Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Lexapro (Escitalopram) ® Abrupt Discontinuation

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

• Super Administrators
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

Lexapro (Escitalopram) ® Abrupt Discontinuation
After 8 weeks of treatment with citalopram, abrupt discontinuation of treatment caused a higher incidence of anxiety, emotional indifference, impaired concentration, headache, migraine, paresthesia, and tremor than was seen in patients who continued on citalopram. These symptoms are not indicative of addiction.

Although it is not known whether gradual discontinuation will prevent the discontinuation symptoms, it is recommended that the dosage of citalopram should be tapered off over 1 to 2 weeks

Posted Image ©

Pakage insert- Discontinuation of Treatment with Lexapro

During marketing of Lexapro and other SSRIs and SNRIs (serotonin and
norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors), there have been spontaneous reports
of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly
when abrupt, including the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation,
dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric
shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability,
insomnia, and hypomania. While these events are generally self-limiting,
there have been reports of serious discontinuation symptoms.
Patients should be monitored for these symptoms when discontinuing
treatment with Lexapro.

A gradual reduction in the dose rather than abrupt
cessation is recommended whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms
occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment,
then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered.
Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a
Clinical Worsening and Suicide Risk: Patients, their families, and their
caregivers should be encouraged to be alert to the emergence of anxiety,
agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness,
impulsivity, akathisia (psychomotor restlessness), hypomania, mania,
other unusual changes in behavior, worsening of depression, and suicidal
ideation, especially early during antidepressant treatment and when the
dose is adjusted up or down.

Families and caregivers of patients should
be advised to observe for the emergence of such symptoms on a day-today
basis, since changes may be abrupt. Such symptoms should be
reported to the patient’s prescriber or health professional, especially if
they are severe, abrupt in onset, or were not part of the patient’s presenting
symptoms. Symptoms such as these may be associated with an
increased risk for suicidal thinking and behavior and indicate a need for
very close monitoring and possibly changes in the medication.

If you have any questions, discuss them with your doctor or healthcare professional. For additional information about Lexapro, call the Forest Professional Affairs Department toll-free at 800-678-1605, extension 66297.

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

Forum Super Administrator
DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.  
My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#2 AOD

AOD

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:14 AM

This was one of the things that really kept me from starting on Lex right away after I had been prescribed it. I would be curious to know if anyone here has stopped Lex and how that went for them. I have read elsewhere on the net about folks having trouble but in the end, for me at least, I couldn't stand the depression, anxiety and panic attacks anymore. I figure that if one tapers down appropriately and over the right amount of time that this would be minimal if at all. Thoughts?

AOD
Assembly Of Dust

#3 geogirl

geogirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

The first time I was on Lexapro I accidently got pregnant. I had to wean off of it in 3 days. Needless to say, my body didn't particularly like it. I had the worst case of morning sickness ever. Okay--maybe not the worst case but I sure didn't feel well at all. My pdoc thinks I was feeling nasty because of withdrawls. Only time will tell!

I'll be starting to wean myself off Lexapro in April. I'll do it SLOWLY this time. My pdoc said to cut my dosage in half down to 5 mg. I'll do this for a few months and then go down to 2.5 mg and then off of it. He said I'll most likely be off by the end of summer.

When I went back on last September I told him how worried I was about the weaning off process. He said he'd work with me on it. I'll keep everyone informed of how it goes when the time comes.

Good luck to everyone!

Laura :)

#4 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:29 AM

Laura, you should have it much easier this time by tapering off slowly. I wish you well with it!
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#5 scorpiosister19

scorpiosister19

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

I have an interesting story - my mom works for a neurologist... very trusted doctor and she has worked with for years. I had been on Zoloft for about 9 years before he switched me to Lexapro, as he felt it was a new and better drug. Well, I am tired of not feeling ANYTHING at all. And then being completely emotional when nothing is happening! I don't like the drug and am ready to get off. His advice: quit cold turkey. I don't know who to believe! I have been off of it for two days, and feel perfectly fine, but as I have read, most people start feeling the side effects of withdrawal awhile after the stop. I am so confused!

#6 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:54 PM

Can you conslt with a psychiatrist (they specialize in these medications for mood disorders)? My personal experience has been the slower the better, as far as discontinuing goes.
Do you have plans to go back on Zoloft or another med?
Let us know how you're doing...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#7 Guest_casesensative_*

Guest_casesensative_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:11 PM

I tapered off of 10mg Lexapro over the span of 2 weeks.

I experienced brain shocks for a month after coming off.

I have just recently started a low dosage of zoloft, so maybe this wont be a problem this time around, i dont know if this is common with Zoloft as well or just a Lexapro thing.

#8 Nick481480

Nick481480

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:13 AM

I have been taking Cipralex for 3 weeks & seeing some improvement definitely, I am a little worried about when I come off them...

#9 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

I would concentrate on the improvements! Don't get ahead of yourself.
i've had little or no problems discontinuing a number of meds. I think it helps that I always do it very slowly, and under a doctor's care.
It's unfortunate that there can be discontinuation effects, but not everyone experiences them.
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#10 Dooin' it

Dooin' it

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

And on that note................

My pdoc is big on *staying* on the meds. I was fine for 3 years on Celexa at 20mg between '03 and now, but I was also fine for 4 years when I went off between '99 and '03.

His biggest concern is that the same med doesn't always work again if/when you try to start it up again.

That hasn't been my problem, but I'd be curious if anybody has evidence to suggest that.

He always directed me to a study done over a 5 year period where people were there were 3 control groups.

Group 1...................Taking meds & not changing anything over the entire 5 years

Group 2...................Taking meds, but stopping after 1 year and tapering off

Group 3...................Taking meds and stopping within 90 days (or some such short period)

As one might expect that's about how well they did in order of benefit!

Group 1 = Best Results w/ very few relapses within the 5 year period.
Group 2 = So-So results w/ significant relapses before the end of the 5 year period.
Group 3 = Worst results w/ many relapses before the end of 5 year period.

Is anybody familiar with this study??? Anybody have a newer version of the same study???

I believe it was done in the mid 90's. (IIRC) Anybody got any opinions with or without a study???????????

Edited by Dooin' it, 29 March 2006 - 05:15 PM.

Isaiah 54:17a "No weapon forged against you will succeed;"

I Peter 5: 6,7 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety upon Him for he cares for you."

Recommended reading........"Feeling Good; The New Mood Therapy" by Dr. David Burns

#11 friendly

friendly

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:39 AM

I weaned off lexapro in 1 week with no adverse side effects. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

#12 Chronic Black

Chronic Black

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:41 PM

I missed one or two days of these meds once, because I forgot to pack them on holidays. Anyway I suffered massive dizzy spells. I couldn't walk.

#13 Strange Attractor

Strange Attractor

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:27 PM

I decided to go cold turkey off citalopram when i forgot to pick up a prescription.
BAD IDEA! For the next few days i had increasingly wierd sensory distortion and electric shock sensations shooting through my body. very detached from reality and not in an entertaining way. Got back on them when the depression came thundering back in.
I would reccomend a very slow discontinuation. Buy a scalpel so you can cut the pills neatly into quarters or even smaller and gradually decrease over a couple of months or so. I plan to as soon as i can get my depression up to a level where i can cope with the change.
It seems to be different for some people but if you don't want to risk it- baby steps! I don't know what the best thing to do is if you're going to be switching meds- best ask the doc.
All my get up and go just got up and left

#14 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:50 PM

I agree that slower is better. But I would also be under a doctor's care for discontinuing a med, as well as for making any other changes.
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#15 Killian

Killian

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

Better than a scalpel, you can pick up a pill splitter at the local drug store. They have ones with a rubber grippy area that holds the pill in place super well, and has a really sharp blade that cuts it exactly (it cuts knuckles really well too :hearts: ). I've only cut my pills in halves, but it seems like it would be good enough to cut them in quarters without problem. Mine also has an optional bar that you can attach that must be pushed in to open it (somewhat childproof...pretty much "purse" proof, ie. won't open in your purse and slice your finger when you reach inside). I never knew these things existed, but I'm glad I found mine! Mine came from Rite Aid, but they do have them all over, including online. Just do a search for "pill splitter" to see many versions.

Killi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fly the way you do
The way you dream when love is new
Try to understand
It couldn't last the way you planned

And I know for certain
Every time you fall
You will rise again
Above it all

~~~~[from You Will Rise Again (Capercaille)]~~~~

#16 Strange Attractor

Strange Attractor

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:33 AM

Like the idea of the pill splitter...
Think i'll try that out.
I really think the more gradually you can reduce the better. The less work you make for yourself, the quicker you'll get where you want. I have tried going down by halves before too but it wasn't that great. Also did it too quickly.
Remember trying to bite them in half and searching for shattered bits on the floor?!

I see a lot of people are switching from celexa to lexapro, i heard there is no difference between them and it's a marketing gimmick. Does anyone have a positive experience with the switch?

Good call Lizard, always see the doc before discontinuing.

SA
All my get up and go just got up and left

#17 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:19 AM

Hi Bint_Button, and welcome to the forums! :hearts:

I'm sorry that going off your meds caused such a bad result. Did you talk to your doc before going off them?

Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon now that you are taking your meds again.

Do you feel safe around your family? Is there anyone that you can talk to?

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#18 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

(((((bint_button81)))))
Taking medication is not showing weakness. It takes courage to face this problem, and do what is needed to get symptoms under control. You're taking a major positive step by taking the medication that can help you.
Have you talked to your doctor about your concerns regarding infertility? I'm not aware of this being a problem, and there are a number of anti-AD groups that use scare tactics.
We're here to offer you our support. I hope you begin to feel better soon; please let us know how you're doing...
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#19 Sadie

Sadie

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:11 PM

I missed one or two days of these meds once, because I forgot to pack them on holidays. Anyway I suffered massive dizzy spells. I couldn't walk.

Exactly the same here. My face and hands would go numb and I would fall down. It was terrible.
a thousand miles from who i want to be,
but i'm not dead yet, no, i'm still breathing.

#20 stormmoon78

stormmoon78

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:14 AM

I just recenly ran out of Lexapro as of this past friday. Saturday I was fine but come Sunday, I slept most of the day, until around 8 pm and started getting this weird headache and some dizziness. I also had some mood swings and crying spells. Today I got a pretty bad headache and upset stomach, and had to lie down this afternoon, and then ended up sleeping until just around 2 am. Now I can't go back to sleep.

The clinic I go to has Lexapro ordered for me, which they can get free through the drug company, but it hasn't arrived just yet, and may take up to 3-4 more weeks! Well, they also have a voucher program where you pay only $10 to get a drug and the participating pharmacy will fill it for free, but it's not on there, and I think it's just stupid lol. (I take it that this drug is fairly new so they can't put it on there just yet). Well, Celexa is on there, and they said that I could take that instead, but I didn't want to. Now I kind of wish I had gotten it because I feel terrible! :hearts:

#21 macdryan

macdryan

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

I was on Lexapro for 2 years, up to a max of 20mg. I had no side effects except for a very minor one which quite frankly i could easily have lived with. From the 20mg I slowly went down to 15 and then 10mg but the depression crept back again and I ramped back up to 20mg. Unfortunately it didn't work as well as before so my psychiatrist recommended Lustral. I only stuck it out on this SSRI for 2-3 weeks as I was steadily getting worse. I was put on Gamanil, a tricyclic AD. At the same time as slowly being introduced to this one, I was told to take Lexapro again for 5 days, 20mg the first day, then 10mg for 2 days and 5mg for the fifth day - then nothing except Gamanil. It could have been that it is not recommended to have the two types of AD together but I would have liked to have come off the SSRI a abit slower!
Have been off the SSRIs for just over a week. Am still getting very dizzy and also (although getting better I think) getting hot flushes. Psychiatrist is on hols so I rang my GP who says these are very well known, common withdrawal symptoms from the SSRIs - how come no-one thought to tell me? He also says it will pass - after a couple of weeks?! I have to say the Gamanil is starting to work on the depression - hope the dizziness isn't a side effect of that but is from the Lexapro/SSRI withdrawal. Anyone else had this problem?

#22 eva

eva

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:13 AM

My doctor took me off of the Lexapro cold turkey 2 weeks ago because I came down with a horrible case of the flu, and I dind't feel lexapro was helping me anywyas, so he just stopped me...well huge, mistake. I was okay the 1st day or two, then I kept getting very very bad headaches, they were making me sick and I kept getting extremely extremely dizzy, it was horrible. Not to mention I think for the entire week, all i did was sleep. I don't think my doctor carried out with it the right way, either does my therapist, he wants to look at trying a different medication when he reevaluates me the 29th.
Eva

it's hard when people ask "Whats wrong?" .. and you don't have an answer because the truth is you don't know

if you see me walking with someone else, it's not because i like them. it's because you're, not there to walk beside me.

#23 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:45 AM

How awful! The only time someone should go cold turkey is when it's medically necessary. I know how bad the dizziness can be because when I first started meds, and the initial ones didn't work, my doctor would give me new ones, without information on stopping the old ones, so rather than taper down, I'd go cold turkey and sometimes my head felt that it was going to split apart.

I hope that you find something that will work for you.
...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#24 working_onit

working_onit

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

How come the users:
1.KeepingAwake
2.lizard
Are refering to a post made by user:
1.bint_button81
And I do not see this persons post of any kind?
Has it been deleted or something?

#25 normajean

normajean

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:04 PM

I've stopped taking Celexa 5 days ago (it's my third attempt of discontinuation, I've been on it for over a year, before that it was a year on Zoloft) and I have all the described side-effects: severe dizziness, nausea, flu-like symptoms, abrupt mood swings, crying spells etc. But I'm really determined this time, as I'm not myself while on Citalopram. I see the world differently while on the meds, too, and I hate it.
The previous attempts were all supervised by my doc. All three failed miserably. Since my doc gave up on me a couple of months ago, I've been looking for info on the internet, looking for support of people who've been through this and can give some advice.

#26 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:33 AM

I've stopped taking Celexa 5 days ago (it's my third attempt of discontinuation, I've been on it for over a year, before that it was a year on Zoloft) and I have all the described side-effects: severe dizziness, nausea, flu-like symptoms, abrupt mood swings, crying spells etc. But I'm really determined this time, as I'm not myself while on Citalopram. I see the world differently while on the meds, too, and I hate it.
The previous attempts were all supervised by my doc. All three failed miserably. Since my doc gave up on me a couple of months ago, I've been looking for info on the internet, looking for support of people who've been through this and can give some advice.

Did you stop cold turkey, or did you taper off the medication? Sometimes, I've found when discontinuing, that if the effects get too much, I'll take a pill, or 1/2 a pill. That way, I go every other day, then every third, I basically let my body tell me when it needs it. Also make sure you drink a lot of water - stay hydrated. For some reason, that definitely helps me.

I hope that you find the support you need here, and that you keep posting to let us know how you're doing.
...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#27 normajean

normajean

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:15 AM

Did you stop cold turkey, or did you taper off the medication? Sometimes, I've found when discontinuing, that if the effects get too much, I'll take a pill, or 1/2 a pill. That way, I go every other day, then every third, I basically let my body tell me when it needs it. Also make sure you drink a lot of water - stay hydrated. For some reason, that definitely helps me.

I hope that you find the support you need here, and that you keep posting to let us know how you're doing.

I tried to stop gradually on my previous attempts. In fact, I did exactly what you've described (if the effects were getting unbearable, I took 1/2 a pill) on my last attempt. My last doc said that would be a good way to do it. But that didn't help. So now I just quit. I'm really, really determined not to take any. Though I have to say it's getting worse.
Yesterday the dizziness was horrible, and I'm moving to a new flat right now so it doesn't actually help esp when carrying boxes with my stuff up the stairs :/ I almost fell a couple of times. I am kinda used to feeling like this, since when you're not eating for days at a time you get used to being dizzy & cold. But this is much worse. And this morning I woke up with scratches all over my arms which I must've done in my sleep. I have a history of self-harm but I haven't done it in a long time so this really scared me. I know I have to be strong and somehow get myself together & get through this but it would be so much easier if I had support in real life.

Thank you & take care. :hearts:

#28 auntpuck

auntpuck

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

I cut my Lex in half (down to 5mg) for 2 weeks towards the end of October and then quit taking it. The first couple weeks I had dizzy spells, shock sensations, a torn up stomach and was irritable as a snake. Then I had one week where I felt better physically and emotionally than I've felt in a long time. Since then I've been depressed, now to the point it was before the Lexapro, and I've been just really irritable, impatient and angry, which I wasn't before the Lex. But the side effects of the Lex have gone away - I was constantly tired, couldn't cry even if I wanted to, no motivation, no sex drive, no short-term memory. Well I still have no motivation but I can tell it's from being depressed not from the meds, can't explain the difference but it's there! I've been off it for 7 1/2 weeks now.

#29 dtacmed

dtacmed

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

After being on Celexa then Lexapro for 5 months with no improvement I was changed to Wellbutrin. I have went from 10mg to 5mg for 7 days now 2.5 and 4 more days to stop completely. So far no side effects at all. Just wanted to share this. May have side effects tomorrow but so far so good.

#30 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

After being on Celexa then Lexapro for 5 months with no improvement I was changed to Wellbutrin. I have went from 10mg to 5mg for 7 days now 2.5 and 4 more days to stop completely. So far no side effects at all. Just wanted to share this. May have side effects tomorrow but so far so good.

So glad to hear that the change over is going so well. I hope that wellbutrin works well for you. Thank you for posting your experience.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#31 myt-bear

myt-bear

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

Because I recently started a new job, I haven't been able to get my Lexapro refilled. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to cope with side effects of stopping cold turkey. I have some Xanax, but I don't know if that will help, and I don't like taking it unless I absolutely have to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Myt-bear
I love this crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic, awful, beautiful life.-Darrly Worley

#32 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:18 AM

Can your doctor give you samples to get you through? I know that sometimes people take something else to help with withdrawal effects from the medication they're taking. I'm thinking that it may be Prozac, but not sure - maybe if he doesn't have Lexapro samples - he could give you the others. What advice did your prescribing doctor give you?

Otherwise, my only advice would be to try and do all those things that are supposed to help us feel better - exercise, and drinking lots of water, and only using the Xanax when you absolutely need to.

I can't imagine the stress of starting a new job, and not having needed medication.

I'm sorry not to be much help. I haven't had much problems discontinuing medications, and have done so frequently, much to the annoyance of my pdoc.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#33 myt-bear

myt-bear

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the response Taffycat. My dr would give me some samples if she wasn't on vacation all this week. Oh well, I'm actually feeling better today, so hopefully the worse is over.
I love this crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic, awful, beautiful life.-Darrly Worley

#34 Omega1874

Omega1874

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:34 AM

I am supposed to start lexapro in 2 weeks and the doctor said it was a more mild drug. but if there are side effects when you stop taking it im not so sure i want to take it at all seeing as how i am afraid of pills as it is... my dr also mentioned buspar i believe, he said most people dont even realize its helping.. but i dont know you cant believe them all the time

#35 danirenelle

danirenelle

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

i take 20mg of lexapro for a few months and in the last week or two my anx. and dep. symptoms seem to be coming back. i want to talk to my doc. about changing meds but i dont want it to be like starting over. btw not too long ago, i didnt have the money to renew my prescription for lexapro and i was off it for a week. about the 4th day of being off of it, i started getting these like sudden jolts of eye movement, dizziness, and nausea. not fun. i will wean off of it if and when i need to.

#36 DeliaAngel

DeliaAngel

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:33 AM

Because I recently started a new job, I haven't been able to get my Lexapro refilled. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to cope with side effects of stopping cold turkey. I have some Xanax, but I don't know if that will help, and I don't like taking it unless I absolutely have to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Myt-bear

Take 5-HTP, you can get it anywhere. I didn't like Lexapro and my friend told me about 5-HTP so I took it instead and I didn't notice any of the usual effects I get when I stop taking lexapro. 5-HTP is herbal, look it up.

#37 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:05 AM

Myt-bear

Take 5-HTP, you can get it anywhere. I didn't like Lexapro and my friend told me about 5-HTP so I took it instead and I didn't notice any of the usual effects I get when I stop taking lexapro. 5-HTP is herbal, look it up.

Just to let you know, Myt-bear did refill her prescription.

DeliaAngel, please be careful with herbal supplements, check out any interactions they can have with other medications that you may be taking. My husband had an interaction with an herbal supplement and his blood pressure medication.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#38 Jake57

Jake57

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:58 PM

I have quit Lexapro (was only on 5mg per day) after having taken it for over a year. I started Buspar a couple of days ago. I am experiencing dysphoria, faintness, weird feelings, etc. from the discontinuation of the Lex, but am good enough so that I am not worried about it. The more I am off the Lex, the better I will be. Had weight gain and loss of sex drive side effects. Lex also made me too passive and sedentary. I am looking forward to the Buspar; I do notice it working, and I think it's working well.

#39 lkay3026

lkay3026

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

I am new to the group. I found this website while looking at Lexapro vs Celexa. My insurance changed this year and now I am having to pay a pretty hefty co pay for my lexapro. The pharmacist mentioned to me the Celexa. How does it compare? Any way that is not why I am here.

If I miss one dose of my lexapro I get so darn moody by the end of the day. Should I see side effects that soon? I started lexapro 10mg back in Oct 05, in March 06 my doctor increase my dosage to 20mg. :hearts:

#40 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

Hi, ikay. Here's a previous post that might help answer your question about the difference between lex and celexa. As for being depressed if you miss a dose, yes, unfortunately that's quite common. With me it's just feeling slightly "off." There's a thread in the One Step at a Time area about remembering to take pills that might help too.

Celexa and Lexapro are almost the same thing.

Celexa is the brand name. Citalopram is the generic name. Without getting too much into the chemistry, the Citalopram is made of 2 molecules, a S+ and S-.

The patent for Celexa expired a long time ago, allowing generic Citalopram. The drug company then patented a purer form of Citalopram called esCitalopram (brand name of Lexapro) with only the S+ molecule.

Only the S+ molecule works. The S- is inert.

So its really a purer, slightly more potent version of Celexa. Lexapro also sounds cooler than Celexapro.

I've heard of some docs putting people on Celexa because it is available in generic, so you save money if you need to pay out of pocket. This could be what your doc was doing for you.

Hope that answers the question.

--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

"It ain't never no use puttin' up your umbrell' till it rains!"
-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)