Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aprilb

How Long Can You Take Prozac?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been taking prozac for 6 years continuously, now. My doctor wants me to stay on it because I have a history of moderate to severe chronic depression and anxiety. She said that if I stop, my depression could be harder to treat. I am doing well on 35mg per day and I am living a full life but I am concerned with taking it for so long. Does anyone know how long you can take it?

Aprilb

You might also be interested in:

Posted

(((April)))

You can take it really any duration of time that you feel you need it. There's some debate/discussion over how long AD's last, and for some they "poop" out after a long while of being on them. But if it's still working for you and you're having good quality of life on it, don't be concerned. If there are any long term effects of taking it, they should be known by your doctor or pharmacist if you'd like to ask them. That way if there are any long terms effects to any part of your body, you can let your GP know that and perhaps monitor it to put your mind at ease.

Many people take an AD for years and years, some even for the rest of their lives. If they are working, that's great and I can't see anything to worry about. Just remember that if you ever start to feel like it's not working well for you anymore, you let your doc know.

Posted

I took Prozac 14+ years. it stopped working and was changed to diffrerent medications. I had no adverse long term effects. My doc would do annual liver function tests as somes ADs assimilate through the liver.

I would say as a non-professional, if it continues working for you, stay on it. If you feel it's no longer effective, talk to your pdoc.

Sheepwoman