Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Lyrica (pregabalin) For Anxiety/gad

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 daze45

daze45

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hi Everyone

I'm a long-time lurker, but first time poster so here goes........

I've been prescribed many anti-depresssants (mainly SSRIs) over the last 2 years by my GP for my Depression & anxiety, but haven't been able to bring myself to take anything because I am, quite literally, TERRIFIED of the side effects of AD's, or any pysciatric medication. I have huge anxiety around my health, so when I get home and read the long list of side effects that come with most pysciatric meds it literally freaks me out and stops me from taking them.

However, I've reached a point now where I just cannot take the anxiety and sleeping problems that I'm going through and I've realised I'm going to have to take some sort of med to help me get better. My main problems at the moment are anxiety - I feel consantly on edge and almost persistently worry & feel anxious about things, and a severly disrupted sleep pattern, vivid dreams (often nightmares) and at worst insomnia. The lack of sleep is leaving me feeling completely drained and is driving me mad. Add to that I can't usually get off to sleep before 5/6am and so end up trying to sleep until mid-afternoon and I can't seem to break myself out of that sleeping pattern. I doesn't help I can't currently work and rarely feel able to leave the house (again due to anxiety), which I am getting help with now from my local mental health team.

Anyway, a new pysciatrist I have just seen has prescribed Pregabalin for my anxiety, and to help me sleep, but I am worried about taking it because it's such a new medication and also the side effects. Apparently it was licensed for Generalised Anxiety Disorder here in the UK a few months ago and according to my pdoc, when it works for people with GAD it works wonders. He's only put me on 25mg once a night, and he said at such a low dose I probably won't feel any effect at all, but I'm still terrified of taking it.

Has anyone got any experience of taking Lyrica/Pregabalin, on it's own just for GAD? Does it work? What are the most common side effects anyone has experienced? Any feedback would be really helpful.

Thanks very much.

#2 tez

tez

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

Hi

I understand your worries with medications, I am a bit the same. I too have also just started a new medication called Agomelatine.

I have not heard of Lyrica and when I looked it up, it said it is an anti-convulsant mediaction and good for GAD. I am on an anti-convulanst called Lamictal (Lamotrigine) for GAD and I had absolutely no side effects when I started on it. For me, I definitely have noticed an improvement although I do still need the assistance of other meds to help with my depression and GAD also.

Best of luck,
Tez
"Come to the edge He said.
They said, We are afraid.
Come to the edge, He said.
They came. He pushed them...and they flew"

(Fear by Guillaume Apollinaire)

My Dx: Major Depression with Generalised Anxiety Disorder

#3 daze45

daze45

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the quick response Tez. I guess Lyrica is quite a new medication for the treatment of GAD. I'd be interested to know if it's licensed for GAD in any other countries, other than the UK. I've searched for threads on it in these forums and can't seem to find many people who've said they've used it for GAD, mainly it seems people have been prescribed it for certain types of pain, and I know it's used for epilepsy.

Anyone who's got any extra info. on this drug or similar types of drugs, even if you haven't taken Lyrica yourself, would be very helpful.

Edited by daze45, 08 January 2010 - 06:56 PM.

#4 tez

tez

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Hi Daze

I could only see that it is approved in the European Union. The new med that I am on is not approved in the USA or Australia either, so it is hard to get feedback from others. I hope someone else can help out.

Maybe they both work so well that no-one on either of our meds has sought the need to join this forum? :shocked:

Tez

ps Mine is called Valdoxan (Agomelatine)
"Come to the edge He said.
They said, We are afraid.
Come to the edge, He said.
They came. He pushed them...and they flew"

(Fear by Guillaume Apollinaire)

My Dx: Major Depression with Generalised Anxiety Disorder

#5 johnbobmeister

johnbobmeister

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

Hi Everyone

I've been prescribed many anti-depresssants (mainly SSRIs) over the last 2 years by my GP for my Depression & anxiety, but haven't been able to bring myself to take anything because I am, quite literally, TERRIFIED of the side effects of AD's, or any pysciatric medication. I have huge anxiety around my health, so when I get home and read the long list of side effects that come with most pysciatric meds it literally freaks me out and stops me from taking them.

However, I've reached a point now where I just cannot take the anxiety and sleeping problems that I'm going through and I've realised I'm going to have to take some sort of med to help me get better. My main problems at the moment are anxiety - I feel consantly on edge and almost persistently worry & feel anxious about things, and a severly disrupted sleep pattern, vivid dreams (often nightmares) and at worst insomnia. The lack of sleep is leaving me feeling completely drained and is driving me mad. Add to that I can't usually get off to sleep before 5/6am and so end up trying to sleep until mid-afternoon and I can't seem to break myself out of that sleeping pattern. I doesn't help I can't currently work and rarely feel able to leave the house (again due to anxiety), which I am getting help with now from my local mental health team.

Anyway, a new pysciatrist I have just seen has prescribed Pregabalin for my anxiety, and to help me sleep, but I am worried about taking it because it's such a new medication and also the side effects. Apparently it was licensed for Generalised Anxiety Disorder here in the UK a few months ago and according to my pdoc, when it works for people with GAD it works wonders. He's only put me on 25mg once a night, and he said at such a low dose I probably won't feel any effect at all, but I'm still terrified of taking it.

Has anyone got any experience of taking Lyrica/Pregabalin, on it's own just for GAD? Does it work? What are the most common side effects anyone has experienced? Any feedback would be really helpful.

Thanks very much.

Hi,

I understand how you feel - many of us out there do (probably millions). You are not alone.

A few things:

First, I do not recommend getting medication for depression/anxiety/etc from a GP. They are merely family doctors. If you want to start to get better, stick with the psychiatrist that you are seeing - your issues are their specialties.

Second, Lyrica will eventually be licensed in the United States for GAD but for now, its licensed in the UK and the rest of the EU.

Third, Lyrica is probably one of the best medications out there for anxiety (GAD). I have been on it now for 3 months. I have had zero side effects and I take 600mg (began at 150mg). 25mg you take is considerably low, probably too low. Speak to your doc.

Fourth, if you do get bad side effects, which is rare, you can always get off of it.

Fifth, I have been on SSRI's before and it did help me but it absolutely destroyed my libido. That is why I tried something new. It has worked. I am taking it in combination with something else (Mirtazapine) which also does not effect libido. I feel great and my sex drive is back

Sorry for all of the bullet points but its easier to make a list than to ramble on and on. I hope this has somewhat helped. Just know that you are not alone and that you can try a number of medications until you find the right one. Don't be afraid of trying new meds - be afraid of being too scared to make your life better.

Best wishes

JBM

#6 elocin

elocin

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

I have been on Pregabalin (Lyrica) for a week now. I asked my doctor to prescribe it to me instead of antidepressants and benzodiazepines for Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

I started with 75 mg 2x/day for 3 days, then upped it to 150 mg 2x/day.

So far I can't handle it. It takes about an hour to kick in, but when it does I get so spacey and lose all motor function and concentration. My eyes get blurry too. It's kind of like being really stoned, but not a good feeling. I have heard people compare it's effects to ecstacy and GHB, but I don't think it feels like that at all. There is a huge amount of depersonalization, and I am taking a relatively small dose. I did notice a little bit of a tactile element to it, meaning I like to touch things, and I got a massage which felt wonderful. My sex drive seems to have actually increased a bit. Other side effects are that I feel very lethargic and heavy...

As far as anxiety goes? I have not noticed that it helps at all. I am still anxious and my mind still runs like a propeller.

I am going to give it another week to see if the effects wear off and the good effects kick in, otherwise I will give up on this drug.

#7 ComeUndone

ComeUndone

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

I know I'm late to the party but I thought I'd chime in for anyone else who is curious about Lyrica.

...I've reached a point now where I just cannot take the anxiety and sleeping problems that I'm going through and I've realised I'm going to have to take some sort of med to help me get better. My main problems at the moment are anxiety - I feel consantly on edge and almost persistently worry & feel anxious about things, and a severly disrupted sleep pattern, vivid dreams (often nightmares) and at worst insomnia. The lack of sleep is leaving me feeling completely drained and is driving me mad.

This was totally me. I have GAD and aside from being a virtual recluse due to fear, I was totally obsessing about death and disease and couldn't sleep because of it and when I did I had nightmares. Thankfully, my doctor prescribed Lyrica and it worked almost instantly. She started me on 50mg twice a day, then 100 and I'm now on 150, as due to my mother's ill health yo-yoing I keep becoming more anxious but that aside, the obsessing about ill health and death has ceased, thank God. The only side affect is lethargy/tiredness but I can live with it. It's better than the obsessing and insomnia due to such. HTH

#8 cvoor

cvoor

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

No side effects here either. A little drowsiness when I first started it, just took a nap. Been on it ever since for nerve pain, and it causes me no problems, I'm on 75mg x 2 a day.

#9 Debs247

Debs247

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Hi,
I have been taking pregabalin for some months now. I have had most anti depressants over the years for GAD...But none have quite hit the mark. I have always had to back upwith diazepam and sleeping tablets. I get very "panicky" at the thought of the possible side effects when I am put on new medication. So understand your dilemma. I went from 50 to 100 to 200 to 400mg in 3weeks. Much too quick. I felt really "drunk" and "out of it". So have dropped down to 200mg and things are so much better. I just had to give it time. Have been on that dose now for a few months and rarely need diazepam for anxiety. If I do "up" the dose, I will take it slowly. Unfortunately there is no magic pill for GAD. I have to work quite hard, good diet, exercise and routine. If I have a bad nights sleep, Istill get up at 8am ragardless, struggle through the day but then sleep comes much more naturally. GAD is horrble, to someone who has never experienced that level of anxiety, it's like
describing the colour blue to a blind person. They are just never going to get it! Really hope this helps... Good luck x

Hi Everyone

Thanks very much.

#10 guelfo

guelfo

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

Lyrica is approved in Brazil for GAD also. I dont know if I can take it with Effexor XR and Trazodone, I will speak to my doctor saturday.

Effexor is working good but not as good as I expected. At least I feel better than with lexapro (20mg)

Im taking 225mg effexor and 50 trazodone as a sleep aid and works great as well as a anti-depressant.

Take care

#11 BurningMan

BurningMan

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hi, welcome!

I understand your concerns to some extent, I also at first refused SSRI's because of the side-effects I've read about, and tried something a bit easier but also not so effective. I went on to paxil after that and to be honest, right now it's like I am not taking anything, I get a bit of dry mouth and some sexual "side-effects" (benefits actually, I get better mileage now, so to speak, might be less anxiety on that). I've also tried a couple more meds and my general experience is that most of the time you don't get any side-effects.

The reason most of these meds have such long lists of often bizarre and scary side-effects is that they are so well tested, which is really a plus. Every negative effect that is noticed gets reported and they write them down, mostly to avoid any liability and to protect themselves but also to inform that 1 in 10000 person that this could happen. I've seen severe side-effects that are only writen down because at the time of them happenenig the person was coincidentally taking the med. So don't worry that much about side-effects, it is more likely that you won't observe any and that the ones you do get are mild and will pass. Meds are getting safer by the decade if not faster and the risk/reward ratio is looking pretty good for a lot of them.

Anyway, can't really give you any specific information on Lyrica as I don't know about that med to well but I wish you all the best and try to look at the frequency with which the side-effects are reported to happen, to get a clearer picture on what they mean. As a fun thought, I think the side-effect list for bacon would be worse then the one for any SSRI's for example...Posted Image

#12 guelfo

guelfo

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

My doctor thinks its better not to take lyrica. Im taking effexor xr, trazodone and he added buspar (15mg). Hope it works for GAD and depression

#13 cobbdaokie

cobbdaokie

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

I have taken lyrica for anxiety for 6months. I am bipolar and I have taken quite a few meds since I was diagnosed. My psych switched me to Lyrica after getting sketchy while taking 2800mgs of Gabapentin. I now take 100mg in morning, 100mg in afternoon and 200mg at night. I am also taking Lamotrigine, 25mg in morning and 100mg at night. I also take Seroquel 100mg in the morning and 600mg at night. My anxiety did improve significantly when the lyrica was increased. I hope I don't offend anyone and I will try to keep it as clean as possible to describe a side affect that I have not heard of. I don't have as much sensation on a key part of my anatomy, Im a male, during intercourse. Being a medication primarily for nerve pain, it makes sense that not just pain is being blocked from the nerves. This medication could be prescribed for anyone with Premature issues. I have had to skip a dose before sex to be able to finish. I hope Im not out of line and certainly do not intend to offend anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users