Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Tinnitus(ringing In Ears)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jeebise23

jeebise23

ID: 41973

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

hi, i was just wondering if anyone out here that has tinnitus do u think its from your anxiety because mine started when i was 20 years old 18 years ago and thats when my anxiety and panic attacks and depression startedit never went away but it verys it pitch by my anxiety levels that day i have been to every docter to see if they can find something physical wrong but every one says im fine and that its due to over stimulation of my nervous systom well i have been taking evey drug you can think off and no relief if anyone has any feedback on something similar and if you guys also think that t can be caused by anxiety plz give me your advice thanks joihn

#2 SmilingElephant

SmilingElephant

ID: 41871

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

hi, i was just wondering if anyone out here that has tinnitus do u think its from your anxiety because mine started when i was 20 years old 18 years ago and thats when my anxiety and panic attacks and depression startedit never went away but it verys it pitch by my anxiety levels that day i have been to every docter to see if they can find something physical wrong but every one says im fine and that its due to over stimulation of my nervous systom well i have been taking evey drug you can think off and no relief if anyone has any feedback on something similar and if you guys also think that t can be caused by anxiety plz give me your advice thanks joihn

WOW!!! I have different ringing pitches in my ears too....but i always assumed it was bc of my scoliosis...my spine is so crooked. Sometimes the sound seems to "leave" my ear....the same feeling you get when water drops in your ear.....ughhhhh....its startling!
>> Good things happen when the Elephant smiles <<

#3 chel

chel

ID: 25522

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:04 PM

i got it when i had alot of stress and depression, xanax has halped me alot and i have been on and off ad medications and i know that i get it owrse when i am on some meds it was a real problem when i went on pristiq and i would wake up and my jaw woud hurt from clenching .. muscle relaxers help amd there are soem natural ones you may want rto try and a;so you can get it if you take too much tylenol

#4 northstar

northstar

ID: 16848

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

i had the problem with ringing in my ears too! sometimes a high pitched noise, sometimes a whooshing sound with the beat of my heart.

apparently it can be a symptom of hypoglycemia, which is low blood sugar. hypyglycemia is a big cause of anxiety, but unfortunately not many people know about it! when i discovered and connection between low blood sugar & anxiety it solved my problems :)

that was 2 years ago now & i'm 110% better. it's pretty easily managed with diet. sometimes i still get the ringing if i'm not eating frequently enough or if i've been eating too many of the wrong foods! but for the most part it's fine.

i have loads of information on low blood sugar & anxiety so if you'd like some links to sites you can read up on just let me know and i'll send you a PM :)

#5 POPI

POPI

Advanced Member

ID: 36188

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

Hi all,
I also have confirmed tinnitus. Started in January when my latest panic attack came on. We thought it was initially caused by Zoloft , but p-doc stopped it in February and it remains. It can be caused by many things...Anxiety is a biggy. Loud noises, lots of meds have it as a side effect. There is a difference noted by pitch. High pitched noises, whistling, that sort of noise tends to be the incurable kind. The lower levels, like roaring or, noise that seems to accompany your heartbeat tend to be attached to blood vessel problems. Like arteries and such. Mine is high pitched and I guess is here for the duration. I handle it by working on habituating it to the other noises around me. Can't stand benzos so Xanax, which I hear is a way to deal with it, is not an option for me. I'll just hope that in time my brain stops recognizing it as a threat and it will just become another background noise for me. That being said, It's not an easy thing to deal with. Blessings to all. Peace..............................POPI

#6 jeebise23

jeebise23

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

i had the problem with ringing in my ears too! sometimes a high pitched noise, sometimes a whooshing sound with the beat of my heart.

apparently it can be a symptom of hypoglycemia, which is low blood sugar. hypyglycemia is a big cause of anxiety, but unfortunately not many people know about it! when i discovered and connection between low blood sugar & anxiety it solved my problems :)

that was 2 years ago now & i'm 110% better. it's pretty easily managed with diet. sometimes i still get the ringing if i'm not eating frequently enough or if i've been eating too many of the wrong foods! but for the most part it's fine.

i have loads of information on low blood sugar & anxiety so if you'd like some links to sites you can read up on just let me know and i'll send you a PM :)

hey northstar i would love for you to send me all the information you have on the tinnitus and hypo case thank you

#7 jeebise23

jeebise23

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

hi i know i posted a topic similar to this one but i wanted to know if there r any docters or people who know if anxiety can provoke tinnitus, as i have been sufering for the last 15years and no docter can tell me what iys from i can make the ringing pitch louder if i am under alot more stress than usual, if i move my neck side to side, and if i strain myself i can even change the pitch by touching and pushing my nectk or cheeks close to my ears and what ever side i do iyt to that is the side that is effected, now i am no docter but i have been doing research for a long time and i am getting sick of docters telling me you have to live with it i was only 19 years young when this all started and i am a gad suffer as i am always amped up but im thinkingif my adrenal system is constantley on high alert possible the nerves in the ear or blod vessels get constricted but like i said i really need some help her from anyone who is or was and there solution to this proble, i have tryed every type of dr. and every gimmick on the intenet waste of money i now believe its due to my stress and anxityso plz anybody out there that can pt there 2 cents in would b appreciated because there r times i wish i were dead thank john

#8 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

I'm so glad that you posted this because I have it also and am quite sure that it's related to anxiety. Pm me for a link to an article on some possible things we can try. (I just found it.)
Iowa

#9 northstar

northstar

ID: 16848

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:52 AM

hey northstar i would love for you to send me all the information you have on the tinnitus and hypo case thank you

sorry it took a couple of days to reply jeebsie, i've been busy with halloween :D

i've sent you a PM with a link, but if you type Tinnitus and Low Blood Sugar into google you'll get more information :)

#10 mysticalgumballs

mysticalgumballs

ID: 42262

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:57 AM

yes! my ears ring all day and night for the past year or 2 or 3 (bad with time lol!) its a fairly constant sound with the same pitch and volume, with the exception of when i have a panic attack or am in shock, then it goes SCREEEEEEEEEEEECHHHHHHHH! to the point that it makes me want to rip my head off.

#11 tamsynx

tamsynx

ID: 43503

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

I've had the high pitched one off and on for about as long as I can remember, but it wasn't that common for me. Since I started on meds though, it seems to happen a lot more.
I am not a doctor. All I can do is offer my opinion.

#12 Mandaly

Mandaly

ID: 43780

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

I can't remember a time when I didn't have ringing in my ears. I assumed it was due to high caffeine intake and poor diet. It never occurred to me that it could be another anxiety symptom.

My husband gets so mad when I sit in a room reading a book with the television on. He doesn't understand how annoying the ringing is if I am in a quiet room.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....no wait, it was just the worst of times...."

#13 hrl03

hrl03

ID: 43715

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Ahhh, tinnitis! My worst, best friend... I have several personal theories as to the intensity of my tinnitus. One of which is medication (SSRI) related, stress/anxiety can really increase the intensity. I have am fortunate to have a tinnitus clinic a few hours away. Several years ago I went through a complete workup with them (OHSU in Portland, Oregon). The director is an amazing person; as can be said for all the staff there! The tinnitus I have had for years is due to a genetic hearing loss in my right ear. The increase in severity is due to the SSRI meds, anxiety/stress. I am in the process of decreasing the medication and I use meditation and breathing to reduce my stress. As a result of the consultation with OHSU, I now wear a hearing aid. It has helped with the tinnitus simply by allowing more normal sounds in my ear. Believe it or not, it makes the tinnitus less noticeable during the day. At night I fall asleep with the radio on so that I have something to concentrate on besides the ringing in my ear. Not much is known about the causes of tinnitus. There are resources available to help you cope, even reading a book with the TV in the background helps like Mandalay said. Tinnitus can be a horrible cycle and the general medical community is not well informed. My tinnitus can cause more anxiety which increases my depression which increases the tinnitus, etc. Google OHSU Tinnitus Clinic or American Tinnitus Association. I KNOW how frustrating it is John. Don't give up!

Grace
One Day At A Time

#14 xtreme88

xtreme88

ID: 48835

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

I have got it to im 25 years old male
I went on Celexa, 20mgs but i took half a pill for 7 days and 2 full pills and i had to get off
I had ringing right from the very first half pill and i was going crazy thinking it would go away, and the doctor took me off and told its a common side effect

and it almost went away i could barley hear it, and all along this i have been taking 25mg serquel to sleep
and the other week it came back pretty loud not as loud as when i was on celexa
but its D*** annoying and the only different things i did was take aleve a few times and advil from headaches

which i think brought it back out....
im frusterated all this happened a month ago and a month later its still going on with the ringing

and i have never had this problem before i took these meds from anxiety
i do know for sure that celexa was the main cause and what brought it out....but i cant figure out why its back maybe the aleve since i never taken it before
im going to see ENT doctor soon and im just going to play the waiting game since i stopped serequel now and am just going to wait a few weeks to see if it goes away its so loud and overwhelming

you really have to listen to white noise or relaxing sounds on an ipod to get through this....its very very very hard !

#15 Jonny71

Jonny71

Just Registered

ID: 48651

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hi i would love to see those links please! I have in the last month developed tinnitus and it has is ruining my life, i cant sleep properly, also the link to hypoglycemia is very interesting to me as i always had problems with that as a younger man... im 39 now and my life feels like it goin in a downward spiral after this tinnitus started.
Thanks for the post

Edited by Jonny71, 30 May 2010 - 03:15 PM.

#16 TetrisKing23

TetrisKing23

ID: 48334

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

I've had ringing in my ears for the last 15 years or so and I am only 21.

#17 xtreme88

xtreme88

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

i just want to let people know my ringing has quieted down abit and i can only hear it when i focus on it and still abit annoying at night but i use a fan and it helps

it seems to be getting better i have hope.....this shouldnt be permanent

#18 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:14 AM

Hi xtreme88

That is excellent news. I hope it completely disappears for you soon.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#19 xtreme88

xtreme88

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:36 PM

Hi xtreme88

That is excellent news. I hope it completely disappears for you soon.

Trace

Hi all I went to the ENT doctor today and he said he is certain it is coming from my anxiety/stress but today well the last few days i can almost not hear it
but he could tell im anxious and i said well yeah ive been listening to loud ringing for like 2months

he wants me try a new anti depressent called (amitriptyline) Elavil...25mg
for 30 days and go back to him, he said he gives it to patients with tinitus and it found it works for most of them
im just scared to try it because I have the ringing down to a point where i dont hear it all the time only if im in complete quietness i hear it in the distance abit

and im still convinced i got it from celexa...because thats when it started 2 months ago
im debating what to do

#20 xtreme88

xtreme88

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:55 AM

just to update for today

i woke up and man it felt good i had the best sleep i had in 2 months i didnt wakeup in fear of the ringing and when i slept last night i slept in my bed and didnt have to have the fan on...man this is looking good but i need a few weeks like this to feel confident

#21 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:13 AM

Hi xtreme

That is wonderful news. I hope that it continues to get better. I am so glad that you got some restful sleep.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users