Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Can I Take Xanax As Needed?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chel

chel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

i got a perscription for xanax at only.5mg/// some days my anxiety is worse then others .. is it ok to take it as a 'only as needed'?and does anyone know if it helps with depression

#2 darcness

darcness

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

Actually the best usage for benzo's (Xanax) is to take them as needed. That way you only use them when you really need them. For instance, if you're having a panic attack or your anxiety has been high for a while and you can't get it under control. I've been using it for 5 months as needed and have never gone over 1.5mg a day. Even then, that was while I was starting on Zoloft. Since the Zoloft has kicked in, I can take .25mg once a week or less and be just fine.

From what I've heard (and felt) Xanax does have a small anti-depressant effect. I think that when it comes to anxiety, depression is like the silent partner, or vice versa. By treating the anxiety, it also helps to lessen the depression. At least in my case I know that was true. When I was having MAJOR depression I could take a Xanax or 2 and then be ok after a while. Not happy, but at least functioning.

Some of the greatest advice I've ever received on DF: "Always remember that recovery is not linear"
Such a simple phrase, but so easily forgotten...

#3 Deet

Deet

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hi chel -
Sorry you're not feeling well. I've had scrips for xanax .5mg since my diagnosis in 2005. Xanax quite possibly saved my life! And yeah, I was scared to death to use it, afraid I'd wind up a junkie.
Xanax helps my anxiety big time. It doesn't do anything for depression -- basically it allows you to have a miserable time without panicking. I think the addiction potential has been exaggerated....if you're using 1 mg or 2 mg several times a day, you may develop a problem OVER TIME. But a low dose like yours, used as needed, say once or twice a day while going through a rough patch -- no worries.

I've still got a bottle of xanax from 2007 that I'm using right now (a rough patch!) When the anxiety is gone, I have no desire to use the stuff. So take your meds, that's what they're made for.

-Deet
MOM!!! Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!!!

DX: Major depression/general anxiety
Rx's: Effexor, Lexapro, Lex/Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin, Buspar/Wellbutrin, Zoloft/Wellbutrin, Stablon, Cymbalta, Remeron, Nuvigil, and amoxapine in various combinations. Oh, and Xanax and trazodone from time to time.

#4 graycoyote

graycoyote

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hi Chel

I have been taking xanax since 2000 at the level of 0.5mg as needed. I have had to take as much as 2mg to finally get relief, but that was only just a few times. I go a week without taking any and then maybe a half or the whole pill for a couple of days.

It has been a great help to me.

I too was told it was highly addictive, so I have always been careful with taking it. But never too the point of not using it when I needed to.

GOD BLESS
GrayCoyote

If you are a Christian, you are not a citizen of this world
trying to get to Heaven, You are a citizen of Heaven
making your way through this world --- Vance Havner

#5 Jay_Man

Jay_Man

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:55 AM

Its fine to take it as needed and if you stick to the original dose then there is no problem. i am dependent on xanax and i take about 4mg daily in the one dose.
i also take klonopin sometimes at night when i need. i was always scared at the start to even go over 2mg and now look were i am. its something that can cause a dependence
if you miss use it. i just felt like i needed it, so now i am on zoloft and hopefully that will make me cut down on the xanax use.

best of luck

jay
"If I continue to do what I've always done,
then Im going to get what I've always got."

#6 chel

chel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

thanks everyone ,,, i tried one yesterday and it did nothing,,,, i am wondering if i can take two they are only .5mg... its hard though caus i am having alot of sinus problems and physical pain ,,i dont want to take everything,,,, so we will see what i do today ,, i was going to go back on ad meds . my doc said zoloft or cymbalta but i really can not deal with anymore weight gain,,,,,,,

#7 Tinkerbell_kal

Tinkerbell_kal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:03 AM

thanks everyone ,,, i tried one yesterday and it did nothing,,,, i am wondering if i can take two they are only .5mg... its hard though caus i am having alot of sinus problems and physical pain ,,i dont want to take everything,,,, so we will see what i do today ,, i was going to go back on ad meds . my doc said zoloft or cymbalta but i really can not deal with anymore weight gain,,,,,,,

Hey Chel,

I understand your concern about the weight gain. I've been on Cymlalta now for 2 months and I have experienced no weight gain, if anything I've lost weight and my appetite is light. I was on Paxil years ago and blew up like a balloon and I've been scared to try another AD ever since, but times got bad and I had no choice but to go back on them and I'm just glad this time around it's different. I know we respond different to all of them, but Cymbalta is not supposed to cause any weight gain. So don't rule it out! I take .25 of Xanax and it is a very low dose, but I find if I take 2 I'm dopey and can fall asleep. But it works great for an anxiety attack!

:hearts:

Tink
"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead!!

"Pain of mind is worse than pain of body"

#8 Deet

Deet

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

I hate to be the one to tell you to take two.....you really need to okay it first with your pdoc.

Having said that -- hell yeah, take two and see what happens. Just be ready to feel wiped out. Do it when you're safe at home and can crash in bed if you need to.

Again, check with your doctor first. :hearts:
MOM!!! Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!!!

DX: Major depression/general anxiety
Rx's: Effexor, Lexapro, Lex/Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin, Buspar/Wellbutrin, Zoloft/Wellbutrin, Stablon, Cymbalta, Remeron, Nuvigil, and amoxapine in various combinations. Oh, and Xanax and trazodone from time to time.

#9 chel

chel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

I hate to be the one to tell you to take two.....you really need to okay it first with your pdoc.

Having said that -- hell yeah, take two and see what happens. Just be ready to feel wiped out. Do it when you're safe at home and can crash in bed if you need to.

Again, check with your doctor first. :hearts:

your funny......i cant be wiped out, ecspecially because i feel the anxiety when going to work,,, does the tiredness go away ? i am already taking 5 hour naps and am only on sinus meds,,,, havent taken any today,, i might try them tomorrow thanks !

#10 Jay_Man

Jay_Man

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

Take 4mg everyday and see what happans LOL! jk. I wish i could be back to when i used to take 2mg every second or 3rd day :hearts:
And Tink you lucky girl two .25 and your out! LOL
"If I continue to do what I've always done,
then Im going to get what I've always got."

#11 chel

chel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

Take 4mg everyday and see what happans LOL! jk. I wish i could be back to when i used to take 2mg every second or 3rd day :hearts:
And Tink you lucky girl two .25 and your out! LOL

i think i will take it slower maybe 1mg at first ......

#12 stuckingoo

stuckingoo

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:01 PM

i got a perscription for xanax at only.5mg/// some days my anxiety is worse then others .. is it ok to take it as a 'only as needed'?and does anyone know if it helps with depression

What did your doc say?

My prescription sez, 'take one tablet 3 times per day as needed for anxiety.' I take it three times a day......so it's pretty much always there in my system while I'm awake. The prescription and doc's orders should be tailored to the individual.

#13 chel

chel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

What did your doc say?

My prescription sez, 'take one tablet 3 times per day as needed for anxiety.' I take it three times a day......so it's pretty much always there in my system while I'm awake. The prescription and doc's orders should be tailored to the individual.

1 tablet twice a day,, but i have worse days then others and wanted to do it on only the bad days,,,i didnt kmnow if as needed would be ok,, i hate being on meds

#14 stuckingoo

stuckingoo

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

What did your doc say?

1 tablet twice a day,, but i have worse days then others and wanted to do it on only the bad days,,,i didnt kmnow if as needed would be ok,, i hate being on meds

It's interesting that you feel tired and need to take naps but you still have anxiety. And usually when you first start on Xanax even the smaller doses are pretty powerful. Maybe you should ask your physician for other meds.....there are plenty out there. This one ain't doing it for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users