Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Can A "psychologist" Write Prescriptions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rtp69

rtp69

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

Can a "Psychologist" write prescriptions?

I called one today and they said they could write prescriptions because they have a PhD? (Can they write scripts for any drug)
Could this be true?

I have always been under the impression that ONLY a "Psychiatrist" could write prescriptions.

Thanks,

rt

#2 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

Psychologists cannot write prescriptions for any type of medication. If they are also a nurse practitioner, they are allowed to write prescriptions under the auspices of the psychiatrist/physician they work with.

Ph.D. is a Doctor of Philosophy degree; not a medical degree.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#3 Deepster

Deepster

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

rtp69-

Since we don't know where you live, this is an impossible question to answer. In Louisiana and New Mexicco "clinical" pshycologist can indeed prescribe medications to patients. They may need special licsensure or some kind of higher accrediatation than a masters degree, but nontheless, they can "prescribe". Clinical psychologists in the military service are in general also allowed to prescribe medicatioins. If you reside in the above states or are employed in the military, your tdoc, especially given Ph.D status may indeed be allowed to prescribe your meds.

Warmest Regards,
Deepster

Edited by Deepster, 13 January 2010 - 10:29 PM.

Posted Image

#4 rtp69

rtp69

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:14 AM

Thanks for everyone's response. I am in CA.

rt

rtp69-

Since we don't know where you live, this is an impossible question to answer. In Louisiana and New Mexicco "clinical" pshycologist can indeed prescribe medications to patients. They may need special licsensure or some kind of higher accrediatation than a masters degree, but nontheless, they can "prescribe". Clinical psychologists in the military service are in general also allowed to prescribe medicatioins. If you reside in the above states or are employed in the military, your tdoc, especially given Ph.D status may indeed be allowed to prescribe your meds.

Warmest Regards,
Deepster

#5 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

rt,
I'm in CA, too. Ph. D.'s cannot prescribe meds in this state. I see a nurse practitioner/psychologist for my meds. She has a psychiatrist overseeing her work and authorizing the prescriptions she writes.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#6 girly119

girly119

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

Psychologists cannot perscribe medications. However, there are some psychologists/pschiatrists who have two degrees- one in psychology and another in psychiatry- who can. But a normal psychologist can't. You don't necessarily have to see a psychiatrist though. Once you have a few psychiatrists appointments and you're on (a) medication(s) that you know works, your physician can perscribe you the medication(s). :sigh:

"May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand."

#7 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:21 AM

Hi rtp69,

In the UK only a qualified Medical Doctor can prescribe medication. A nurse practitioner can prescribe only basic medication that does not require a Doctors Examination .

A Psychiatrist is a qualified MD and can prescribe meds.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users