Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Serotonin Injections

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grant323

grant323

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:49 AM

I recently heard of someone having serotonin shots for depression, without the side effects of ssri's. I never knew this was an option. has anyone else heard of this?

#2 karmic_serenade

karmic_serenade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:22 AM

I recently heard of someone having serotonin shots for depression, without the side effects of ssri's. I never knew this was an option. has anyone else heard of this?

I haven't heard of this either. Hmmmm..interesting. I'd need to read up on it more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be who you are..
and say what you feel..
Because those who mind, don't matter..
and those who matter, don't mind.

-Dr. Seuss

#3 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

Hi Grant

I have not heard of it either, but it sounds interesting. I think it may be worthwhile researching.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#4 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

It is my understanding that serotonin can't cross the blood/brain barrier which would make serotonin shots worthless.

5-HTP, the metabolic precursor of serotonin can cross the barrier and some people take it as a supplement with good results.
We are all failures -- at least, all the best of us are. -- Sir James M. Barrie

#5 grant323

grant323

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:27 AM

i read about it on the holtorf medical group website if anyone is interested.

#6 ribosome77

ribosome77

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:44 AM

I agree, with one of the poster's above. I'm not aware of any way injecting seratonin into the blood stream could lead to increased brain levels, only increased urine levels because it can't get anywhere useful.
My guess is that it does nothing - good or bad - and he can do it legally and say he's 'researching'. Unless you have a lot of extra money, skip it. You'd be better asking your doctor about giving the 5htp a try.
Notice how the web site is designed to sell you therapies rather than diagnose illnesses. You can see his/their priorities.

#7 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:07 AM

Hi grant323,

Serotonin injection would be of no value whatsoever. Maedhros is exactly right 'It is my understanding that serotonin can't cross the blood/brain barrier which would make serotonin shots worthless. 5-HTP, the metabolic precursor of serotonin can cross the barrier and some people take it as a supplement with good results.'

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users