Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Ladies!! Best Birth Control For Depression?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 tkirkpsu99

tkirkpsu99

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

I am currently using the nuvaring and LOVE the convenience, but am trying to eliminate anything that could be adding to my depression.

I'm reading up on various pill and apparently low estrogen pills are supposed to cause less depression. Also, there is the Paraguard IUD that has no hormones.

What have you guys tried and had success with?

#2 Guest_CH1980_*

Guest_CH1980_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:21 AM

As far as birth control, I think there is something odd with the IUD (intrauterine device).

If you go to the americanpregnancy official website, they can give you a break-down of what it is.

It lowered my sex drive (my ex-husband used to joke that the reason the IUD works so well is because I didn't ever want to have sex; it was funny, but it hurt because I also didn't want to have sex because I was dealing with emerging memories of past sexual abuse). I think it might have messed up my hormones or chemicals, too. I will never go back to it.

I'm currently on birth control pills, even though I don't have sex. I'm just so sick of getting a period that I was drawn to these pills where you only get a period once every 3 months (that's heaven to me!). I feel happier, but then again there are many reasons for me feeling happier: I'm not in an unhealthy relationship anymore, and I've been working hard at figuring out who I am and dealing with my problems. But a small part may also be because I got rid of the IUD (it's hard to tell).

#3 shizuku

shizuku

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:17 PM

Oh this is something that has been affecting me for years! I have been on six different combined pills and they have all been awful. The one I am on now is really good, it has different levels of hormones for each week to match the hormones that are naturally in your cycle at these times. It's called Trinovum, it's not a very well known one but certainly ask your doctor about it. Obviously, I'm not a doctor, but it's working really well for me.
That's life. If nothing else, it's life. It's real, and sometimes it hurts, but it's sort of all we have.

Life is not about braving the storm, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy, and how you ended up knowing which colours went together. We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.

Posted Image

#4 tkirkpsu99

tkirkpsu99

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

I've read that triphasil pills can actually exacerbate depression. The only one i've read about that seems to be ok is Yaz???

Still wondering if doing the "no hormone" things is going to be best for me....

#5 shizuku

shizuku

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Yasmin was awful for me, I was a mess!! Everyone is different though so this is just my personal experience. The other one like the Trinovum I tried was Trinordial but there was a manufacturing issue with it so I couldn't get it any more.
That's life. If nothing else, it's life. It's real, and sometimes it hurts, but it's sort of all we have.

Life is not about braving the storm, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy, and how you ended up knowing which colours went together. We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.

Posted Image

#6 tkirkpsu99

tkirkpsu99

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

Sounds like it's going to be the same thing as finding a good ADK!! What works for you will suck for me, and vice versa.... : p YUCK!

Having enough trouble getting my meds sorted out. Don't need/want to through another variable into the equation.

Think I'll just give the Paragard a shot.... The insertion is supposed to be unpleasant and periods can be heavier, but....?? Least I'll be able to rule our hormones (at least the female ones....)

#7 icanhasapretty

icanhasapretty

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

I'm on Yasmine and it has been the best one for me hormonally. It has not changed my depression for better or worse, and it is the only one that has put a dent in my adult hormonal acne (THAT helped my depression because I get depressed over my face when I break out.) Also have noticed slightly less unwanted hair. My doctor told me that it works best for women with higher testosterone levels. Consult with your doctor, and tell them what your goals are for BC. They should know what one is right for you. Maybe ask them to do a blood test to see what your hormones are doing now, so you can see what needs to be fixed, or at least what needs to be avoided from irritating.
Why is the silence so loud?!!!!!

#8 divastrop

divastrop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:03 PM

i am in the Uk so things will have all different names,but i had the same issue in that any contraceptive which affected my hormones in any way caused me endless problems with my mood etc.

i have an IUD now,its been over 2 years and its great.i had an IUS fitted at first after i had my last baby(the mirena which is the one with the hormones in,which i was told were not enough to have any effect they were just there to make my periods a bit lighter....erm,no,it was 3 weeks of hell!),but got it removed and had a normal IUD put in(no hormones).it didnt hurt,just a little uncomfortable,and it hasnt affected how heavy my periods are,they were just a day longer for the first few months,now they are fine.

i wont take the pill as i had so many problems with it back when i was in my late teens,and the injection...that was the worst,when i had that i gained so much weight and was so depressed it was the closest i ever came to being admitted to the psychiatric ward!

i will be sticking with the IUD now,and it will be replaced every 5 years untill such time as mother nature decides i am to have no more children!
take a deep breath,and SCREAM!

#9 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:23 PM

I am currently using the nuvaring and LOVE the convenience, but am trying to eliminate anything that could be adding to my depression.

I'm reading up on various pill and apparently low estrogen pills are supposed to cause less depression. Also, there is the Paraguard IUD that has no hormones.

I have tried a couple of low estrogen pills and found them all terrible. I'm not using any pill or anything at the moment which isn't great but they all make me feel terrible. I'm going to try a progesterone only one I think in the vain hope that'll help!
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#10 Aerial

Aerial

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

I have tried a couple of low estrogen pills and found them all terrible. I'm not using any pill or anything at the moment which isn't great but they all make me feel terrible. I'm going to try a progesterone only one I think in the vain hope that'll help!

My daughter had the same problems with the low estrogen pills, then she had problems with the nuva ring, too. (IUD's always scared me.) Hormones have so much to do with moods--so, with depression, it's bound to be hard to find the right birth control. Of course, there are the "barrier" methods. I wonder if anyone uses the diaphram these days? I used one for years--it was very effective but, the physical gymnastics required for use were a real bother! Now, I can boast the freedom and pleasures of being post menopausal....it's a great relief!
Posted ImagePosted Image

"We've been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we've done..."

(Song of Bernadette, lyrics by Leonard Cohen)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." James Taylor

#11 Princessrolo

Princessrolo

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

I am having my IUD taken out very soon! I only had light periods before but now they are terrible! I think that factor has made my PMT/S much, much worse!

I have the copper IUD fitted (Without hormones) the doctors are adament that this cannot cause even slight hormonal changes, I find this hard to believe considering how heavy my periods now are and how bad my PMT/S has become since I had it fitted.

It is good in the sense that once it is fitted, you dont have to worry! And I will miss that aspect of it. I would investigate it further as you may have better luck then I have! I have had one for five years and in fairness I have only been having problems with it for about the last two years.

Good luck! X

#12 tkirkpsu99

tkirkpsu99

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

I am definitely having second thoughts about the IUD as it's "kind of" permanent (I can't take it out). Due to menstral migranes, I have been skipping periods (leaving nuva ring in for four wks, then inserting a new one). Occassionally (every 3-4 mo or so) I'll spot, so I'll have a period, then start skipping again. Kind of like Seasonale....

I truly am horrified about having heavy, long, painful period every mo, and am wondering if the inconvenience of that will outweight the benefit of eliminating hormones from my body.

I had my meds adjusted 3 wks ago and am beginning to feel better :flowers:

I'm thinking of trying Yasmin, or something similar (with a different and lower dose of progestin) - seeing how that goes - then decide: Yasmin, Nuvaring, IUD....??

I am a bit concerned about going back on the pill (b/c of human error), but I figure I manage to take my meds at the same time everyday, why can't I remember the pill :hearts:

Oh, the pleasures of being a woman

#13 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:12 AM

My friend has depression and was having trouble losing weight. The doc thought it may be a hormonal thing and gave her the Progesterone only pill. She's started taking it and has said that she's starting to feel better and the weight is starting to come off too so may be something to think about.

#14 Guest_saturnish_*

Guest_saturnish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

I took Yaz for quite awhile, and I loved it. It lightened my periods, made me feel better, and NO CRAMPS! I had to stop taking it though, cause my insurance wouldn't cover it and it was very expensive. I have a friend who about went crazy taking Yaz, so her doctor switched her to Yasmin, and she loves it. She's been taking it for a very long time. I've heard a lot of people say that both have very terrible side-effects, so take with caution. It actually worked for me though, so I'm a believer.

#15 bittermuse

bittermuse

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

I have only had one experience with birth control and that was at the beginning of this year. I decided to start taking yaz to regulate my periods, reduce my acne, and I was beginning what seemed to be a "promising" relationship. Before I started taking Yaz I had my depression completely under control, so I wasn't worried about any interactions or how yaz would effect me. The month and a half I was on yaz (and the six weeks I was off it before my period came) was the worst point in my life, and the worst my depression has ever been. I went to see my therapist at school, and she said that depressive symptoms were something she saw quite frequently with people taking yaz (whether or not they had a history of depression or not didn't seem to matter.) I was miserable, and really, truly, hopeless. My relationship ended shortly after I started taking the pill, but I never realized the correlation at the time. I gained weight, my boobs got bigger, acne cleared up, and I didn't want to be around anyone. The whole experience was so frightening that I doubt I'll ever take birth control again. It really transformed me, and I became a person I never want to be ever again.

#16 tkirkpsu99

tkirkpsu99

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:54 PM

I decided to stay on the Nuvaring. My dr told me that it has fairly low hormone levels compared with the oral BCP.

#17 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:13 AM

Just as an update - I've started Cerazette, which is the progesterone only pill that you don't have to take within the 3 hour window. It appears to be fine for my depression which is good, although for the last week or so, I have had constant bleeding and also get some cramps. I'm not sure whether it's stopping me from losing weight as well. I may have to stop it because of the side-effects but not everyone gets those - and for depression, it seems MUCH better than the combined pill.

#18 dubs

dubs

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

My depression is very easily impacted by hormones. I went on the mini-pill for a week after my son was born, and it was the first time I ever crossed into the suicidal category.

I was on the paragard (copper IUD) for about 4 months. Insertion was fine, and I never noticed any changes to my mood or any physical symptoms. I'm a big fan of the "set it & forget it" birth control. I'll go back to it after we've had our second child (whenever I get the guts to try again)

#19 BGG

BGG

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:04 AM

I started with Alesse and have been switching birth control to different types for the past five years or more … I started crying or just being sad for no reason when I started birth control. It definitely has an impact on my mood. The only way I put two and two together, was when my mom told me she couldn’t take birth control because it messed with her moods. I must have inherited that lucky gene ;) I didn’t want to go off the pill so did research. I found many studies showing that birth control, the most common types currently on the market (low does combination pills), and cause vitamin depletion. Some of the depleted vitamins are not in common multi-vitamins. These vitamins are some of the most important in your body... those used by your brain to create serotonin and dopamine - mood regulators. Crazy stuff! It's really sad because some people have to take birth control to regulate their hormones because of endometriosis or some older women when they are going through menopause...

A nutritional vitamin I found that really helps this is called “the pill pill” - "Please PM Member for Link"

I could not believe more people do not know about this. It should be common knowledge and I'm sure some day it will be.

#20 BGG

BGG

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:07 AM

I started with Alesse and have been switching birth control to different types for the past five years or more … I started crying or just being sad for no reason when I started birth control. It definitely has an impact on my mood. The only way I put two and two together, was when my mom told me she couldn’t take birth control because it messed with her moods. I must have inherited that lucky gene ;) I didn’t want to go off the pill so did research. I found many studies showing that birth control, the most common types currently on the market (low does combination pills), and cause vitamin depletion. Some of the depleted vitamins are not in common multi-vitamins. These vitamins are some of the most important in your body... those used by your brain to create serotonin and dopamine - mood regulators. Crazy stuff! It's really sad because some people have to take birth control to regulate their hormones because of endometriosis or some older women when they are going through menopause...

A nutritional vitamin I found that really helps this is called “the pill pill” - www.thepillpill.com

I could not believe more people do not know about this. It should be common knowledge and I'm sure some day it will be.

I also found this on another page which I thought was very herlpfull -

I am not an official "Google Answers" representative, but I do have an
M.D. and am finishing my firther study PhD in haematology,
microbiology and immunology. I finished my MD at Melbourne University
in Australia, am a member of AIMS and finishing my fellowship at the
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. I'll give you some advice
based on my knowledge in pharmacology, but bear in mind this should
never replace a physician's consultation.

Lutera (Ethinyl Estradiol/Levonorgestrel mixture) is a drug which acts
as birth control by releasing the hormones Estrogen and Progesterone
into your body at concentrations which block ovulations. Put simply,
they "trick" your body into thinking it's pregnant already and so you
don't ovulate, therefore won't get pregnant after unprotetced sex.

Of course, as probably explained to you by your doctor,
pharmacologically messing about with hormone levels comes with obvious
risks, especially in women, whose major autonomic and peripheral
functions are bound to hormone action. Lutera does come severe and
mild side-effects with FDA approval. The more severe effects include:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your
throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- a blood clot in the lung (shortness of breath or pain in the chest);
- a blood clot in an arm or leg (pain, redness, swelling, or
numbness of an arm or leg);
- high blood pressure (severe headache, flushing, blurred vision); or
- liver damage (yellowing of the skin or eyes, nausea, abdominal
pain or discomfort, unusual bleeding or bruising, severe fatigue).

And the mild, non-threatening effects include:
• depression,
• changes in weight or appetite,
• vaginal yeast infection,
• changes in your menstrual cycle,
• oily skin or acné,
• changes in your sex drive,
• lethargy or fatigue,
• bloating,
• changes in your skin color, or
• changes in your blood sugar.

Of those you experienced, depression, is the most common and shouldn't
be enormously detremental to your body. It mainly pops up in women who
already have a tendancy to be emotional, but regularly in those who
have been long-time veterans of the pill. If your doctor knows about
this, and it doesn't effect you all too much, you should be able to
continue the drug course. But if you feel that it is interrupting your
life, then other alternatives should be sought.

Many alternatives exist, but unfortunately if you don't search outside
of the BC umbrealla, you will have these recurring symptoms. Birth
control pills work pretty much the same way accross the board with a
few exceptions and so depression is a side-effect of 99% of them.
Alternatives to BC pills you could try include the diaphragm, the
morning after pill, condoms, male birth control (if your partner is
willing). More radical options are of course an IUD, hysterectomy,
withdrawal and others.

In conclusion, what your doctor has instructed you to do is, in my
opinion, the correct course of action if the depression has really
gotten to you. There are however some journals I've read discussing
new-generation Progesterone-Only contraceptives. These are
considerably less reliable, but mood changes are rarer in these.
Discuss it with your doctor, to weigh up the pros and cons. You might
have to just suck it up and go with mechanical contraception.

#21 kayeselle

kayeselle

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Be careful of the Yaz/Yasmin pill. It caused a blood clot in my good friend (non-smoker, age 22, no other risk factors) and she nearly died.

I refuse to go on hormonal BC because I am terrifed of what the hormones would do to my mental state. The only BC we have ever used are condoms and basal body temperature charting.

Though You have made me see troubles, many and bitter, You will restore my life again; from the depths of the Earth, You will again bring me up."
~Psalm 71:20 (NIV)

#22 tkirkpsu99

tkirkpsu99

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

I just started Lamictal so decided to go off hormonal BC. I have a Paraguard IUD inserted last wk. Not a pleasant experience, but it's over and I'm good for 10 yrs.

#23 SweetCore

SweetCore

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:32 AM

I was on Yasmine and I had no problems regarding my depression. However after two years I stopped getting my period completely so I got switched to Microgynon 30 (comes also as Microgynon 20, 40 and 50). The first one or two months I did notice my mood was a bit more unstable but not dramatically and I am sure they were due to my body getting used to a new pill and once it did the side effects went away. The only unexplained side effect is I get sits all over my face in the week I don't take the pill. Strange

#24 TwilightZephyr

TwilightZephyr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

I take Aviane and I like it. It doesn't seem to bad. I took ortho-tricyclin before and it was aweful as far as my depression went. I have also used the nuva ring and that wasn't bad on my depression either.

Aviane was recommended to me because I told the nurse I had issues with past birth control and depression. I am also on an AD now and I wasn't before.

#25 PorcelainDoll

PorcelainDoll

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

Hey, does anyone know how likely your hormones are to balance out if you go off hormonal birth control? Or will they get worse/go back to how they were before you started using birth control? Right now I am using the nuvaring and it's the best so far (I've tried Tricyclen, Tricyclen-Lo, and something else that I can't remember the name of but starts with a 'M'). I wonder if the Nuvaring or my depression is causing my mood swings.. or both. Posted Image

#26 PorcelainDoll

PorcelainDoll

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

Yaz and NuvaRing seemed to make my depression worse. I'm off all of it for now to try and let me hormones go back to normal.

I guess this is an update on my previous post…. lol.

Edited by PorcelainDoll, 23 June 2011 - 10:58 PM.

#27 coquin

coquin

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

Orthotricyclen definitely helped my PMS, especially my irratibility, hot temper and mild paranoia.

#28 mbird

mbird

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:16 AM

I've had a Mirena (hormonal) IUD for about 6 months now and I LOVE it.

It hasn't been a problem with my migraines or depression, cramping went away in about 3 weeks and hasn't come back, I have a much lighter and less frequent period. I know I'm protected as well as I can be and it was much less expensive over 5 years than continuing with the pill would be. And my libido has actually increased.

Everyone's different, there's also the copper IUD which isn't hormonal, maybe some have better luck with that? Otherwise, I know some friends love the nuvaring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users