Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Try Lexapro If Celexa Doesn't Work?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zephyrcat

zephyrcat

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

hi there,
I've had a sleep disorder most of my life (unrefreshing sleep, terrible tiredness during day) and have tried to address it in many, many ways--including trying many, many drugs. 20 in all, i think, including several AD's such as wellbutrin, elavil, paxil, remeron, trazadone and celexa.

Now my doc wants me to try Lexapro, and to be honest, i'm scared (i hate side effects) and i just can't find evidence that it would be helpful if Celexa wasn't. From what i read, if celexa helped a little, then lexapro might help (with its more-specific isomer, or something like that), but if celexa didn't help at all, well..then it seems lexapro won't. I guess i've never had any AD work, and so something that's closely related to one just doesn't seem like it would work, to me. I don't want to suffer for a month if there's no chance of it working!

Does anyone have an experience of Celexa NOT working at all, but Lexapro WORKING? Any reason to try it? We're looking to it to alleviate anxiety and thus possibly induce deeper sleep. *sigh*. Thank you so much for your help

#2 drewmandan

drewmandan

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:00 AM

hi there,
I've had a sleep disorder most of my life (unrefreshing sleep, terrible tiredness during day) and have tried to address it in many, many ways--including trying many, many drugs. 20 in all, i think, including several AD's such as wellbutrin, elavil, paxil, remeron, trazadone and celexa.

Now my doc wants me to try Lexapro, and to be honest, i'm scared (i hate side effects) and i just can't find evidence that it would be helpful if Celexa wasn't. From what i read, if celexa helped a little, then lexapro might help (with its more-specific isomer, or something like that), but if celexa didn't help at all, well..then it seems lexapro won't. I guess i've never had any AD work, and so something that's closely related to one just doesn't seem like it would work, to me. I don't want to suffer for a month if there's no chance of it working!

Does anyone have an experience of Celexa NOT working at all, but Lexapro WORKING? Any reason to try it? We're looking to it to alleviate anxiety and thus possibly induce deeper sleep. *sigh*. Thank you so much for your help

How much do you know about your actual sleep cycles? Have you hooked yourself up to an EEG or anything of that nature? I only ask because ADs seem like a strange treatment for unrefreshing sleep. Usually if you don't feel rested, that's because you haven't gotten enough REM sleep, which could be because you're sleeping too lightly or too deeply. For example, people that take lots of sleeping pills have similar problems because they're skipping REM and just becoming totally unconscious.

It may also be that your circadian rhythm doesn't jive with your lifestyle. If you're trying to force yourself to sleep during a time of day when your melatonin levels aren't right, you might get to sleep, but it won't be restful. Maybe you're naturally nocturnal. You might try sleeping during the day.

#3 zephyrcat

zephyrcat

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

hi there,

How much do you know about your actual sleep cycles? Have you hooked yourself up to an EEG or anything of that nature? I only ask because ADs seem like a strange treatment for unrefreshing sleep. Usually if you don't feel rested, that's because you haven't gotten enough REM sleep, which could be because you're sleeping too lightly or too deeply. For example, people that take lots of sleeping pills have similar problems because they're skipping REM and just becoming totally unconscious.

It may also be that your circadian rhythm doesn't jive with your lifestyle. If you're trying to force yourself to sleep during a time of day when your melatonin levels aren't right, you might get to sleep, but it won't be restful. Maybe you're naturally nocturnal. You might try sleeping during the day.

Hi,
thanks for your response. Actually, I've had extensive sleep studies that show i don't go into stage 3/4 sleep (that's deep sleep; REM sleep is dream sleep, which is not the restorative sleep like stage 3/4 is). My circadian rhythms appear to be normal. AD's are often prescribed to try to address the underlying depression and/or anxiety that could be causing the poor sleep. Not sure if i have depression, though i know i've been anxious most of my life and that the insomnia began with increased anxiety when i went to college.
The benzo's helped me sometimes, but i went off them--as you say, some pills mess with sleep architecture and take away the deep sleep that we're trying to get.
Anyway, mostly i'd love to know if Lexapro ever works when Celexa has been an utter failure; I'm tired of trying the SSRI's, but don't want to miss out on something that *might* work for me.
Thank you!

#4 drewmandan

drewmandan

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

hi there,

Hi,
thanks for your response. Actually, I've had extensive sleep studies that show i don't go into stage 3/4 sleep (that's deep sleep; REM sleep is dream sleep, which is not the restorative sleep like stage 3/4 is). My circadian rhythms appear to be normal. AD's are often prescribed to try to address the underlying depression and/or anxiety that could be causing the poor sleep. Not sure if i have depression, though i know i've been anxious most of my life and that the insomnia began with increased anxiety when i went to college.
The benzo's helped me sometimes, but i went off them--as you say, some pills mess with sleep architecture and take away the deep sleep that we're trying to get.
Anyway, mostly i'd love to know if Lexapro ever works when Celexa has been an utter failure; I'm tired of trying the SSRI's, but don't want to miss out on something that *might* work for me.
Thank you!

Ok, well it seems you've ruled out time of day as a factor. It's quite possible you've developed an anxiety disorder from college. God knows college is giving me some pretty decent anxiety.

Yeah, that's a tough one. There are many things that western medicine does not yet understand, and sleep is one of them. It sounds like a chemical imbalance, but who knows. This is probably a stupid question, but have you tried melatonin supplements, or vitamin B, things of that nature?

#5 zephyrcat

zephyrcat

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

hi there,

Hi,
Thank you!

Ok, well it seems you've ruled out time of day as a factor. It's quite possible you've developed an anxiety disorder from college. God knows college is giving me some pretty decent anxiety.

Yeah, that's a tough one. There are many things that western medicine does not yet understand, and sleep is one of them. It sounds like a chemical imbalance, but who knows. This is probably a stupid question, but have you tried melatonin supplements, or vitamin B, things of that nature?

hi drewmanden,

i appreciate your inquiries and suggestions; however, i am really just focussing right now on whether Lexapro would be a good thing to try, after Celexa had failed. i could talk all day about my sleep and its issues, and things i've tried (many), but in this forum i'd like to focus on the drugs that are spotlighted (celexa and lexapro).

thanks for your help, though--i wish you good health!

#6 r_kage

r_kage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

I would like to know the same thing. I've been on Celexa for depression in the past without success and will be starting Lexapro in 2 weeks (after tapering off Zoloft). Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Rhonda

Age 38; dx: Asperger Syndrome, treatment-resistant depression

"My Amazing Ability....to avoid doing work!!! It's quite brilliant. I should bottle it and sell it to workaholics, although that would require w.o.r.k. and god knows when I'd get around to it." ~Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users