Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Has My Zoloft Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nefret

Nefret

Advanced Member

ID: 33216

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:22 AM

Hi all,

I have been on 100 plus mg of Zoloft for about 4 years I think, and feel as though I am not on one at all. I feel it should be doing more. I forgot how it felt when I first went on it, but I am sure that the results were great cause I'ld be telling my doc to switch me.

I feel, I could be wrong, be feel as though it has stopped working.

Has this happen to you?
And after how long did it stop being effective?

I have spoken to my p-doc about this and she says that it takes longer for it to stop working. Though I feel with other things, that she is not quite that good and should find another one, but hard in the parts where I live.

I would love to hear your experiences with Zoloft stopped working or what you have heard the true 'working-life' of Zoloft. I feel quite depressed and shouldn't feel this way on and AD.

Would soooo love some input!!!

-Nefret

#2 alinam

alinam

ID: 38339

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

Hi all,

I have been on 100 plus mg of Zoloft for about 4 years I think, and feel as though I am not on one at all. I feel it should be doing more. I forgot how it felt when I first went on it, but I am sure that the results were great cause I'ld be telling my doc to switch me.

Has this happen to you?

I have spoken to my p-doc about this and she says that it takes longer for it to stop working. Though I feel with other things, that she is not quite that good and should find another one, but hard in the parts where I live.

I would love to hear your experiences with Zoloft stopped working or what you have heard the true 'working-life' of Zoloft. I feel quite depressed and shouldn't feel this way on and AD.

-Nefret

Sorry no one has responded to your post. I hope you're checking back once in awhile. I'm not sure that anyone in this forum has been on zoloft for that long. I can say that I was on paxil which is very similar for approximately five years when it "stopped working". Usually, in a case like this, most people respond to a simple increase in the dose and since you're only taking 100 mg, you've got some wiggle room.

That being said, if your doc was to increase the dose, you could have some worsening of depression or anxiety, or a bit of a wait before you feel better. My psychiatrist tried to increase my paxil dose and my body reacted badly, but what I've been through is apparently extremely rare and has stumped a number of doctors (just in case you read my posts, don't panic).

At any rate, feel free to "hop on the Z-train" for some support (I often forget to check the other posts just because it's such a habit). It's not an exclusive club and we'd love to see you and give you hugs and support.

Ali

#3 Nefret

Nefret

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:57 PM

Thanks Ali !!

I was on paxil before and I had some anxiety with it....go figure LOL

I will ask my p-doc about increasing or trying something else like Prozac. I remember when I was on it before, I did well on it, but it stopped working, but now it might work again??

BTW What is the z-train???

-Nefret

#4 SerenityForever

SerenityForever

ID: 38140

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:40 AM

I am not on Zoloft but once was and it didnt agree with my body had terrible side effects BUT I dont believe that ANY AD, with anyone, has a certain time span that it would stop working. I am not a professional but I think you should get a new pdr. OR you can even ask a primary doctor or a pharmacist if there is a set time for Zoloft to stop working. I think thats crazy cause everyones body and chemistry is totally different so I cant see how someone can say that "I have spoken to my p-doc about this and she says that it takes longer for it to stop working". It just doesnt sound right to me and I have never heard of anything like that like putting a time limit on how long an AD will work. Like I said I am not a professional but have been on different AD's for over 20 years. I would recommend calling a pharmacist and ask if he has ever heard of such a thing. Good Luck and let us know how you are doing! :shocked:

#5 Nefret

Nefret

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

I am not on Zoloft but once was and it didnt agree with my body had terrible side effects BUT I dont believe that ANY AD, with anyone, has a certain time span that it would stop working. I am not a professional but I think you should get a new pdr. OR you can even ask a primary doctor or a pharmacist if there is a set time for Zoloft to stop working. I think thats crazy cause everyones body and chemistry is totally different so I cant see how someone can say that "I have spoken to my p-doc about this and she says that it takes longer for it to stop working". It just doesnt sound right to me and I have never heard of anything like that like putting a time limit on how long an AD will work. Like I said I am not a professional but have been on different AD's for over 20 years. I would recommend calling a pharmacist and ask if he has ever heard of such a thing. Good Luck and let us know how you are doing! :shocked:

Thank you so very much!!! Never thought of that...
I will ask my pharmacist who I am on great terms with, almost friends, hubs and I have been to his house....anyway will ask him...GREAT idea!!
It is hard here in Canada right now to find a new insurance paid p-doctor, so that is not quite an easy thing to do. But the pharmacist,and have and appt with my GP in an hour and will ask him, but he is new and don't really like how he pracitces medicine.....no compassion whatsoever........

ANyway, thanks!!!!

BTW, my p-doc, I am not to impressed with either...don't have high standards, but do have some standards LOL

-Nefret

#6 alinam

alinam

ID: 38339

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

Thank you so very much!!! Never thought of that...
I will ask my pharmacist who I am on great terms with, almost friends, hubs and I have been to his house....anyway will ask him...GREAT idea!!
It is hard here in Canada right now to find a new insurance paid p-doctor, so that is not quite an easy thing to do. But the pharmacist,and have and appt with my GP in an hour and will ask him, but he is new and don't really like how he pracitces medicine.....no compassion whatsoever........

ANyway, thanks!!!!

BTW, my p-doc, I am not to impressed with either...don't have high standards, but do have some standards LOL

-Nefret

The Z-train is just another thread in the zoloft forum where some of us hang out for support.

I know what you mean about it being difficult to find a different doctor or psychiatrist. Where I live there are plenty of GPs but not many psych providers that take insurance (especially not my insurance). I told my husband yesterday that I was going to call the psychiatrist I was seeing before and tell him I was going to a different practitioner because the co pay was more affordable. He said I shouldn't have to explain to him why I'm going to someone else. I told him that I didn't want to burn any bridges if the new guy turns out to be a jerk or an *****. There just aren't enough behavioral health doctors out there.

There's no way to say how long it might take for a particular SSRI to "stop working". Some people seem to "adjust" to their dose very quickly and have to increase it. I've also read forums in other places where people talk about having done really well on zoloft for well over 10 years. So it really does depend on the person. In the same "forum" I read a man's post that said he had to switch back and forth from zoloft to paxil and back nearly every year. Who knows that's all about, but he said it worked for him.

I've had a year of turmoil since the psychiatrist took me off paxil saying he didn't think it was working for me anymore. We tried several things, but I'm still having problems. I wish I could go back on the paxil and go back to not having severe anxiety and breakthrough panic attacks, but it's taken me a long time to get up to this dose on the zoloft and I don't have the energy to wean off another med and onto a different one.

Hope you're having a good day.

Ali

#7 supersack

supersack

ID: 39518

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:04 AM

Hi all,

Has this happen to you?

-Nefret

There is no set timeframe for how long this drug will help you. It worked for me for 15 years and continues to, though not as well.
Hard to say if it is helping you because you do not know what you would be like without it now.
It is possible that the drug has "pooped out"- meaning it will offer you no help at any dosage. But it's also possible that the stressors in your life have intensified, so you need a higher dosage. It could also simply mean, I think, that for some reason the drug is no longer working for you the same way, and you need to increase the dosage. Sometimes even a small increase can do wonders. You can go up to 200 mg, though in some cases a pdoc will go higher.
Worse case sceanrio is that you'll need to add an adjunct med, like buspar, or substitute another ad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users