Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Generic Lamotrigine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nextyear

nextyear

ID: 20514

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

I know people wrote about going from brand name to generic Lamotrigine a while ago but I need to raise it again. I've been on generic (bottle says Teva) and doing okay. I really didn't spend long on name brand so I've no idea if there would have been a difference. Anyway, the pharmacy is now getting a different generic (round instead of diamond shaped but no idea who produces it) and I think I'm not doing well on it. Trying to figure out if it's actually the medication or something else but I seem to be depressed, and depressed in a different way than I'm used to, since taking it. Also a few more ups and downs than I'm used to which I'm afraid doesn't bode well.

I'm wondering if anyone has done well on one generic form and had difficulty with another?

I'm going to look into how and if my insurance deals with moving back to name brand. I'd be perfectly happy on the other generic but I can't find it and even if I do there's no guarantee the pharmacy will continue to get it.

#2 xskatebakerrx

xskatebakerrx

Just Registered

ID: 43184

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:49 AM

I've been on Lamictal for a few years and last year I tried switching over to the generic brand to save money (I made the change with my pharmacist and not my psychiatrist). Long story short I wound up very ill physically and mentally. The amounts of active ingredients in a generic pill can vary from pill to pill and most definitely varies from batch to batch up to +/- 20%. The "fill" or "binders" in the pills differ as well. Taking generic medication is a gigantic risk that many do not know they are taking, I would strongly advice against it.

#3 justbreathe17

justbreathe17

ID: 37989

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

I've been wondering about Lamictal vs. generic as well. When my pdoc first started me on Lamictal, she gave me a starter pack that lasted about 6 weeks. After that, I've been getting the generic b/c of the cost. When I first started on Lamictal, I felt so much better. But, I noticed a change after I switched to the generic but I don't know if it b/c of the med or outside forces. :shocked: But, there is no way I can afford Lamictal.

Everyone is crazy - some of us just get caught

#4 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hi all, The information that I could find says that the difference is changes in inactive ingredients (fillers). The generic forum is the first drug since lithium to be approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder I. All risks and side effects are the same as for Lamical. Any different side effects such as increased nausea could be the result of the filler agent such as a change from cellulose or the colorings.
iowa

#5 christianb

christianb

ID: 40512

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

I tried the generic Lamictal and had a bad reaction to it; didn't like it at all. Again, the inactive components are the issue and those are generally the portions of the medication that regulates how quickly the medication gets into your system. With the generic Lamictal, I felt like it was getting into my system too fast; I would get a little hypomanic and agitated and then a few hours later, I would be depressed. I had the same problems with generic Celexa when I was on it; big difference between the two for me.

But, then again, I am really sensitive to medications. I have to make sure I take my Lamictal every day at the same time, if I don't, I pay for it. I took a dose about 8 hours later than I normally would one day, got back on track the next morning, turned into a zombie for 4 hours and then crashed hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users