Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

My Experience With Valdoxan

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 srulikg

srulikg

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

I've taken Valdoxan for a month, 25 MG, with no improvement, so I doubled to 50 MG for a month, with no improvement. My pdoc told me to stop taking it because it's not helping. So it won't help everybody

#2 Aerial

Aerial

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

(((((srulikg))))))

I'm so sorry the med didn't help you. I'm sure you already know that everyone responds differently to different medications. I imagine there's one out there that will work for you, I hope you won't give up!

Remember you are not alone here at the DF, we're always here to listen and support you!

Hugs,
Aerial
Posted ImagePosted Image

"We've been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we've done..."

(Song of Bernadette, lyrics by Leonard Cohen)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." James Taylor

#3 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:41 PM

Hi srulikg,

Thank you for the follow up on Valdoxan (melatonergic antidepressant) Did it have any side effects of note either?

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#4 srulikg

srulikg

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:15 AM

Only a slight nausea in the morning

#5 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:47 AM

#Thanks for that.

I hope you do find an effective AD soon.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#6 vibrantwomen

vibrantwomen

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

I've taken Valdoxan for a month, 25 MG, with no improvement, so I doubled to 50 MG for a month, with no improvement. My pdoc told me to stop taking it because it's not helping. So it won't help everybody

Hi there, I hope you don't mind if I probe a bit, when you say it didn't work, could you say what it was that didn't work.

I have just started taking it and someone at work said to me that they are glad to see me back to my old happy jolly self and that was only after a couple of days. This could be the result of a good couple of nights sleep. I notice when I am typing that its faster and that I am a little more patient in my responses whilst typing, but was I also notice is that I feel a bit distant from people and whilst I would normally happily chat away on the phone I don't really feel like conversing much. I also feel quite relaxed. Also I am having trouble waking up in the morning.

Edited by vibrantwomen, 15 January 2010 - 07:24 AM.

#7 tez

tez

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hi srulikg

I am so sorry that this wasn't the one for you.

Although I feel moderately better on it, others are commenting that I have improved greatly - very confusing.

I have been on the doubled dose for 6 days, so fingers still crossed here.

Tez
"Come to the edge He said.
They said, We are afraid.
Come to the edge, He said.
They came. He pushed them...and they flew"

(Fear by Guillaume Apollinaire)

My Dx: Major Depression with Generalised Anxiety Disorder

#8 Manxiety

Manxiety

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

Valdoxan is an interesting med! Works well for some, moderately for others (Like me) and not at all for many.....pretty much like all antidepressants really.
Worth a try as no adverse reactions (Some sickness initially in some people) safe, easy to come off and best of all you can retain or regain a normal sex drive.
My drug of choice is Clomipramine, works a treat but severe side effects and my dr will no longer prescribe as he feels the risk is to high (Tachycardia) also eliminates libido so I struggle on with Valdoxan and Xanax.
This med will help some of you to a greater or lesser ddegree, unfortunately it will have no effect on others but hey, give it a try!

#9 RicoSys

RicoSys

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:41 AM

Hi All,

I just thought iI would add my experience to this.

First off this is my first AD medication. I was recently diagnosed with severe depression and put straight on Valdoxan 25mg going to 50mg after 2 weeks.

I have been taking 25mg for 7 days now.

As is always the way of the world you mostly hear when things arnt working and finding anything positive is hard.

So my experience thus far....and I hope it continues....

After day 2 my sleep has become easier to enter as in 5 or 10 mins from head on the pillow. I sleep deeply for about 5 hours then wake look at the clock and go back to sleep.

I seem to be far less worried about things that previously had me crying on the sofa. I still have down feelings now and then but nothing like as severe. I have not had further thoughts of ending myself....only just realised this lol

My general mood is still somewhat quiet and unsociable but i am far less angry at little things. Good news for my kids as my temper was very short (nothing physical by the way just shouty and angry at disturbances).

I am eating far more normally, I was stuffing junk food away like no-ones business - comfort eating i think they call it.

Only side effect thus far is that mid afternoon I tend to feel very sleepy for about 30 mins then i perk up again.

I hope this is of use / interest to someone.

All the best

Alex.

#10 Z1pper

Z1pper

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:39 AM

I think this is the medication I have just been put on. I've been told it will help regulate my sleep. But as I am coming of an AD, which was meant to help me sleep, my doc said it is understandable that my sleep is disturbed. For the first couple of days, I was really drugged. But other than that, I've been grumpy and get annoyed really easily. My housemate says I am a different person. My doc wants to increase the dose, but I said 'not yet', I'm actually scared of what will happen.
I've been wanting to talk about this whole experience, but my housemate just talks over me about her stuff. Really annoying.

#11 GoNatural

GoNatural

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

Hi all,

Talking about side effects on Valdoxan, I would like to report that this drug is causing Acute Toxic Hepatitis B, which will take months to resolve.In France, according to my sister's psychiatrist, the government issued a warning about liver toxicity to Doctors.
My sister has been sick for 2 months and her doc decided not to prescribe anythingat all for as long as the hepatitis is still active, as all of these meds are very hepa-toxic.
So be careful if you experience severe heartburns - talk to your doctor.

There are a lot of natural alternatives that work, like herbal and homeopathy.

Drug is never the answer, it is a palliatif nothing more that should not be used long term.

#12 kengwen

kengwen

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

posted on another person's question about valdoxan...
if interested look back a few..
give it time
it is subtle
enables real emotion which at first may seem surprising for many..
it is my experience many ad's mask emotion...
that is not for me...
like i said in the other post reply..
i was on it for nearly 18 months.. off for some time and back now
it is the subtlety that can be misleading i feel for many...
no big WOW... no numbness... no serotonin brain freaks ets...
you feel good days
you feel bad days,
but for me, i began to see through the depression fog and understand what i saw...
it took a couple months but it saved my life..
lets hope it does again..
i would like to note others in another group started about ago... many noticed an increase in anxiety for a week or 2 along about the 4th or 5th week...
don't freak...
its nothing more than any anxiety anyone with severe mdd has had before, and it goes away within couple days.. no more than a week..
it isn't unbearable, just noteworthy..
not all have mentioned it, but looking back i experienced it as well and am in fact since starting it again am in that stage now
i haven't been successful with any other meds period
from unbearable side effects to nothingness
this is closest yet
no medication will make everything wonderful...
people who suddenly feel their world is no longer full of rainbows and sweetness and run to their dr.'s for a script, well they have no idea of the darkness this disease can bring
it's a shame it is taking so long to get full approval here in u.s.
it's rediculous
most other countries however have begun to use now so hopefully soon!

#13 kengwen

kengwen

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

lets be a little more clear...
i have not seen one instance of agomelatine (valdoxan) causing hepB
the literature is quite clear to emphasize having regular liver function tests..
but if you look clearly, it is no more dangerous than many other antidepressants, not to mention other classes of pain meds etc...
liver toxicity is always something to monitor, but again causing HepB...maybe it would be wise to review Hep B to begin with and ways to transmit before making such bold statement... many of the name brand ad's also recommend liver function tests every 6 months..
and to say in whatever innuendo you like... for many with mental health disease... suggesting no meds are best or only natural herbal remedies are right... well.. you are just wrong
do you really think any of us with any type of disorder or brain chemical or traumatic brain injury want to take meds of any sort to simply feel what most know as normal?
do you think it is simply the in thing to say you are depressed, have ptsd, or a myriad of other pyschiatric ailments that plague so many?
all i know is ignorance must be bliss, because the darkness for those who have to admit something is wrong, and go through trial and error of many combinations of meds, therapies, etc to function d*** sure don't know bliss, ergo...far from ignorant as well
empathy my friend is a quality of character which shows through far deeper than herbal gardening
you are lucky not to suffer from these debilitating diseases..
and no i am far from ignorant... 12 or so years ago i was accepted into a doctoral program in fact to study brain chemistry and effects of mdd, adhd, bpd, etc over time in specific areas of the brain..
now, hard for me to get through a day.. read a chapter in a medical journal much less a self help healing book
again..
do some research..
help others...
donate to help us further our understanding of our complex minds...
read a book.. The Unquiet Mind comes to mind... easy read...
meds are only part, but for now and for many, it is what keeps breath occuring
i'd love to be who i was, hope now i just can be
peace
  • Tamer likes this

#14 Lazyboy

Lazyboy

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:38 AM

I would just like to add my own experience with Valdoxan. I've been on it for the last 3 months or so, this in addition to Effexor and Paxil ( paroxetine.) Generally it helps me falling asleep and staying in deeper sleep. I'm pretty happy with what it's doing for me.

The thing is I have fatty liver disease and so my docs monitor my liver enzymes pretty closely. The enzymes levels have been fine (for someone with liver problems) up until today. SGOT and SGPT levels skyrocketed from around 100 to upper 200 to 300. That is why I'm here, trying to find more info. (there's not much of it around the net) Mind you, this was only one test (but a scary one,) and it's in no way conclusive the cause was the drug. I will keep looking and will update on my further results.

Oh, btw, another (minor) side effect I suffer from is sweating, especially while sleeping. I mean really sweat! My pillow us wet when I wakeup. But as I said, this is nothing.
== Normal Is Just Statistics ==

#15 jpuk

jpuk

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:01 PM

Hi srulikg

I am so sorry that this wasn't the one for you.

Although I feel moderately better on it, others are commenting that I have improved greatly - very confusing.

I have been on the doubled dose for 6 days, so fingers still crossed here.

Tez

I have tried several AD's and found the only one one that had the least unpleasant effects was Valdoxan. After telling my doctor about my trials of self medication and my conclusions, he refused to prescibe Valdoxan (because it is/ or was, a new drug) and proceeded to write-up everthing I had tried else on my medical records, without any attempt at qualifying amounts or time periods or anu other details. Foolishly I had assumed some confidentiality. He then put me on citalopram These were OK but ruined my sex life. If I could afford it I would buy Valdoxan myself but the price is riduculously high. However I have found a a product which is 99% pure Agomelatine and is les than half the price of Valdoxan. So I will pursue with this as it is the active ingredient of Valdoxan which is now approved by the NHS.
After one or two arguments, my doctor agreed that, If he were me, he would not have told his GP of the self medications. But refused make any adjustments to my medical records. I have no faith or trust in GP's now. They have become officials of state and are more interested in covering themselves and their own interests, than gaining the trust and confidence of their patients. Even though he is my GP for over 25 years, my life to him, is a 5 minute interveiw, which probably looks like a history of drug abuse on my records. What happened to respect for patients ?
JPUK

#16 booboobasketcase

booboobasketcase

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

wish it would have helped you...I was always curious how something with such a short half-life could do much of anything....seems like it wouldn't be much better that a vitamin supplement. I did hear they are developing a new sublingual form (you place the tablets under your tounge. Don't try this with regular Valdoxan talbets as this is a much lower dose)

#17 moro

moro

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

I was put on this med on Tues. I'm looking for more info but there's very little on the net from what I can see. I was on Prothiaden (175mg, which was a ridic amount) which stopped working. My doctor recommended changing to 25mg Valdoxan, with potential to double in 2weeks. She said not to take prothiaden dose on mon night and to start valdoxan straight away.

I'm emotionally feeling better but physically I'm dying. I'm waking up with really bad dizziness/vertigo, which has worsened as the week progressed. Today it took me until 4pm to be able to get up. I'm still not 100% and won't be going near my car.

I'm going to call my doctor on Monday anyway but just wondering if anyone who was/is on this med suffered from debilitating dizziness/vertigo?

I'm thinking (from what I've read on the net) that stopping the prothiaden so abruptly wasn't a good idea. I'm hoping that all this crap this week is from prothiaden withdrawal.... because I have to say emotionally it's already making a difference.

#18 Sare

Sare

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Hi Moro,

I am taking 50mg Valdoxan and it is working well for my depression, anxiety and sleep at this stage which is really good news. I have been on Valdoxan for almost six month now. I experienced very little side effects when I first started taking Valdoxan, only some really vivid dream for the first couple of weeks. I did not experience any dizziness/vertigo when I first started taking Valdoxan, and haven't experienced it since.

Of course, I am not a doctor or anything like that, but I would suspect that the dizziness/vertigo is a side effect of abruptly stopping the Prothiaden. There is a risk of withdrawal symptoms when you abruptly stop taking Prothiaden, and one of these symptoms includes dizziness. Usually you would expect to wean slowly of Prothiaden over approximately 4 weeks, eventually getting down to 25mg before switching to the new antidepressant. So I would suspect that your abruptly stopping your Prothiaden dose of 175mg has caused your problems.

I'm sorry that you are having to go through such a rough time,

Sare

#19 rayray2

rayray2

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

I was put on this med on Tues. I'm looking for more info but there's very little on the net from what I can see. I was on Prothiaden (175mg, which was a ridic amount) which stopped working. My doctor recommended changing to 25mg Valdoxan, with potential to double in 2weeks. She said not to take prothiaden dose on mon night and to start valdoxan straight away.

I'm emotionally feeling better but physically I'm dying. I'm waking up with really bad dizziness/vertigo, which has worsened as the week progressed. Today it took me until 4pm to be able to get up. I'm still not 100% and won't be going near my car.

I'm going to call my doctor on Monday anyway but just wondering if anyone who was/is on this med suffered from debilitating dizziness/vertigo?

I'm thinking (from what I've read on the net) that stopping the prothiaden so abruptly wasn't a good idea. I'm hoping that all this crap this week is from prothiaden withdrawal.... because I have to say emotionally it's already making a difference.

I am soory that you are experiencing such physical symptoms. I have been on Valodoxan now for 8 weeks and although I am not finding it effective and it is causing sleepless nights it has not caused dizziness or vertigo. I have also recently came of Lexapro and this has caused the symptoms that you decribed. I went cold turkey after taking Paxil for 8 years and this was terrible.

I would say that you needed to come off prothiaden with a tapering process and that this is causing your symptoms at present.

#20 julius

julius

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

I found this forum by searching "Valdoxan" to find possible answers to my experience for the past few days.

I was previously on antidepressant called Efexor (75mg), and my doctor decided to change it to Valdoxan (25mg), after my depression had started to get worse again. I had quit Efexor once before (without consulting my doctor, which was silly), and got quite bad withdrawal symptoms, yet my doctor told me I should not experience withdrawal at all once replacing Efexor with Valdoxan. (I started taking this on last Sunday.) For possible chest aches I had been also prescribed Anxicalm (Diazepam 5mg).

On Tuesday, after two nights of taking Valdoxan, I got agonizing anxious ache in my chest, dizziness and nausea and experienced strong feelings of sadness causing uncontrollable crying, paranoia ("people are out to get me!" type of thing) and increased thoughts of suicide. Anxicalm was supposed to help to keep the anxiousness under control, but it had no effect at all.
On this day I was unable to reach my doctor, for any explanations for these symptoms, whether it could be the new medication or after all some withdrawal from my old medication. With my previous Efexor withdrawal I did not experience any nausea or dizziness, so I'm not sure.
Also my doctor had told me that Valdoxan should prevent anxious thoughts at night and help me to sleep, but there was no such change, if anything, my anxious thoughts had increased.

On Wednesday my condition had not improved, except I was able to keep crying under control better, and felt more angry and hateful rather than sad. The agonizing chest ache was the hardest to deal with still, along with nausea.
Again I was unable to reach my doctor, so I contacted my father, who is also a doctor (although he is not really experienced with patients who deal with depression). I told my symptoms and he advised me to stop taking Valdoxan, and continue Efexor the day after tomorrow (so on following Friday). He thinks Valdoxan was the cause of my agonizing experience, rather than Efexor withdrawal.

So yesterday night, I did not take Valdoxan.

Today (Thursday) I only feel slight uneasiness in chest (which is pretty much normal for me), but the agonizingly anxious pain, nausea and the dizziness seem to be completely gone. I feel hugely relieved by that, because the feelings I had for the two days felt like hell.
However, today I called my doctor, who I finally reached. I told about my symptoms for the past two days; she did not believe Valdoxan was the cause of my symptoms, but the withdrawal from Efexor (which she originally told me I should not have at all). She did not believe Valdoxan could cause these reactions in such short time, and she strongly believes I should keep taking Valdoxan (atleast for another two weeks to see if it'll kick in), and Efexor that I have left every second day to keep away the withdrawal symptoms.

This experience has left me very confused, and I do not know what to do. I know a family member should not really act as my doctor, but I am feeling slightly better today after not taking the Valdoxan yesterday. I haven't taken Efexor today either, from which I'm supposed to have withdrawal from, according to my general practitioner.

To those here who are on Valdoxan, I'm hoping you could give me some advice? Could Valdoxan really have affected me this heavily after only three pills? Has anyone else had any similar experience after only starting that medication?

The fact that I'm not in horrible pain today, after not taking Valdoxan last night was such a relief, but now I feel scared of the idea of taking it again tonight like my GP ordered. If it was Valdoxan causing these symptoms, I don't know how long I could deal with symptoms like that, since after just one day I felt I want to die, because the chest pain was too much.
And I'm confused as who to trust more, my own doctor or my father (who also is a doctor).

Quick replies would be greatly appreciated.

#21 keikebush

keikebush

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:28 AM

Hi julius,
Did you post on another thread? I'll answer here anyway just in case you didnt or no-one has answered. I swapped from Zoloft to Valdoxan about 3 months ago and certainly didnt get any symptoms similar to what you are describing, in fact generally quite mild symptoms such as a bit of dizzyness.It is possibly its valdoxan but unlikely - more likely withdrawal from your previous med.

Cheers,

#22 julius

julius

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

Hi julius,
Did you post on another thread? I'll answer here anyway just in case you didnt or no-one has answered. I swapped from Zoloft to Valdoxan about 3 months ago and certainly didnt get any symptoms similar to what you are describing, in fact generally quite mild symptoms such as a bit of dizzyness.It is possibly its valdoxan but unlikely - more likely withdrawal from your previous med.

Cheers,

Hi,
Yeah I posted another thread, but I keep getting lost on this site, so I'm not even sure if that has gotten any replies or how I'll find my way to that thread.

Anyway, thanks for replying. I stopped taking Valdoxan for now atleast, because the thought of it made me panic too much. Still not sure if I'm right to do so.
I had been fine with my old medication for a long time, and I was just kind of surprised that that wasn't increased instead.

#23 data

data

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

I just hope nobody paid any attention to GoNatural's "Hepatitis B\homeopathy\all drugs are bad" nonsense.

#24 frenchie22

frenchie22

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

I have been taking Valdoxan for a while now and it seems to be helping with the depression side of things anyway. I feel I am coping with life (even while going through a divorce) and am not constantly turning into a blubbering ***** several times a week.

In 2011 whilst taking a different anti depressant I was diagnosed with non-alcholic fatty liver while having my gall bladder out.  Since then I have always suffered with serious acid problems.  I have also started having trouble with my eyesight ie blurry vision and double vision which can vary day to day.  Saw an opthamologist end of last year and was sent for head scan and MRI which both came back with nothing wrong.  Whilst looking on the internet last month saw that liver problems can cause eye problems and mentioned it to my doc. He sent me for blood tests which came back with enzymes three times higher than they should be.  I now have to wait til November to see opthamologist again then to see a liver specialist.  If after doing an echogram he finds nothing wrong, doc says I will have to stop the Valdoxan as it can cause damage to the liver.  I know all meds have side effects but really wish he'd have told me this before I started taking them, don't feel easy taking them now...

#25 Velthir

Velthir

Moderator - Technician

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:30 PM

I have been taking Valdoxan for a while now and it seems to be helping with the depression side of things anyway. I feel I am coping with life (even while going through a divorce) and am not constantly turning into a blubbering ***** several times a week.

In 2011 whilst taking a different anti depressant I was diagnosed with non-alcholic fatty liver while having my gall bladder out.  Since then I have always suffered with serious acid problems.  I have also started having trouble with my eyesight ie blurry vision and double vision which can vary day to day.  Saw an opthamologist end of last year and was sent for head scan and MRI which both came back with nothing wrong.  Whilst looking on the internet last month saw that liver problems can cause eye problems and mentioned it to my doc. He sent me for blood tests which came back with enzymes three times higher than they should be.  I now have to wait til November to see opthamologist again then to see a liver specialist.  If after doing an echogram he finds nothing wrong, doc says I will have to stop the Valdoxan as it can cause damage to the liver.  I know all meds have side effects but really wish he'd have told me this before I started taking them, don't feel easy taking them now...

Yeah, the drug manufacturer actually suggests periodic blood tests due to the risk of elevated liver enzymes, fairly irresponsible that he hasn't been doing that.

Dx: Bipolar II/III (antidepressant induced mixed states/hypomania)
Rx: 400mg lamotrigine (Lamictal), 800 mg/day of carbamazepine (Tegretol XR), 600 mg/day Zyban (bupropion/Wellbutrin SR)
Failed meds: Cymbalta, citalopram (Celexa), agomelatine (Valdoxan), lofepramine, mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), aripiprazole (Abilify), quetiapine (Seroquel), trimipramine (Surmontil)
Partial-success: nortriptyline/Pamelor, moclobemide (Aurorix/Manerix), reboxetine

goldenvelope1jr.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users