Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Hot Weather And Anxiety

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cookie86

cookie86

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

i associate my body being hot with panic attacks so during the warmer months im always more anxious ( i live in australia.. summer is a Biotch) i was jut wondering if this happens with anyone else and if so what do u do to combat it... im still in early stages on CBT (just done my first diagnotstic session) and i kow its going to be getting hotter ans hotter soon.. so any advise would help
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
Confucius

#2 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

Hi Cookie86, I have the opposite aversion, I get anxious as the days grow shorter and temperatures fall. I dread winter. I've been hospitalized mostly in late October/early November. I chalk that up to my anxiety because sometimes we have warm weather through October and I'd been getting plenty of sun. I tend to overanalyze but am thinking it's because I fear going outside when the surfaces may be slippery and cause me a panic attack. What to do? I'm wrestling with this myself. Right now, I'm trying to enjoy each day as it is and let the worrying sort of pass through my thoughts and not dwell on them. I tell myself that I'll probably be miserable but don't need to now.
Is there anything you can identify that causes you to extra anxiety in the summer months or hotter weather? I don't know if it's helpful or not. Like I said, I'm trying to work through this myself.
Iowa

#3 cookie86

cookie86

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:19 PM

its mostly coz we get up to 43 -45 (last summer heat wave 15 days of it) and its a killer when u dont have anxiety i know i have a bath filled with cold water all day so i can drop in and we have air con.

but when i have panic attacks i get really hot then sweat.. and in the heat u naturally do that so in my mind i bring those two together.. bah and i know im doing it so im trying exposure right now.. 30 mins in the sun with a bottle of water and a book .. trying to read and get my mind of things and if i can do it once i know i can do it again! its only 25 degrees here today but compared to 16 yesterday its a jump! .. the weather is all over the place and i hate it

i keep u posted on the progress! wish me luck
Confucius

#4 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:31 PM

Yes, that's unbearly be hot to be out in. Do you have much humidity? When it gets over 100' F here, we have so much humidity that it's difficult to breathe. I was in Texas during the summer a couple of years -- no humidity to speak of but temps as high as you mentioned. I hated going outside during the day -- ran out to turn the air conditioner in the car on to run awhile before leaving.
In a strange way, it sounds like you face a similar situation there that I do in the winter here. We hate to go out and do everything we can to keep ourselves at a comfortable temperature. It is extremely difficult because we have windows and Tv and things that remind us that out "there" it will be too hot (or cold). We get anxious wondering how we're going to get groceries, etc.
I wish I had more advice to offer. Maybe you and I can share anything we've found that is helpful. Right now I'm trying to enjoy the fall days for what they are and not focus on the upcoming winter. Try to focus on your spring days and not focus on your summer. I wish you luck!!!
Iowa

#5 cookie86

cookie86

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:37 PM

its help enough to know im not alone! and yes i always find myself looking at the weather for the week ahead.. and when its going hot i get worked up and more anxious and dont look forward ot going to sleep coz i know its going to be a s***ty day. it does get humid ! its awful.. u stick to everything and out aircon is evporative nor refrigerated which means everything feels even stickier ! bah.. hey i know i can do it i have done it two yrs in a row now and surviuved!
Confucius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users