Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Does Buspar Help Ocd, Or Is It Just For Anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Digging Fool

Digging Fool

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

The reason I ask this question is because I'm thinking of giving up the Buspar for Ativan(I now have both). I take 20mg Lexapro a day and was on 30mg Buspar. If the Buspar has an effect on the ocd, other than for anxiety, then I better stick with it. I'm not supposed to take both(ativan and buspar), according to the pharmacist....Thanks for any input!
I'm going metal detecting. Be back after while............

#2 Digging Fool

Digging Fool

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

I guess nooooobody knows?? :hearts:

#3 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

Your tumbleweed made me laugh!!

I found this pinned topic for you. It does mention that Buspar helps reduce signs of OCD

Buspar
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#4 Digging Fool

Digging Fool

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

Your tumbleweed made me laugh!!

I found this pinned topic for you. It does mention that Buspar helps reduce signs of OCD

Buspar

Thanks!!

#5 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hi Digging Fool,

Yes I agree Buspar is perscribed for OCD and Anxiety. I did not know you could not mix Ativan with Buspar as they are two completely different types of meds.

Check with your Doctor.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#6 Digging Fool

Digging Fool

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hi Digging Fool,

Yes I agree Buspar is perscribed for OCD and Anxiety. I did not know you could not mix Ativan with Buspar as they are two completely different types of meds.

Check with your Doctor.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

I guess the pharmacist thought I might "fade away" with both......I probably need to stick with the Buspar, since I have OCD........Thanks!

#7 Deepster

Deepster

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

Hi Digging Fool,

Check with your Doctor.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

I guess the pharmacist thought I might "fade away" with both......I probably need to stick with the Buspar, since I have OCD........Thanks!

I am just posting to this thread out of curiosity. I have often thought of switching from benzos to buspar, but I have read NO reliable clinical studies that buspar is anything but a placebo. I have read studies that indicate it has worked for SOME people, but I am skeptical. I take a very low dose of klonopin daily, and for about 8 years my low dosage has worked. But, am I either pshycologically or pshyically addicted? My pdoc says that 1/mg per day is not even an issue if I am feeling fine on it.

Again, just curious as to what effect Buspar has had with other people.

Deepster
Posted Image

#8 Digging Fool

Digging Fool

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

Hi Digging Fool,

Check with your Doctor.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

I am just posting to this thread out of curiosity. I have often thought of switching from benzos to buspar, but I have read NO reliable clinical studies that buspar is anything but a placebo. I have read studies that indicate it has worked for SOME people, but I am skeptical. I take a very low dose of klonopin daily, and for about 8 years my low dosage has worked. But, am I either pshycologically or pshyically addicted? My pdoc says that 1/mg per day is not even an issue if I am feeling fine on it.

Again, just curious as to what effect Buspar has had with other people.

Deepster

Do you have OCD?......just curious, as that's what I have....

#9 Deepster

Deepster

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

Nope, no OCD in this "family" of MI challenges!

Deepster
Posted Image

#10 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

I just want to say that I got very addicted to it so make sure you have a good doctor. My doctor gave it out like it was candy unfortunately.

#11 Digging Fool

Digging Fool

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:07 PM

I just want to say that I got very addicted to it so make sure you have a good doctor. My doctor gave it out like it was candy unfortunately.

You got addicted to Buspar?, or Ativan?.....Thanks.

#12 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

I got addicted to buspar. It didn't do anything for me. I just couldn't stop taking as much as I could get. It's because the doctors I had were all terrible. Most of them would just keep giving me more meds every time I talked to them.

#13 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

Buspar is recommended for helping people stop addictions. Both Buspar and Ativan are for anxiety and neither lists OCD as an indication, separate from anxiety. Personally, I found Ativan to have more effect on calming anxiety than buspar, but that's just my own experience. Buspar will produce a more "even" feeling while Ativan will need to be repeated more frequently. Sounds like you need to discuss this with the prescribing doctor.
Iowa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users