Advertisement
aries_gurl

Unhealthy Obsession With A Celebrity *please Help*

8,724 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just by admitting that you have this problem, and are aware that it is not normal, shows that you still have a grip on reality. We all get celebrity crushes from time to time, thinking, "Wow that's exactly the kind of person I want to date- why couldn't I have met him/her through some friends or at a coffee shop instead of having to hear about them on tv?" It just doesn't seem fair.

I wonder though- and forgive me if this is out of line, but it's just a thought so correct me if I'm wrong- but are you really in love with your husband? Or has the flame seemed to have burned out? Just a thought- but perhaps you find it so easy to become infatuated with someone because your real life is lacking the romance you crave.

I have wondered about this myself, but I'm genuinely very happy in my relationship. However we've been together a long time and are long past the 'honeymoon' phase which produces the infatuated feelings I now only seem to get from my crush. Realistically I think after a certain number of years, no matter how much you love someone you can't exist in that heady, intense emotional state for your whole life and so relationships naturally become more settled. I know that I love my boyfriend and he is far more compatible with me than the object of my crush but for some reason I can't seem to shake the obsession no matter how much logic I use.

I really want to hear from others with this problem because nearly two years on I'm still suffering because of it and there's no reason to believe that once I get over this one it won't happen to me again (this is my third celebrity obsession). I don't know what to do for the best, cutting it out only intensifies it. It's steadily driving me insane, and I don't know how much longer I can keep living with this. The stress of it is taking its toll on my physical and emotional health.

Edited by maripapi

You might also be interested in:

Posted

the guy im married too now,,we have been boyfriend/girlfriend starting in 2nd grade,when we were in high school he broke up with me for another girl. totally crushed me and after waking up in the hospital after taking a bottle of pain pills, i realized that nobody would ever hurt me again like that. i developed an obsession on axle rose(ugh) and swore i would marry him,,i really believed this with all my heart,,even though i didn't give up my friends over this, i did party twice as hard but i wouldn't date anyone,there was only one guy for me and he was far out of my reach. i lived this for 3 years and then my hubby and i got back together and the obsession was gone,it went as fast as it went. but when i think about this now i think it was a safe haven for me so i didn't have to deal with reality or take a chance on getting hurt again.

just a thought

Posted (edited)

Just reading march baby's post, I thought I'd add that although my obsession with the last actor ended about three weeks ago (found out he was married, was totally devastated etc etc), today I found myself developing similar feelings for another actor who was a) in his prime in the 60's and b) has been dead for 20 years! It all started from seeing his photo in a book. Before I knew it I was on the internet, finding out his name and brooding over other photos. All the familiar feelings came rushing back but it is absolutely ridiculous. It's as if my mind just can't cope without one of these obsessions and will try to create one whether I like or not. Luckily this one can't come to much because he isn't alive!

Well I've just proved to myself that it doesn't matter if my object of desire has been dead for 20 years, because now this crush has taken over where the other one left off! So what do we make of this? I'm going through the same old motions as I always do - doing everything with him in mind, feeling like I'm doing everything for him, staring at photos, making him the subject of all my sexual fantisies and yet this time I know there is absolutely no chance of me ever being with this man because he is dead! Perhaps it is because I so rarely find men that I am genuinely sexually attracted to in real life. I find him extremely attractive and want to make the most of the lovely intense feelings he generates, alive or not! I'm also suffering from depression and anxiety at the moment and I feel like it is an escape from the pain of it.

Edited by bonkersinthenut

Posted (edited)

I see a lot of you are receiving counselling for this problem; has it helped? Also is there always a link between depression/other mood disorders and obsession? I've never been diagnosed with depression but if it wasn't already there then the obsessions certainly created it as one obsession brought me to the brink of suicide a few years ago.

It is worth noting that we are all quite self-aware, and we know that we have a problem. None of us (as far as I can tell) are stalking our celebrities, and we aren't experiencing delusion.

Do you think it's possible to recover from these obsessions permanently or will they just be transferred to someone new each time? Let me know what your thoughts are.

Edited by maripapi

Posted

I don't think I'll ever get rid of them now. I'm not sure how I got this way but I guess it always was a coping mechanism for stress and depression and quite a successful one at that (until it all goes wrong), which is probably why my mind insists on repeating the pattern over and over again. I've proved that my mind subconsciously seeks out an obsession even if I don't want one and has done right from me hitting puberty. It's as if I need to have one now, just to function in life.

Posted

I see a lot of you are receiving counselling for this problem; has it helped? Also is there always a link between depression/other mood disorders and obsession? I've never been diagnosed with depression but if it wasn't already there then the obsessions certainly created it as one obsession brought me to the brink of suicide a few years ago.

It is worth noting that we are all quite self-aware, and we know that we have a problem. None of us (as far as I can tell) are stalking our celebrities, and we aren't experiencing delusion.

Do you think it's possible to recover from these obsessions permanently or will they just be transferred to someone new each time? Let me know what your thoughts are.

The counselling is helping me. And it also helps to read this thread and see that I'm not alone! I'm also exchanging emails with somebody going through the same thing. So, I'm feeling a lot better about the whole situation. The obsession is still there, and sometimes I still have bad days, but overall I feel like I have better control of it.

I agree with what bonkers said above, that depression and stress contributed to me becoming obsessed with someone. Well, I'm no expert, but it seems that there is some kind of link.

Honestly, I think it will keep happening. Before my current obsession, I was sure it wouldn't happen anymore. Until it did. So, I'm thinking that at some point this obsession will fade, I'll go through a period with no obsession (this could be months or years) but then some other celebrity will eventually catch my eye and it'll happen again.

Posted

The counselling is helping me. And it also helps to read this thread and see that I'm not alone! I'm also exchanging emails with somebody going through the same thing. So, I'm feeling a lot better about the whole situation. The obsession is still there, and sometimes I still have bad days, but overall I feel like I have better control of it.

I agree with what bonkers said above, that depression and stress contributed to me becoming obsessed with someone. Well, I'm no expert, but it seems that there is some kind of link.

Honestly, I think it will keep happening. Before my current obsession, I was sure it wouldn't happen anymore. Until it did. So, I'm thinking that at some point this obsession will fade, I'll go through a period with no obsession (this could be months or years) but then some other celebrity will eventually catch my eye and it'll happen again.

I wish I had someone to talk to about this. I went to counselling once while at university but was too embarassed to go back again (the counsellor basically asked me if I was a stalker, and made me a feel like an utter freak). I've left university now, don't have a job yet which isn't helping as it means I'm home all day fighting this obsession alone. If anyone wants to talk post back here or send me a message. The loneliness is the worst thing for me.

How are you handling it elbee? Do you still read about them or do you try and stay away? Neither seems to make a difference for me.

Posted

Hi Maripapi,

I'm pretty much in the same situation...my husband and I have been together for 17 years (married for 7 of them) and we're kind of just 'settled' in our relationship now. I've been obsessed with an actor for 2 years now. For the most part, I think I handle the obsession pretty well. Oh sure, I have my share of 'bad' days too, where I get in these funks over his marriage and personal life, but I tend to snap out of the funk quickly and get back into the 'fantasy' of him. I have to admit that I do have alot of fun and I'm pretty happy obsessing over him 24/7. I would love to talk to you about this, but I don't know how much help I would be to you if you want to stop your obsession, for I wish to continue on with mine. Post back to me here, or message me if you'd like.

I wish I had someone to talk to about this. I went to counselling once while at university but was too embarassed to go back again (the counsellor basically asked me if I was a stalker, and made me a feel like an utter freak). I've left university now, don't have a job yet which isn't helping as it means I'm home all day fighting this obsession alone. If anyone wants to talk post back here or send me a message. The loneliness is the worst thing for me.

How are you handling it elbee? Do you still read about them or do you try and stay away? Neither seems to make a difference for me.

Posted

Hi Maripapi,

I'm pretty much in the same situation...my husband and I have been together for 17 years (married for 7 of them) and we're kind of just 'settled' in our relationship now. I've been obsessed with an actor for 2 years now. For the most part, I think I handle the obsession pretty well. Oh sure, I have my share of 'bad' days too, where I get in these funks over his marriage and personal life, but I tend to snap out of the funk quickly and get back into the 'fantasy' of him. I have to admit that I do have alot of fun and I'm pretty happy obsessing over him 24/7. I would love to talk to you about this, but I don't know how much help I would be to you if you want to stop your obsession, for I wish to continue on with mine. Post back to me here, or message me if you'd like.

You say you enjoy your obsession and this is where we differ. When it first happened I did enjoy it, it made me feel like a teenager again. But as time went on it made me less happy and became more painful, probably because the person I have these feelings for doesn't seem to be a particularly nice person and if I met him I don't think he'd be very kind to me which stops me from getting carried away on a wave of dreamy infatuation. It also makes me worry about myself and my life, the fact that this has happened to me in the first place must mean that I have unresolved emotional issues of some kind. I know logically that my relationship is good and I don't even have to meet this celebrity to know that he would not make me happy. But this knowledge never changes anything. I feel sad whenever my mind turns to him now (as it does everyday almost all the time). Does your obsession not hurt you sometimes?

Posted

Hi there. I am new here. I have never been diagnosed with OCD, but I do suffer from depression and anxiety. I have a problem and I didn't know where else to go.

I'm too ashamed to tell anyone close to me about it because I feel so ridiculous. What initially started as a harmless crush on this male celebrity has turned into something thats

taking over my life. Thing is, this celebrity is really nice in real life and really approachable, so it makes him even more attractive to me. I haven't met him but I know people who have.

I think about him all day, daydreaming constantly, spend hours googling him and checking all the latest news on him online. And if I hear he's dating someone,

I become really jealous and even more depressed. And heres the kicker: I am married to a nice man, who is very good to me. And I still have this horrible obsession on the side!

When my husband is at work, I'll spend the day daydreaming about this celebrity. I'll also watch his movies over and over, and turn on music and dance around, thinking

about what it would be like to be with him. I can't seem to stop! He's famous, he's out living his life, and he doesn't know I exist, and I am married for crying out loud!

What is wrong with me? I know it probably isn't love, it's an infatuation gone out of control and I don't know how to get my life back.

Is there anything I can do to stop this? I would really appreciate any help. Thank you in advance. :shocked:

Hello, as i read ur topic, i felt the same. I have a crush since april 2010 on a female model. I tryed to add her on her facebook, but of course she didnt accepted. Since then i feel depressed. I would like to have contact with her online, but it didnt happened. All i have are her fotos and videos and im feeling really down. I have no idea , what to do with it.

Posted

Well, I

arrose likes this

Posted

Hi Sonnet,

It seems she is forgetting her own problems by becoming obsessed with this celebrity and/or has co-dependency issues. I cannot really judge it. Sometimes it may help to hear the other side of the story - some celebrities have been harrassed. It doesn

Posted

Well, I

Posted

It's such a relief to find this forum. My obsession is different in that it's with a real person who I had a brief encounter with 5 years ago. I can't call it a relationship but it wasn't just a fling either, we really liked each other but he went cold on me because he was too soon out of a relationship and he just stopped contacting me until I confronted him and it ended. I felt like I'd completely fallen for him within about 2 meetings, and when it didn't go anywhere I was devastated. This was 5 years ago, since then I've been in various relationships and am in one now but can't seem to get this man out of my head. I know so much about him its scary, I know what his girlfriend's name is, what she does, where she lives, I've found videos she's made, I became obsessed with the city he lived in (where we met) and moved back there after leaving 2 years previously after uni, I went to the club he worked in every weekend for years and felt depressed if he wasn't there, even with my boyfriend in tow! I used to constantly read his myspace blogs and if there was any mention of his girlfriend I'd feel depressed for days. He occupied my thoughts constantly, varying in intensity but pretty consistently for 5 years. In the summer I insisted we holiday in the country he recently moved to, I tell myself this was for other reasons but I'm not even sure I believe myself anymore. Whilst there I dragged my boyfriend to the venue he was playing a gig at, and of course he chatted to me introduced himself to my boyfriend. I just seem to inject myself into his life, subtly but forcefully enough for it to be completely abnormal. I can't seem to keep away and leave him alone completely, which I know is what I should do. I started taking Prozac earlier this year and it did help, but I came off it 2 months ago because the lack of motivation I had was making my situation even worse. I felt ok for a while, but today I feel like it's suddenly come back and hit me like a ton of bricks. I just can't go on being like this, I don't know what to do

leagoss likes this

Posted

So I'm still obsessing about the same celebrity as when I posted months ago. Actually, this obsession has been going on for four years now, nearly five. I'm a Christian, he's a Christian, so I won't let myself go down the road of sexual fantasy. For one thing, I respect him a lot and it would just be wrong to "go there" about him. He's also married, and so am I, so I don't want to commit "virtual adultery." I just think he seems like the most awesome guy and I wish I knew him. I think. I imagine he's probably not as completely wonderful as I think he is, but I still think he'd be a great friend. Fortunately we live in towns very far from each other so I can't act on that wish. I definitely don't want to turn into the stalker type! (Even "innocent" stalking.)

I think I'm different from some of y'all in that I don't want to know that much about his real life. I like who he is in my head, and while I don't mind knowing basics like his birthday, where he grew up, etc., I'm good just obsessing about the person I've created in my head from him.

At any rate, I don't want my obsession to end, either. When it starts to wane I do things to stir it up again, like re-reading the story I'm writing about him (well, a person based loosely on him), I load up his band's videos, listen to their music exclusively, etc. I get extremely depressed when his real life intrudes into the one I've created for him. Sometimes that's pretty strong because I'm always looking for new pictures of him on the internet and that will eventually lead me into the "reality" waters I don't want to be in.

I feel super guilty about doing this, since I'm married and have been for almost 20 years. I love my husband, but we definitely have some issues and this "created image" of this celebrity fills in the emotional places DH doesn't. I hate that I do it, but sometimes I think this celebrity thing is what gets me through rough days. When reality really starts to suck, I just turn the situation into something for my story (in which I'm pretty much the girl who ends up marrying him). I feel like such a freak for admitting that. I, too, go around the house all day having conversations with him (as the characters in the story), and I often wish I lived in my story instead of my real, boring life.

As I said, I don't want my obsession to end (although they always do, and something else eventually takes its place, another obsession), but I do worry sometimes that it's keeping me from learning to cope with life's difficulties in a more "normal" way. I have so much fun with it, though! Except when his reality and mine collide -- then it's excruciatingly depressing.

GoldenEve likes this

Posted

I'm so glad there are others who have this obsessive problem. Its what made me join this forum and hopefully get some relief and comfort. I have many problems that are a result of depression, OCD, and anxiety, but this one is one I'm afraid of even telling any counselor or therapist.

I've had this problem for so long, but it doesn't only involve celebrities. Right now, its with someone I'm involved with on a professional level, but the obsession has the same characteristics and makes me feel the same way I do when I feel this way about a celebrity. It almost feels like a mutually exclusive relationship with the other person where although they are unaware of it, I am fully committed to them. Then, for what ever reason (sometimes its that someone else comes along and takes their place), I am not interested in them anymore, and it almost feels like we've broken up. On a side note, it worries me that a real relationship would not be lasting since I seem to go through so many celebrity/normal people obsessions. I must have had about 15 over the years, but it probably rounds out to about 1 or 2 every year, and once I am into them, I am protective of them.

For me, its even harder when its not a celebrity, because there's less of a chance in finding out about the person. Sometimes its that I just want to know they are okay, what they are up to, more about their life. I think what bothers me is that I'll never have that opportunity, and it drives me crazy. My current obsession is with someone I deal with on a strictly professional basis and hardly ever see, but she struck such a chord with me upon first meetnig, I have fantasies about her in my head ALL the time, and am just waiting for the day we meet again. It feels totally awful to sometimes just pass time waiting to see her again, and I've sometimes even made reasons to try and see her, but later decide not to because I'm so nervous, or miss seeing her, and feel really, really down. I've found some info out about her and seen some pictures of events she's attended and feel so jealous that I'm not there with her. It really gets me down in knowing I won't ever because in my head, I'm the right person for her. It doesn't even matter that I don't think she's gay, and I'm confused about my orientation as it is. Which brings me to another point -- I'm a female and I pretty much only ever feel this way about other women, all who are older than me. Its only happened with 2 men, and again, they were older as well.

One other thing -- especially when it comes to my celebrity obsessions, I've found myself splurging on items they have just because they have them. It could be the ugliest shoes in the world in my normal opinion, but because they have them, I have got to have them. I can't even explain it. Its like I will feel too anxious if I don't have them. And this has got to stop, because its gotten out of hand with spending. Sometimes I feel bad about spending, other times, I like the item and consider it a present since I rarely do much for myself. I just know that I should be buying something because I like it, not because the person I'm obsessed with does. But its so hard for me to even recognize who I am anymore because I'm so tangled into these obsessions and fantasies.

I don't know. It just feels comforting in knowing others have this type of obsession. Its draining, but while I am "in" it, it can make me feel so happy, then other times, when I see the person with someone else, or at a party without me, I get really depressed. It has such highs and lows.

Posted

ROFLMAO

OMG I dont know if I would say im obsessed. I just like lookin at the eye candy hearthrob.gif my two is Shemar Moore and Vin Diesel inlove.gifMmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm there should be a law against looking that scrumptious, Oh so sexy!!!

Posted

Hello to everybody! Id like to have contact with obsessed people. My english is not that great, but id like to write every person who has this problem. Im very obsessed and if somebody would like to know how i manage it, message me.

Posted

Well, I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but I do like this one actor and have since I was in 5th grade....I'm in my late 40's now. I remember when I was a kid, I was not allowed to have celeb pics up in my room or buy the popular teen mags of the day. My dad would have given me a thrashing if he found me mooning over any actor or other celeb. I remember (this is weird, I know) cutting out articles and pics and hiding them in a Pringles' can and BURYING them in a secret place!! :gathering: STOP Laughing! ;)

Anyway, I went to HS and then got married and have been for almost 30 years, and all that fell to the background of my mind, but about 7 years ago, when we moved to a new area, I found my favorite TV show on in reruns and swooned again for my cute blond cowboy. :upside: Since then, not only have I recorded every episode but found fanfiction on the internet and have gone to writer's gatherings out of state 3 times! I also have pics in my computer room, my quilt that a friend made me with pics of my cowboy, mugs, buttons, calendars, a mousepad, and even coasters Ebay is WONDERFUL! Am I obsessed? I don't think so. It's just fun for me. I'm kind of enjoying a childhood thing that I couldn't do when I was a kid. My hubby thinks it's cute and even says that I could have picked a worse actor. If I'm obsessed, then that's okay with me. I'm not giving him up. He's still good lookin' at 71. :icon12:

Imaworrywart

Posted

Hello to everybody! Id like to have contact with obsessed people. My english is not that great, but id like to write every person who has this problem. Im very obsessed and if somebody would like to know how i manage it, message me.

Das ist kein Probleme! Ich kann auf deutsch sprechen! (a little bit lol)

Anyway welcome to DF leagoss, I suggest you start your own topic in this OCD section talking about your obsessions, as you will find tons of replies and supportive people, so you're not alone! I also suffer from OCD!

Bis spaeter!

r90

Posted

Hi! Im so glad I found others with this similar problem because I feel that nobody I know is going through this.

I have been obsessed with celebs since I was born (I am now 14)

I am currently obsessed with a 74 year old celeb and I never stop thinking about him. I even try to look up his address, just in case! I once was obsessed so bad;y that I wanted to actually **** myself so I could be with him ( I have severe depression on top of this)... I need helpe because now it is getting harder to concentrate on reality because I know if I met him, he would fall in love with me (so my mind says). Any suggestions please? Thank you smilingteeth.gif

Posted

Well, I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but I do like this one actor and have since I was in 5th grade....I'm in my late 40's now. I remember when I was a kid, I was not allowed to have celeb pics up in my room or buy the popular teen mags of the day. My dad would have given me a thrashing if he found me mooning over any actor or other celeb. I remember (this is weird, I know) cutting out articles and pics and hiding them in a Pringles' can and BURYING them in a secret place!! :gathering: STOP Laughing! ;)

Anyway, I went to HS and then got married and have been for almost 30 years, and all that fell to the background of my mind, but about 7 years ago, when we moved to a new area, I found my favorite TV show on in reruns and swooned again for my cute blond cowboy. :upside: Since then, not only have I recorded every episode but found fanfiction on the internet and have gone to writer's gatherings out of state 3 times! I also have pics in my computer room, my quilt that a friend made me with pics of my cowboy, mugs, buttons, calendars, a mousepad, and even coasters Ebay is WONDERFUL! Am I obsessed? I don't think so. It's just fun for me. I'm kind of enjoying a childhood thing that I couldn't do when I was a kid. My hubby thinks it's cute and even says that I could have picked a worse actor. If I'm obsessed, then that's okay with me. I'm not giving him up. He's still good lookin' at 71. :icon12:

Imaworrywart

"Hello! How are you? I do the same thing! I feel like it is fun to be obsessed a little, but do you think its weird if he is older and im only 14?

Posted

"Hello! How are you? I do the same thing! I feel like it is fun to be obsessed a little, but do you think its weird if he is older and im only 14?

Hey there,

No I don't think it's weird at all to have such obsessions at a relative young age, even though if these are kinda directed at older people.

r90

Posted (edited)

Im so Glad i've found this Forum! It's nice to see it's not only just me in this situation!

I've been in love with this Celebrity for nearly 3 years now, its only recentley I've realised thats it actually become an obsession. Not an obsession in where I have loads of pictures of him around my wall ( just the 1) , I'd never stalk my obsession that would just be wrong. He's all i ever think about all the time. I just cant seem to get him out of my head. Whenever i know im going to see him on tele or at a match i get really excited , I even get butterflies! I do talk about him most of the time but i seriously cant help it i feel like i know him in reality. Whenever something bad happends to him I feel like its happend to me and it gets me really down. It may have something to do with me being unemployed or not having that much of a social life, that im having thoughts about him 24/7. I have fantasy's about him all the time ,like what it would be like to talk to him or even touch him , I know it sounds crazy but having found this forum i feel i get let all my emotions out and not feel stupid about it. Ive recently had counselling sessions to do with Anxitey and depression but i never mention anything about my obsession because i wasent that bad at the time, its in the past few weeks it seems to have taken over me! Im to scared to tell my counseller about it incase they judge me or think ive totally lost the plot. I feel like im losing my friends due to the fact im always feeling down and hardely want to see anyone , when I do see them im not concentrating on what they are talking about due to the fact im thinking about this person!

I Just wish i could do something about it :(

Edited by Flowerpot91
bronte likes this

Posted (edited)

hi i saw this post and decided to register because i have an obsession with a celebrity and i have been obsessed with him for over 2 years now. Occassionally i become less obsessed because i have other things on my mind but most of the time i cant get him out of my head. I feel like im living in a dream world where i make up conversations with him in my head and even though i know its wrong and i shouldnt i feel like i dont want to stop thinking about him because i like him so much. Alot of people would say its just a teenage crush because I am 17 years old but im worried it might be worse than that. I also think its slightly wrong because he is in his 40's and married with kids. I have only ever been in one relationship because although a few guys fancy me i dont think they are good enough because they are not like him. I dont suffer from depression or anxiety but i have notcied that my obsession has become worse since my mum died last august. I am going to be having counselling soon. Reading these posts has helped me because now i know that im not alone.

Edited by jade300993