Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Menstrual problems on Wellbutrin?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_journey_*

Guest_journey_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

Has anyone noticed a difference in their menstrual cycle or breakthrough bleeding while on Wellbutrin? In all my years I have basically never had breakthrough bleeding, and this is the second cycle and I am not due for a week yet this is the second day I have had some scant bleeding and my ovaries hurt. I am getting irritated with this and wish it would stop.....

Has anyone else had this occur?

#2 jillivinilly

jillivinilly

Platinum Member

ID: 63

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

I have been on Wellbutrin for about 5 years and have never experienced this.
I hope you can get in to see your doctor about it soon.
Into the Great Wide Open - Tom Petty
Posted Image

#3 lizard

lizard

ID: 20

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:17 PM

Menstrual complaints is a listed potential side-effect of Wellbutrin. I was affected very hormonaly by WB. I was in peri-menopause when I started on it - hadn't had a period in almost a year - and I mentruated every month I was on WB. When I stopped taking WB, my periods stpped again.
Please discuss it with your doc just to rule out any other possible causes for this change, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a start-up side-effect. The good news is that these side-effects often lessen over time.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#4 ellen

ellen

ID: 5007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:31 AM

I just started WB about a month ago and my last period came a week early!! I hadn't considered the fact that the WB was to blame, but I will now go speak to my doc. I didn't know this was a potential side effect. No breakthrough bleeding though, so far.
As bad as I am,
I'm proud of the fact,
That I'm worse than I seem.
--Ani Difranco

#5 Guest_journey_*

Guest_journey_*

• Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:14 PM

I just started WB about a month ago and my last period came a week early!! I hadn't considered the fact that the WB was to blame, but I will now go speak to my doc. I didn't know this was a potential side effect. No breakthrough bleeding though, so far.

Yeah, my period came 5 days late last month. It's just odd. Still a bit of bleeding today. I think it will be okay.....I didn't know this was a potential side effect either!

#6 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

ID: 442

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:10 AM

Interesting... I read this post yesterday and hadn't experienced this, but alas, today I did! This is the first time I have had spotting...or it could be starting a week ealy, I will have to wait and see. I'm on the pill, though, so I usually gt it on the sugar pills only. I hope its not negating the effects of my pill otherwise, like it not protecting me from pregnancy...I'll have to ask my doc.
Trying to save myself, but my self keeps slipping away...

#7 superrrrkate

superrrrkate

ID: 5836

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

When I first started talking WB it effected my cycle, but now it's back to normal.
"It's better to burn out than to fade away."
-Kurt Cobain

#8 2happy

2happy

ID: 6807

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

This is only my third day on wellbutrin, but I have notice sharp pains in my right ovary. These were not occuring before the wellbutrin. ( Not since before my surgery anyway-1 year ago) I have severe endometriosis and have recently started taking depo provera to stop my periods. From what I have read I am a little concerned that I may spot or bleed or even get a period. I sure hope not...

#9 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

You said you are taking depro provera to stop your periods, have you been taking this for long? And either way, is this about the time you would normally have your period? I've known people taking meds to stop their period that have still had cramps, and other symptoms like if they were having it, only they weren't. Maybe that could be the case? If it continues, I would ask your doctor about it.

My cycle wasn't too effected at first by this med, just when I had 1 or 2 periods that started early...but now I seem to be having reallly *light* periods. I can tell that there is something there, but I never really get heavy flow. Just the 'beginning' and 'end' stuff...except (excuse me for the detail here) after I have sex, then sometimes I will get a bit of heavy flow, but other than that I barely have it. I don't know if I should worry? Or if it will just come and go like this? Anybody have a similar experience?

#10 2happy

2happy

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:25 PM

Yes-I'm trying to stop my periods. I took depot provera for a few years before I had my children. I never had a period while on the depo(woohoo:) Here I am 5 years later going back on it...and not even for the birth control aspect LOL! My endometriosis is really severe and I am trying to postpone a complete hysterectomy till my kids are a little bigger. I have already had a tube and ovary removed along with a huge tumor.

Depo=depression and weight gain for me...this is where the wellbutrin comes in.(plus I am giving up the smokes)..but I am still having the intermittent pain-like you said a period with out the actual period. But I guess it's better than hormone replacement meds at 26.

Thanks for the info.

#11 friendly

friendly

ID: 6800

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

I'm on birth control pills and my period always starts on Thursday or Friday after the last active pill. I'm on my 3rd week of WB and my period came a week early and I'm having very very heavy flow. I read some of the other posts and right now am assuming this must be a side effect. I see my doc next month for my yearly physical/pap so I will give it a mention for sure! Weird!!!

#12 SharonEG

SharonEG

Platinum Member

ID: 302

• Platinum Member
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

I've been on Wellbutrin for 5 years and never had any problems except at first my periods were a bit lighter - pity that didn't stay!!
Sharon

#13 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 05:38 AM

Yeah, I am experiencing the lightness now! It is rather nice...although sometimes I'm a bit paranoid and wonder if I am really having it! But I can tell from my body that I am, so its ok. I'm just paranoid. :)

#14 2happy

2happy

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

Well it has been 26 days for me on the wellbutrin sr. I am also on depot provera. I had been on depot about 5 years ago and never had a period while on this medication. Now, I have had a period in the first month I have gone back on this shot...I am wondering if the wellbutrin has affected this. I am on the shot to stop my cycle-If I still get my period what is the point of the medication...I will have to make the choice of giving up the depot or giving up the wellbutrin if this continues. Any suggestions as to what might be going on? Has anyone had similar experiences?

#15 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

I found that WB had a definite hormonal effect on me, also. However, you might want to give it some more time - sometimes the body adjusts and the side-effects lessen.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#16 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

I would wait a bit and see how it goes, 2happy. In the first few months...well actually I think the first month I was okay, and then the next two periods were screwy for me. I had some spotting which I'd never had before, and then one came a week early, which is wierd because I am on the pill and it ispretty much always predictable...and then I think the next one was a few days late, and then it evened out and now they are pretty light for me, for the most part. So it is definitely a little wierd (not sure why it happens) but it seems like sometimes your body needs a few months or something to get used to the med.

So unless the WB is giving you other problems, I'd wait it out a bit, maybe a month or two even though that seems like a long time, and I feel like it should even out. You can always ask your doctor tho, or even your obgyn.

#17 kelja

kelja

ID: 7025

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:54 PM

I was of those lucky women who had insanely short periods (3-5days... i know! it's amazing). After taking WB for a month my next period was well... longer. In other words, what most women normally experience (5-7days). LOL. I guess I cant complain too much. But it still takes getting used to. :hearts:
and i dont ask, but sometimes *why* is beautiful

#18 care_bear

care_bear

Just Registered

ID: 7559

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

Has anyone noticed a difference in their menstrual cycle or breakthrough bleeding while on Wellbutrin? In all my years I have basically never had breakthrough bleeding, and this is the second cycle and I am not due for a week yet this is the second day I have had some scant bleeding and my ovaries hurt. I am getting irritated with this and wish it would stop.....

I just want you to know that you're not alone, i have been on my period since December 12th 2005, and it hasn't stopped yet!!!
"We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it to the full."- Marcel Proust

#19 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:06 AM

Welcome, care_bear!
You poor thing - I hope you've discussed this with your doc!
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#20 bunnybear

bunnybear

ID: 15404

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:25 PM

I am really worried! I have been on WB for about 3 weeks and my period was suppose to come last weekend and it did for only one day! It is usually about 4 days! I am concerned about pregnancy, but if it is just the WB.? It seems like alot of you have had changes in your cycle while be on this pill... I don't know what to do. :hearts:

#21 atropa

atropa

ID: 15710

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:19 AM

Just to add my .02, I have had this in the past few months. The thing is, I just started WB 2 days ago. For me it is unrelated, and Doc is trying to figure it out. It may or may not be a SE for you, it's worth going to have it checked.

#22 boatpoet

boatpoet

ID: 49297

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:44 PM

I've been on wb for 7 weeks and my period is ten days late so far, and no signs of it coming soon either. We'll see....

#23 Gwenny720

Gwenny720

ID: 53166

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

I've been on WB XL 300 over 7wks now (I started on XL150)
& this past week my menstrual cycle started 2 wks earlier
then it's due date. I've never had a problem with my cycle before so I'm a little concerned with this.
Maybe I should correct myself. Since I've been taking birth control I haven't had a problem with
when I get my menstrual cycle. I do have a lot of side effects when my menstrual period starts
but this time around I feel even more depressed & I missed 2 days of work so far this week.
I'm a little concerned because I thought WB would be working by now but, I think I may
need something to take with it if things don't change soon.
It's officially 51 days that I've been taking WB & with the se I think I've given it as much
as I can. The ups & the downs are really hard but I kept taking it every day.
I know there is no "perfect" cure or pill to make depression just go away but,
if something doesn't start to work soon I will be jobless & without a job I can't
afford my rent or the other bills I have.

#24 ljacques

ljacques

ID: 52847

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

I too have my periods earlier and for a longer time and spotting as well. I have been taking WB for 2 months now. I have an IUD (Mirena) and before Wellbutrin, I no longer had my periods. I'm going to see my Doc just to rule out any other condition but I am sure Wellbutrin has something to do with this. Maybe it causes some hormonal imbalance but I am not an expert ...
GAD and Depression
There's always gonna be another mountain ... It's the climb (Miley Cyrus)

#25 annamaria

annamaria

Just Registered

ID: 56175

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

I stated a few weeks ago on WB SR, and my cycle came a week earlier and is much heavier and more painful. The only change in my routine is WB, so it has to be behind behind it. I'm having a lot of clotting (which I never normally have). and my period, which normally lasts 4-5 days, is now on day 7. I'm thinking of quitting WB because of all this.

#26 Guest_bayosgirl87_*

Guest_bayosgirl87_*

• Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

Wow, and I thought I was the only one! My periods have become slightly irregular, and I'm also spotting. I'm not taking hormonal birth control. Interesting.

#27 krazy12

krazy12

ID: 56650

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

I too have my periods earlier and for a longer time and spotting as well.  I have been taking WB for 2 months now.  I have an IUD (Mirena) and before Wellbutrin, I no longer had my periods. I'm going to see my Doc just to rule out any other condition but I am sure Wellbutrin has something to do with this.  Maybe it causes some hormonal imbalance but I am not an expert ...

I am on the mirena as well.  Was on the wellbutrin sr first but pregnant with no problems during or postpartum.  I recently got on the mirena and for the first three months absolutely hated it due to break thru bleeding and now it seems to be leveling out.  As far as now neither one of them are giving me problems.  I have short medium to light periods now and are the same as before I started either one.  

#28 LA_Woman

LA_Woman

ID: 17357

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:49 AM

I've been on WB for over three years and just switched from 150mg SR twice a day to 300mg XL once daily about two weeks ago. I'm also on NuvaRing and never have strange cycles or breakthrough bleeding. Last week, I did have some random bleeding and didn't think much of it until I saw this thread. Perhaps it's related to the switch in formulation/dosage? I guess I'll let my doc know if it keeps happening.

#29 renface

renface

Just Registered

ID: 57012

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

i just started taking this on the 5th, and my period was due on the 8th. i am on birth control and haven't been off scheduele in years. i have yet to get my period and i'm getting a little nervous. it is now the 11th. i took 3 pregnancy tests, all were negative. but i have no cramping or spotting at all. i called my doctor and she had nothing for me other then "i have never heard of this as a side effect before" and just recommended i test again in 3 days. i cant tell if this caused my birth control not to work, and am getting false negatives.... or if it just has messed up my cycle all together...
am i the only one with this problem? especially being on birth control? and not even taking welbutrin for very long. i am trying not to rush to the gyno in a panic... hoping to find there have been other people with this issue.

#30 fingersdoublecrossed

fingersdoublecrossed

ID: 40525

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:56 AM

I've been on WB for each of my depressive episodes...
I am almost 43 and heavy and so probably estrogen dominant.
First depression: mostly mental Second depression: less mental, more PHYSICAL signs and AWFUL energy levels!! (I know, I'm gettin' OLD!!) oh well!!

Dep. #1. WB was added in 6m after serzone had begun, NO period changes, only GOOD things really, the WB being added in there was AMAZING...and only 17 days later, the positive thoughts etc. began...it started a WONDERFUL domino effect whereby I lost almost all of my weight (100lb)...

Dep #2. WB was added in after trying MANY different meds...this was 5+ years after being TOTALLY OFF antidepressants...after the birth of my son...not PPD but sort of...when my son was several months old I started to 'slip'...
Anyways I was BFing and so I couldn't use WB and tried ALOT of different meds...and then, after my son weaned, I was able to go BACK on WB...seemingly NO changes that I can recall.
At FIRST there seemed to be NO hormonal changes...and then PRISTIQ was added in...I ASKED for another med to AUGMENT it and I'm thinking now that Pristiq MAY have ALMOST ;) put me into menopause ??? My periods became QUITE erratic...
I went OFF the pristiq and have been off for a couple of months...period STILL hasn't come...March-almost August now...
I went from 300-450 mg (1 week ago I began on the 450mg) of WB and TODAY I got my period!!! 8) 5 months (usual cycle is 25/26 days so that's alot of missed periods! 8(
(no WONDER I was feeling more ALIVE the last few days, I had some Progesterone going on there!! 8)

So now I'm left wondering if the WB has somehow NEUTRALIZED the effects & the after effects of the Pristiq/going off the pristiq?

God if only we could GET 'real' medical ANSWERS to all of these QUESTIONS...there's so much SUFFERING!! 8(

Please take CARE ladies...sorry to give you my life story there!!
Julie
Julie: 43; Mom to 2 great kids 7 & 4 1/2; Married to my Lavalife sweetie! 8)

#31 alivenkicking

alivenkicking

Just Registered

ID: 66456

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

hmm..... so to throw in another experience: i never noticed a change in my periods after starting wellbutrin specifically, but at the time (8ish years ago-?) i was very suicidal and nothing was working, so they tried a million different drugs on me, and there was no way to tell what was causing what. i finally had success with wellbutrin, seroquel, klonipin and dialectical behavioral therapy.

i have severe endometriosis (lots of debilitating pain, nausea, fatigue, and a host of GI issues), that was just diagnosed four years ago, have had three surgeries, and am now focusing on the natural approach. my doctor encouraged me to slowly wean off my psychotropics, as they may be messing with my hormones. i had never heard of that as a side effect before, and was surprised to even find this thread. grrrr i get so angry at pharma companies and our dependence on them.

keep on keepin on, ladies

#32 JessakahChristine

JessakahChristine

Just Registered

ID: 83722

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

I've been on Wellbutrin for 2 months now and have only had 1 period. My last cycle started on may 9th and i havent started yet. I had sex once in between those 2 months and we used a condom. I took 2 pregnancy test and they came back negative. Does anyone have any advice as too what can be going on?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)