Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Welcome To The Cymbalta - Cymbalta ® (duloxetine Hcl) Forum!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:54 AM

Welcome to the Cymbalta - Cymbalta ® (duloxetine HCl) forum! Please feel free to post a bit about yourself so we can get acquainted.

Read around the room as there is a wealth of information on Cymbalta even on the back pages and you may also add a reply to any topic that fits what is on your mind!
If you don't find what you are looking for, go ahead and post here in this welcome thread or feel free to start your own Topic..

Looking forward to getting to know you! :hearts:

:flowers:
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#2 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:56 AM

Last few from old thread.

Ok im posting this for anyone who wants to read.
I have social phobia and depression. I never really thought of myself as having depression. I just thought i didn't give a s*** about anything.
I had tried 3 or 4antidepressants in the past and gave up on them but recently i thought I would give them another shot and the doc gave me cymbalta. Its been 5 weeks and 1 day exactly today and i was starting to lose hope. Now today i woke up and i noticed that i was feeling pretty dam good! I feel very content and not so overwhelmed by everything. I went down to the shops before so i could test it out on anxiety. It didnt really have much of an effect as i was still anxious. But i noticed after woods that it didn't really bother me as i would usually think about it afterwords...(you know do the hole re-run things through my head and stuff). So im hoping it gets better but i can see that im going to have to work on the anxiety to get improvement and get over this crap.
Basicly im sasying to everyone dont give up on antidepressants. I know there is a lot of stuff on the net saying they dont work and there placebos and its unfortunate because it could turn people off trying them. It took me four shots to find one that works and it took whole 5 weeks before i notices anything at all. I know its frustrating but just hang in there and dont give up!
Good luck everyone

Hi everyone.

This is my first post. I really appreciate all the information that I've been finding on these boards & how open everyone seems to be with what they are going through. Thank you.

I took my first Cymbalta capsule yesterday afternoon around 3:00 pm. It made me sleepy within a couple of hours and last night gave me terrible nausea, which was pretty bad, plus a bad headache (which I still have today). I felt groggy this morning, but this is wearing off. My husband said I seem more at peace with things today and I'm sure much of that is the result of going to my doctor for help, for I no longer feel like I'm carrying this big burden alone (but I am still depressed, and know this will take time and effort on my part).

I have ADD and also take adderall, plus thyroid medication (my what a tangled web we weave).

Debating on whether to take my 2nd dose of Cymbalta today and experience the same symptoms, or hold off and talk to my doctor on Monday.

My biggest fear about this medication is what I have read on these forums about getting off the meds. I have no embarrassment about taking meds, but I hope not to be on them forever (goodness knows if I'll be able to afford them when I retire someday). If getting off the meds are going to leave me worse off than I am now, then I'd prefer to hold out for something else.

My questions for those of you who have either taken this med or similar are:

1. Do the initial symptoms of starting the meds go away after your body has acclimated, or will they get worse (and will more side effects crop up)?
(I have a huge project coming up at work that will either make or break me, so I cannot afford to be worse off than I am now.)

2. Has anyone successfully gone off Cymbalta without months of anguish?

Thanks, in advance, for anyone who can share their personal experience.

Hi everyone.

This is my first post. I really appreciate all the information that I've been finding on these boards & how open everyone seems to be with what they are going through. Thank you.

I took my first Cymbalta capsule yesterday afternoon around 3:00 pm. It made me sleepy within a couple of hours and last night gave me terrible nausea, which was pretty bad, plus a bad headache (which I still have today). I felt groggy this morning, but this is wearing off. My husband said I seem more at peace with things today and I'm sure much of that is the result of going to my doctor for help, for I no longer feel like I'm carrying this big burden alone (but I am still depressed, and know this will take time and effort on my part).

I have ADD and also take adderall, plus thyroid medication (my what a tangled web we weave).

Debating on whether to take my 2nd dose of Cymbalta today and experience the same symptoms, or hold off and talk to my doctor on Monday.

My biggest fear about this medication is what I have read on these forums about getting off the meds. I have no embarrassment about taking meds, but I hope not to be on them forever (goodness knows if I'll be able to afford them when I retire someday). If getting off the meds are going to leave me worse off than I am now, then I'd prefer to hold out for something else.

1. Do the initial symptoms of starting the meds go away after your body has acclimated, or will they get worse (and will more side effects crop up)?
(I have a huge project coming up at work that will either make or break me, so I cannot afford to be worse off than I am now.)

Hi puzzle and :hearts: to DF and the Cymbalta forum! Cymbalta, like all ADs, effects different people in different ways and to different extents. Your symptoms are typical for many people. Some prefer to take the med in the morning and others at night (mainly based on either the grogginess/sleepiness or nausea problems). Some people (like me) talk to their doctor about taking it with an OTC or prescribed anti-acid to decrease or eliminate the nausea.
If and when you stop taking Cymbalta (or any AD), it's important that you do it under a doctor's supervision because tapering slowly seems to be important for avoiding or decreasing the side effects of stopping. People again, experience a wide range differences in whether or not they have side effects or the severity when stopping. Remember that personal accounts you read are much more likely to be negative than positive. Yes, there are people who stop Cymbalta with no problem (what percentage is impossible to know). Remember, few people who stop and have no side effects will bother to post that. Therefore, you're most likely reading the worst stories so take them with a grain of salt, knowing that it is different for different people.
It's difficult to predict what will happen with your side effects. They may increase a little at first as more of the medication builds up in your body. However, for most people, the side effects will gradually decrease with the build-up and most, if not all, will go away once you receive maximum benefit from the medication.
As for your project at work. If it will be completed within the next few days (next week), you might want to wait and start again when it's done. If it won't be completed for more than a week, and it were me, I'd go ahead now with the meds.
I wish you a very beneficial result from Cymbalta!
Iowa

Hey- I started cymbalta only 7 days ago at 30 mgs and I am experiencing exactly the same side effects as you. I have each and every one of them. I only sweat during the night time, though. I wake up at almost exactly 4 pm every single morning since I've been on it. This is the only side effect that really bothers me much at all. The sweating isn't fun either, but the waking up is really bothering me, expecially after I get so tired in the evening. Do you take your meds in the morning or the evening? I am willing to ride it out, too, especially because I was so incredibly depressed. I feel so good now it's hard to believe. It has also taken all of my fibro pain away. Let me know if your symptoms go away or get worse! Thanks- Andrea

You might try taking it late in the day. Yesterday, I took my first dose at 3:00 pm because my doc appt was late and it took time to fill the prescription. While the meds did make me sleepy, it worked well since I did not go to bed until around 11:00 pm. I slept good all night, which is rare for me. Usually, I have to take Ambien. Just a though if taking it in the AM or evening, right before bed doesn't work for you.

Hi everyone.

Hi puzzle and :flowers: to DF and the Cymbalta forum! Cymbalta, like all ADs, effects different people in different ways and to different extents. Your symptoms are typical for many people. Some prefer to take the med in the morning and others at night (mainly based on either the grogginess/sleepiness or nausea problems). Some people (like me) talk to their doctor about taking it with an OTC or prescribed anti-acid to decrease or eliminate the nausea.
If and when you stop taking Cymbalta (or any AD), it's important that you do it under a doctor's supervision because tapering slowly seems to be important for avoiding or decreasing the side effects of stopping. People again, experience a wide range differences in whether or not they have side effects or the severity when stopping. Remember that personal accounts you read are much more likely to be negative than positive. Yes, there are people who stop Cymbalta with no problem (what percentage is impossible to know). Remember, few people who stop and have no side effects will bother to post that. Therefore, you're most likely reading the worst stories so take them with a grain of salt, knowing that it is different for different people.
It's difficult to predict what will happen with your side effects. They may increase a little at first as more of the medication builds up in your body. However, for most people, the side effects will gradually decrease with the build-up and most, if not all, will go away once you receive maximum benefit from the medication.
As for your project at work. If it will be completed within the next few days (next week), you might want to wait and start again when it's done. If it won't be completed for more than a week, and it were me, I'd go ahead now with the meds.
Iowa

Thank you Iowa, for your note and info. I had not thought about the fact that most of the posts will be negative and that's a great and important point! I took my meds at 3:00 yesterday and at least the nausea did not hit me until around 8:30 or so, which is better than being at work getting hit with it. I thought it would be great to start the meds over the weekend, but the downside to that is that you can't reach the doctor (if an ER I could). My project is going to last months, probably over the next year. Thank you again ...

I am a 40 year old female who recently stopped taking Cymbalta. I was presribed 120mg a day for suspected Fibromyalgia along with depression. I was also taking 200mg Topamax daily. I stopped taking Cymbalta when I noticed the area where my liver is located would cramp within 1 hour of taking a Cymbalta dosage.

I started suffering from extreme weakness and noticed my feet and ankles began swelling some days. My prior liver test levels were AST 14 and ALT 36. One month I had elevated liver levels in ER and again my levels were elevated yesterday AST 73 and AST 120. I will be having a more in depth liver panel in a few day to determine the cause.

I strongly suspect the Cymbalta is a big part of the elevated liver levels since my levels were so low before taking this drug....
If you are taking this medication please make sure you get liver levels tested periodically. I took it for about 8 months. :hearts:

Correction...my ALT level is now 120...

I'm really sorry that you're having so much trouble with the meds. My doctor told me that he would never put me over 90mg of Cymbalta and that if I needed that much he would put me on something else. Good advice on getting liver levels checked. This is probably good advice in general, as many of these meds can interact with liver. Good luck to you.

So an update to my situation in just starting Cymbalta. I had left a voice mail for my doctor about some of the concerns I had about Cymbalta based on a lot of the info I have read on these forums, plus some info I found at a website that also describes medications and user ratings of each medication.

He called me back tonight after he had gone online and done some additional research and he told me to stop taking the Cymbalta (I had only taken 2 doses), which he said should be OK. He said that much of what he's reading on the forums, he thinks are sincere efforts of people trying to help each other and that the feedback seems articulate and well thought out, plus he said that there are a lot of people complaining about the same things - the sheer volume of complaints is enough for him to be concerned. He said that when he began prescribing this medication some time ago he read info through his medical associations and much of this stuff was not listed. Now, he said that the side affects he's reading about, plus the terrible symptoms of withdrawal that he's reading about has him a bit concerned. I guess Lilly gives him samples and he said he plans to call them next week to ask them more questions.

For those of you just now venturing down the Cymbalta path, you might want to talk to your doctors again, just to make sure you are comfortable with the information you are given before you begin.

I haven't posted for a while.I'm 5 months in on Cymbalta.Went up to 60mg after a couple of months and seemed to be fairly stable.Now however i don't seem to be finding any benefits from it at all.Still get night sweats and occasional nausea,but its bearable.The tiredness is back,i just want to sleep constantly.Going to work is a real struggle a lot of the time and i only do 16 hrs a week.Even my kids have started moaning that i'm always in bed.Have been ill for a couple of weeks with flu and its really knocked me off my feet.
I've had a med review and mentioned the possibility of combining with wellbutrin to help with libido and have drawn a blank.Is this combo a USA thing? A locum dr i spoke to had never even heard of its possible uses.
I've been like this for 20 odd years,tried different AD's and had counselling and a clinical pyscologist(sp?)
I'm sick of it.

Mint, I'm sorry that you're struggling so much! It does sound like you need a med adjustment -- dosage, adding another med or change in med. I'm in the U.S. and honestly don't know if its common to add Wellbutrin to Cymbalta. I take Buspirone with mine.
Iowa

Hello,
My name is Debbie, and I am really having such a horrible time. I had been taking Cymbalta, for
depression, and anxiety only to have it make me have symptoms like the deepest darkest depression
in the world, also worse anxiety.

When I had my dose cut in half, and started having all the horrible sideeffects, withdrawls I thought I was
never ever going to make it. It is so awful the sweating, nightmares, not sleeping, mental anguish that you
have to go through, and then with each small decrease you start all over again.

I just want my life back, the one I had before antidepressants, as I just have never been the same.

Help!

Debbie

Hello,
My name is Debbie, and I am really having such a horrible time. I had been taking Cymbalta, for
depression, and anxiety only to have it make me have symptoms like the deepest darkest depression

When I had my dose cut in half, and started having all the horrible sideeffects, withdrawls I thought I was
never ever going to make it. It is so awful the sweating, nightmares, not sleeping, mental anguish that you

I just want my life back, the one I had before antidepressants, as I just have never been the same.

Help!

Debbie

Hi Debbie :hearts:

I'm so sorry you have found the Cymbalta so horrible. Unfortunately some meds just really disagree with certain people. Were you ok on the higher dose? Why did you decide to cut it in half?
I found starting up and coming off my AD very difficult so I understand how horrible the withdrawal process can be. It does get better though so just hang in there and know that there is something causing this, and it's not just you.
Could you speak to your doctor and ask if there's anything they can give you to help you through the withdrawal process?

PRT xx

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#3 searching4one

searching4one

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hi,

I am currently taking Cymbalta, and I have been for weeks now. My symptoms have gotten worse as I have been on it. They include: fatigue, night sweats, terrible constipation, lethargy, etc. My doctor switched me from Lexapro to Cymbalta because Lexapro was making me very tired as well. I am usually very active and athletic, but I find myself not wanting to do much of anything on the Lexapro or Cymbalta. A couple of years ago, I tried Wellbutrin for PTS. This worked great; however, I had tinnitus, blurred vision, and insomnia when my dosage was increased. All three of these medicines have "cured" by depression, but I am not quite myself. I have found myself to be very sensitive to any medication over my lifetime. I always seem to endure the side effects. Does anyone know of a depression medicine or combination that will boost my energy and get rid of depression? Should I try a low does of Wellbutrin again?

Thank you for your input and help.

#4 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:32 AM

Hi,

I am currently taking Cymbalta, and I have been for weeks now. My symptoms have gotten worse as I have been on it. They include: fatigue, night sweats, terrible constipation, lethargy, etc. My doctor switched me from Lexapro to Cymbalta because Lexapro was making me very tired as well. I am usually very active and athletic, but I find myself not wanting to do much of anything on the Lexapro or Cymbalta. A couple of years ago, I tried Wellbutrin for PTS. This worked great; however, I had tinnitus, blurred vision, and insomnia when my dosage was increased. All three of these medicines have "cured" by depression, but I am not quite myself. I have found myself to be very sensitive to any medication over my lifetime. I always seem to endure the side effects. Does anyone know of a depression medicine or combination that will boost my energy and get rid of depression? Should I try a low does of Wellbutrin again?

Thank you for your input and help.

Hi and Welcome Searching4one

Each person is different on various meds. Sometimes it is a case of continually working together with your doc to get the right med for you.
I hope that you can find the right one soon. If you did well on Wellbutrin, perhaps its worth a try, but please discuss this with your doc.
Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#5 neely8

neely8

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

Welcome to the Cymbalta - Cymbalta ® (duloxetine HCl) forum! Please feel free to post a bit about yourself so we can get acquainted.

Read around the room as there is a wealth of information on Cymbalta even on the back pages and you may also add a reply to any topic that fits what is on your mind!
If you don't find what you are looking for, go ahead and post here in this welcome thread or feel free to start your own Topic..

Looking forward to getting to know you! :shocked:

:wwww:

I have been on cymbalta 60 mg for six years for depression and anxiety. It does make me very tired during the day. I also take wellbutin 300 mg extended-release. This was supposed to help "wake me up." But it hasn't. I have finally had enough and am seeing my doctor next week. i want off cymbalta. my therapist suggested provigro to help me as a stiumlant. has anyone tried this?

#6 jacquelineanne

jacquelineanne

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

Hello all. :wwww:

I started taking Cymbalta a few months ago. 90mg. (I think it was back in October or November.) I had been to my GP for my anxiety and annoying/disturbing heart palpitations that I was continuing to have. Common sense led us to believe that the palpitations were caused by my anxiety. (I had an echo-cardigoram done and was diagnosed with MINIMAL mitral-valve prolapse.) I agreed and with a new school year starting decided that I was in desperate need of something that would calm me down and help with my nerves.

My doctor started treating me with Lexapro. I had negative side effects immediately and went straight back. Since Lexapro was obviously making me, sick we decided to switch. Secondly we tried Zoloft. It worked for awhile and I was determined I was feeling better. Less anxious. The school year started and I returned with no problems. After about 2 months of being on Zoloft, I started not feeling like myself. I felt tired, groggy, and so depressed/apathetic I couldn't/didn't want to get out of bed. It go so bad that I had missed almost 3 months of school and had to make up my credits through alternative school. My anxiety plus the way I was feeling made it nearly impossible to walk back into school and face everyone. Seeing that this was of no success either, my doctor switched me again, this time to Prozac. It helped some, but didn't make me feel any better/different. I continued missing school until semester, when I graduated. Feeling like the worst was over, I thought things would start looking up. They didn't. I felt no change on Prozac. So we switched. Again.

The final switch was to this- Cymbalta. My life at the time was good. I was finished with school, starting to feel better, and I had a boyfriend in my life at the time. The Cymbalta was working and I was starting to feel great. I wasn't anxious or nervous and me and my boyfriend and his friends would hang out and just have a good time. (Something I would have never considered before with my anxiety.) This was it- Cymbalta was my wonder drug. Also at the time I was seeing a therapist for med management and she had prescribed me Ativan to take as needed. It came in handy if I was going to my boyfriends house, or if I knew I was going to be in a busy social situation or become anxious. It helped me relax but it didn't 'zombie' me out. I liked it.

After being on Cymbalta for a month or two I had already lost weight. (About 5lbs at the time.) I didn't think much of it and just thought it was a change in my diet since I hadn't been attending school and eating 3 meals a day. Soon enough I lost my appetite completely. Nothing sounded good. I had no desire to eat. I had no desire to do anything. I had no sex drive but continued to have sex with my boyfriend to not turn things into a bigger problem. (But I got aroused once things got going.) I was nothing. I felt like a vegetable. Some days I wouldn't even get out of bed. I cared about nothing. I never talked. I stopped wearing makeup and taking care of myself and my appearance. Cymbalta had increased whatever depression may have been in me even more. Eventually my boyfriend and I broke up. I had never been so depressed in my life, and the Cymbalta didn't help at all. I had lost 20lbs in about 2 months. I went to the doctor (again) to discuss what had been going on and told her there was no way I could continue this medication if I was going to continue to drop weight. (I'm down to 102. I used to be 125.) I was drugged. I felt fogged and apathetic. With the recent blow up with my boyfriend I had suicidal thoughts running through my head every few hours. I would wake up thinking about suicide and continue thinking about it for hours on end. I was not well and I realized I needed some kind of relief. Once I had my emotions in check from the breakup, I knew it was time to take care of myself.

I went to my doctor about a week ago to discuss coming off Cymbalta. She agreed that loosing weight and being apathetic wasn't going to work, either. She weened me off from 90mg, to 60mg for 3 days, then 30mg for another 3 days. The drop from 90 to 60 was horrible. I was shaky, sweaty, and had diarrhea. I felt terrible. I took an Ativan to try and relive some of the discomfort, layed down, and successfully fell asleep, woke up and felt better again. The drop from 60 to 30 wasn't as bad, but I did have some discomfort/upset in my stomach, but nothing I couldn't tolerate. Now I have dropped from 30 to 0. My brain zaps are increasing, and I have had terrible headaches. I also started crying tonight for basically no reason. I was talking to my ex (not about anything bad..) and that alone made me cry. I've also noticed I'm growing more irritable. I can still manage, but I'm afraid the brain zaps/withdraw symptoms are only going to get worse as the days of being cold turkey go on. I've also had night sweats, and very, very vivid dreams. I wake up feeling confused, lost and I have to ask myself if I was dreaming or not. I've had vertigo, confusion. At times I've felt so goofy and out of it, it feels as if I'm high off illegal drug. But those episodes only last a few seconds. I'm just really up and down.

I DO NOT recommend this drug to anyone. I don't recommend any SSRI's to anyone. This is the worst I have ever felt long term and I was starting to forget who I even was. I was not myself. I'm sick of feeling like a walking syringe and I just want to be my natural, healthy self. I'm done altering my body and mind. I'm done poisoning myself.

I've been drinking TONS of water. (About half a gallon a day) I've also been drinking green tea/taking a green tea supplement. I have also been taking Omega-3 supplements. I've cut out sugars, and besides the green tea, i've cut out all caffeine. I used to smoke socially but have decided this is a gross habit and is probably not helping me at all, either. I've stopped that as well.

-Is there ANYTHING else I can do to help prevent/make the withdraw more easier to deal with?

-I'm thinking about going on a 5 day detox to help flush the Cymbalta/toxins from my body. Has anyone done this? Do you think this would be effective/help the withdraw symptoms? (Regardless I will do this anyway. My body needs it. Bad.)

-If you have successfully withdrawn, how long did it take and when did your symptoms finally subside?

I am also a vegetarian (Have been for 3 years) and had my blood work done recently due to my weight loss and I was anemic and lacking vitamin B-12. All of that on top of Cymbalta has made me the sickest I have ever been. I'd rather be nervous and alert than zombied out and feel nothing. I miss my feelings. I don't know who I was/who I am.

Input is appreciated. Thanks for reading, and listening. It means a lot to me.

:shocked:, Jacque.

#7 cmac

cmac

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

I have been taking 90 mg of Cymbalta for a little over a month now and have found that it gives me more energy and hleps me with my depression. However, I am diabetic and have found that the last few weeks my bloodsugar levels have increased dramatically. Now I want t o get off, but i am fearful of the withdrawl symptoms that may occur. I had a terrible time goming off Paxil. I am terrified. Will I go into a major depression and become suicidal agian, trying to come off???

I have social phobia and depression. I never really thought of myself as having depression. I just thought i didn't give a s*** about anything.
I had tried 3 or 4antidepressants in the past and gave up on them but recently i thought I would give them another shot and the doc gave me cymbalta. Its been 5 weeks and 1 day exactly today and i was starting to lose hope. Now today i woke up and i noticed that i was feeling pretty dam good! I feel very content and not so overwhelmed by everything. I went down to the shops before so i could test it out on anxiety. It didnt really have much of an effect as i was still anxious. But i noticed after woods that it didn't really bother me as i would usually think about it afterwords...(you know do the hole re-run things through my head and stuff). So im hoping it gets better but i can see that im going to have to work on the anxiety to get improvement and get over this crap.
Basicly im sasying to everyone dont give up on antidepressants. I know there is a lot of stuff on the net saying they dont work and there placebos and its unfortunate because it could turn people off trying them. It took me four shots to find one that works and it took whole 5 weeks before i notices anything at all. I know its frustrating but just hang in there and dont give up!
Good luck everyone

Hi everyone.

Hi everyone.

Hi puzzle and :shocked: to DF and the Cymbalta forum! Cymbalta, like all ADs, effects different people in different ways and to different extents. Your symptoms are typical for many people. Some prefer to take the med in the morning and others at night (mainly based on either the grogginess/sleepiness or nausea problems). Some people (like me) talk to their doctor about taking it with an OTC or prescribed anti-acid to decrease or eliminate the nausea.
Iowa

Hey- I started cymbalta only 7 days ago at 30 mgs and I am experiencing exactly the same side effects as you. I have each and every one of them. I only sweat during the night time, though. I wake up at almost exactly 4 pm every single morning since I've been on it. This is the only side effect that really bothers me much at all. The sweating isn't fun either, but the waking up is really bothering me, expecially after I get so tired in the evening. Do you take your meds in the morning or the evening? I am willing to ride it out, too, especially because I was so incredibly depressed. I feel so good now it's hard to believe. It has also taken all of my fibro pain away. Let me know if your symptoms go away or get worse! Thanks- Andrea

You might try taking it late in the day. Yesterday, I took my first dose at 3:00 pm because my doc appt was late and it took time to fill the prescription. While the meds did make me sleepy, it worked well since I did not go to bed until around 11:00 pm. I slept good all night, which is rare for me. Usually, I have to take Ambien. Just a though if taking it in the AM or evening, right before bed doesn't work for you.

Hi everyone.

Hi puzzle and :wwww: to DF and the Cymbalta forum! Cymbalta, like all ADs, effects different people in different ways and to different extents. Your symptoms are typical for many people. Some prefer to take the med in the morning and others at night (mainly based on either the grogginess/sleepiness or nausea problems). Some people (like me) talk to their doctor about taking it with an OTC or prescribed anti-acid to decrease or eliminate the nausea.
Iowa

Thank you Iowa, for your note and info. I had not thought about the fact that most of the posts will be negative and that's a great and important point! I took my meds at 3:00 yesterday and at least the nausea did not hit me until around 8:30 or so, which is better than being at work getting hit with it. I thought it would be great to start the meds over the weekend, but the downside to that is that you can't reach the doctor (if an ER I could). My project is going to last months, probably over the next year. Thank you again ...

I am a 40 year old female who recently stopped taking Cymbalta. I was presribed 120mg a day for suspected Fibromyalgia along with depression. I was also taking 200mg Topamax daily. I stopped taking Cymbalta when I noticed the area where my liver is located would cramp within 1 hour of taking a Cymbalta dosage.

I started suffering from extreme weakness and noticed my feet and ankles began swelling some days. My prior liver test levels were AST 14 and ALT 36. One month I had elevated liver levels in ER and again my levels were elevated yesterday AST 73 and AST 120. I will be having a more in depth liver panel in a few day to determine the cause.

I strongly suspect the Cymbalta is a big part of the elevated liver levels since my levels were so low before taking this drug....
If you are taking this medication please make sure you get liver levels tested periodically. I took it for about 8 months. :huh:

I'm really sorry that you're having so much trouble with the meds. My doctor told me that he would never put me over 90mg of Cymbalta and that if I needed that much he would put me on something else. Good advice on getting liver levels checked. This is probably good advice in general, as many of these meds can interact with liver. Good luck to you.

So an update to my situation in just starting Cymbalta. I had left a voice mail for my doctor about some of the concerns I had about Cymbalta based on a lot of the info I have read on these forums, plus some info I found at a website that also describes medications and user ratings of each medication.

He called me back tonight after he had gone online and done some additional research and he told me to stop taking the Cymbalta (I had only taken 2 doses), which he said should be OK. He said that much of what he's reading on the forums, he thinks are sincere efforts of people trying to help each other and that the feedback seems articulate and well thought out, plus he said that there are a lot of people complaining about the same things - the sheer volume of complaints is enough for him to be concerned. He said that when he began prescribing this medication some time ago he read info through his medical associations and much of this stuff was not listed. Now, he said that the side affects he's reading about, plus the terrible symptoms of withdrawal that he's reading about has him a bit concerned. I guess Lilly gives him samples and he said he plans to call them next week to ask them more questions.

For those of you just now venturing down the Cymbalta path, you might want to talk to your doctors again, just to make sure you are comfortable with the information you are given before you begin.

I haven't posted for a while.I'm 5 months in on Cymbalta.Went up to 60mg after a couple of months and seemed to be fairly stable.Now however i don't seem to be finding any benefits from it at all.Still get night sweats and occasional nausea,but its bearable.The tiredness is back,i just want to sleep constantly.Going to work is a real struggle a lot of the time and i only do 16 hrs a week.Even my kids have started moaning that i'm always in bed.Have been ill for a couple of weeks with flu and its really knocked me off my feet.
I've had a med review and mentioned the possibility of combining with wellbutrin to help with libido and have drawn a blank.Is this combo a USA thing? A locum dr i spoke to had never even heard of its possible uses.
I've been like this for 20 odd years,tried different AD's and had counselling and a clinical pyscologist(sp?)
I'm sick of it.

Mint, I'm sorry that you're struggling so much! It does sound like you need a med adjustment -- dosage, adding another med or change in med. I'm in the U.S. and honestly don't know if its common to add Wellbutrin to Cymbalta. I take Buspirone with mine.
Iowa

Hello,

Help!

Debbie

Hello,

Help!

Debbie

Hi Debbie :sneaky2:

I'm so sorry you have found the Cymbalta so horrible. Unfortunately some meds just really disagree with certain people. Were you ok on the higher dose? Why did you decide to cut it in half?
I found starting up and coming off my AD very difficult so I understand how horrible the withdrawal process can be. It does get better though so just hang in there and know that there is something causing this, and it's not just you.
Could you speak to your doctor and ask if there's anything they can give you to help you through the withdrawal process?

PRT xx

#8 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:51 AM

I have been taking 90 mg of Cymbalta for a little over a month now and have found that it gives me more energy and hleps me with my depression. However, I am diabetic and have found that the last few weeks my bloodsugar levels have increased dramatically. Now I want t o get off, but i am fearful of the withdrawl symptoms that may occur. I had a terrible time goming off Paxil. I am terrified. Will I go into a major depression and become suicidal agian, trying to come off???

Good luck everyone

Hi everyone.

Hi everyone.

Hi puzzle and :shocked: to DF and the Cymbalta forum! Cymbalta, like all ADs, effects different people in different ways and to different extents. Your symptoms are typical for many people. Some prefer to take the med in the morning and others at night (mainly based on either the grogginess/sleepiness or nausea problems). Some people (like me) talk to their doctor about taking it with an OTC or prescribed anti-acid to decrease or eliminate the nausea.
Iowa

Hi everyone.

Hi puzzle and :wwww: to DF and the Cymbalta forum! Cymbalta, like all ADs, effects different people in different ways and to different extents. Your symptoms are typical for many people. Some prefer to take the med in the morning and others at night (mainly based on either the grogginess/sleepiness or nausea problems). Some people (like me) talk to their doctor about taking it with an OTC or prescribed anti-acid to decrease or eliminate the nausea.
Iowa

If you are taking this medication please make sure you get liver levels tested periodically. I took it for about 8 months. :huh:

I'm sick of it.

Iowa

Hello,

Help!

Debbie

Hello,

Help!

Debbie

Hi Debbie :sneaky2:

PRT xx

Hi and Welcome to DF Cmac

I'm sorry that you have to come off the Cymblata.
There may be side effects. It would be best if you discuss this with your doc, because there could be a way for you to wean off under the doc's supervision, which may make it easier for you.
Also have a look through the forum, you may find some useful information.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

Posted Image

#9 Oregonfalls

Oregonfalls

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:07 AM

I just recently started this medication 30 mg one week then onto 60....didn;t really notice the dry mouth till I read more up on it but the sleep thing has been hard. Can I take my ambeian CR along with cymbolta ??

.I just can't sleep at night with this stuff. I went to my doc with a lot of complaints lol mood swings being the biggest one. Anger to be exact and I trust my doc so I will take as long as I need to in hopes that it helps. My husband is a dentist so not really a doctor per say but he said he's noticed a big difference:smilingteeth:.

#10 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

Hi Oregonfalls:

Typically, the insomnia type side effects go away with Cymbalta after a few weeks (though it may go through the first week or two of your increase to 60 mg).

If there is a problem with taking Cymbalta with Ambien, it is not widely publicized. Your Cymbalta should come with a information sheet that would highlight drug interactions you should be aware of..

A call in to your doctor should give you the exact info you seek.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#11 Louiej53

Louiej53

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

Hello i am trying to find out if their are alternative drugs to cymbalta i have diabetic neuropathy and my wife lost her job and we can't get cymbalta or lyrica anymore due to price

#12 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:34 AM

Hi and Welcome to DF Louiej53

I am sorry that your wife lost her job and that you can not afford Cymbalta anymore. There are so many different meds and some have generics, which are much cheaper. Have a look through the various medication rooms, there is a lot of information on the various meds.

Trace

Posted Image

#13 kam123

kam123

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

All,

This is my second week on Cymbalta. After struggling for over five years taking following medications (each tried for 4-8 weeks full dose without any benefit), being fed up with depression, my doctor asked me to try Cymbalta.

My past drugs

1. Paxil, 40 mg

2. Remeron

3. Seroquel

4. Effexor XR

5. Wellbutrin XL 300 mg Oral Tablet Sustained Release 24 hr

6. Paroxetine HCl 20 mg Oral Tablet

7. Lorazepam 1 mg Oral Tablet

8. Requip 0.25 mg Oral Tablet

I started on 30mg first week and upped the dose to 60mg next week. I have found some relief, which I never found even after several months of full doses of above drugs. I used to have very foggy brain and feel depressed & heavy brain all the time. Now, I feel some relief in just few days, but also feel something is going on in my brain – feel like little headache/pain once in a while. But, I am glad after struggling over six years have found some hope in Cymbalta. I have many health issues (Scleroderma, diabetes, and high BP), so I am very careful.

#14 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

Hello Kam123,

I'm glad that you didn't give up on the meds and happy to see that you are finally getting some relief from Cymbalta. There will be some side effects but they will subside. Thanks for sharing the good news.

Lindahurt

Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#15 kam123

kam123

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

Hello,

This is my third week and just boosted dose from 60mg to 90mg over weekend. I believe it is helping depression; however, I have two side effects severe lower body pain and difficulty sleeping. I like to walk and I have to cut down from 15/20 miles/week to around 5 miles/week. I take Aleve for pain, but it does not help much.

How long it takes the side effects to go away.

Are there better pain medications?

Thanks

#16 ickletreebee

ickletreebee

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hi,

I'm new here i'm 22 and female and am just looking for a little support and guidance.Every body that i know (it appears) is very against AD's and me being on them etc and so I find dealing with depression and M.E. very difficult. I've been on various different AD's and come of them for various reasons but I've decided that i need to do what's best for me. As a result I've been put on 60mg of Cymbalta and have currently taken 2 doses. Is it normal for the side effects to be so intense so suddenly? I feel really nauseas and last night mananged to sleep from 12 - 2:30 but i've been awake ever since and I'm buzzing in a bad way. I'm restless and anxious and keep feeling waves of nausea and shakes coming over me. Although i've had bad side effects with AD's before they usually mount up to being intense and I'm a little scared that this is going to get worse.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thank you

Ickletreebee.

#17 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

Meds effect us differently but most side effects do subside over time. You might want to contact your doctor and discuss taking a sleep aid with him. There are over the counter sleep aids that can help with the insomia like benadryl. Discuss it with your doctor or the pharmacist.

Lindahurt

Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#18 Guest_lucyvp_*

Guest_lucyvp_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

I'm new here i'm 22 and female and am just looking for a little support and guidance.Every body that i know (it appears) is very against AD's and me being on them etc and so I find dealing with depression and M.E. very difficult. I've been on various different AD's and come of them for various reasons but I've decided that i need to do what's best for me. As a result I've been put on 60mg of Cymbalta and have currently taken 2 doses. Is it normal for the side effects to be so intense so suddenly? I feel really nauseas and last night mananged to sleep from 12 - 2:30 but i've been awake ever since and I'm buzzing in a bad way. I'm restless and anxious and keep feeling waves of nausea and shakes coming over me. Although i've had bad side effects with AD's before they usually mount up to being intense and I'm a little scared that this is going to get worse.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thank you

Ickletreebee.

Anxiety and insomnia are common start-up effects for cymbalta. I was already on a sleep aid when i started cymbalta, and so that was helpful, but also, during start-up, i found that i had to take an anti-anxiety medication in the early evening (I take my dose at night). The anxiety did settle and I no longer have to take the anti-anxiety medication. In terms of the insomnnia, also, some find it helpful to take their dose in the morning....

Keep us posted on how you are doing,

Warm regards,
lucyvp

#19 ickletreebee

ickletreebee

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:48 AM

Hi thanks for the replies. I've been diagnoised with having an anxiety disorder so the AD's are possibly exaggerating that. I'm just still struggling with how I feel about being back on pills. My parents, family and most of my friends were really against me going on them and tell me that I don't need them and so I went on and off various different ones for about a year. I feel positive that I've made a decision to be back on them I'm just not sure about my ability to remain focused when I'm constantly being given negative views on them. I just feel kinda lost at the moment. Sorry if this isn't making any sense.

Ickle

#20 Guest_lucyvp_*

Guest_lucyvp_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

finding the right pill is like finding the right partner; sometimes you have to "date" a few before you find the right one. Once you find the right one, though, it is worth it. I, myself, was stabilized for 15 years on the right AD. Hang in there.

lucyvp

#21 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

I affirm Lucyvp's observation directly above. It does take trial and error. But when the meds work, they are truly helpful. And worth the sometimes difficult efforts to find the right med, right dosage and make it past the start up side effects.

tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#22 ickletreebee

ickletreebee

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

I'm hoping these ones work I feel terrible at the moment though. I don't understand why the side effects cause more anxiety when the Doctor said that as well as helping with my depression they will help with my anxiety disorder. Its only been 5 days so I know I still have to try and stick with them its just hard. Especially when my family are against it and so is my boyfriend (who i live with) They are all telling me to stop taking them as in their eyes they are making me worse. I just feel so isolated at the moment.

Ickle

#23 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

I'm hoping these ones work I feel terrible at the moment though. I don't understand why the side effects cause more anxiety when the Doctor said that as well as helping with my depression they will help with my anxiety disorder. Its only been 5 days so I know I still have to try and stick with them its just hard. Especially when my family are against it and so is my boyfriend (who i live with) They are all telling me to stop taking them as in their eyes they are making me worse. I just feel so isolated at the moment.

Ickle

ickle:

So sorry that you feel terrible at the moment. It is so hard to start a new med and wait for it to work well. Five days is very early with Cymbalta. And yes, unfortunately it does take awhile to work. Sometimes 6-8 weeks. And yes, anxiety is a common start up side effect.

What dose are you on?

Please feel like you can call your doctor. Sometimes doctors and nurses have some good coaching advice about getting through the early days on a medicine. Or they will prescribe a short term additional medicine to help you with the anxiety side effect.

Wishing you the best,

Tim

#24 ickletreebee

ickletreebee

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

Hi Tim,

I'm on 60mg a day at the moment not sure what the doctors plans are on whether he will up the dose. I'm not due to see him for just under a month. My main worry is that its going to get worse as previous AD's that I've taken, the side effects have steadily increased this seems to have hit me all at once. My anxiety disorder in general prevents me from calling the Doctor because I have ME I've had a lot of trouble with Doctors and it takes me days of talking to myself so to speak, in order to be able to talk to them. Sorry if I'm not making much sense and thank you for your time.

Ickle.

#25 Viv1

Viv1

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

Hi
I am a newbie here -there seems to be so much info that I don't know where to start. I hope you can help put me in touch with the right group. I am trying withdrawal from cymbalta and smoking. I have gone cold turkey on both for the last 10 days and am have some side effects. Can you help with some advice on which forum to help me with this please?
Thank you so much for your hard work and time
regards
Viv

#26 joeysimmsson

joeysimmsson

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

Welcome Viv. Good luck quitting smoking!!!

Day two of Cymbalta for me.

Day one: picked it up and took 30 mg after breakfast, felt OK although decreased appetite (? that was already a problem but it likely worsened). Last night, I "never" got to sleep.
Day two: I finally zonked out from 6:30 am - 9 am. Got up, took 30 mg on an empty stomach. Got a biscuit on my way to work, ate most of it around 10:30. About an hour later the nausea hit hard, and I lost my breakfast soon after.

I've still got an acid stomach... not an auspicious start for this med. Perhaps I was wrong to let the fear of liver issues scare me off nefazodone... the incidence is really low.

#27 LL 18

LL 18

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:12 AM

Hi I'm on cymbalta for bout 5 years and I have made a number of attempts to come off them slowly with bad side effects nothing I could ever imagine.. No im being switched on to valdaxon and told to stop cymbalta straight away.. Has anyone else done something similar and has there been big side effects

#28 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:14 AM

Hi and Welcome joeysimmsson and LL 18

Take a look through the room and feel free to start your own topic as well.

Trace

Posted Image

#29 joeysimmsson

joeysimmsson

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hi all, I wanted to update... after three days of almost no sleep and repeated vomiting, I decided that Cymbalta wasn't for me. So, as wary as I am of it, I decided to go with my doc's first choice, nefazodone. So far, absolutely no side effects. I've got a liver test scheduled for Friday.

#30 LindaT

LindaT

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

I have been on Cymbalta for about 6 months. My doctor put me on it because I have MS and anytime I knew I was going to be leaving my house my symptoms would get much worse. My symptoms relate mainly to the coordination and function of my legs (I have a great deal of trouble walking). MS symptoms can be exacerbated by stress, and I had developed anxiety about leaving my house. I was also really depressed, because my symptoms just kept getting worse. The Cymbalta took a little time to work, but it has dramatically helped me with both my anxiety and depression. Now when I go to the doctor, people always comment on what a good attitude I have about my illness. It is 100% because I take Cymbalta.

I realize that the withdrawal could be significant if I ever stop taking it, but it has made such a difference in my outlook that I don't know that I will ever stop taking it.

#31 Xande

Xande

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

I have been on Cymbalta for about 6 months. My doctor put me on it because I have MS and anytime I knew I was going to be leaving my house my symptoms would get much worse. My symptoms relate mainly to the coordination and function of my legs (I have a great deal of trouble walking). MS symptoms can be exacerbated by stress, and I had developed anxiety about leaving my house. I was also really depressed, because my symptoms just kept getting worse. The Cymbalta took a little time to work, but it has dramatically helped me with both my anxiety and depression. Now when I go to the doctor, people always comment on what a good attitude I have about my illness. It is 100% because I take Cymbalta.

I realize that the withdrawal could be significant if I ever stop taking it, but it has made such a difference in my outlook that I don't know that I will ever stop taking it.

That's good to hear! I might try an SNRI someday, but scared to switch meds, so just going to try out therapy (for third time) for now.

#32 rayofsunshine65

rayofsunshine65

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

I've been on Cymbalta 3 weeks and my depression is gone. Before this I was on Zoloft 16 years and did fine until I had a major depressive episode earlier this year. Doc slowly switched me from Zoloft to Cymbalta and I am feeling amazingly well.

#33 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:22 AM

I've been on Cymbalta 3 weeks and my depression is gone. Before this I was on Zoloft 16 years and did fine until I had a major depressive episode earlier this year. Doc slowly switched me from Zoloft to Cymbalta and I am feeling amazingly well.

Welcome rayofsunshine65

That is awesome!

Trace

Posted Image

#34 garvisk

garvisk

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hi folks

Just getting started on 30 on the way to 60. Was on Wellbutrin 150 but the last half year or so has seen me get increasingly agitated and with more anxiety than I have ever experienced before.

Not looking forward to trying to get over the hump of being tired all the time until I adjust - right now I'm yawning waaay to much and feeling gauzy in the head and can't find the motivation to exercise.

#35 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:50 AM

Hi folks

Just getting started on 30 on the way to 60. Was on Wellbutrin 150 but the last half year or so has seen me get increasingly agitated and with more anxiety than I have ever experienced before.

Not looking forward to trying to get over the hump of being tired all the time until I adjust - right now I'm yawning waaay to much and feeling gauzy in the head and can't find the motivation to exercise.

Hi and Welcome garvisk

I hope that the tiredness with starting up does not last too long for you. Good luck and I hope the meds work well for you.

Trace

Posted Image

#36 ok-noggen

ok-noggen

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have been on Cymbalta for 3 1/2 years. I think I started out at 90mg, although I'm not certain about that. While things were never super fantastic on the Cymbalta, there was some relief from my depression and anxiety. It wasn't too long before my dose went up to 120mg. For months following the increase, I had little motivation and slept A LOT - 3 hour 'naps' in the middle of the day. My dose went back down to 90mg again after that, but because things weren't going well my doctor put me back up to 120mg again. Because Cymbalta has robbed my memory and stunted my thinking, I can't remember exactly when it was that my doctor felt the need to supplement the Cymbalta with Abilify; it was around this time last year. Spiraling into the darkest depression I've ever endured, my doctor discontinued the Abilify. I remained on the same dose of Cymbalta, and the depression just got deeper and deeper and suicidal ideation consumed me daily. Even a trip to a warm, sunny clime at the end of December did nothing to help; instead, I fantasized about suicide. Upon returning home, I started on lamotrigine and took time off work. While my mood started to improve, I started self-medicating. Up went the lamotrigine dose to the 300mg I'm still on today. My mood has been actually pretty D*** good since that last dose increase, and in early July (2011), my doctor and I decided to drop the Cymbalta to 90mg. After 3 days of withdrawal symptoms, I went back up to the 120mg. Since then, however, I have been dealing with DAILY withdrawal symptoms between doses (which are split into am & pm). These symptoms have become increasingly worse and are messing with my life. My new psychiatrist and I have tried spreading the dose out even more over the day (eg 60-30-30), but effects got even worse.
I have resolved to get off this drug. I'm already at the max dose, and as if all the zaps and dizziness aren't enough, I have ZERO interest or pleasure with sex. Terrified by what I've already experienced in just dropping the dose combined with all the Internet horror stories, I've discussed with my psychiatrist about getting off Cymbalta for good. I know I can't manage this on my own - I'm very concerned I could hurt myself badly - so I'm being checked into the hospital in a couple of weeks for my 'detox.'

Edited by lindahurt, 30 October 2011 - 10:58 PM.
Per Terms of Service

#37 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

I have been on Cymbalta for 3 1/2 years. I think I started out at 90mg, although I'm not certain about that. While things were never super fantastic on the Cymbalta, there was some relief from my depression and anxiety. It wasn't too long before my dose went up to 120mg. For months following the increase, I had little motivation and slept A LOT - 3 hour 'naps' in the middle of the day. My dose went back down to 90mg again after that, but because things weren't going well my doctor put me back up to 120mg again. Because Cymbalta has robbed my memory and stunted my thinking, I can't remember exactly when it was that my doctor felt the need to supplement the Cymbalta with Abilify; it was around this time last year. Spiraling into the darkest depression I've ever endured, my doctor discontinued the Abilify. I remained on the same dose of Cymbalta, and the depression just got deeper and deeper and suicidal ideation consumed me daily. Even a trip to a warm, sunny clime at the end of December did nothing to help; instead, I fantasized about suicide. Upon returning home, I started on lamotrigine and took time off work. While my mood started to improve, I started self-medicating. Up went the lamotrigine dose to the 300mg I'm still on today. My mood has been actually pretty D*** good since that last dose increase, and in early July (2011), my doctor and I decided to drop the Cymbalta to 90mg. After 3 days of withdrawal symptoms, I went back up to the 120mg. Since then, however, I have been dealing with DAILY withdrawal symptoms between doses (which are split into am & pm). These symptoms have become increasingly worse and are messing with my life. My new psychiatrist and I have tried spreading the dose out even more over the day (eg 60-30-30), but effects got even worse.
I have resolved to get off this drug. I'm already at the max dose, and as if all the zaps and dizziness aren't enough, I have ZERO interest or pleasure with sex. Terrified by what I've already experienced in just dropping the dose combined with all the Internet horror stories, I've discussed with my psychiatrist about getting off Cymbalta for good. I know I can't manage this on my own - I'm very concerned I could hurt myself badly - so I'm being checked into the hospital in a couple of weeks for my 'detox.'

Wow ok-noggen,

You've been experiencing some awful side effects from the medication changes. I truly hope your "detox" goes well and that you can find a medication that helps you with your anxiety.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 BCFan75

BCFan75

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:55 AM

I have just started taking Cymbalta this week. I'm starting at 30 mg for a week then up to 60. I have over then year been on Lexapro,Celexa and Effexor with some help, but they seemed to stop working for me. My Doc add 150 Welbutrin to help as well and I am going to stay on that with the cymbalta. I am hoping that this change in med will help me out. I wish everyone the best of luck with whatever they are dealing with.
Be strong, things will get better.

#39 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

I have just started taking Cymbalta this week. I'm starting at 30 mg for a week then up to 60. I have over then year been on Lexapro,Celexa and Effexor with some help, but they seemed to stop working for me. My Doc add 150 Welbutrin to help as well and I am going to stay on that with the cymbalta. I am hoping that this change in med will help me out. I wish everyone the best of luck with whatever they are dealing with.

Hi BCFan75,

I wish you luck on starting Cymbalta. I had to take it pretty slowly when starting. I stayed on 30 mg. for about a month before I had one of two dosage increases. I'm very happy with it, and have been on 90 mg. for about four years. Let us know how it goes and thanks for posting.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Edited by MaddieLouise, 06 November 2011 - 01:28 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#40 NewGal on the block

NewGal on the block

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hi,

I just started Cymbalta. I have noticed an improvement in my overall mood as well as a relief in shoulder and neck pain. I have a decreased appetite. I am experiencing severe diarrhea. I hope that this is just a side effect that goes away soon. Any responses would be helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users