Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

California Psychologist Wants 'Extreme Bias' Against Homosexuals Added to 'DSM'

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Admin Team

ID: 4

• Super Administrators
  • 14,552 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:55 AM

from Social/Political News
California Psychologist Wants 'Extreme Bias' Against Homosexuals Added To 'DSM'
January, 2006 - In early December 2005, Washington Post writer Shankar Vedantam reported on the efforts of UCLA psychology professor Edward Dunbar to encourage the psychiatric community to add "extreme bias" against homosexuals (or ethnic groups) added to the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

Professor Dunbar is considered an expert on hate crimes and serves as a consultant with the Los Angeles City Police Department, the LA Unified School District and the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center.

The Post article quotes Darrel A. Regier, director of research at the APA who supports research into whether pathological bias is a disorder but wonders if adding it to the DSM would be useful. "If you're going to put racism into the next edition of DSM, you would have enormous criticism." Critics would ask, "'Are you pathologizing all of life? You better be prepared to defend that classification."

Sally Satel, author of PC, M.D.: How Political Correctness Is Corrupting Medicine, calls Dunbar's proposal "absurd" and says such a diagnosis could be used by hate crime perpetrators to escape punishment.

However, Alvin F. Poussaint, professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School agrees with Dunbar and characterizes individuals with extreme bias as "delusional." He notes: "They imagine people are going to do all kinds of bad things and hurt them, and feel they have to do something to protect themselves. When they reach that stage, they are very impaired."

Shama Chaiken, with the California Department of Corrections also agrees with Dunbar. "We treat racism and homophobia as delusional disorders."

SOURCE:- NARTH (National Assocition for Research & Therapy Of Homosexuality

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

"One person can make a difference through their seemingly small actions" ~Unknown
"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived". ~ Bessie Stanley

Depression Forums are PG rated and we comply with Health on the Net's HONcode
goldenvelope1jr.gifplatinumstar.jpg

Hotlines

Advertisement

#2 20thcenturyboy

20thcenturyboy

ID: 22557

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:37 AM

By this token they should add extreme religious fundamentalists and fanatics to the DSM.

#3 SpiralingMind

SpiralingMind

Platinum Member

ID: 18574

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

I very much agree!

#4 clairesf

clairesf

ID: 26198

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. The APA working group is composed of the same people that appointed Ray Blanchard and Kenneth Zucker, formerly of Ontario's notorious Clark Institute as leaders of the transgender reform group. These men are anathema to TG people everywhere. :hearts:
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

#5 Ephemera

Ephemera

ID: 31897

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

Hmm... I don't really think homophobia applies to a mental disability. If it did, so many people have it. No amount of medicine could fix what an individual believes in. Should homophobia be added to the DM, not only would it spark criticism but it would also basically mean that environmentalists (etc.) would be next. That's like categorizing people like scientists do the various species.

I wouldn't bet two cents on this being accepted, honestly. The only reason homophobia is an issue is due to religion and bible teachings along with personal interpetation. Well, that, and most people are extremely closed-minded. >>;

I can't even get through the day
since you walked away

#6 Angeldust

Angeldust

ID: 61070

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

i am religious and yes it does say in the bible that homeosexuality is wrong, But that doesnt give people the right to immediatly suggest religious people or groups are going to be homophobic, infact as a christian, love and acceptance of all people regardless of race, gender, orientation or disability is at the core of christian values.
People who are homophobic generally arnt religious at all and use the bible as an excuse for their views, causing intolerance and hate towards general christians that have never shown such hate or indifference towards homosexuals.
Id also say any christian that is homophobic, is certaintly not a christian, and not only are they shaming themselves but casusing extreme damage to good christians who preach nothing but love, acceptance and forgiveness towards a broken and hatred filled world.
God bless.
Adam

#7 neilalwayswins

neilalwayswins

ID: 65903

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

i am religious and yes it does say in the bible that homeosexuality is wrong, But that doesnt give people the right to immediatly suggest religious people or groups are going to be homophobic, infact as a christian, love and acceptance of all people regardless of race, gender, orientation or disability is at the core of christian values.
People who are homophobic generally arnt religious at all and use the bible as an excuse for their views, causing intolerance and hate towards general christians that have never shown such hate or indifference towards homosexuals.
Id also say any christian that is homophobic, is certaintly not a christian, and not only are they shaming themselves but casusing extreme damage to good christians who preach nothing but love, acceptance and forgiveness towards a broken and hatred filled world.
God bless.
Adam

Well said.

#8 fury79

fury79

Just Registered

ID: 65365

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

I read about this story years ago I don't know what came of it, but it seemed like a pretty dangerous idea to me. People believe in all kinds of crazy, hateful things, so where do you draw the line and who gets to draw it? As far as I'm concerned, Sarah Palin and her supporters are functionally ********, but that doesn't mean I begrudge them the right to have voice their beliefs and pursue their agenda. If you believe in freedom (in all its totality) you are obliged to defends the freedoms of everyone...especially those too stupid to understand why they should do the same for you. We can't condemn people for their beliefs and then demand that they respect our own.

#9 Dremko

Dremko

Just Registered

ID: 67598

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

I think it is appropriate and reasonable to consider extreme homophobia as a mental disorder, in a similar way that gambling addiction is. It's separate from the recognition that everyone has a right to their own views. It's the extremity, irrational fear &/or hate, and the damage this does to the individual & others that make it a disorder, like alcoholism or drug addiction, or even shopping adiction.

Then again, what about when similar irrational fears take over the majority of a whole country, e.g. like my fellow Australians towards assylum seekers in recent years? It has been recognised for thousands of years that ordinary, "healthy" people can become insane, from Hindu texts such as the Bhagavad Gita, to 18th-century literature such as the serious critique of humanity by Johnathan Swift in Gulliver's Travels re our irrationality and depravity. Thomas Middleton's play The Changeling (published 1653) presents strong emotions which overtake a person (e.g. passionate love & lust) as literally a type of "madness". Not to mention the many philosophers who have made similar observations. It's a thread that weaves throughout much of both Eastern and western culture over the ages.

What to do about it is another question. Recognising it as a problem is important, and it is the place of psychological science to do so, but of course we also need to protect freedom of thought & expression.

Although love and lust like other forms of madness can cause us to harm ourselves and others, as Middleton's plays illustrate to a dramatic extreme, hatred is far more destructive, and should therefore be taken more seriously.

Recognition of this madness, and actions for harm minimisation don't need to deny or violate anybody's rights, e.g. to freedom of thought, opinion, & expression. Education campaigns for example, to answer questions, correct misinformation, and debunk myths are a very much needed part of the treatment, and is good for everyone.

#10 AnxiouslyScared

AnxiouslyScared

ID: 67508

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:37 AM

I think a lot of the disorders in the DSM are very legit, however stuff like this is just bull. I'm all for gay marriage and non-discrimination no matter race, religion, orientation, gender, etc. however if someone wants to be against homosexuals, that perhaps, is their American right/religious right and shouldn't be classified as a "disorder". Absolutely insane. I can't believe they would even consider this.

#11 Wonderer

Wonderer

Just Registered

ID: 69475

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

The word "homophobe" has, firstly, a definition much too obscure. I have heard it used to define people who simply do not support gay marriage, more often than I have heard it used to define people who are truly afraid of gays/lesbians. In other words, it's typically a smear, and to say it's equivalent to a mental disorder is simply saying, "Anyone who doesn't believe as I do is crazy."
Secondly, to hold a belief is not in any way a mental disorder. To defend it is not a disorder. No matter how much we'd like it to be otherwise, how much we hate the belief, or how much we disagree with the defending. Actually, I'd question the funtionability of a person in society, if they did NOT hold any beliefs dear. Put belief-holding on the DSM, and anyone who stands for anything will qualify as mentally ill. And no one will be held accountable for any actions, good or bad, assumed by reason on those beliefs.

#12 DamsInDistress

DamsInDistress

ID: 70896

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

It sounds like there are a lot more issues with being gay in America than in Britain. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users