Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

What's The Best Antidepressant For Anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Butterfly

Blue Butterfly

ID: 23690

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

I've been suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks for the past few months and nothing seems to be helping. I've been on Lexapro and that only made me so much worse, unfortunately after braving it for 4 weeks my doc changed me to Celexa. I have been on it for 2 weeks so far and i'm feeling awful! My anxiety is so bad i've been trying to convince my doc to give me more Ativan and he doesn't want to. I've felt so suicidal i have considered going to hospital but i can't really afford that. I have been on so many antidepressants over the last 6 years that now i have reached a dead end. I have been on Celexa before but didn't have any horrible side-effects. I am worried i'll have to change again so i would really like to know what antidepressant helped the most with your anxiety? Please help, i am desperate!!!
Kat

#2 Joyce

Joyce

ID: 18983

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

I've been suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks for the past few months and nothing seems to be helping. I've been on Lexapro and that only made me so much worse, unfortunately after braving it for 4 weeks my doc changed me to Celexa. I have been on it for 2 weeks so far and i'm feeling awful! My anxiety is so bad i've been trying to convince my doc to give me more Ativan and he doesn't want to. I've felt so suicidal i have considered going to hospital but i can't really afford that. I have been on so many antidepressants over the last 6 years that now i have reached a dead end. I have been on Celexa before but didn't have any horrible side-effects. I am worried i'll have to change again so i would really like to know what antidepressant helped the most with your anxiety? Please help, i am desperate!!!

:hearts: Blue Butterfly

I am so sorry about your anxiety and panick attacks. I totally understand how you feel.

As for the AD, each person is different and what works for one might not work for another so we cant tell you which AD would be best for you specifically.

Can I ask you which meds you have been on the last 6 years?

:flowers:
Joyce
Posted Image

#3 PRT

PRT

ID: 33974

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

Hi Blue Butterfly,

Although Celexa does worsen your anxiety in the initial weeks, you should find that when you're used to it, it actually controls it pretty well. Apparently it is one of the best SSRIs for anxiety. It worked well with me anyway and I got some terrible panic attacks in the first couple of weeks. Stick it out a while longer and maybe do some relaxation exercises in the meantime xxx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#4 darcness

darcness

ID: 35281

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

From pretty much everything I've seen both Lexapro and Zoloft come highly recommended for anxiety.

My wife takes Lexapro and I take Zoloft. Both of us have seen a dramatic decrease in our anxiety. I've not had to use any Xanax in about 3 weeks now and my wife takes hers only as needed and she's been able to go longer and longer between needing it too. So far so good for both of us really.

Some of the greatest advice I've ever received on DF: "Always remember that recovery is not linear"
Such a simple phrase, but so easily forgotten...

#5 paris215

paris215

ID: 40912

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:37 PM

Prozac worked for me, but it didn't happen right away. I'd say it was about 6-8 months before my anxiety went away. I'm guessing it would normally work faster, but I've been in an extremely stressful living situation that aggravated my anxiety in a huge way. It's really helped me to feel overall calmer and not get worked up into a panic or anxiety attack over things that bothered me before. I don't have any side effects either which is a huge relief. I tried Zoloft once for a short time, but it made me more anxious, made my thinking foggy and bothered my stomach. I like Prozac much better!

#6 Tovah

Tovah

ID: 39873

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:38 PM

Lexapro has worked for me but it has taken several weeks to do so.

I also had very good luck with Paxil but it "pooped out" after 5 years.

Good luck. :hearts:
Donnie Darko: I made a new friend today.
Psychiatrist: Real or imaginary?
Donnie Darko: Imaginary.

#7 scottybear

scottybear

ID: 8964

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:05 AM

Try another SSRI or something milder like buspar or a Benzodiazepine

#8 Boldman20056701

Boldman20056701

ID: 43697

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:49 AM

Try another SSRI or something milder like buspar or a Benzodiazepine

My x wife has been taking Klonapin for years and she said it works really well. I have taken xanax for short periods of time but don't know much about tohers, prozac did work for me for a while, it helped me sleep through the night with the depression
Boldman

#9 Guest_Sweetest1_*

Guest_Sweetest1_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:31 AM

you may want to discuss with your doctor adding an Anti-anxiety medication to your Anti-depressant. Docs often use drugs together.

Also, you should ask your Pharmacist what he/she thinks, especially if you use the same one all the time and for a long time. They often know a lot more about the meds we take than our docs do, and most of us don't ask them more than "how are you today?".

So in short, if I was you, I would I ask my Pharmacist for advice and information, and take that with me to my next docs appointment and discuss it with him/her.

Between now and then, breathe deeply and slowly. We are here for you.

bec

#10 desirehope

desirehope

ID: 37054

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:02 AM

I have tried many antidepressants including the on's quoted and haven't found a match yet. I have been taking these types of meds for 16years. I am still struggling to find a match for me. But from what I hear, it's a personal experiment. I hope they develop more meds, so I can continue on a the search. Good luck with yours!

From pretty much everything I've seen both Lexapro and Zoloft come highly recommended for anxiety.

My wife takes Lexapro and I take Zoloft. Both of us have seen a dramatic decrease in our anxiety. I've not had to use any Xanax in about 3 weeks now and my wife takes hers only as needed and she's been able to go longer and longer between needing it too. So far so good for both of us really.

#11 mom2pg

mom2pg

ID: 37593

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

Look around on the web about mood stabilizers such as Depakote. They are used in Seizure disorders, but have been found to really knock out depression and anxiety.

#12 Joyce

Joyce

ID: 18983

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

Blue Butterfly,

I cant tell which med is best for you but the most recommended ADs for anxiety disorders are effexor and pristiq, cymbalta and zoloft. Also when you start a new AD it is recommended to add an anti anxiety for those suffering from anxiety disorders until the AD kicks in. Its usually a month or two as benzos are considered addictive. But that would be another debate.

Hope it helps
:shocked:
Joyce
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users