Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rtp69

Can A "psychologist" Write Prescriptions?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

Can a "Psychologist" write prescriptions?

I called one today and they said they could write prescriptions because they have a PhD? (Can they write scripts for any drug)

Could this be true?

I have always been under the impression that ONLY a "Psychiatrist" could write prescriptions.

Thanks,

rt

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Psychologists cannot write prescriptions for any type of medication. If they are also a nurse practitioner, they are allowed to write prescriptions under the auspices of the psychiatrist/physician they work with.

Ph.D. is a Doctor of Philosophy degree; not a medical degree.

Sheepwoman

Posted (edited)

rtp69-

Since we don't know where you live, this is an impossible question to answer. In Louisiana and New Mexicco "clinical" pshycologist can indeed prescribe medications to patients. They may need special licsensure or some kind of higher accrediatation than a masters degree, but nontheless, they can "prescribe". Clinical psychologists in the military service are in general also allowed to prescribe medicatioins. If you reside in the above states or are employed in the military, your tdoc, especially given Ph.D status may indeed be allowed to prescribe your meds.

Warmest Regards,

Deepster

Edited by Deepster

Posted

Thanks for everyone's response. I am in CA.

rt

rtp69-

Since we don't know where you live, this is an impossible question to answer. In Louisiana and New Mexicco "clinical" pshycologist can indeed prescribe medications to patients. They may need special licsensure or some kind of higher accrediatation than a masters degree, but nontheless, they can "prescribe". Clinical psychologists in the military service are in general also allowed to prescribe medicatioins. If you reside in the above states or are employed in the military, your tdoc, especially given Ph.D status may indeed be allowed to prescribe your meds.

Warmest Regards,

Deepster

Posted

rt,

I'm in CA, too. Ph. D.'s cannot prescribe meds in this state. I see a nurse practitioner/psychologist for my meds. She has a psychiatrist overseeing her work and authorizing the prescriptions she writes.

Sheepwoman

Posted

Psychologists cannot perscribe medications. However, there are some psychologists/pschiatrists who have two degrees- one in psychology and another in psychiatry- who can. But a normal psychologist can't. You don't necessarily have to see a psychiatrist though. Once you have a few psychiatrists appointments and you're on (a) medication(s) that you know works, your physician can perscribe you the medication(s). :sigh:

Posted

Hi rtp69,

In the UK only a qualified Medical Doctor can prescribe medication. A nurse practitioner can prescribe only basic medication that does not require a Doctors Examination .

A Psychiatrist is a qualified MD and can prescribe meds.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow