Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Recurrent Brief Depression

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dudley

dudley

ID: 36687

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

Hello,

It seems that I fit a Recurrent Brief Depression diagnosis pretty well. I have a depression for 2-3 days, then it goes away, I feel pretty normal for a week or two and back to depression. I already tried several medications (Zoloft, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin) but it did not seem to help me.

What is considered a successful treatment for this kind of depression disorder ?

Thank you,
Dudley

#2 SecretMist

SecretMist

ID: 24142

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hi dudley and welcome to DF,

I suppose I would ask if you are seeing your gp or a pdoc as pdoc has a bit more experience in finding the right medications for you. when tying to find the right meds it is like a trial and error type thing, everybody reacts differently to different meds. Is there anything that may trigger your depression episodes, like changes in your life styles or being alone at times? Therapy may also benefit you as to finding out why you are feeling this way on a back to back basis. As we are not professionals here were can only share our stories, experiences, suggestions and support. The thing is have you Properly been diagnosed with this type of depression? Maybe you could tell us a little more about yourself.

If we can't stand alone to help ourselves,
with support we shall stand together
to make the changes and a difference within our lives
and the lives of all for the better.

#3 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

ID: 16232

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

Hello,

It seems that I fit a Recurrent Brief Depression diagnosis pretty well. I have a depression for 2-3 days, then it goes away, I feel pretty normal for a week or two and back to depression. I already tried several medications (Zoloft, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin) but it did not seem to help me.

What is considered a successful treatment for this kind of depression disorder ?

Thank you,
Dudley

Is that 'your' diagnosis or one of a member of the medical profession. Have you considered Dysthymia? Very similar in symptemology. Either way, professional advise is needed.

... lambvet

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#4 dudley

dudley

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for the comments.

I did consider a dysthymia but it does not seem like a good fit - I am pretty optimistic (not manic) when I am not depressed. I am 37 yr old male, otherwise in an excellent health. For the last 8 years I have been suffering sluggish cognitive tempo, memory issues, and mediocre depression. As I said before, it comes in cycles, I get roughly 3-4 cycles in a month. I went through countless tests and evaluation (MRI, EEG, allergy, sleep test, endocrinological tests to name a few), I also tried several SSRI medications, an SNRI med, Wellbutrin, Topamax, Depakote, and a thyroid med. No effects whatsoever.

I have a great GP and also a migraine doctor (also excellent) that I visit regularly but they don't really know. Meantime, I am trying my best to find out what is wrong with me. Brief Recurrent Depression is my current diagnosis (I have had many theories over the last several years) and I was hoping you could tell me if you think it fits or if you have any other ideas.

#5 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hi dudley, Unless your GP specializes in psychiatric disorders and treatment, they may not be the best at diagnosing you or finding the right medications. I suggest a visit to a psychiatrist to get a good diagnosis and recommendation for medication. They are the only physicians with specific training and experience in those areas.
It's my understanding that not everyone with dysthymia has mania. I have a friend with dysthymia who has never had mania. She is mainly depressed but cycles through better days. It may be that a mood stabalizer could help you.
Iowa

#6 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

Hi dudley,

I do agree that if your are not seeing a pdoc that you may want to seek a referral from your gp for a pdoc so that you may properly be monitored for the proper meds and treatments.

#7 dudley

dudley

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the comments. I have scheduled an appoitment with a pdoc; hope it will bring me some asnwers.

Meantime, I will tap into the collective wisdom of this forum; I frequently have cognitive issues (confusion, memory impairment) without the mood disorder. Does that sound possible ? For this reason I initally refused the depression diagnosis. It almost seems that I have a clinical depression without (sometimes) being depressed.

#8 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hi dudley,

I'm glad to hear that you have scheduled an appointment with a pdoc. I think that you may get more answers there and a more accurate diagnoses. As we are not professionals here we can only suggest and support what may be of help to members and only the pdoc can give a proper diagnoses. Please keep in mind even though you are tapping into the collective information here on the forms that we are not professionals but we share what we have been diagnosed by professional and what we go through with the different mental illnesses and that for each individual these illnesses may vary in how a person is affected by the illness.

#9 wolstar

wolstar

Just Registered

ID: 47292

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the comments. I have scheduled an appoitment with a pdoc; hope it will bring me some asnwers.

Meantime, I will tap into the collective wisdom of this forum; I frequently have cognitive issues (confusion, memory impairment) without the mood disorder. Does that sound possible ? For this reason I initally refused the depression diagnosis. It almost seems that I have a clinical depression without (sometimes) being depressed.

Dear Dudley,

I have been disgnosed as having BRD as well, by a psychiatrist. I recognize your symmptoms and also never considered depression as a diagnose. However, now I do because after so many cycles I got less and less cheerfull. I also tried various meds but none seem to work. Is spychotherapy usefull?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users