quit working). I've also taken Trileptal and Ativan. Here are some thoughts...

1. I started taking 2.5mg of Abilify (5mg cut in half) for mood stabilization (associated with Borderline PD) and found it to be a lifesaver. Personally, I think Abilify is quite a strong drug (and I've been on just about all of them). While my pdoc used to laugh at me for taking such a "weak" dosage and thinking it did something, I could very well say that it did. Even now, almost 3 years later, I'm only at 5mg (I've been up to 15mg but it makes it hard for me to think at that dosage) and it works pretty well for me.

2. If you're taking the Abilify for depression, would you feel comfortable asking your pdoc why he/she doesn't try raising your Zoloft first? (Note: The max dosage of Zoloft is about 200mg.)

3. Some people (myself included) find Abilify to be a bit stimulating. You may want to see if you're feeling more anxious while on the Abilify, if that's one of the reasons you need to take so much Ativan.

Hope some of this helps!
In treatment since: 2001

Current dx's: Major Depressive Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder
Past dx's: Dysthymia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Alcohol Abuse (sober since March 2013)

Current rx's: Viibryd (40mg), Abilify (7.5mg), Vyvanse (70mg)
Past rx's: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Luvox, Trazodone, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Cymbalta, Seroquel, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Klonopin, Xanax, Ativan, Lamictal, Topamax, Trileptal, Buspar, Vistaril, Adderall

Current tx's: None
Past tx's: Individual therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy

Hospitalizations: Five

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 alinam

alinam

ID: 38339

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

Hi, alinam,

I currently do not take Abilify, but there's a pinned topic in the "Other Anxiety Medications" room about it. Here's a link to it: Abilify. It appears that 2 mg is the lowest dose that is generally prescribed. So, perhaps trying a higher dose might be worth it. Have you found that the Abilify helps you at all, even if you're still having problems? If it is helping somewhat, then a higher dose might be still more helpful. If not, then it might not work for you. Then again, since that is the lowest dose, it still might be worth it to try a higher dose. I also know that 50 mg is a low dose of Zoloft, and when my anxiety problems started to escalate I was given incrementally higher doses of Zoloft. I would say that it's best to keep your doctor up to date about what's going on and make sure you know how compatible the meds you take are with each other.

I'd say that the Abilify seemed to help alot in the beginning. Trouble is, I started to feel better after being on trileptal for several weeks. The NP that I'm seeing only wants to see me once a month and will only change one thing at a time, which means, with the five different meds I'm on, it could take until next February before we find the right "cocktail". I felt really great on zoloft at 125 mg, but was having lots of muscle twitches and my skin felt like it was on fire. I tapered down pretty fast after that.

#5 AngelOfTheMoor

AngelOfTheMoor

ID: 36629

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:38 PM

Yeah, I understand why they change only one thing a month. They've got to see if the change is working, and in order to do that, the change has to be independent of all other variables. I currently take 150 mg of Zoloft, and I have never experienced such bad side effects as you describe. If I forget to take it, though, my head gets really woozy. So, are you not sure if the Abilify or Trileptal are what made you feel better? Or are you trying to decide which one to have an increased dosage for? I'm sorry that the process will take so long, but it's worth it.

#6 starr

starr

Silver Member

ID: 1886

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

I am taking 5mg of abilify along with 100mg of zoloft and
I feel great. My pdoc says even 5mg is a low dose. Hope
things improve for you,

best wishes,
starr

#7 firerev

firerev

ID: 50629

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hello...why did you start taking Abilify with your 100mg of zoloft? And how long did it take to be effective?

I am currently taking 100 mg of zoloft and the last couple weeks it seems to be losing its effectiveness. I feel like the depression is slowly coming back. I am seeing my dr on Tuesday.

Thank you!

quote name='starr' timestamp='1265925098' post='605032']
Hi,

I am taking 5mg of abilify along with 100mg of zoloft and
I feel great. My pdoc says even 5mg is a low dose. Hope
things improve for you,

best wishes,
starr
[/quote]

Edited by firerev, 12 June 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#8 starr

starr

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

Hi,

Ive been on 75 of zoloft (down from 100) and
5 mg of abilify for over 5 years now and it
is working great for me. The abilify worked
in the first week - the zoloft took several
weeks. I am also on neurontin which is a mood
stabilizer and helps with sleep and anxiety.
This is the best combo I have ever been on.

I hope you find complete relief soon!

best wishes,
starr

#9 Want2Bhealthy

Want2Bhealthy

ID: 62970

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

Hi,

Ive been on 75 of zoloft (down from 100) and
5 mg of abilify for over 5 years now and it
is working great for me. The abilify worked
in the first week - the zoloft took several
weeks. I am also on neurontin which is a mood
stabilizer and helps with sleep and anxiety.
This is the best combo I have ever been on.

I hope you find complete relief soon!

best wishes,
starr

Hi Starr - you have talked with me before. I am still waiting for my zoloft to kick in again. How long did it take for you to feel a difference with zoloft. I went to my doctor yesterday and they told me to keep taking zoloft with 150 of effexor and while I am waiting for it to work I should take clolazepam to get through the difficult spots. They are of the opinion that my brain has to heal from the anxiety before there will be any difference in the zoloft. I so want to believe this, but in the meantime I am still feeling like crap. I used to love my life and couldn't wait to get up in the morning, now I just try and get through one day at a time. In the meantime my life is going by me and all the things I enjoyed are a distant memory. I have been on the zoloft now for four weeks at 200 mgs. You seem to have a lot of experience with zoloft and I just wondered what you thought. I so appreciate your comments. Thanks - Sandi

#10 starr

starr

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hi,

This is my 2nd time on zoloft. The first
time it pooped out on me after about 5 years.
I was on 200mg so my pdoc changed me to
effexor then which I stayed on for several years.
I am on 75mg now and have been for over 5
years and praying it wont poop out on me. I
did go to my pdoc today bec I have been having
some anxiety but she increaed my nuerontin (mood
stabilizer) instead of the zoloft. Both times I was on
zoloft, however, it started working within 2-3
weeks. For me bec I have a high metabolism
apparently 5 years is a good run so I cant
complain. I did gain a few pounds and am
tired some in the afternoon but neither is
worse than being depressed.

I am currently on 75 zoloft, 5 abilify and
900 neurontin and this is the best Ive ever
felt (until lately when the anixety kicked
in some but hopefully my med change will
handle that).

For me zoloft has been a lifesaver. I am
happy and will stay on it indefinitely unless
it poops out again. I hope it starts to
work for you soon, some people take 6-8
weeks to get relief which seems like forever
when you are suffering but the end result is
so worth it!!

Also, for me no one drug works completely
by itself - it has always taken a combo for
me to feel sympton-free.

Wishing you the best,
starr

#11 Jenna Watson

Jenna Watson

ID: 63827

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

I have been off Zoloft for some time now and I can tell you that any man made stuff that you are putting into your body is real bad..

I almost died from taking Xanax......I know it sounds hard to believe but my life is so much better without this stuff...

For the record I take 0 mg of Zoloft now..

#12 wyocollins

wyocollins

Just Registered

ID: 117458

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

I don't know if anyone is still interested in talking about this.....but I have an appointment with my doc on Monday to perhaps add Abilify to my regiment.  Currently I take 150 mg of Zoloft daily and I have noticed that mother*&^%$# black dog rearing its ugly head in my direction.  For me, its always starts this way and turns into a downward spiral with awful, terrible thoughts. 

This usually happens in late summer to fall.  Maybe it has to do with it being mid-winter and we haven't had much sunshine.  I hate this feeling. 

Thanks for reading/listening.

D

#13 89Anne

89Anne

ID: 102397

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hi, have you had your vitamin d levels checked?  Lower levels can also cause mood swings and depression.  Your doctor should be able to do blood work to see what they are at.  Double check to make sure insurance will pay for it though.  Our's wouldn't, yet they will pay for the prescription if written. I don't get that, but it's insurance they do what they want. 

My vitamin d levels were actually at an acceptable level but my doctor still wanted me to take more, of course that was over the counter because she couldn't write a script for it. Good thing is that vitamin d is pretty insxpensive over the counter. You can check here about vitamin d.  I always go looking for info on this site. http://www.pharmacyd...tamin_D_Coupons I usually go for side effects, but I have see other pages on information on getting samples and coupons on medications. You can search in the upper right.

I would defiantly talk to your doctor about the D levels with it usually happening in the late summer and fall. Could be a seasonal thing.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users