Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Paxil And Your Sleep - For People On It At Least A Month.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: How did you sleep on paxil? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

How did you sleep on paxil?

1. I slept better than in the past. (15 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. I slept about the same as in the past. (11 votes [26.19%])

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

3. I slept worse than in the past. (16 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ribosome77

ribosome77

ID: 37602

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

Hi. Wondering how everyone slept on paxil after the initial startup period. You can comment of the startup period too - but only vote considering after this period.

I remember having vivid dreams at startup, but I cannot recall how I slept while I was on it. I do remember being tired in the day however.

#2 Aerial

Aerial

ID: 10760

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

HI, ribosome77!

I've used Paxil for about five years now and I've always taken Xanax at bedtime so I'm not sure I'm a good judge.

I also take Wellbutrin with the Paxil so, I have the sense that, energy wise, they balance each other out. That's how it works for me, anyway.

I think there'll be more people stopping by to post about their experiences with Paxil. It seems like everyone has a slightly different experience!

We are always here for you ribosome,
Aerial
Posted ImagePosted Image

"We've been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we've done..."

(Song of Bernadette, lyrics by Leonard Cohen)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." James Taylor

#3 ribosome77

ribosome77

ID: 37602

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

HI, ribosome77!

I've used Paxil for about five years now and I've always taken Xanax at bedtime so I'm not sure I'm a good judge.

I also take Wellbutrin with the Paxil so, I have the sense that, energy wise, they balance each other out. That's how it works for me, anyway.

I think there'll be more people stopping by to post about their experiences with Paxil. It seems like everyone has a slightly different experience!

We are always here for you ribosome,
Aerial

THanks - you brought up a good point - people are sometimes on multiple medicines. I'd also assume that your wellbutrin probably gives you more energy and offset any other sedation.

#4 Guest_Mephistopheles_*

Guest_Mephistopheles_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:24 AM

When I first went on Paxil I had nightmares more frequently, and whilst on it my dreams were more vivid until I got used to it. I also found I needed much less less sleep whilst on it, and that if I tried to sleep as long as usual then my sleep was disturbed. The real problem was actually coming off it. I did this over a period of about 3 months about a year ago and I suffered sleep paralysis - where I would wake up but be unable to move and would often see dream images. It was very disturbing. Apparently it's quite rare but I didn't like it at all. I also found paxil only helped my anxiety but never really my depression - hell my wife left me over my depression whils I was taking it even though it had helped my anxiety a lot.

#5 Hopeless Endless

Hopeless Endless

Just Registered

ID: 45387

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hi. Wondering how everyone slept on paxil after the initial startup period. You can comment of the startup period too - but only vote considering after this period.

I remember having vivid dreams at startup, but I cannot recall how I slept while I was on it. I do remember being tired in the day however.

Well I am also on a sleeping pill so i "sleep" but i always dream and i always remeber so i'm not actually sleeping soundly. I'm technically unconsious for longer but im more exauhsted now then before.

#6 jeannttaf87

jeannttaf87

ID: 44846

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:48 AM

My sleep has been weird lately. I have been on paxil since January 1 2010. And I just recently realized that my sleep has been different. I wake up in the middle of then ight more frequently. Also, I have been having weirder dreams. It is so crazy to me that you dreams can be affected by an anti-depressant. But last night I dreamed some crazy stuff. And a lot of old memories have been coming up in my dreams. But I sleep. I know I am more tired it seems. And yea. So, thats my experience thus far. I hope my sharing has helped.

#7 HollyS

HollyS

ID: 20886

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

while on paxil, seroquel, and wellbutrin, I slept like a baby.

The paxil has since taken control however, and I have given up the seroquel for sleep at night - can now fall asleep by myself again!

Since then tho, I have been having really weird and vivid dreams and I find I can't sleep as well as I use to with the seroquel, but that's normal. I have a sound sleep until about 5:30-6:30 am then its all over from there. The dreams are kinda quirky, but if i wake up they're far easier to shake off now, than before I started on seroquel in the beginning. Paxil has replaced seroquel for me with help to sleep, lessened my anexiety and therefore lessened my anger towards certian things in my life. Now - I just don't care! It's a great feeling, wish I would have had this 13 years ago.

Whether the wellbutrin + paxil that I am taking now offsets and helps the other I don't know. I started wellbutrin before paxil and never felt any major effects. Its the paxil, for me that did the trick.

I have energy level problems as well, and the wellbutrin helped a little, but its by no means a fix. The paxil on the other hand I will consider a fix for my anexiety for sure. It made me more carefree - I like that. I needed that.

I have been off seroquel for 5 days now since starting it nearly 4 years ago becuase of the anger i had within me and the inability to sleep right. I started wellbutrin last december, and paxil this past january. I'm glad to have finally found the correct medication and diagnosis for my problems, even if they aren't all solved yet - I feel I am on my way to a good solution.

#8 crumbs_penfold

crumbs_penfold

ID: 50257

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Hi all,

I've been taking Paxil (labelled as Seroxat here in Ireland) consistently for about 2 years now and on & off for the previous 7 years. Similar to other people I often have very vivid dreams/nightmares. I see a lot of people have difficulty sleeping with Paxil, I'm at the other end of the scale and average about 13/14 hours and sometimes up to 20 hours sleep. Needless to say this is less than ideal.

Has anyone had a similar experience? and if so has a change in medication or the addition of a second medication helped?

#9 Rob1

Rob1

ID: 14056

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

First week or so was not great but now as normal. Normal was what I voted.

#10 icebaby

icebaby

ID: 47621

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

My sleep is absolutely horrendous. It's always been bad, but I have noticed it worsening the last about 3 years while i've been on Paroxetine.

I have bouts of insomnia and bouts of hypersomnia. I have very vivid almost film like dreams and I remember parts of them for many years. I can right now recall and visualise a dream I had about being in a fairground when I was about 13/14 which is now 15/16 years ago, yet I can remember it as if i dreamt it last night...

Music is life

When everything is war, you're living in a battle zone
When everything is torn, and the world is cold as stone
When life holds you down, like you're drowning at sea
I'm the hand that you need, 'til you land at your own destiny
Reach out for me

I'm too tired to go to bed, I'm too wired for anything except the crossfire in my head
It's been a long night, cos I took all I can take, til the walls shook and the windows break
I want to phone you but it's far too late, it's been a long night

Daily fighting my fight. Battling BPD, Depression, OCD, EED, Anxiety,

#11 1099

Platinum Member

ID: 45372

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

My sleep is absolutely horrendous. It's always been bad, but I have noticed it worsening the last about 3 years while i've been on Paroxetine.

I have bouts of insomnia and bouts of hypersomnia. I have very vivid almost film like dreams and I remember parts of them for many years. I can right now recall and visualise a dream I had about being in a fairground when I was about 13/14 which is now 15/16 years ago, yet I can remember it as if i dreamt it last night...

What time of day do you take it?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Be who you are and say what you feel...
those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

A little blank, a little numb, but always trying to have some fun!

Manic-Depression (Bipolar 1, rapid cycling)

Lithium: 1500mg, Lamictal: 300mg, Abilify: 10mg, Latuda: 40mg, Seroquel: 100mg

#12 icebaby

icebaby

ID: 47621

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

In the evening, that's when I was told to by the doctor. Why? Can it have different affects with taking at different times?

Music is life

When everything is war, you're living in a battle zone
When everything is torn, and the world is cold as stone
When life holds you down, like you're drowning at sea
I'm the hand that you need, 'til you land at your own destiny
Reach out for me

I'm too tired to go to bed, I'm too wired for anything except the crossfire in my head
It's been a long night, cos I took all I can take, til the walls shook and the windows break
I want to phone you but it's far too late, it's been a long night

Daily fighting my fight. Battling BPD, Depression, OCD, EED, Anxiety,

#13 1099

Platinum Member

ID: 45372

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

In the evening, that's when I was told to by the doctor. Why? Can it have different affects with taking at different times?

Not in all cases. Everyone is different. But in my case, my doctor had me taking it in the morning. That didn't work so well. I was jumpy and agitated during the day and had a very hard time sleeping at night. I discussed with my doc and we decided that I should take it a couple hours before bed. That worked wonders! I was able to sleep off the side effects and within a few days, my sleep schedule was back to normal.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Be who you are and say what you feel...
those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

A little blank, a little numb, but always trying to have some fun!

Manic-Depression (Bipolar 1, rapid cycling)

Lithium: 1500mg, Lamictal: 300mg, Abilify: 10mg, Latuda: 40mg, Seroquel: 100mg

#14 Bubblehead

Bubblehead

ID: 69714

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:30 AM

Well as a kid about five years ago I took small amount of Paroxetine hydrochloride for six months. And it actually helped me sleep well, instead of usual 45-100 minutes it took often less than 20 to fall asleep. Withdrawing the trug gave few sleepless nights though.
"There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender"
- Babylon 5

#15 Gamexland

Gamexland

ID: 68131

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

i am eating 20mg in morning with combination provigil and 20mg before bed.

my sleep is very well.

I have: General Anxiety Disorder - Depression - Narcolepsy - excesive daytime sleepness - Migraine - Tic disorder  

My currently meds:  Sertraline 200mg(Zoloft)  ,  Quetiapine 25mg(Seroquel)  ,  Propranolol 100mg(Generic)  

My previous meds: Citalopram , Alprazolam , Depakene(sodium valproate) , Haloperidol , Perphenazine , Fluoxetine , Clomipramine , Nortriptyline , Amitriptyline , Venlafaxine , Clonazepam , Dihydroergotamine , Properanolol , Buspirone , Chlordiazepoxide   & more...

#16 Blueman85

Blueman85

ID: 111391

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

I stated taking paxil friday with half pills. First night was fine, second night was not very good and the third night was awful, probably only 3 hours of sleep off and on. 4th and 5th night we like the second.

I am now taking the full 30 mg pill. So far I have experiences the following side effects: shaky hands, restless legs, sweating, headaches, and nausea.

I take the pill a couple hours before bed and see most of the side effects at night or in the morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users