Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Living Like A Recluse

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Argamemnon

Argamemnon

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:23 PM

I haven't gone outside for 5 days and have not spoken to anyone and feel great. I would love to live like a recluse and never ever having to deal with people again. Is this normal? According to my psychiatrist it's "perfectly normal".

I can take a walk or ride a bike and feel ok, but as soon as I have to talk to people I start feeling anxious and my mind is being tortured. Anyone else dreaming about living like a recluse, or am I a very extreme case?

Edited by Argamemnon, 29 December 2009 - 02:54 PM.

• ChantewaeEugenioboe likes this

#2 Symora

Symora

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

Hi Argamemnon, I don't think you're wrong in wanting to be alone. I know that I have been doing my best to be alone for months now. I feel OK with it too, and prefer it for the time being. In speaking to my therapist about it, he started saying that he had thought about that too at some point - just a bike and ski doo, somewhere with no neighbours :shocked: Does sound divine, and he says it's OK, that sometimes we need it ...

For me, I think it does involve grieving, some fear of people, fear of being hurt, and I'm not sure it's that good for me.... I suffer from depression and the isolation just feeds my compulsive thinking. When I'm around people I can at least see some other perspectives. It is nice to get a hug once in awhile as well, a kind word, support when I am going through something. I think whatever works for you... just ensure that you don't end up an old grumpy curmudgeon :wwww: Too much isolation can make us lose track of what's going on in the larger world I think, and that's not good. So I think the best formula is to ensure we do nurture some human contact, just so we can continue to function effectively in society...

Salut Symora

Edited by Symora, 29 December 2009 - 04:15 PM.

Symora

#3 Cim

Cim

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

I really isolated for a while once I lost my job. I'm not sure it felt good... it just didn't feel bad. I guess it maybe normal to want to do this for a week or two... but I'd say highly unusual to do so over the course of a life time.

Overall, I wish I hadn't done it (the isolation for several months after job loss) and sought more help / connections at the time.

That was my experience... I hope that helps.

#4 elviesttey

elviesttey

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

I isolate by staying in bed all the time, not eating with other people, shutting myself in my office instead of socializing at work, etc. No friends, no life. I don't even listen to music or radio in the car because then it feels like there's someone with me.

My therapist is trying to help me through this through relaxation therapy. I have a totally isolated spot (a cabin in the mountains, for me) that I can fabricate every detail of to my exact specifications, and I can slowly visualize myself there to take me out of intense situations where I'm overwhelmed, over-peopled, or am having high anxiety. It takes practice to get to a level where this visualization is quickly accessible, but it's worth it. Once you've fully acclimated yourself to your "place" (I often go to sleep in mine), you can jump into fairly quickly-- and there's no one there but you. Visualization's not for everyone, but it might be something to try.

#5 mike72760

mike72760

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

I really isolated for a while once I lost my job. I'm not sure it felt good... it just didn't feel bad. I guess it maybe normal to want to do this for a week or two... but I'd say highly unusual to do so over the course of a life time.

Overall, I wish I hadn't done it (the isolation for several months after job loss) and sought more help / connections at the time.

That was my experience... I hope that helps.

I've been doing somewhat the same thing. I have been unemployed for 8mos and for the most part my job was also my social life. My 13 yr old daughter lives with me but I still spend WAY too much time by myself in the house. I am VERY concerned about the future and finding a job but this is the 3rd time I've been laid off in 10 yrs.I also have atrial fibrulation and try to be as calm as possible so as not to trigger episodes. Sorry, I kind of got off the subject..anyway, my previous counselor was always on me to develop a solid support system but other than family I really only have aquaintances and as sad as this may sound no REALLY close friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users