Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lindsay

Doggone It! Can Pets Improve Your Health?

103 posts in this topic

Posted

Ahh its so true, my cat is the best - probably the most dumbest creature on the planet: the switch which tells a cat that it should stop washing itself is definitley broken on mine, it covers itself in drool, drools constantly when you start to stroke it and has only just learned to meow at the age of 15 - its really more of a croak. She's soo affectionate though, if i have a baggy top on and im lying on the floor she'll come up and crawl inside my and settle in the sleeve, if you sit still for even a minute she's on you :hearts:

And she's named snork, after snork maiden from the Moomins! Wouldn't change her for the world, she's priceless!

Ooooh SNORK, from the Moomins!!!!

Hehe, that's lovely!!!

I've read the moomin stories while growing up!

And your Snork does sound lovely! I'd love to pet her!

Cats are adorable, I have a male cat, he's the silliest in the world!

He ADORES my husband and always wants to sleep next to him! LOL!

Or on any of his clothes.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

:hearts:

I definitely agree, especially emotional health. I have 2 dogs, they don't care what kind of mood I'm in coming home from work, I need some alone time at the end of the day, to wind down, and they respect that.

I wish I could bring them to work with me, it's a stressful job and I've had a few meltdowns...I have pictures of them all around my cubicle (more than of my husband!) even that kind of helps me. I have a problem with driving - road rage - but if I the dogs are in the car with me, I'm not as likely to explode. I need to have one! or two or...

We don't walk them as much as we used to, but I've gotten involved in Agility with the younger one, it's fun and she loves it, I get some exercise, and she has gained more confidence (we have a lot of the same issues) we help each other.

Posted

I've gotten involved in Agility

Agility! Fantastic!

I just finished a basic obedience class with my little squirt, it was lots of fun, and they showed us the easiest agility equipment. I'm really looking forward to when they start the next set of classes.

It's with a dog club and and they have a nice group of people down there.

Posted

I can't imagine life without animals around me. However lately I have been so down I need to have fewer,as caring for them becomes an issue. My husband doesn't always appreciate my many pets so isn't very supportive when I go through a rough patch and don't cope so well with all the "looking after" needed. He tells me it is my problem as they are my hobby...So, many of my pedigree Cavies (guinea pigs) have to go as I can't stand the stress and his attitude. I have had trouble getting up the energy to give them all the attention they should get.. of course they are fed and watered and have big comfy cages..ut I used to spend a lot of time with them other than this...so need to try and make my life a bit easier. We have 4 dogs, 3 cats, rats, rabbits, mice, a budgie, fish..so not short of pets by any means! The dogs are amazing..will always have dogs! Maybe when my kids are more mature they will make the caretaking side of things a bit easier ! Mum gets to do all..even when the kids insist they own this dog and budgie, mice.. and those cats!! I love animals so much..wish I had a job working with them that paid the mortgage LOL! ..I have pups due in 3 weeks!! Maybe that will cheer me up!

Posted (edited)

my wonderful westie sam makes me feel better he listens and dosent judge when i need some air he comes with me he is always there to welcome me home he gives me a hug and keeps my feet warm at night he makes me feel safe when im alone in the house and he loves me unconditionally howevr bad i feel

where else can you get all this in one place

dogs are the best therapy ever

my sam has a blog because he is very special

*PM Member for the link*

Edited by KeepingAwake
removed link per our TOS

Posted

My Sophie saves my life everyday.

I'm all alone in the world and she's all I have. We live alone in a tiny apartment and I'm all she's got too. I don't know what I'd do without my Sophie. She's the only one that makes me smile these days. And I'm just so incredibly dpendent on her that I don;t kwno what I'd do without her.

The unconditional love our pets have for us really does help when we're feeling down. Especialy when they seem to know when you are feeling bad.

Posted

i catsit for my brother and sisiter-in-law

and i really moan about him in here,comic little moans cause hes so delightfully evil!!!

but i really do love him,id be devastated if anything happened to him,he does make me smile,i definately think animals can make you feel better

even when i watch the fish in my aquarian they calm me!!!

Posted

I would **** to have a dog but my brother hates the fact that we won't get the one he wants, if we ever do.

Actually I believe that he is only disturbed because very rarely, I might get what I want.

Posted

I was recently given a dog for Valentine's Day. A four month old pit bull. She was BEAUTIFUL.

Last week the next door neighbor threatened to shoot the dog while she was running around the yard, and drew his gun in her face. It was decided that she would have a better, safer home with my friend's father.

But I already miss her a lot, and only had her a few weeks. My first pet too... Oh well, maybe in the future.

Posted

My Mom bought me a Pomeranian the day I finished chemo.He only weighs 4 lbs so we named him Killer lol.He has a personality of his own and demands attention he makes us love him.When I am feeling down he will do something goofy and I can't help but smile.When my husband comes home from work he goes nuts.He loves to give sugar.I care for him mostly so I have to move round more.Giving him a bath is an adventure in itself lol especially drying to blow dry him.

Lisa

Posted

All I know is that my 2 dogs are the best friends I've ever had in my life time. The unconditional love and innocence is absolutely priceless. I never thought I'd be a dog person, but when I was 30 a friend got a rat terrier puppy -- he traveled a lot so I ended up taking care of the dog for 3 months. I then moved out of state and missed the little guy "Nipper' so much. About 5 months later I picked my dog, Graci, out of a litter of 4 week old puppies I visited her 3 times before getting her at 10 weeks old. I never realized the responsibility it took to care for a dog (just like having a kid but harder to find someone to watch a dog) - but as I grew to love this beautiful little creature I never thought twice about the money, time, or attention it took to care for her. She is now 9 years old

I got my 2nd rat terrier almost 6 years ago when she was almost 2 years old -- Princess -- she was a rescue from a family who abused her and her brother. She had a LOT of issues -- it took about a year and she really came around and since then month by month her personality has changed in a positive way and she is just a bundle of love, joy, and energy!

Graci & Princess always compete for my attention but I have more than enough love for both of them.

In dealing with my lifetime of depression, I honestly don't know if I would have made it through without my girls. In my most depressed and down times, they are always there with that innocent little look in their eyes, their wagging tails, wanting to comfort me.

I cannot ever imagine now, not having a dog.

Posted

i owe my life to my dog she loves me no matter what she knows when im down and comes and cuddle me. i love taking her for long walks i love seeing her running around enjoying her self. her birth sister lives down the road and they go walking together every day. i also take my dog to training which she loves its my way of saying thank you to her.

Posted

Question: Is anybody here familiar with Labrador Retrievers? Someone wants me to think about getting one that someone is trying to get rid of. I know they need LOTS of exercise...but what exactly might I be getting myself into?

Posted

Question: Is anybody here familiar with Labrador Retrievers? Someone wants me to think about getting one that someone is trying to get rid of. I know they need LOTS of exercise...but what exactly might I be getting myself into?

Hi QNA

I've had many Labrador's. They are incredibly gentle and intellegent dogs. Over here in South Africa they are often used as guide dogs for the blind.

They are excellent around children and anyone really. They get on with other animals well too.

They need space as well, so if you don't have a place with a yard, you will have to take them on long walks. They can be very playful and exceptionally calming.

One thing that is fairly commonly genetic in Labrador's, but Lambvet would be able to help you out here, is that as they get older they tend to suffer from hip dispalsure and Epilepsy, but can have these checked by a vet on a regular basis.

They are not trouble causes. Probably one of the most gentle breeds around. Very good companions.

Trace

Posted

Hi QNA

I've had many Labrador's. They are incredibly gentle and intellegent dogs. Over here in South Africa they are often used as guide dogs for the blind.

They are excellent around children and anyone really. They get on with other animals well too.

They need space as well, so if you don't have a place with a yard, you will have to take them on long walks. They can be very playful and exceptionally calming.

One thing that is fairly commonly genetic in Labrador's, but Lambvet would be able to help you out here, is that as they get older they tend to suffer from hip dispalsure and Epilepsy, but can have these checked by a vet on a regular basis.

They are not trouble causes. Probably one of the most gentle breeds around. Very good companions.

Trace

Thanks for the info!

Posted

I have 3 dogs and 3 cats :hearts::bump::shocked:

I love them all to bits, but theres particular ones i will go to if i need to feel calmer and more relaxed.

Dogwise, we have a 13yr old yellow lab called Jess, a 5yr old collie cross called Max and a 12month old chocolate labrador called Daisy. Daisy is going well and truly through her puppy phase and just wants to play constantly so isnt good for the relaxation! Max always makes me feel guiltly, i dont know why...but Jess.... :nod::shocked: She is perfect for hugs and love. She will literally sit or lie there as long as possible and will nuzzle you if you stop. Shes my calm dog and im going to miss her hugely when the time comes as shes getting on a bit now.

CAt wise....theres Neo whos a big black fluffy moggie with orange eyes about 7 (rescue), Maggie whos a short hair tortie whos also 7ish and Maizie, a short hair black and white rescue. Maizie loves her outdoors and altho when she comes in she lokes to sit on our knees and be stroked, shes very much an outdoory cat! Maggie is very independant and wants hugs when SHE wants hugs, but Neo is my cuddle kitty...just a complete softy and always does the little paw dance on my chest and bless him dribbles with happiness!!

All the others are wonderful in their own right and like i say i love them to pieces and wouldnt be without them, but my two cuddle buddies are my saviours sometimes they really are.

Would recommend a lab in a heartbeat but a puppy is such hard work! We rescued Jess from a puppy farm when she was 10 and shes so laidback and calm, so if thats what youre looking for maybe look at a rescue labs. Unfortunately theres so many about :mad1:

so YES the right pet can really really help!! :cry::blush21::tear2:

Posted (edited)

I agree with this! My dogs are my world.They know when I need a little more time to cuddle. They are the best friends I could ask for. Sassi my Sharpei mix can tell when I am going to start having mood swings and will sit beside me through them. Buddy my bassett hound mix well he is my lover. he will come up beside me and let me kiss on him and share my sorrows

Edited by bobbibrowneyes

Posted

I love labadar retrievers they are the most loving and loyal breed.

Posted

my wonderful westie sam makes me feel better he listens and dosent judge when i need some air he comes with me he is always there to welcome me home he gives me a hug and keeps my feet warm at night he makes me feel safe when im alone in the house and he loves me unconditionally howevr bad i feel

where else can you get all this in one place

dogs are the best therapy ever

my sam has a blog because he is very special

*PM Member for the link*

i honestly think pets can help alot

Posted (edited)

There have been many periods in my life where having the company of a pet has saved my sanity.

I think it's because with a pet in the house, it gives me somewhere pleasant to rest my mind.

Without a pet I find my mind just has to think about all the bad things that are going on, and there is no distraction from it.

A pet makes me smile, laugh, feel loved, feel not alone.

Edited by jade222gem

Posted

I live alone, which I really don't mind. I like having my own place, my own space, but it does get a little lonely sometimes since I don't have my boyfriend here. I like living alone, but I don't think I could live completely alone, I like having my cats to come home to, nothing like having Z and Tabitha greet me at the door when I come home. Well, Tabitha greets me, Z is older and just keeps on sleeping.

Posted

I have two brazilian mastifs. They are brilliant, agile, beautiful, and loving. They rank right up there with my husband and children (except that I would never put my child outside for peeing on the floor~perhaps my husband, but definetely not the kids:-). They love me unconditionally, and are often the first to notice that I have come home. They are ever eager to show me attention, and will bolt down the stairs if I am going outside, just so they can hang with me. That's cool. My boys are like, "Uh, no mom, why would we want to go outside with you?" They are amazingly therapeutic. Often I am unable to show affection to people, but my dogs have helped me with this (oddly enough).

Posted

at the moment our household has - and i'm not exaggerating - 40 cats. we rescue and care for strays, then rehome them (most of the time - its hard to find homes) 15 are ~2 month kittens, 6 are newborn kittens, 3 mums...these are the strays. the others are cats we have had for a long time and are no longer trying to home.

having 40 cats is a lot of hard work. some need hand feeding, taming, medicating and all sorts. but it is very rewarding, and so in a way it helps the depression. they keep me busy which is good!

Posted

I know that my pets give me a reason to get up and go to work. if i didn't have to take care of them i'd probably be a lot worse off than i am.

Posted

Pets are the best. My family has I think always had a dog(s) plus/or hamsters. (Mom never allowed me to have a rat, but thats ok, because I