Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Prozac = No Motivation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 kassiegal

kassiegal

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

Hi all
I have been on Prozac now for over 8 weeks.
I am 46 and take 20mg a day......not bad side efffects at all
I am mostly being treated for GAD, social anxiety and depression
the thing is...I am bored...I have no job anymore as I got laid off...I live on a farm in a small town...with nothing to do
Is my reason for not having any motivation due to boredom..and not doing anything.....or do I need an increase in Prozac..
I feel it has worked for the depression....
I also suffer from TMJ and Fibro...when stressed...and Maybe this lying around all day...doing nothing..some days I dont even get dressed....what for..nothing to do...
I think maybe too..that the fibro and tmj may be what is making me lazy...or is it the other way around
I want to do things...but just nothing to do....
please any advice would be great....Im lost here...

#2 freda123

freda123

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

The fact that you want to do someting is a good sign, what about college course etc. Ive been on prozac for 10 weeks 40mg i feel like Im getting there slowly

#3 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hi kassiegal,

To me, it sounds like a combination of old depressive habits ( depression is clever that way) and having nothing to do to motivate you . This is a problem for a lot of people, and I felt that way at one stage in my depression.

From my perspective the best way forward is to find something to do that you would love doing. Sit down with a pen and paper and think of all the things you could and would love to do with your time. You will be amazed at what you come up with, a hobby, lost activities, doing voluntary work, helping out at the local hospital etc.

One you find some tasks that attrack you then generate the motivation to go and see what opportunities there are for you. It does become a habit pattern to do nothing, it is a loop you get into with depression, and those habits creep back in when you feel you have nothing better to do.

So it is get on your bike really and see what you can offer your local community - you will feel much better for it.

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery

JimBow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#4 kassiegal

kassiegal

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

The fact that you want to do someting is a good sign, what about college course etc. Ive been on prozac for 10 weeks 40mg i feel like Im getting there slowly

college course...I would like to take a photography course..I love taking pictures...
WOW..You are on 40 at 10 weeks...so maybe there is still hope for me....on 20mgs for jut over 8 weeks..and slowly getting there...I think..
I am going to see about an increase in my dosage ...see what my doc says in two weeks...
But you see...where I live...it is so small....there is no volunteer programs...nothing to do...

#5 kassiegal

kassiegal

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

Thank You Jimbow
..your ideas are all good...and I know I need to do something
the things is with me now...when I think of doing anything...my anxietys come into play...its like a vicious cirlce with me
then I take .05 ativan...which i hate taking....
but so many things I feel like doing...and I actually get excited about doing it....and when I actually get out and do it..I feel good....its just getting me out of this rutt....to go do it...
But i know laying around....is not helping my fibromyalgia or TMj...it has made it flare up...the more I lay around the worse it feels...;then the motivation is gone again.
I know I need to break this circle....but .....lol...I need the motivation to do it...
....just one big cirlce...LOL
but thank you both for your advice...I appreciate it..and I will try and get myself motivated with something...
xo

#6 freda123

freda123

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

I know what you mean about lack of motivation, at my worst I used to ring in sick because I felt like I couldnt face the day, I used to unplug my phone and make excuses not to meet with friends e.t.c some days I still struggle with my ocd tendencies and bdd but prozac is gradually helping me, my doc might be putting me up to 60mg as she told me I was probably suffering from severe depression for about twenty years but didnt know it even when I attempted suicide in my twenties I just thougght it was something I could snap out of. I had this compulsion to cut my hair when I got really stressed about something and it wasnt until i looked on here that Irealised i wasnt the only one doing it its under the title of Compulsice Haircutting. I havnt cut my hair for weeks now which I can only put down to the prozac as I have never gone this long without cutting.

#7 zorziana

zorziana

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

I've been wondering about prozac and motivation....

I'm on fluoxetine for a second time. I've been back on it for about 8 months and find myself in a horrible rut of no motivation -- avoiding work and the few friends and responsibilities I have left. It seems to me that the same sort of thing happened 5 years or so ago when I was last on prozac -- that at a certain point I just got completely numb and stopped functioning or caring. I can't tell, though, if it's the med or if it's me. I'm definitely not doing myself any favors in terms of self-care.

My pdoc slightly upped the dose at the last appt, but because of bad timing with prescriptions refills, insurance wouldn't let me get the refill when I needed it. So I went up a little for a week, then tapered rapidly, and now I've been off for a week or so. I can get the refill now, but it's time for my next appt so I waited -- and cleverly slept through said appt along with other responsibilities on Tuesday. I'm clearly rambling, and have now hijacked the thread. I was going to talk to the pdoc about the poop-out/apathy issue and the possibility of switching meds (which I'm *loath* to do!), but now I guess I'll just get the dang refill and go with the higher dose, since he's now out of town and I need to be doing *something.*

sorry for the ramble....

#8 kassiegal

kassiegal

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

I've been wondering about prozac and motivation....

I'm on fluoxetine for a second time. I've been back on it for about 8 months and find myself in a horrible rut of no motivation -- avoiding work and the few friends and responsibilities I have left. It seems to me that the same sort of thing happened 5 years or so ago when I was last on prozac -- that at a certain point I just got completely numb and stopped functioning or caring. I can't tell, though, if it's the med or if it's me. I'm definitely not doing myself any favors in terms of self-care.

My pdoc slightly upped the dose at the last appt, but because of bad timing with prescriptions refills, insurance wouldn't let me get the refill when I needed it. So I went up a little for a week, then tapered rapidly, and now I've been off for a week or so. I can get the refill now, but it's time for my next appt so I waited -- and cleverly slept through said appt along with other responsibilities on Tuesday. I'm clearly rambling, and have now hijacked the thread. I was going to talk to the pdoc about the poop-out/apathy issue and the possibility of switching meds (which I'm *loath* to do!), but now I guess I'll just get the dang refill and go with the higher dose, since he's now out of town and I need to be doing *something.*

sorry for the ramble....

Hi...I got my dose upped to 30mg from 20...just started at 30 3 days ago....feel a bit tired...not to bad
But I am actually getting out and taking photos again...and playing and printing them off...and that is something I have not done in a looooooooooooonnnnng time...I just think this time around on prozac...it is taking longer...mind you I suffer from TMJ and Fibro..which makes me lazy and tired...but that too is improving..since moving around...goingfor walks now....even helpêd my daughter clean my vehicle...so here is hoping....at 30mg..I will be dancing in no time..LOL
good luck to you

#9 bennyboy

bennyboy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

I have been on Prozac for about 2 or3 months now, and I don't ever feel like doing anything anymore. Before I started taking prozac I was on 40mg of celexa, and I never really had motivation issues, but my depression was out of controll. I was angry with myself, and often very upset, but I still woke up in the morning to take care of business.
When I started taking Prozac my depressive symptoms started getting better, but my motivation level to do anything started to reach an all time low. In the past couple of weeks I've been avoiding school because of the intense social anxiety that goes with it. I really like Prozac because it keeps me more even keel, but I wish I had more motivation to do things. Sometimes it's a matter of forcing yourself to do something. If you love photography, go out and take beautiful pictures of your farm! Another thing that has always made me feel better is working out. It's something you can do by yourself! I often find that pushing myself to get out of bed and work out for a little while always puts me in a better place. I hope things start to get better for you!

#10 bennyboy

bennyboy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

I forgot to mention that I am not eating very much lately. I wonder if it has to do with the prozac...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users