Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Still Living With Parents

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 kris514

kris514

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

I just turned 26 and my father took me back into his house after 2 years of living on my own. He wants me to stay with him so i can go back to school. I feel like im too old to live with parents and im afraid if i stay here ill get even more depressed. what would u guys do if u were in my shoes?? im on welfare so should i rent a cheap appartment or stay home with dad so i can go back to school and finish college...for those who live on their own, how old were u when u left ur parents house???

#2 uksarah

uksarah

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

I just turned 26 and my father took me back into his house after 2 years of living on my own. He wants me to stay with him so i can go back to school. I feel like im too old to live with parents and im afraid if i stay here ill get even more depressed. what would u guys do if u were in my shoes?? im on welfare so should i rent a cheap appartment or stay home with dad so i can go back to school and finish college...for those who live on their own, how old were u when u left ur parents house???

Well i am 26 and still living at home but only until i finish college and i can stand on my feet. I feel that its best to go to school/college and get qualifiactions and i feel it helps us in the future.

There is nothing wrong with living at home with your parents i am sure they want what is best for you and college is fun.

#3 kris514

kris514

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:44 PM

Well i am 26 and still living at home but only until i finish college and i can stand on my feet. I feel that its best to go to school/college and get qualifiactions and i feel it helps us in the future.

There is nothing wrong with living at home with your parents i am sure they want what is best for you and college is fun.

thank u sarah...ur post made me feel better...at least im not the ony one who still lives with parents

#4 GreyKnight

GreyKnight

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

Hey Kris, I'm 31 and I lived at home with my parents all my life until April this year when at age 30 I finally made the move and bought my own apartment! That gives you a whole four years before you're as bad as me! :shocked:

Frankly I got on well with my folks and I couldn't have afforded a place of my own until recently so they happily let me stay. I paid them some rent and also dragged them kicking and screaming in to the modern day by getting them set up with digital TV, Internet, a PC etc and teaching them to use it all which at the age of 70 is no mean feat! Think how you and your dad can help each other out with life in these difficult times and that right there is the essence of what family is for.

Oh, and my new place is only four miles away from my parents so we still get to see each other a few times a week. Family is important!

Oh yeah, and two of my best friends who are also 30 still live at home with their parents. Seriously it isn't that uncommon and you don't need to feel bad about it!

Edited by GreyKnight, 23 November 2009 - 06:06 PM.

#5 shio

shio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

Hey Kris take your father's offer! It's a huge break for you and easier on your pocket too! Only saying b/c I moved out at 16 due to a very disfunctional family. Life was hard but I managed. I Guess what I'm trying to say is your father loves you. So build a stronger relationship with him and get your education at the same time.
Peace out
Shio
~ If you could just open up to other people, you'd soon find that you have more than one safe haven.~
Major depression, PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety

#6 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

Hi kris514 and Welcome to DF,

It sounds like you really have some decisions to make. You mentioned that if you stayed there it would get you even more depressed. Have you been diagnosed with depression or on any meds from a Pdoc or seeing a therapist? If you would like to share a little of your back ground with depression that would be helpful. How do you feel about going back to school? Was it your choice to go back and live with your father? I'm just a bit confused on this as you are 26 and thinking about renting a cheap apartment. Maybe you could give us some idea as to how your life as been previous to this.

If we can't stand alone to help ourselves,
with support we shall stand together
to make the changes and a difference within our lives
and the lives of all for the better.

#7 candyfloss79

candyfloss79

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:56 AM

HI Kris514. I'll be 30 next week and I'm still living at home. Like you, at the moment I'm trying to decide what to do with my life (specifically whether to make a clean break with my job and look for a new one.) Whilst living at home does cause me some problems they are all 'external' ones; there are all these expectations of what your living situation should be by a certain age and it's easy to feel like a 'weirdo' when you don't conform to them. Many times I've thought about moving out but deep down I don't want to live alone, although I'm a solitary person I need to know there are people there if I need them. At the moment with my condition the way it is I doubt I'd bother getting out of bed if I lived alone! I feel living at home I have more options, if I was living alone then quitting my job or going part time just would not be a choice at all and at least I can say I have choices. By moving in with your Dad you'll have the choice of whether to go to college or not. No one can make that decision for you (although I wish someone would make mine for me!) but you'll get plenty of support here.

Candy

PS I don't know why living at home is such a stigma here in the UK. In Mediterranean countries people routinely live at home into their 30s.

#8 kris514

kris514

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

Hi kris514 and Welcome to DF,

It sounds like you really have some decisions to make. You mentioned that if you stayed there it would get you even more depressed. Have you been diagnosed with depression or on any meds from a Pdoc or seeing a therapist? If you would like to share a little of your back ground with depression that would be helpful. How do you feel about going back to school? Was it your choice to go back and live with your father? I'm just a bit confused on this as you are 26 and thinking about renting a cheap apartment. Maybe you could give us some idea as to how your life as been previous to this.

I dont have a depression diagnosis but i have a paranoid schizophrenia diagnosis and depression is a part of it. There''s times when im extrimely happy for months and then there's times where im extrimely depressed and dont want to do anything at all not even get in the shower. I just lay in bed watch tv listen to music and have suicidal thoughts. Im on meds for schizophrenia so i feel alright. Im just onna stay with my father and finish college. Hopefully i wont get too depressed to function

#9 kris514

kris514

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

HI Kris514. I'll be 30 next week and I'm still living at home. Like you, at the moment I'm trying to decide what to do with my life (specifically whether to make a clean break with my job and look for a new one.) Whilst living at home does cause me some problems they are all 'external' ones; there are all these expectations of what your living situation should be by a certain age and it's easy to feel like a 'weirdo' when you don't conform to them. Many times I've thought about moving out but deep down I don't want to live alone, although I'm a solitary person I need to know there are people there if I need them. At the moment with my condition the way it is I doubt I'd bother getting out of bed if I lived alone! I feel living at home I have more options, if I was living alone then quitting my job or going part time just would not be a choice at all and at least I can say I have choices. By moving in with your Dad you'll have the choice of whether to go to college or not. No one can make that decision for you (although I wish someone would make mine for me!) but you'll get plenty of support here.

Candy

PS I don't know why living at home is such a stigma here in the UK. In Mediterranean countries people routinely live at home into their 30s.

hi candy
in my culture people live with their parents until they get married, my own father stayed with his parents until he was about thirty years old...i just feel bad because everyone i grew up with live on their own or live with girlfriends and have kids...i feel bad when i compare myself to them, some of them even put me down because of my living situation but tday i decided that im gonna stay with my father and go finish school no matter what my ''friends'' think about it

#10 shizuku

shizuku

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hi kris, I am 24 and I still live with my mum. I had to move back home after I finished university and yes, it did seem a bit like taking a step backwards and I was very depressed about it for a long time, but now I am actually glad I live at home. Finances aren't such a worry, I am never alone, I have my nice room with all the things from my childhood surrounding me and mine and my mum's relationship has gotten even stronger.

Try and see this as an opportunity, not a step backwards. Your father's offer is great, going back to school will give you something positive to focus on so you won't be on welfare forever.
That's life. If nothing else, it's life. It's real, and sometimes it hurts, but it's sort of all we have.

Life is not about braving the storm, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy, and how you ended up knowing which colours went together. We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.

Posted Image

#11 kris514

kris514

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hi kris, I am 24 and I still live with my mum. I had to move back home after I finished university and yes, it did seem a bit like taking a step backwards and I was very depressed about it for a long time, but now I am actually glad I live at home. Finances aren't such a worry, I am never alone, I have my nice room with all the things from my childhood surrounding me and mine and my mum's relationship has gotten even stronger.

Try and see this as an opportunity, not a step backwards. Your father's offer is great, going back to school will give you something positive to focus on so you won't be on welfare forever.

hi shizuku
thanx for ur post it made me feel alot better about my current situation

#12 Bribarian

Bribarian

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

Well I'm 27 and I still live at home and overall I don't really care what other people think. I hold down a job and do my own thing. If you saw me you'd never guess I live at home.

If your dad wants you there, what's the big deal? Especially if you're struggling on welfare, might as well take this opportunity to build a nest egg. I know you're probably convinced about the shallow calling you a "loser" for living with your parents, but life isn't like that anymore. Being independant is better, but living on welfare and being miserable is not.

Sometimes I feel like I should be living a normal life, but I don't know what a normal life is anymore in this society. Having a few kids, a home, and watching netflix till you die I guess?

Edited by Bribarian, 01 May 2010 - 09:11 PM.

Panic Disorder/GAD/OCD/Clinical Depression

300mg Effexor XR 50mg Seroquel 1mg ativan PRN

#13 Bikerboy

Bikerboy

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:19 AM

Well in this economy you've got to do what you've got to do, and everyone knows it's rough. I'm a lot younger than u at 21, i still live at home, my brother is 25 and he still lives at home tho too, i don't see him leaving anytime soon either. Do what you feel is going to help you in the long run, like everyone needs some time and a place to get back on their feet, and you shouldn't feel down or embarassed at all about moving back with your dad if ur struggling. I worked with a guy that was married and he had to move his family into his parent's basement :shocked: at like age 30. I say give it a try and see how you feel, just don't hang around the house all day get out and go to school and stuff, just keep busy so you really don't think about the fact that u live at home, b/c no one else will know. good luck!

#14 sleepingblondie

sleepingblondie

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

I know u typed this awhile ago but I feel the same way. Im going to start a new topic. If your still around the forums, i'dlike to know how things are with u

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users