Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Strange (side?) Effect Of Wellbutrin (please Help)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Darly

Darly

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:38 AM

I've been dealing with depression, anxiety, and ADD for a couple of years now. About a week and a half ago, I started taking Wellbutrin. These past couple days, it's been giving be a very strange feeling. I've been searching the net to see if anyone else has gotten this feeling, and couldn't find anyone. It's hard to describe but I'll do my best: it feels like my mind is battling with itself. I'll have a thought or a feeling, and then I can suddenly, very abruptly, feel it dissipate, and then "attempt" to return, like part of me wants to feel it, and part of me doesn't. If I start to get annoyed or anxious about all these goings-on in my head, then that anxiety too will follow the same pattern and sort of fight for a place in my head. It seems to happen more with negative thoughts and feelings, but not exclusively. I literally didn't feel like myself today; I could barely talk to people. It's one of the more frustrating and disturbing things I've felt.

Does this sound like the effect Wellbutrin is supposed to have? If somebody could describe, very specifically, the feeling they get from Wellbutrin, and how it makes them happier, that would be a major help. Does it feel like you can better manage your thoughts and feelings, or that some of them are being repressed? I hope what I'm feeling is not the intended effect, because if it is I have to get off of this drug immediately.

#2 ribosome77

ribosome77

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:12 AM

I've been dealing with depression, anxiety, and ADD for a couple of years now. About a week and a half ago, I started taking Wellbutrin. These past couple days, it's been giving be a very strange feeling. I've been searching the net to see if anyone else has gotten this feeling, and couldn't find anyone. It's hard to describe but I'll do my best: it feels like my mind is battling with itself. I'll have a thought or a feeling, and then I can suddenly, very abruptly, feel it dissipate, and then "attempt" to return, like part of me wants to feel it, and part of me doesn't. If I start to get annoyed or anxious about all these goings-on in my head, then that anxiety too will follow the same pattern and sort of fight for a place in my head. It seems to happen more with negative thoughts and feelings, but not exclusively. I literally didn't feel like myself today; I could barely talk to people. It's one of the more frustrating and disturbing things I've felt.

Does this sound like the effect Wellbutrin is supposed to have? If somebody could describe, very specifically, the feeling they get from Wellbutrin, and how it makes them happier, that would be a major help. Does it feel like you can better manage your thoughts and feelings, or that some of them are being repressed? I hope what I'm feeling is not the intended effect, because if it is I have to get off of this drug immediately.

Well, firstly, is this the first psychiatric-prescribed drug that you've tried? They'll be more responses from others, but it's the weekend and may be a bit longer.

#3 Darly

Darly

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

Well, firstly, is this the first psychiatric-prescribed drug that you've tried? They'll be more responses from others, but it's the weekend and may be a bit longer.

Yea this is the first.

#4 Teril

Teril

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hi, Darly :)

I live with major depression, recurrent, bipolar II, and anxiety and was first diagnosed for the depression 17 years ago and have been on many, many of the major psych meds for those particular diagnoses over the years.

The main thing to keep in mind with psych meds is that different people can have different reactions to the same med. It took a year working with my psychiatrist to find the right combination of meds, in the right dosage to treat the depression but not have overwhelming side effects. Unfortunately there is no test like there is for, say, diabetes, so especially at first it can be a bit of trial and error. Don't let me say it took a year to settle into the right meds for me, most of the year was fine-tuning and then I was on those two meds for 15 years with barely any symptoms. The other thing I wanted to impress is that being patient and willing to try different meds if the first one, or two, or three don't work, don't give up. And of course work closely with your Dr.

Now to answer your question specifically - I went on Wellbutrin the first time about 4 years ago and had the strangest side effect I've ever experienced on meds. It sounds a bit like yours, not exactly, but maybe similar as it *is* hard to explain. Another woman on a psych forum started WB at the same time and we were both going through the same thing. Mine felt like my brain was like floating inside my skull. If I moved my head to the side, it felt like it took a few seconds for my brain to follow. I also could not get my words out. It was so frustrating. I knew what I wanted to say, but they wouldn't form into words.

After about six months or so I went off WB because at the time it was an adjunct to my regular meds. I went back on WB about...hmmm...maybe 6 months ago. I was prepared for that weird feeling in my head again because it did eventually go away the first time and I felt better. This time I didn't get the brain-in-skull thing, but I still have a bit of trouble remembering things and what the word for something is. It's getting better but I am experiencing that as well.

Hope that helped a bit. You've come to a great forum for support. :)

Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.
~ Pope John XXIII

#5 Darly

Darly

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for the info. Well, the update is that the weird thought-effect has stopped. However (and this is a pretty big however), last night when I laid down to go to sleep I felt my heart start to palpitate, and felt this tension in my chest. Also I started getting some brutal stomach pains. I got up to shower, through up a few times, and long story short, I was up the entire night (literally no sleep). The doc gave me some lorazapam today that seems to be doing to trick, so tonight I should be fine.
So the question then is, do I continue with my friend and foe Wellbutrin or not? Obviously I'll talk about it with my psychiatrist, but I'm really startin to think these side effects are a bit too much.
One more thing, I'm still looking for a clear description of what it "feels like" to be on buproprion when it's working. Does it change the way you think? Give you certain thoughts? Suppress certain thoughts of feelings? Affect your mood? etc. Thanks

ps this was writton on lorazapam, so sorry if theres some typos

#6 Teril

Teril

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

Sorry to hear you had such a bad night, Darly. No fun at all. Glad to hear you're feeling better now though.

Glad to provide any info that I've gathered through my experience. :) However, it is just what I experienced; your experience could be entirely different and different from the next person, etc. For example, I've seen many, many posts by people who say that one of the meds I've been on for 17 years (not WB) makes them violently ill. More people (at least on forums) report that as a side effect than not; however, I have never had any problem with it whatsoever.

As for staying on the med or not, that is a discussion between you and your Dr. One thing I do recommend is to become as knowledgeable about one's meds as possible. Reading and sharing on these forums is a great start; internet research; ask your Dr. any and all questions you have (since I just have 15 minutes when I see my Dr., I think about what I most want to ask or report before I go, then write those points down to take with me so I don't forget them), etc.

Most psych meds take approximately 4-6 weeks before a person can tell if they're working or not. There is an interesting point about WB, though. Meds fall into categories. SSRI is a category for instance. WB is different in that it's kind of its own special category and, from my experience and what I've read from others, it seems to begin to work a bit faster.

As far as what it feels like to be on an antidepressant, for me, when they work, I feel like my "normal" self - not the lethargic, constantly crying person I become when in a depressive episode. For the majority of my time...which has been fairly lengthy...on psych meds, they became a daily part of my routine: eat breakfast, take my vitamins, take my meds, go to work, etc. They are not meant to change one's personality. I want to keep adding the caveat, though, that I am speaking totally from my experience. :)

I remember how overwhelming all this was for me when I first went on antidepressants. Just keep a good communication going with your Dr. and ask, ask, ask questions.

Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.
~ Pope John XXIII

#7 ribosome77

ribosome77

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:57 AM

Thanks for the info. Well, the update is that the weird thought-effect has stopped. However (and this is a pretty big however), last night when I laid down to go to sleep I felt my heart start to palpitate, and felt this tension in my chest. Also I started getting some brutal stomach pains. I got up to shower, through up a few times, and long story short, I was up the entire night (literally no sleep). The doc gave me some lorazapam today that seems to be doing to trick, so tonight I should be fine.
So the question then is, do I continue with my friend and foe Wellbutrin or not? Obviously I'll talk about it with my psychiatrist, but I'm really startin to think these side effects are a bit too much.
One more thing, I'm still looking for a clear description of what it "feels like" to be on buproprion when it's working. Does it change the way you think? Give you certain thoughts? Suppress certain thoughts of feelings? Affect your mood? etc. Thanks

ps this was writton on lorazapam, so sorry if theres some typos

The brutal stomach pains aren't a common side effect - probably from something else if it's not daily. If they are daily obviously check it out. I've no experience with WB, but have a friend that is on it. Seems to give them more energy and gets them motivated. I think compared with the other anti-depressants it would probably be a more stimulating med. But this is just my second hand opinion. Seems to make people sleep less too. Also supposed to not affect weight and sex drive compared with other meds.

#8 numbskullll

numbskullll

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

I hope I can Help, Im 16 days into taking WB. The First week I had the worst anxiety i have ever felt. Thoughts were racing inside my head as though I was battling myself, I could not concentrate on anything. I could not complete or resolve any thought I had. It was a scrambled mess inside my head. At the same time I was experiencing a lot of vertigo my balance was off and very light headed. I called in sick to work and rode it out. I was warned it would get worse before it would get better. So I believed. after 10 days things became a little clearer a little each day. Im not there yet but I feel as though im on the right track now. Hang in there if you can. good luck. And always let your doctor know whats happening It helps them help you.

Edited by numbskullll, 27 January 2010 - 02:04 PM.

A friend will help you move... A good friend will help you move a body.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users