Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Digging Fool

Does Buspar Help Ocd, Or Is It Just For Anxiety?

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

The reason I ask this question is because I'm thinking of giving up the Buspar for Ativan(I now have both). I take 20mg Lexapro a day and was on 30mg Buspar. If the Buspar has an effect on the ocd, other than for anxiety, then I better stick with it. I'm not supposed to take both(ativan and buspar), according to the pharmacist....Thanks for any input!

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I guess nooooobody knows?? :hearts:

Posted

Your tumbleweed made me laugh!!

I found this pinned topic for you. It does mention that Buspar helps reduce signs of OCD

Buspar

Posted

Your tumbleweed made me laugh!!

I found this pinned topic for you. It does mention that Buspar helps reduce signs of OCD

Buspar

Thanks!!

Posted

Hi Digging Fool,

Yes I agree Buspar is perscribed for OCD and Anxiety. I did not know you could not mix Ativan with Buspar as they are two completely different types of meds.

Check with your Doctor.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Posted

Hi Digging Fool,

Yes I agree Buspar is perscribed for OCD and Anxiety. I did not know you could not mix Ativan with Buspar as they are two completely different types of meds.

Check with your Doctor.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

I guess the pharmacist thought I might "fade away" with both......I probably need to stick with the Buspar, since I have OCD........Thanks!

Posted

Hi Digging Fool,

Check with your Doctor.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

I guess the pharmacist thought I might "fade away" with both......I probably need to stick with the Buspar, since I have OCD........Thanks!

I am just posting to this thread out of curiosity. I have often thought of switching from benzos to buspar, but I have read NO reliable clinical studies that buspar is anything but a placebo. I have read studies that indicate it has worked for SOME people, but I am skeptical. I take a very low dose of klonopin daily, and for about 8 years my low dosage has worked. But, am I either pshycologically or pshyically addicted? My pdoc says that 1/mg per day is not even an issue if I am feeling fine on it.

Again, just curious as to what effect Buspar has had with other people.

Deepster

Posted

Hi Digging Fool,

Check with your Doctor.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

I am just posting to this thread out of curiosity. I have often thought of switching from benzos to buspar, but I have read NO reliable clinical studies that buspar is anything but a placebo. I have read studies that indicate it has worked for SOME people, but I am skeptical. I take a very low dose of klonopin daily, and for about 8 years my low dosage has worked. But, am I either pshycologically or pshyically addicted? My pdoc says that 1/mg per day is not even an issue if I am feeling fine on it.

Again, just curious as to what effect Buspar has had with other people.

Deepster

Do you have OCD?......just curious, as that's what I have....

Posted

Nope, no OCD in this "family" of MI challenges!

Deepster

Posted

I just want to say that I got very addicted to it so make sure you have a good doctor. My doctor gave it out like it was candy unfortunately.

Posted

I just want to say that I got very addicted to it so make sure you have a good doctor. My doctor gave it out like it was candy unfortunately.

You got addicted to Buspar?, or Ativan?.....Thanks.

Posted

I got addicted to buspar. It didn't do anything for me. I just couldn't stop taking as much as I could get. It's because the doctors I had were all terrible. Most of them would just keep giving me more meds every time I talked to them.

Posted

Buspar is recommended for helping people stop addictions. Both Buspar and Ativan are for anxiety and neither lists OCD as an indication, separate from anxiety. Personally, I found Ativan to have more effect on calming anxiety than buspar, but that's just my own experience. Buspar will produce a more "even" feeling while Ativan will need to be repeated more frequently. Sounds like you need to discuss this with the prescribing doctor.

Iowa

Posted

I know this is an old post, but has anyone else found that buspar helps with OCD?