Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Which Is Stronger Xanax Or Ativan?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 breezin

breezin

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:53 AM

Just wondering, at a similar dose which is stronger?

#2 Tinkerbell_kal

Tinkerbell_kal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

I have both. I find that the lorazapam makes me more dopey and out of it, I find that on the Xanax it takes away my anxiety and I feel more alert and not so groggy. I don't think that answers which is stronger lol but that's my take on the both of them!

Tink
"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead!!

"Pain of mind is worse than pain of body"

#3 Neo

Neo

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

I agree with tinkerbell. I do think dose to dose, xanax is stronger, faster, and shorter acting. I tried the extended release, it worked but I found myself a little too happy. Which felt great to be honest, but addiction to a benzo is a slippery slope. I stopped taking it. I also tried clonazapam for a while. Worked good, long acting, but to tired and added to my depressions. I now take ativan and I do feel better. It works great for me and doesn't make my doofy or tired during the day, unless I'm doofy and tired already :hearts:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Aka: RS

#4 Neo

Neo

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

I have both.

Do you switch back and forth as needed?
That sounds like a good idea. I have read Xanax is the only benzo that has anti-depressant qualities.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Aka: RS

#5 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

I have both.

Do you switch back and forth as needed?
That sounds like a good idea. I have read Xanax is the only benzo that has anti-depressant qualities.

I've heard this too, but it still, like alot of the benzo's can cause or excerbate depression. If you look up the pi sheets its a pretty large side effect of benzo's, especially klonopin.

Edited by maintainin, 16 July 2009 - 03:35 PM.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#6 darcness

darcness

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

I've used both Ativan and Xanax myself. Same with my wife.

Neither one of us much liked Ativan. We both had fast onset anxiety attacks and for that, Xanax seems to work the best. I don't usually need them to last long. Just long enough to get me through the attack, and then I'm good. Other then that, I don't use them. I'm getting pretty good at controlling my anxiety on my own.

Some of the greatest advice I've ever received on DF: "Always remember that recovery is not linear"
Such a simple phrase, but so easily forgotten...

#7 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

Ativan does nothing at all for me and lorazapam nothing but after 10 years of clonazapam any where from .5 to 4mgs and back to 1.5 mgs, I guess that is why the others don't do anything. I went to the hospital a couple months ago because I couldn't get the attack to stop, I had my limit on lorazapam so they gave me the highest does of ativan to no avail, them they gave me 4 mgs of vallium that finally worked.

I wish my doc would give me something stronger but the seriqoul seems to work some at warding off anxiety and panic, so I guess neither work for me.
Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

#8 Davevanza

Davevanza

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:13 AM

I tried XANAX (Alprazolam) 2mg at one time, and ATIVAN ( Lorazepam ) 2.5mg couple of years after.

Both are categorised as high potency benzodiazepines, as does RIVOTRIL/KLONOPIN ( Clonazepam) 2mg.

High potency benzodiazepines are often used for severe case of anxiety, such as panic disorder.

The only difference between XANAX and ATIVAN is, XANAX is more potent to block the panic attack, compared to ATIVAN and KLONOPIN. ( I still don't understand, why some doctors prefer KLONOPIN for severe anxiety states, probably because it has a very long half life, could be up to 30 hours in the body, whereas, XANAX has a shorter half life and is broken down into another active metabolites that lasts up to about 14 hour, XANAX itself as the parent drug has only a half life of 6 hours in the body. ATIVAN does not have an active metabolite, and it is short acting , too. )

So, it depends on the symptoms of the person taking them, if general anxiety such as restlesness is the problem, KLONOPIN is the drug of choice, since it has a long half life, including its active metabolite.

If panic attact is the main problem, XANAX, is the drug of choice, as it also has an active metabolite, as well as an antidepressant property, used in conjunction with an anti depressant that is useful for panic disorder such as PAXIL/AROPAX, ZOLOFT/LUSTRAL, and a gold standard novel Tricyclic TOFRANIL ( Imipramine ).

The only 2 benzos that have no active metabolites are ATIVAN (Lorazepam ) and SEREPAX/MURELAX/SERAX ( Oxazepam ), but Oxazepam is categorised as a middle-acting benzo, comes in 15mg and 30mg and works slowly to have an effect in the body, so it is not too useful for an immediate relief from panic attack. The Longer acting benzos are such as VALIUM ( Diazepam ) comes in 2mg, 5mg and 10 mg, but it lacks an anti-tremor activity, unlike XANAX, ATIVAN, KLONOPIN and SERAX.

10mg Valium is equivalent to 1 mg of XANAX, but even a person taking more than that dose, VALIUM does not block the symptom of panic attack.

So, for general sedation, anxiolytic, ATIVAN is the drug of choice.

But for a more severe anxiety, associated with panic attack and depression, XANAX is still the gold standard amongst all the benzos.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users