Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Sertraline And Anxiety

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jacqui41

jacqui41

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

hi has anyone had increased anxiety while taking sertraline? thanksx
Think of the ones you would die for and live for them

#2 AngelOfTheMoor

AngelOfTheMoor

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

How long have you taken the Sertarline? If you've only been taking it for a short time, I think that it can temporarily increase your anxiety before it alleviates it. You'd need to give it a few weeks before it works as it should.

#3 bucky

bucky

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:55 PM

Yes i did,
I started at 50 mg and since increased it to 75 mg. I have been on it for 18 days. I had horrible anxiety the first few weeks. It has gotten just a tad bit better the last week. I still have to take Xanax at night however to sleep through the night.
I used to take my meds at night before bed but found myself waking up at 4-5 in the morning with horrible anxiety. I now take it in the morning which has helped a little with the anxiety

#4 I_need_a_miracle

I_need_a_miracle

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

Yes i did,
I started at 50 mg and since increased it to 75 mg. I have been on it for 18 days. I had horrible anxiety the first few weeks. It has gotten just a tad bit better the last week. I still have to take Xanax at night however to sleep through the night.
I used to take my meds at night before bed but found myself waking up at 4-5 in the morning with horrible anxiety. I now take it in the morning which has helped a little with the anxiety

Hey bucky,
When you say you have been on it for 18 days, do you mean the 75mg? How long were you on the 50mg for? I have been on Zoloft 75mgs for just over a week and the extra anxiety is horrible!

#5 bucky

bucky

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:33 AM

Yes i did,

Hey bucky,
When you say you have been on it for 18 days, do you mean the 75mg? How long were you on the 50mg for? I have been on Zoloft 75mgs for just over a week and the extra anxiety is horrible!

I have only been on the 75 mg dose now for 5 days. I stayed at 50 mg for 13 days. I have noticed a tiny difference in my anxiety. Not a huge one but a slight one nonetheless.
The funny thing was my doctor originally had me on 75 mg. The first day i took it, i knew it was too much too start and dropped immeditately to 50mg till i got used to the side effects

Edited by bucky, 09 November 2009 - 12:34 AM.

#6 I_need_a_miracle

I_need_a_miracle

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:13 PM

Yes i did,

Hey bucky,

I have only been on the 75 mg dose now for 5 days. I stayed at 50 mg for 13 days. I have noticed a tiny difference in my anxiety. Not a huge one but a slight one nonetheless.
The funny thing was my doctor originally had me on 75 mg. The first day i took it, i knew it was too much too start and dropped immeditately to 50mg till i got used to the side effects

Hey Bucky,
how are you doing now on the 75mgs?

#7 bucky

bucky

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

Yes i did,

Hey bucky,

Hey Bucky,

Its funny you should ask because i have almost made the decision to get off this medication and either go cold turkey or try something else. The 75 hasn't seemed to help. It seems my anxiety is just as bad. Its just so weird. For a few days i feel ok like i am turning the corner and then BAM! It all comes back with a vengence.

I still can't sleep through the night without the xanax and my appetitie is totally gone. I cant even taste food. I have dropped 10 lbs since i started it and for me thats alot b/c i am already skinny.

I really don't know what to do. Right now i just want something that will knock me out for 6 months and i wake up to the summer.

#8 I_need_a_miracle

I_need_a_miracle

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:12 AM

Yes i did,

Hey bucky,

Hey Bucky,

Its funny you should ask because i have almost made the decision to get off this medication and either go cold turkey or try something else. The 75 hasn't seemed to help. It seems my anxiety is just as bad. Its just so weird. For a few days i feel ok like i am turning the corner and then BAM! It all comes back with a vengence.

I still can't sleep through the night without the xanax and my appetitie is totally gone. I cant even taste food. I have dropped 10 lbs since i started it and for me thats alot b/c i am already skinny.

I really don't know what to do. Right now i just want something that will knock me out for 6 months and i wake up to the summer.

Hey Bucky,
If I understand it, you have been on Zoloft for a total of 3 weeks now? I'm on day 17 and I can totally relate. I am having doubts also but there are people on here who went through hell for a few weeks and are now having success.
I have now been on the 75mgs for 10 days and my anxiety is worse. I wake up in a panic and it doesnt seem to get better until the late evening and then starts allover the next day. It feels like torture! :shocked:
When I went on Celexa 8 years ago, I think I went through the same thing. I got really bad and stayed in bed for weeks. The only reason I didnt quit the Celexa is because I couldnt get out of bed to go to the doctors. And then I got better. I think one day, I just got out of bed and started living again. It might have taken a month. Those were hazy days.
I am currently on a milk only diet, it's about the only thing I can get down my throat. I have read that Zoloft is more effective when taken with food.
How impossible does doing that sound!
I too am losing weight and I can't afford to do so either.
I have the same thought..only I want to be put into a coma or the freezer until the next 6 weeks pass.
I think that the fact that you are having fleeting moments of okay-ness may be an indication that the Zoloft will eventually kick in. At least that is what I am telling myself!
Hope tomorrow is a better day....

#9 bucky

bucky

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

i need a miracle,
Thanks for the kind reply and just know i feel your pain and frustration. Yes, I have been on the Zoloft now for 23 days so a little over 3 weeks.
Today, i dropped back down to 50 mg. I am going to ride this out at that dosage for 4 more weeks. Hell, i should at least use up my prescription that i paid for.

I remember when i had my first full blown depressive episode which was back in 1995. I was trying to remember but i think i tried at various times Zoloft,Paxil, and Prozac and remember giving up on everyone of them because of the anxiety issues i was experiencing. I then remember my doctor giving me Tofranil(imipramine). I liked it because once it kicked in all i did was sleep. Thats all i want to do right now is be able to lay down and sleep w/o waking for at least 8 hours. If i thought i could put up with the horrible side effects, i have an inclination to ask my dr for it again.

#10 I_need_a_miracle

I_need_a_miracle

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:28 AM

i need a miracle,
Thanks for the kind reply and just know i feel your pain and frustration. Yes, I have been on the Zoloft now for 23 days so a little over 3 weeks.
Today, i dropped back down to 50 mg. I am going to ride this out at that dosage for 4 more weeks. Hell, i should at least use up my prescription that i paid for.

I remember when i had my first full blown depressive episode which was back in 1995. I was trying to remember but i think i tried at various times Zoloft,Paxil, and Prozac and remember giving up on everyone of them because of the anxiety issues i was experiencing. I then remember my doctor giving me Tofranil(imipramine). I liked it because once it kicked in all i did was sleep. Thats all i want to do right now is be able to lay down and sleep w/o waking for at least 8 hours. If i thought i could put up with the horrible side effects, i have an inclination to ask my dr for it again.

I know what you mean. Tofranil was the first med I ever tried and it made me sleep. I stopped it because everytime I stood up, I just about passed out. I think the best med I ever used for anxiety (excluding Zoloft, its too early) was moclobemide.

#11 Pixijessa

Pixijessa

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:02 AM

I have to admit, I just started zoloft on 50mg about 4 weeks ago and it didn't reall help, I still had problems sleeping. I took it the night before because I already fall alseep during class and can't afford to fall asleep there!

Anyways, I'm taking 100mg of Zoloft now, only for 3 days, and I still have problems sleeping. I sleep all day, and become active at night! I try as hard as I can to fall asleep at night, but I think too much in bed and can't relax.... :(

And I still have sooo many nightmares! One time I remember I woke up screaming!...

Have nightmares or unequal sleeping patterns helped you guys out later on?
Depressed? You can't be if you play "World of Warcraft"

#12 I_need_a_miracle

I_need_a_miracle

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:30 AM

I have to admit, I just started zoloft on 50mg about 4 weeks ago and it didn't reall help, I still had problems sleeping. I took it the night before because I already fall alseep during class and can't afford to fall asleep there!

Anyways, I'm taking 100mg of Zoloft now, only for 3 days, and I still have problems sleeping. I sleep all day, and become active at night! I try as hard as I can to fall asleep at night, but I think too much in bed and can't relax.... :(

And I still have sooo many nightmares! One time I remember I woke up screaming!...

Have nightmares or unequal sleeping patterns helped you guys out later on?

Hey Pixijessa,
Is the Zoloft helping your anxiety and or depression?
I am only on day 24 of Zoloft, but I don't get the nightmares. The last med I was on ( Avanza ) gave me really bad ones. I know what you mean about the sleeping though, I want to sleep during the day, but find it hard to at night. I have found that splitting my dose ( 50mgs in the morning and 25mgs in the afternoon has helped a little. I was waking up in the morning with my heart feeling like it was being squeezed, but that has been getting better over the last few days. I am also only needing 2.5 mgs of Diazepam to help me go to sleep now, instead of 5mgs.
The upset stomach, shaking and weak legs is what is driving me nuts at the moment.
Did anyone else get this?

#13 J_A_M

J_A_M

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:58 AM

Yes i am getting all three, i even struggled to drive the other day because my leg was shaking!

Regards

Jam

#14 jacqui41

jacqui41

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:59 AM

hi.........i have put myself down to 50mg of sertraline.........the anxiety is hell.........ihad to get some diazepam but that doesnt even help...seeing doc tomorrow not sure what he will do tho. im sure its anxiety from the sertraline he put me straight onto 150mg. i cant bear this much longer...i cant eat...my arms and legs are weak i feel terrible.
Think of the ones you would die for and live for them

#15 I_need_a_miracle

I_need_a_miracle

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:56 AM

hi.........i have put myself down to 50mg of sertraline.........the anxiety is hell.........ihad to get some diazepam but that doesnt even help...seeing doc tomorrow not sure what he will do tho. im sure its anxiety from the sertraline he put me straight onto 150mg. i cant bear this much longer...i cant eat...my arms and legs are weak i feel terrible.

Hi jacqui41,
It sounds like you are experiencing typical side effects. The diazepam doesnt really help me much either sometimes. The nausea and arm and leg weakness are really bad for me too. It sounds like 150mgs was just too much to start with. Did you drop down to 100 first or did you go straight from 150 to 50? If so, thats a big drop and I suppose its plausible that you make get side effects from such a large drop.
Let us know how you go with your doctor. Have you got a psychiatrist? They are (usually) better with medication knowledge.
Know that you are not alone.

#16 bucky

bucky

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:43 PM

Well just to give a quick update:
I have since dropped down to 50 mg per day and stayed there and i have to admit i have started to feel an improvement. I can really see it in the way i am handling things with my ex. She called me a few days ago and made a request of me that usually would send me into a deep anxiety riddled depressive state. Instead, i was able to tell her no and not dwell so deeply on it. Just little steps that i am noticing.

My anxiety has also leveled off and i am sleeping just a wee bit better through the night. I have made it through a few nights with no xanax which is monumental for me for as bad as i was a month ago. My appetite is still not where it used to be but thats not all bad.

The only thing that has not improved is my motivation. Simple tasks like making myself get up at a certain time,cleaning the house, and staying focused at work are still a huge problem for me. I really don't want to increase the dosage because of the bad feelings i had on the 75 dose. I think i will just ride out the 50 for awhile.

#17 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

I have since dropped down to 50 mg per day and stayed there and i have to admit i have started to feel an improvement. I can really see it in the way i am handling things with my ex. She called me a few days ago and made a request of me that usually would send me into a deep anxiety riddled depressive state. Instead, i was able to tell her no and not dwell so deeply on it. Just little steps that i am noticing.

My anxiety has also leveled off and i am sleeping just a wee bit better through the night. I have made it through a few nights with no xanax which is monumental for me for as bad as i was a month ago. My appetite is still not where it used to be but thats not all bad.

The only thing that has not improved is my motivation. Simple tasks like making myself get up at a certain time,cleaning the house, and staying focused at work are still a huge problem for me. I really don't want to increase the dosage because of the bad feelings i had on the 75 dose. I think i will just ride out the 50 for awhile.

Hello Bucky.

Sounds like you handled the call from your ex beautifully. No dwelling, no anxiety. Good going! :sneaky2: It's like you said - little steps. It's amazing how far small steps will take us.

Sleeping better, even "just a wee bit better," is wonderful. No Xanax?! That's great! :shocked: Wish I could say the same. :wwww: I know all about sleep trouble. It ain't fun. Hope your sleep continues to improve.

As for motication...again, Bucky, small steps. Recovery takes time, but everything will fall into place. Stay the course with 50 mgs, keep your doc updated, give it some time, and then reassess your motivation and focus.

Please keep us posted.

Wishing you a good night's sleep.
-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#18 mjhouse

mjhouse

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:21 PM

my doc put me on propanol (adreniline blocker) sorry about spelling. That helped me totally! I had really bad anxiety that turned into panic attacks that were almost too much to handle. Maybe talk to your doc about something like that. It worked great for me. I am on 50mg of Zoloft and will probably be upping it this week as I have adjusted to the dose.

Edited by mjhouse, 20 December 2009 - 10:23 PM.

#19 leezie

leezie

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

I was put on Sertraline 100 mg ( again) and know that I´m not gonna take it. The doctor also put m on Topiramate 50 and Clobazam.    A zombi will do better... I already feel bad and depressed like hell and can´t  tolerate the side effects of these meds.. Might as well find something else that works.   Sertraline takes at least a month to kick in so I   decided not to use it. These P-docs are all the same- just write you a prescription and off you go to hell.. So i am  not going to have 1 month of panic attack sertraline.  Might as well just work out whem my knees  don´t ache... Good luck to you all. Depression is the worst pain that a human can endure.. I so wish there was a way... counting to 50 doesn´t help, I´ve tried.. Lately I´ve been feeling so bad that am having high blood pressure!! Never have experienced this before, the  head stomping, Jesus, this is crazy!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users