Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Ed A Possibility From Mirtazapine?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pbanman

pbanman

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

Let me start off by saying Mirtazapine has done wonders for me. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and had at least 2 major episodes of depression.

My depression was so bad that I wasn't able to sleep for a week straight, this happened twice. You can imagine the impact it had on my everyday life, especially at work.

From the first day I started taking Mirtazapine it was a complete 180 degree turn from severe depression. My doctor started me off on 15mg dose but increased it to 30mg after a couple weeks because he wanted to be absolutely sure I had no more signs of depression.

So now i've been on it for almost 4 months and would say I'm not experiencing any side effects but my concern is the possibility of becoming impotent with long term usage.

So far so good but I'm wondering if there's anyone here that has been using it for over a year or few years that can give any insight.

I have no confidence whatsoever that I will be able to come off Mirtazapine anytime soon so this is why I'm asking. Even now if i miss just one dose for one night I immediately have trouble falling asleep and the depressive thoughts start to creep back in.

#2 X-ray

X-ray

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

Let me start off by saying Mirtazapine has done wonders for me. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and had at least 2 major episodes of depression.

My depression was so bad that I wasn't able to sleep for a week straight, this happened twice. You can imagine the impact it had on my everyday life, especially at work.

From the first day I started taking Mirtazapine it was a complete 180 degree turn from severe depression. My doctor started me off on 15mg dose but increased it to 30mg after a couple weeks because he wanted to be absolutely sure I had no more signs of depression.

So now i've been on it for almost 4 months and would say I'm not experiencing any side effects but my concern is the possibility of becoming impotent with long term usage.

So far so good but I'm wondering if there's anyone here that has been using it for over a year or few years that can give any insight.

I have no confidence whatsoever that I will be able to come off Mirtazapine anytime soon so this is why I'm asking. Even now if i miss just one dose for one night I immediately have trouble falling asleep and the depressive thoughts start to creep back in.

Hi,

Mirtazapine is one of few antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction.
You have nothing to worry about as long as you stay on this drug.

Best regards,
X-ray

#3 pbanman

pbanman

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

Thanks X-ray, thats reassuring.

My doctor did mention there was a chance for impotency to occur but if I haven't experienced anything yet, so maybe i'm in the clear...

Edited by pbanman, 27 August 2009 - 02:18 PM.

#4 John223311

John223311

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

Thanks X-ray, thats reassuring.

My doctor did mention there was a chance for impotency to occur but if I haven't experienced anything yet, so maybe i'm in the clear...

I know SSRI's can cause it, but I don't know how common ED is with mirtazapine. I have heard of sexual dysfunction in stories from people on mirtazapine, and I could have sworn I have seen smaller scale studies that show SD with it, but don't know if it included ED.

Edited by John223311, 27 August 2009 - 03:33 PM.

#5 pbanman

pbanman

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

Next time I go in to see my doc I will ask for more details. I don't know what I would do without mirtazapine so I'm really hoping that SD will not occur.

#6 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

Hi pbanman, i have heard and read of less sd but it seems that there are fewer case reported in sd. as far as ed, i have not heard anything about that. when you receive any medication there is normally a description and side affects paper that you should receive when you pick up your prescription. you may talk with your pdoc or to a pharmacist about any question you may have.

If we can't stand alone to help ourselves,
with support we shall stand together
to make the changes and a difference within our lives
and the lives of all for the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users