Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Does Recovery From Vitamin D Deficiency Take?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisG

ChrisG

ID: 38665

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

A month ago I saw my doctor about some mood symptoms I was having at the time. A subsquent blood test showed that I had a Vitamin D (25 OH) insufficiency (23 units when the normal range is 32-100). I started taking Vitamin D supplements regularly. My mood symptoms did go away, but have come back in the past week.

How long does it normally take to cure a Vitamin D deficiency? I'm trying to figure out if the Vitamin D hasn't fully kicked in yet, or if maybe something other than Vitamin D deficiency is causing my symptoms.

Thanks,

Chris

#2 optimistsheaven

optimistsheaven

ID: 39598

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hm, i was having weird emotions too, then the blood test came back saying i have vitamin d deficiency. it has beena month, just like with you. I've gotten better since taking the supplements, but before i got any better i got a lot worse (its just been fluctuating like crazy...). i dont really think what i am feeling has anything to do with vitamin D, but who knows. :hearts: I wish I could help you more. I just thought I'd post since I went through the same thing as you (even though my weird emotions were not the same as what you described in your other post)

#3 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

Vitamin D is different from all other vitamins because we get some Vitamin D from the sun and metabolizing it takes a few steps. If the body is not metabolizing it properly, a deficiency can result. Because a person may be getting varying amounts of Vitamin D from the sun (which is metabolized differently than Vitamin D from food sources or suppliments), how long it takes to build up or deplete will vary. That being said, Vitamin D from food or suppliments have a half-life of 20-30 days, therefore a month should be plenty of time to build up in the system.
Warning. Vitamin D is fat soluable and stored in the fat cells. Excess amounts are not eliminated from your body. Toxicity and overdose can happen over time if too much is taken on a daily basis. The upper limit (amount you should never exceed taking) is currently set at 10,000 IU/day. Therefore, if taking the suppliment makes you feel better, be careful not to increase your daily intake above 10,000.
I haven't seem anything that would indicate that taking the suppliments would make one feel worse before feeling better.
Iowa

#4 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:09 AM

Hi and Welcome ChrisG

Vitamin D can also come from sunshine. Talk to your doc, but perhaps spending 30 minutes a day in the sun can help boost your vitamin D levels.
Also there are certain light treatments that can boost your vitamin D levels, also talk to your doc about this.
Do you feel more depressed when it is colder and there is less light?

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#5 mimsy

mimsy

Advanced Member

ID: 22857

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:01 AM

Hi Chris ~ Not sure if this will help much, but just my 2 cents. I had/have(?) vit. D deficiency, and at the time I was taking ADs. I just finished the mega therapy of 50,000 IUs per week for 8 weeks and now need to get my blood retested.

At first I think I did notice a change in that I did feel my mood was more stable, but now I don't know. BUT, I chose to stop ADs at the same time, AND I have a lot of other triggering stuff going on for me now, so of course now I can't really say whether the vit D helped or not. At the moment, I'm depressed as hell, but there are extenuating circumstances involved, that would make anyone depressed.....and I haven't gotten my blood retested since the Rx vit D, so I don't know if I'm still deficient or what.

So, in short, I don't know, but I was/am very optimistic about it. Right now, I do think it makes a difference, but maybe not as much as I'd hoped. Which is typical for any treatment for depression symptoms, probably.

For me though, whether it was placebo effect or whatever, I did feel like it had an effect very shortly after I started taking it. But I was/am also replacing vit D at the same time I was getting off of ADs. So, hard to say.......

I do hope you share your experience, though, as I'm very interested.

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

ID: 38665

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Special thanks to iowa for giving the scientific perspective. I'll keep you all posted.

Chris

#7 Jimy blue

Jimy blue

Just Registered

ID: 49445

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

Hi Chris ~ Not sure if this will help much, but just my 2 cents. I had/have(?) vit. D deficiency, and at the time I was taking ADs. I just finished the mega therapy of 50,000 IUs per week for 8 weeks and now need to get my blood retested.

At first I think I did notice a change in that I did feel my mood was more stable, but now I don't know. BUT, I chose to stop ADs at the same time, AND I have a lot of other triggering stuff going on for me now, so of course now I can't really say whether the vit D helped or not. At the moment, I'm depressed as hell, but there are extenuating circumstances involved, that would make anyone depressed.....and I haven't gotten my blood retested since the Rx vit D, so I don't know if I'm still deficient or what.

So, in short, I don't know, but I was/am very optimistic about it. Right now, I do think it makes a difference, but maybe not as much as I'd hoped. Which is typical for any treatment for depression symptoms, probably.

For me though, whether it was placebo effect or whatever, I did feel like it had an effect very shortly after I started taking it. But I was/am also replacing vit D at the same time I was getting off of ADs. So, hard to say.......

How much vitamin D does the average person need? In the summer, those with at least 15 minutes of sun exposure on their skin most days should take around 1,000 I.U.s of vitamin D3 each day. In the winter, those with dark skin, or those who have little sun exposure on their skin, should take up to 2,000-4,000 I.U.s each day. Those who have darker skin, are older, avoid sun exposure or live in the northern US should take the higher amounts, around 2,000 I.U.ís a day.
Vitamin D is remarkably safe; there have been no deaths caused by the vitamin. You can check it out in Wikipedia.

#8 Jimy blue

Jimy blue

Just Registered

ID: 49445

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

How much vitamin D does the average person need? In the summer, those with at least 15 minutes of sun exposure on their skin most days should take around 1,000 I.U.s of vitamin D3 each day. In the winter, those with dark skin, or those who have little sun exposure on their skin, should take up to 2,000-4,000 I.U.s each day. Those who have darker skin, are older, avoid sun exposure or live in the northern US should take the higher amounts, around 2,000 I.U.ís a day.
Vitamin D is remarkably safe; there have been no deaths caused by the vitamin. You can check it out in Wikipedia.

Many people have no symptoms of vitamin D deficiency until complications are present. Symptoms may also be mild.

#9 babynana

babynana

Just Registered

ID: 84929

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

hi i am new at this website and forgive me if i am adding a bit of my problem, i just don't have time and i don't know how to use this web but this page is similar to my problem
i just wanted to know if i should stop taking the tablets because it caused an effect on my hip joint .

i have been having vitamin d tablets because it was very low about (19) and i was meant to be around (60-70) i started takeing the medicine for 5 days and i already ended up having a pain in my left hip joint which made it difficult for me to walk properly
i want to know why and should i stop taking the medicine?
thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users