Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Tips: If You Need Immediate Depression Relief

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 in70x

in70x

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

Hello, I will start by saying now that I am not a Psychiatrist or even a Psychologist. I currently attend Penn State University and study Computer Science and Engineering. However like most on this forum I suffer from a "Triad" of mental illnesses. I have OCD,ADD, and very mild Tics. I did go through a long period of depression because I was misdiagnosed and this and that, so I know what a lot of what people describe here are feeling, at one point I was even suicidal. I do however have an interest in Psychology (and philosophy which is strongly related in ways) as a side hobby, and I think I can offer some tips if you are feeling depressed at this moment right now!

First let me start by saying something. There is no magical pill out there that will make you all better in a flash, its just not reality. A good way to treat depression is with medication and psychotherapy. With that being said this is a list of things that help me when I am feeling down, even very down at some times.

1. Put on inspiring music (I know the next part sounds weird) then run up and down your steps or jog out side as hard and fast as
you can while listening to the music and absorbing its content. Doing this releases endorphins and can be very helpful!

2. Embrace the times you are down, when you are depressed and sad that's how you know you are living!!!! Even the happiest people in the world are depressed sometimes, and anxious as well. Learn to embrace and even look forward to new moments where you could experience some sadness. There is a saying that goes "If everyone in the room is an expert, then no one in the room is an expert." This applies to depression and happiness because I always say "If every one is happy all the time, then no one is happy ever." As paradoxical as it may sound, being depressed can be positive in doses, it lets you know that you are experiencing a different moment and thus are still very much a human being. Only robots are incapable of emotion, and that would probably suck.

3. Some of the greatest people in the world have done great things with their mental illnesses, keep this in mind. For example: Leonardo Da Vinci clearly was Bi-Polar and his ideas were far ahead of his time. Nikola Tesla a famous mathematical genius and electrical engineer suffered from OCD, and his over analytical mind helped him do his work! There is a whole laundry list of them google if you do not believe me. So the bottom line is think of your illness as a type of advantage ;-) *NOTE* A lot of mathematicians suffer from psychotic illnesses like this, sometimes TOO much thinking can drive you nuts!

4. Talk! Speak out and you will find a lot more people than you think experience what you do at times as well. I like to try to help people who have problems because I learn just from teaching and informing others as well. Give it a try.

5. Accept your depression literally. Say to yourself "Wow, I am very depressed right now." Once you know you're depressed, dawn on it no longer! Keep trying to be active and do things, sort of ignore your depression, it will help take your mind of it and lift your mood. More importantly you will stop wasting time self loathing and actually living.

6. This is a biggie for me especially. LIVE IN THE MOMENT! It is not good to think of the future all the time, you are where you are right now so handle whats in front of you first and have some fun. Just do it, don't even think about it. Go out and live!

These small things work for me, perhaps they are worth a go for others as well. Also here are some pretty obvious things of what NOT to do if very depressed at the moment:

1. Turn to drugs or other temporary mood lifting substances, what goes up must come down, and coming down hurts! Life if not
euphoria, if it were, we would be not be where we are living wise today, and euphoria would not exist in the first place.

2. Do not try to self medicate with your prescription meds from the doc. Take them as prescribed, and report anything you notice to the doctor asap, let him make the decisions based on what you experience, and make sure your doctor is a good one and you feel as if you are working with each other, not against.

3. Think about suicide. This is the cowards way out, plus think of all the others you will hurt by doing so. You may **** yourself and not even realize you could have done something great and drastic in the future, stick around and see what happens, its half the fun in life!
If you are feeling very over the edge, seek help immediately though!

Well this is all I have to offer, now go out and live.

#2 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:23 AM

Hi in70x

That's really kind of you to share what works for you. Sometimes it's hard to think of what you can do to help yourself so having lists like this can be really helpful.
The talking part I think is a great idea. I come on here when i'm really struggling and it always helps a bit to hear from others who understand.
I sometimes find listening to music makes me feel worse but I definitely think the physical exercise can help, especially if you're anxious too.

Thanks for sharing!

PRT xx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#3 OceanBreeze9721

OceanBreeze9721

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hi, I haven't posted in a long time and happened to read this post first. I thought it was great advice. The one about the stairs, way back in my "happy days" I would put on my walkman. :hearts: ..lol and play my favorite tape, and exercise by walking on the balcony and up and down the stairs. I wonder if that had anything to do with the reasons behind my believing those were my happiest days. Very Interesting. Well, I just got updated to an MP3 player and I plan on using it a lot more, too bad I don't live on the second story anymore.

Ocean

Don't let your emotions be in control of you.  You be in control of your emotions.

When worry thoughts come up, ask if it is something that I can let go of.  Is it something I have to worry about or can I let it go.  Count backwards from ten and let it go.

To not feel awkward in social situations, act interested in others and it will ease some of the anxieties.

Breathe relax and regroup even if for a few seconds.

Balance down time with activities and exercise. Not too much sleep and not too much exercise.

Set realistic goals and check them once in a while.

Don't let only negative thoughts be the ones to focus on, focus on the good things, even if only a few.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users