Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Can You Take Prozac?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aprilb

Aprilb

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

I have been taking prozac for 6 years continuously, now. My doctor wants me to stay on it because I have a history of moderate to severe chronic depression and anxiety. She said that if I stop, my depression could be harder to treat. I am doing well on 35mg per day and I am living a full life but I am concerned with taking it for so long. Does anyone know how long you can take it?

Aprilb

#2 darcness

darcness

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

(((April)))

You can take it really any duration of time that you feel you need it. There's some debate/discussion over how long AD's last, and for some they "poop" out after a long while of being on them. But if it's still working for you and you're having good quality of life on it, don't be concerned. If there are any long term effects of taking it, they should be known by your doctor or pharmacist if you'd like to ask them. That way if there are any long terms effects to any part of your body, you can let your GP know that and perhaps monitor it to put your mind at ease.

Many people take an AD for years and years, some even for the rest of their lives. If they are working, that's great and I can't see anything to worry about. Just remember that if you ever start to feel like it's not working well for you anymore, you let your doc know.

Some of the greatest advice I've ever received on DF: "Always remember that recovery is not linear"
Such a simple phrase, but so easily forgotten...

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

I took Prozac 14+ years. it stopped working and was changed to diffrerent medications. I had no adverse long term effects. My doc would do annual liver function tests as somes ADs assimilate through the liver.

I would say as a non-professional, if it continues working for you, stay on it. If you feel it's no longer effective, talk to your pdoc.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users