Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Is Cymbalta Supposed To Make You Feel Tired/knocked Out

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 change

change

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

today was he first day i took cymbalta. i took half a capsule (my dr. said to open it up and take out about half) for 5 days and then go to 30mg. I took a capsule at 10am and by 11am i felt real tired and had to lay down for 2 1/2 hours - no sleep just rest). is this normal . will it get worse especially since i'm at such a low dose.
please let me know.

#2 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

HI change,

There are lots of side-effects you can experience when starting a new med. Tiredness is one of them. You should find that it stops being so debilitating after a while although there may always be some kind of effect. It takes between 6-8 weeks to work effectively.

PRT xx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#3 Empir3

Empir3

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

Hello Change,

While I have only been on Cymbalta for about a week, I can completely relate to how you are feeling. I seem to be good for the mornings until about 11:30-noon, but then I seem to hit a wall of exhaustion and it doesn't seem to go away. Try to catch a nap in the afternoon if you can, it helps sometimes, other times I feel no better then before I layed down. Can't always nap tho as work keeps us busy, so just try to push through it. Should mine get any better I will drop you a line in here and let you know.

#4 change

change

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hello Change,

While I have only been on Cymbalta for about a week, I can completely relate to how you are feeling. I seem to be good for the mornings until about 11:30-noon, but then I seem to hit a wall of exhaustion and it doesn't seem to go away. Try to catch a nap in the afternoon if you can, it helps sometimes, other times I feel no better then before I layed down. Can't always nap tho as work keeps us busy, so just try to push through it. Should mine get any better I will drop you a line in here and let you know.

thank you for your response. how much are you on? i have been sleeping terrible before this and am worried that this will totally mess up any sleep i am getting. do you also take it in the am? also any worries about the withdrawals i read about?

change

#5 Empir3

Empir3

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hello Change,

thank you for your response. how much are you on? i have been sleeping terrible before this and am worried that this will totally mess up any sleep i am getting. do you also take it in the am? also any worries about the withdrawals i read about?

change

Change,

I am on 60mg of cymbalta, started right @ 60mg, I take it in the morning, around 6am everyday (works starts pretty early >.<) I have been on sleeping pills for probably the better part of 2 years, I can't fall asleep @ bedtime to save my life. Being on cymbalta had made my sleep significantly worse, just last night I think I woke straight up about 3-4 times, I get back to sleep, some time quick, other times it takes 15 mins or so. but I don't really feel the effects of the lost sleep during the day if I keep busy.

I don't really worry about withdrawal symptoms right now, I think Cymbalta is gonna work out for me (fingers crossed), and I think this is something your on for a while if it works for you.... so I'll deal with withdrawals when the time comes I suppose. Besides, everyone is affected differently buy the drugs, who's to say that maybe you or I don't get any withdrawals if we tapper down the dose the right way when the time comes. One thing I am learning form this whole experience is don't sweat the small stuff, or the things you have no control over.... doesn't mean I won't :P but I am working towards it :)

#6 WantToHeal

WantToHeal

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

I had this in the early going with Cymbalta...30mg for a week, then up to 60mg. The fatigue lasted about a month. After that, it wasn't bad. The med covered my anxiety enough to where I could resume (some of) my normal coffee habit, so this helped as well.

#7 change

change

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

[

Change,

I am on 60mg of cymbalta, started right @ 60mg, I take it in the morning, around 6am everyday (works starts pretty early >.<) I have been on sleeping pills for probably the better part of 2 years, I can't fall asleep @ bedtime to save my life. Being on cymbalta had made my sleep significantly worse, just last night I think I woke straight up about 3-4 times, I get back to sleep, some time quick, other times it takes 15 mins or so. but I don't really feel the effects of the lost sleep during the day if I keep busy.

I don't really worry about withdrawal symptoms right now, I think Cymbalta is gonna work out for me (fingers crossed), and I think this is something your on for a while if it works for you.... so I'll deal with withdrawals when the time comes I suppose. Besides, everyone is affected differently buy the drugs, who's to say that maybe you or I don't get any withdrawals if we tapper down the dose the right way when the time comes. One thing I am learning form this whole experience is don't sweat the small stuff, or the things you have no control over.... doesn't mean I won't :P but I am working towards it :)

Empir3,

thank you for your response. Its a very positive way to look at things and i'm sure in the end everything will work out for you. I only hope that i can get to that point. I have pain issues along with the depression so cymbalta was added to the mix. I am also on imipramine which helps give me a few hours of sleep each night but am concerned of the lack of sleep cymbalta might counter with. it's wonderful to have a place to talk to others and get support.

#8 Sammybingo

Sammybingo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

To help with my exhaustion (I have just returned to education) I have been taking Berroca tablets in the morning - a vitamin pill designed to help with tiredness. It seems to be helping a bit. I don't know if you can get your hands on any, they sell them in all pharmacys in the UK, but might be worth trying?

My Psychologist has banned me from daytime naps, as it does mess up my sleep pattern. I have recently started needing them again, but I try really hard to go for a walk instead. It can be very hard to move myself and get the motivation to do it, but it does help. Swimming has been good too - for relaxing me and perking me up. I can cry sometimes over how tired I get though!

I would also recommend trying to do a little bit of housework when you are tired - it makes you wake up a bit and makes you feel like you have acheived something, even if it's only a five minute tidy or something. I can feel very sorry for myself as I am doing it, but afterwards I normally feel a bit better.

I hope something I said might be useful to you!

#9 funkspiel

funkspiel

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:24 PM

I was having 2 or 3 sleep cycles per 24 hours, disorienting, often didn't know what day it was. Pdoc suggested addding Adderall which she claims will enhance Cymbalta as well as take care of my sleep cycles. Your sleep cycle is defined more or less by when Adderall is not in effect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users