Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Can Wellbutrin Make You Tired?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 icanhasapretty

icanhasapretty

ID: 39252

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Everyone says that they get energy from it, but I took my first dose yesterday, and continued this morning. Very low dose to start. 75 mg instant release, and now today I can't keep my head up. I feel like I could fall asleep standing up. I'm normally not THIS tired. I also feel like my eyes are tired and overworked. Like when you read for too long or something. But there is no reason for my eyes to hurt. I'm struggling so hard to stay awake. I don't want to take a nap, cause I'm afraid of not being able to go to sleep tonight if I do.
Why is the silence so loud?!!!!!

#2 Aerial

Aerial

ID: 10760

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:22 PM

I hope you'll call your doctor, as soon as you can, to ask about this possible side effect. We all react so differently to medication....you just never know.

Some people have the jitters with Wellbutrin and some people have to wait a few weeks for the med to completey "kick in."

If the med hasn't taken effect it could be the depression causing you to feel tired. Only your doc can tell you for sure, of course.

There are always other meds to try if this one doesn't work out. Keep trying--there is hope for healing!

I'm holding good thoughts for you,
Aerial
Posted ImagePosted Image

"We've been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we've done..."

(Song of Bernadette, lyrics by Leonard Cohen)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." James Taylor

#3 RabbitFood

RabbitFood

ID: 21829

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:05 AM

Definitely let your doctor know the wellbutrin is making you feel that tired.

As for whether it can do that, I saw it doing it to a friend of mine when she was prescribed it. It was bad enough that she had to discontinue taking it at the time. Personally it doesn't give me much energy (about as much as I get from taking an aspirin :( ) but it does make me paranoid and panicky. Despite this it does work well for other people so my experience alone is not a condemnation of that med.

Good luck to you feeling better.

#4 scooterboy

scooterboy

ID: 36111

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:00 AM

Definitely let your doctor know the wellbutrin is making you feel that tired.

As for whether it can do that, I saw it doing it to a friend of mine when she was prescribed it. It was bad enough that she had to discontinue taking it at the time. Personally it doesn't give me much energy (about as much as I get from taking an aspirin :( ) but it does make me paranoid and panicky. Despite this it does work well for other people so my experience alone is not a condemnation of that med.

Good luck to you feeling better.

Does Wellbutrin make most people paranoid, panicky, jittery, and anxious for the duration of the treatment or are those side effects just present during the "start-up" phase? The reason I'm asking is I sure as hell don't want to combine Paxil with Wellbutrin, as my doctor is suggesting to reduce my weight gain and increase my libido, if those kind of side effects are going to be forever present. Not a chance, thank you very much :flowers: I'd rather put up with the extra weight and sexual disfunction :hearts:
  • ZenDarling likes this

#5 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

ID: 532

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

I am now just on Wellbutrin, I think for me it made me a bit tired so I would then have a coffee which raised my anxiety. I need to see how I do without the caffeine because I think I get way too stimulated and then I am all over the place, I can't sit still ... the only good thing is that I get a lot done but I don't want to get a lot done out of the necessity to burn all the energy off. My libido went up a lot when I started taken the 150mg then it leveled out.

Has anyone else had an experience with Wellbutrin and caffeine? Did it make you very wired .. how long till the effect wore off?
  • ZenDarling likes this
The Guy. - Love is patient, love is kind, love never fails.

#6 pokiloki

pokiloki

ID: 32785

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Interesting question...

My Wellbutrin started not to many weeks ago and its leaving me feeling slightly exhausted. Its not just you.

PL
  • ZenDarling likes this

#7 lvgirl

lvgirl

ID: 39614

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

Interesting question...

My Wellbutrin started not to many weeks ago and its leaving me feeling slightly exhausted. Its not just you.

PL

I havve been on 150mg of WB and .50 of Klonopin. The first five days I felt SO drugged up and out of it. I couldn't do a thing. Now, I have much more energy and am focused. I don't like the side effect of the constipation though (also caused by anxiety which WB makes you have) so am looking for another combo this week. Maybe you will feel better in a few days.

:-)
lvgirl
  • ZenDarling likes this

#8 thesnarkyone

thesnarkyone

ID: 127072

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

I am on a very high dose of wellbutirn XR I don't know if I'm a good person to answer this as I suffer from hyper somnolence so I don't know really.

TSO

#9 ZenDarling

ZenDarling

Gold Member

ID: 126795

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

I'm on 150 mg generic Wellbutrin twice daily and it helps my lack of energy due to my multiple illnesses.  It gave me energy even when first started at 150 mg once a day.

• verynicebecky likes this

“I’m here. I love you. I don’t care if you need to stay up crying all night long, I will stay with you. If you need the medication again, go ahead and take it—I will love you through that, as well. If you don’t need the medication, I will love you, too. There’s nothing you can ever do to lose my love. I will protect you until you die, and after your death I will still protect you. I am stronger than Depression and I am braver than Loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me.”

~   Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love  18725.gif

Dx: Refractory* MDD Recurrent, GAD, Panic Attacks, PTSD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia , Ruptured Disks/Disk Disease , Seasonal and Environmental Allergies and GERD with persistent cough (*for 15 years until about 1/7/2015 when I changed anti-depressants to just generic Wellbutrin and no others!). Rx: 150 mg generic Wellbutrin SR b.i.d.., .5 mg generic Ativan b.i.d. p.r.n. panic, 1-2 20 mg Adderall b.i.d. p.r.n. for energy, fibro fog, short- term memory loss, etc., 50 mg generic Tramadol q.i.d. p.r.n. pain, 10 mg generic Compazine b.i.d. p.r.n. nausea, 350 mg generic Soma p.r.n. at night for pain, 150 mg generic Trazodone q. for insomnia, 1-2 50 mg generic Vistiril for insomnia and allergies at bedtime, new GERD, cough and edema meds. .                                                                                                                                                                                                                      .

#10 Bakerlady

Bakerlady

Just Registered

ID: 129464

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hi all! I have kind of a similar problem. I started taking 150mg sertraline about 8 months ago but then I gained 30 pounds, that I could not work off. So my doctor switched me to 300 Wellbutrin about a week and a half ago, I started out with 150 for a couple days (along with a lower dose of sertraline) and now I am on only the wellbutrin and 25mg Trazodone at night. I  have noticed that I am so sleepy in the morning, it is so hard to get up. I just feel lathargic, but then at night I get a small burst of energy. I am confused about this. Am I tired because I still have sertraline in my system? Or what? Any help would be great! thanks!

Ladybaker 

(since I am new they wouldn't let me update my signature, so at the bottom is one of my favorite quotes)

"Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up"

-Robert Frost

• freckledface likes this

#11 freckledface

freckledface

Silver Member

ID: 128067

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:58 AM

Bakerlady,

I'm on 20mg of Lexapro (take at night) and 150mg of Wellbutrin (take in morning) and I'm tired all day long and now it's 1am and I'm wide awake, I am disappointed because I thought the WB would give me energy throughout the day but it hasn't done that yet and I'm almost 3 weeks from when I started it.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can relate to what you're saying.

"We all have the tendency to believe in self-doubt and self-critism, but listening to this voice never gets us closer to our goals. Instead, try on the point of view of a mentor or of a good friend who believes in you, wants the best for you, and will encourage you when you feel discouraged. ~Kelly McGonigal

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
Leo Buscaglia

http://www.depressio...7-freckledface/

#12 jondbca

jondbca

Just Registered

ID: 22114

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:34 AM

Bakerlady,

I'm on 20mg of Lexapro (take at night) and 150mg of Wellbutrin (take in morning) and I'm tired all day long and now it's 1am and I'm wide awake, I am disappointed because I thought the WB would give me energy throughout the day but it hasn't done that yet and I'm almost 3 weeks from when I started it.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can relate to what you're saying.

Hi Freckledface - I'm on the same bit of Lexapro and Wellbutrin and am exhausted all day long...  Has it gotten any better for you?

#13 freckledface

freckledface

Silver Member

ID: 128067

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

Bakerlady,

Hi Freckledface - I'm on the same bit of Lexapro and Wellbutrin and am exhausted all day long...  Has it gotten any better for you?

Hi there,

No it hasn't... I'm going to call my doctor today because if anything it's gotten worse.

"We all have the tendency to believe in self-doubt and self-critism, but listening to this voice never gets us closer to our goals. Instead, try on the point of view of a mentor or of a good friend who believes in you, wants the best for you, and will encourage you when you feel discouraged. ~Kelly McGonigal

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
Leo Buscaglia

http://www.depressio...7-freckledface/

#14 loveleigh

loveleigh

ID: 129533

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

I have found that Wellbutrin makes me pretty tired at night. It seems like it stimulates my brain all day and then at night my mind is tired and ready to sleep. /shrug

It's crazy how medications affect us in such drastically different ways. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users