Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Repetitive Thoughts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 stormykk

stormykk

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:08 PM

I was diagnosed with OCD years ago. I thought I was crazy for many years!!!!! It was really a relief having a name for it. My OCD exhibits itself in many patterns---I do not wash hands, etc. etc., but I do have problems with a mild form of hoarding stuff---I am a pack rat with PAPERS, magazines, and "important events" papers that I cannot throw away. But what really BOTHERS me is my repetitive thoughts-----I have to do things in my mind in even numbers, and it often keeps me up at night trying to "GET iT RIGHT"!!!!! Can anyone relate to this? I have been on meds---Zoloft helped the most, but now they have me on Prozac and Welbutrin------not working. What do you do for this if you can relate?

Edited by stormykk, 09 July 2009 - 11:09 PM.

#2 duggie

duggie

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

I was diagnosed with OCD years ago. I thought I was crazy for many years!!!!! It was really a relief having a name for it. My OCD exhibits itself in many patterns---I do not wash hands, etc. etc., but I do have problems with a mild form of hoarding stuff---I am a pack rat with PAPERS, magazines, and "important events" papers that I cannot throw away. But what really BOTHERS me is my repetitive thoughts-----I have to do things in my mind in even numbers, and it often keeps me up at night trying to "GET iT RIGHT"!!!!! Can anyone relate to this? I have been on meds---Zoloft helped the most, but now they have me on Prozac and Welbutrin------not working. What do you do for this if you can relate?

Physical exercise, on a daily basis, and Post-it-Notes help me a lot. I write my task or thoughts on paper, and I do this every day. When my task is complete, the Note goes in the trash and I start all over again.
Doug

#3 Tweed

Tweed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:47 AM

Hey there,

Yuppers, can relate to this one. I worry about tragic things I can't control and may not ever happen, and yeah it keeps me awake sometimes. You're definitely not alone, goes hand in hand with OCD.
Agree with Duggie about exercise, the post-it-notes sound like a neat idea too.
My arms are just two things in the way
Until I can wrap them around you
You can make a sad song happy
and a bad world good
I can feel you out there moving. - Captain Beefheart.
--
To question is to quest on. - Some wise dude.

#4 darcness

darcness

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

I think these constant thoughts are very common in most people with OCD or anxiety disorders. I know for me, the thoughts enter my mind and I have a really hard time getting them out. Most of the time it's negative thoughts, and a lot of "what if's?". Unfortunately those are the hardest to let go. Through CBT therapy I've learned how to control these thoughts and process them in a healthy way. It takes time to learn, but it helps.
  • jfrombk likes this

Some of the greatest advice I've ever received on DF: "Always remember that recovery is not linear"
Such a simple phrase, but so easily forgotten...

#5 WMAT1118

WMAT1118

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

The repetitve thoughts are extremely annoying and I really feel like I lose control of my mind when I cannot get something out of my head. Especially when they are negative thoughts. Alot of the time they are negative thoughts about my girlfriend or my family both of which I love more than anything. These thoughts are very hurtful and when I get them stuck in my head it often causes severe anxiety attacks, which always seem to make the depression sink in deeper. Oh and darcness, I totally agree, the "what ifs" are the worse.
  • jfrombk likes this

#6 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:44 AM

Although it was not easy for me, I was told my by psychiatrist to sit in a room on my own with my ritual, and do nothing, and see what happened. It was not easy at all. But the worst that can happen is you feel really anxious for a bit and it died down. That was the beginning of me countering OCD.
Beating depression since 2007

#7 Pixijessa

Pixijessa

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

Hey!

I have those too! Actually, those are the worst part of OCD for me... but it's horrible when you also have a form of paranoia! I keep thinking my bf is cheating on me, addign girls from dating sites because that's what he used to do...now, if I see soemthing totally innocent, I break up with him! It's taking a huuuuge tole on both of us, and I'm seing a psychiatrist, hopefully on Friday (or in another 5 weeks, but then I'd try to find someone in the meantime).

So I understand what you are going through, we never forget something and make a huge deal out of it. Like, when someone gives us a normal look, we think the person is patronizing us and it goes on and on then we think nobody loves us...:(
Depressed? You can't be if you play "World of Warcraft"

#8 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

It is really terrible! With OCD the hardest things to change are the ones that only are in your mind. Like songs I hear people say that song was stuck in my head all day. Unfortunately for us songs can get stuck in our heads forever. I've had one song stuck in my head as long as a month.

#9 Sensigirl205

Sensigirl205

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:21 AM

Yes I'm like you!! I have these here

Doubters and sinners are afraid that if everything isnít perfect or done just right something terrible will happen or they will be punished.

I often have repetitive thoughts, and it's extremely annoying. Sitting there thinking about the same disturbing/fearful thing over and over again. My mother has OCD bad, real bad, and I think I just followed behind her. She has it with repetitve actions I have the other type. It's frustrating to have to deal with this but I have to live with along with my other issues. :shocked:

#10 London Ashford

London Ashford

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:45 AM

I think that I may have OCD.not really sure yet but I have the whole intrusive thought thing..

Its hard.. I often ask myself. why in the world would I think such an aweful disgusting things.

the best way I can explain what I go thru on a daily basis is " I may think it, but I dont mean it"
but these are thoughts I cant seem to control. they seem to control me.

does this make sense to anyone.

its like these thoughts are in the background of my mind.. and I have to fill my head with other stuff to NOT think of them. then they pop up.
sometimes its like I have no control of my thoughts. Then I dwell on why I think what I think and what the thought was..

Am I making any sense to anyone..
I just want peace in my mind..

I have delt with this for so long. over 10 years. It seemed that it would make no sense to anyone. Sometimes I am afride to think..Sometime I am afride that I think the things on purpose..

I am just happy to finally know that other people are going thru the same thing that I am.. and that I am not alone.
  • jfrombk likes this

#11 tamsynx

tamsynx

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

I think that I may have OCD.not really sure yet but I have the whole intrusive thought thing..

Its hard.. I often ask myself. why in the world would I think such an aweful disgusting things.

the best way I can explain what I go thru on a daily basis is " I may think it, but I dont mean it"

its like these thoughts are in the background of my mind.. and I have to fill my head with other stuff to NOT think of them. then they pop up.
sometimes its like I have no control of my thoughts. Then I dwell on why I think what I think and what the thought was..

I have delt with this for so long. over 10 years. It seemed that it would make no sense to anyone. Sometimes I am afride to think..Sometime I am afride that I think the things on purpose..

I am just happy to finally know that other people are going thru the same thing that I am.. and that I am not alone.

I've had some of this too, but mine usually only lasts a day at a time. It always kind of freaks me out, but I keep telling myself "I don't want these thoughts, there's just something wrong in my head."
I'm not sure how to make it stop. Sometimes I can get distracted, like you mentioned, by putting other stuff in my head. It's always good to hear that we're not alone in this.
I am not a doctor. All I can do is offer my opinion.

#12 nicko953

nicko953

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

You are not alone - but you need a shrink or GP to diagnose you. With me, it started with thoughts of harming my kids - threw me over the deep end. Then it went to thoughts of harming myself - still have those, but have absolutely no desire to do so. These days, its more obsessing about obsessing....and obsessing over my medications etc. Its like there is a looped tape recorder in the back of my mind, constantly playing out the same stuff. I can function and life, but I'd have a much richer life if this were gone. If I spent as much energy and time obsessing about the stock market, I'd be a frikkin billionaire by now.

#13 Mandaly

Mandaly

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

I have had repetitive thoughts for years about family members dieing. My mom died in a freak accident 11 years ago and the night before she died, I had been lying in bed for hours crying because I kept thinking about waking up the next morning and finding my mom dead beside her car. I am not making this up, the next morning, my mom was outside, laying under her car. The emergency break slipped on her 5 speed and it rolled down the hill and she was trapped underneath it. She suffocated.

Ever since then, I spend several nights a month obsessing over coming home from the grocery store or something similar and my house is on fire and my husband and kids are all trapped inside. Or, I think about him going out with all the kids to give me some quiet time and he is in an accident and they all die.

I've mentioned this to my psychiatrist and my therapist and neither seems concerned with it. I guess I should stress the fact that after it actually happening one time the thought that it could happen a second time just consumes me.

It is nice to know that I am not alone. :shocked:
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....no wait, it was just the worst of times...."

#14 London Ashford

London Ashford

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Ok.. its offical.. I spoke to a Psychiatrist today.. and he says that I have OCD..
Believe it or not I actually left the office smiling. I was so happy..
Then.. about 15 or 20 minutes later.. I starting thinking to myself..

What if you just think these things on purpose.. What if it is really just you..
What if you did all the research on OCD and just made yourself worse because you wanted OCD..

I have dealt with this for so long.. I am talkin years.. and know that I know whats wrong I am afride that I do it on purpose..

So let me just quote some Green Day

"its no suprise to me I am my own worst enemy"

#15 Mandaly

Mandaly

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

London,

I have the same problem. I do so much research online that I can see symptoms of almost every major illness in me. I even look up to make sure I'm not a hypochondriac....
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....no wait, it was just the worst of times...."

#16 Lifeintheslowlane

Lifeintheslowlane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

I can totally relate to counting. I do it to the point of exhaustion sometimes. I have a constant thoughts that I might not be real, or I can't stop thinking about what reality is. I have obsession fears about what might happen if I do this, or that, and how awful it would be and traumatizing and how I'll be hated by everyone if I do anything shameful - and when I'm in that zone, pretty much everything feels shameful. I get exhausted trying to control the expression of my personality, as I don't want to deal with the chaos inside. But it just gets worse. $%$#$#$

I am compulsed to know as much as I can about almost everything, because I don't do well with the uncertainty of not knowing much about the subject of a conversation. I'm just "supposed" to know everything. When I am being emotionally honest with myself, that last one seems to go away.

I used to step on the cracks in sidewalks as a game. I'd tell myself if I stepped on one more hole, I'd win and I wouldn't have to play anymore. So I'd do it, "win" and have to do it with the next hole as well. I have done it thousands of times in my life. As soon as I "win", I have to play again.

I also used to shoot baskets and wouldn't leave until I'd sunk ten. I had to leave on a good note or, I dunno, something bad would happen. I wouldn't feel "complete".

I used to smell my hands obsessively in grade four.

I used to think a freckle on my face was a reason for people not to like me. I had it removed. And then I found another reason why people might not like me. With no evidence that I was disliked (by more than a couple of people).

I had to check the toilet seat dozen's of times as a chid to ensure the lid was down so the cat didn't drink out of it. I'd check, go to bed, get up, check again.

I think ocd for me comes out when I am stressed and/or repressing anger. I have noticed when I talk about my anger, the desire to be compulsive lessens.

#17 lifesuckz

lifesuckz

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

hi there. i'm new here and i just decided to talk about my mental issues since it's gotten to the point where i think of myself as crazy. i think i have OCD too. and it's gotten pretty serious i feel so depressed and feel so worthless i want to die. i believe it started a bit more than 1 year ago. it's to do with repetitive thoughts. this may sound like i'm weird but i have to say it. whenever i see a good looking female i will try to picture her face in my mind. several TIMES. i try and try to form the picture but then it keeps dissapearing and i always have to get it RIGHT in my brain. and this can last for an hour. i thought i was obsessed with girls but it developed into something different now. now just about anything that comes to my mind i try to form it in my head and i try and try and try like 50x to form the image till i get it right. it can be the stars in the sky, picture of a face in a book, holding a pencil, a tree, anything. the more i think about it, the less clearer the picture becomes and I then i keep trying which drives me crazy. and once i form a complete picture i feel like i'm FINALLY FREE, BUT THEN the picture becomes blurry and then the cycle continues. this is so stupid of me i really want to stop. i've done this staying up really late a couple times. and when i am walking or taking the bus, and going to make a turn, i get annoyed because i can't form the image. but when going in a straight direction i continue my obsessive thought. compared to other people, i focus longer on thoughts that i get stuck on and i try so hard to clear my brain. and i don't know why i have it but i have some theories. it was sometime back i was watching some video on youtube called the camera man. the only one in the world who has a brain that acts as a camera. yes i know this is probably a dumb reason for my ocd but i'm serious. and one day i wondered about it and tried it on my own to think of some random image then look up my brain to see if i remembered anything. and i kept thinking like this. another theory is that i'm on a pill called accutane. accutane helps treat severe acne. so basically i have a mental problem to deal with AND horrible acne to deal with. and the side effects of this drug have been known to cause depression and thoughts of suicide. been on it for 3 years. i don't know which of the 2 is causing my mental problem :(. i'm so sad because i never used to be this way. i was a normal person a little more than a year ago! anyways one symptom of my ocd is whenever i go shopping I NEVER go with friends. why? my brain is always indecisive and i keep having anxiety everytime i like this jacket i think "what if i regret it later and return it? should i get the cheaper one? but i already have a jacket at home". it may sound like a regular picky shopper but i actually think this is a mental issue. sometimes when i'm overwhelmed with my indecisiveness i have to go out the store then sit down and think. and it is very time consuming and i just look like an *****. it also prevents me from thinking when people walk by me because of the anxiety. this stupid reason is what's causing me to not do so well at school. also like London Ashford with the "I may think it, but I dont mean it" i have this too. i will think of really bad insults but i don't mean it. and i feel bad. to everyone i look like a normal person, at least i think so, but i'm so screwed up in the head. sometimes i hang out with friends and try my best to be normal but i have thoughts in my brain. i'm worried this could affect my work if i don't fix it. i don't want to be fired because i may look like i'm slacking off. i've never been fired. sigh..... thanks for reading about my messed up issue :(

Edited by ChrystalR, 25 January 2010 - 05:17 AM.
Removing link as per ToS

#18 Lifeintheslowlane

Lifeintheslowlane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

Hi everyone reading this thread.

I have had severely difficult-to-deal-with repetitive thoughts for as long as I can remember - back to the mid-eighties for sure. I have very compulsive behaviour in order to try and deal with the thougths and make them go away - to no avail. I used to have really violent thoughts that loop in my mind, over and over, for example, and I'm afraid I'd turn the thoughts into action. I have moved on from violent thoughts to other disturbing repetitive thoughts.

I have been meditating and doing yoga on and off for a year and I can say, for sure, today (I went to both a meditation class and a yoga class) I felt an awareness of how the thoughts become repetitive. I don't know how or why they start, but I was able to manage them better and not be so compulsive afterward. I had a couple of moments of peace. Which is a nice start.

I don't like false hope and "miracle cures" to make OCD go away - I don't think there's a miracle cure. I don't want to give myself or anyone else false hope. However, I can definitely vouch for the fact that today, I had a couple of moments of relative peace in my mind - which is a really good start. I feel if I practice more, I can achieve more moments of peace.

Please consider trying meditation and some basic yoga to help with ocd - maybe try one or the other or both for a week or two and see how you feel.

Edited by Lifeintheslowlane, 19 February 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#19 rebado

rebado

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

You are not alone....

I first had OCD many years ago and it was the pre-cursor (or by product) from what I came to learn was anxiety.

I still have repetitive thoughts and they are mostly negative ones,working on that constantly.

The symptom of OCD I had the strongest was checking and re-checking i.e. Locks on houses,cars,was the iron off etc. and the second most strong was having things all ordered and 'neat' still do it though not to the extreme I used to do.

Over time I was able to confront the checking/re-checking compulsion and even now find it trying to creep in but I resist this.

Where I have gone wrong in things in life is where my repetitive thoughts go to and though I am aware that this will not change the past,my mind does it without my permission.

Anxiety or worry over such things is what got my OCD going I believe and it is fear(s) that drive it still.

For me it's a battle to be fought constantly with varying degrees of success and failure.

#20 Jessisavatar

Jessisavatar

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

Hmmm...well if you think zoloft helped the most I'd say you should continue with it. I had zoloft for my anxieties but it didn't help very well, but I'm seeing a psychiatrist soon to find something for me. I also have many repetitive thoughts that form into irrational thoughts and make me cry for no reason because I imagine a scenario that is blown out of proportion! But my psychologist gave me ideas on how to break it. She gave me a paper that was in the form of a table, and in one section you write down "What you are thinking" then you write in the next column "What makes you think this" then go on to writing down "what makes this irrational" and then write down "what is the rational explanaition for this" and it helps me a lot. I also, instead of always thinking of the same thought, I distract myself with "what should I wear tomorrow?" "I wonder what we are studying tomorrow?" "what shall I do that is fun tomorrow?" etc

#21 charlotte_b

charlotte_b

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Stormykk, you are invoking these thoughts yourself, because they make you feel better for at least a short time. Neuroscience had proved that thinking about rewarding experience can increase the flow of neurotransmitters (chemicals like dopamine) in the brain circuits and make a person feel better. This is similar to drug addict injecting drugs to get high for a moment. All drugs and alcohol are making us feel good by increasing dopamine flow in the brain circuits. Also rewarding experience like sex, good food, pleasant feelings are releasing the dopamine. However, do not abuse your brain reward system, because this is similar to drug addiction - makes you feel good for a moment, but it is easy to lose control, get too addicted, and forget your real life. Repetitive thinking is the main symptom of schizophrenia also... Modern antipsychotics are designed to block the dopamine, and can help you take your repetitive thoughts under the control. But this medication can only be proscribed by a doctor and can lead to depressions as side-effect. It would be much better if you take your thoughts under the control yourself, and get your pleasant share of dopamine from natural sources like love, joy and hobbies.

Good luck

#22 binit_12

binit_12

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:17 AM

OCD thoughts are the repeatitive fantasy of the mind. One thought derives another thought and so on. For ex: you get a negative thought, then again you think I must not have this negative thought and again you think that why this thought occured even when I thought of not thinking it.

Mostly when a particular thought stays long, people think that it’s a disease of the mind which is creating trouble in life and that one’s life is not normal like others and despite of their best efforts to overcome these they fail. This gets chronic and turns into an obsession. Many believe that the thought will remain forever till they die.
In reality the thoughts that “it’s there in my mind”, “I will have to suffer the pain forever”, “the thought must go”, “why it occurred”, “how long” etc.. are the power of the negative thought. It’s a loop, one thought is giving rise to another. If you pay attention to any one thought seriously then another will soon come up. And there is nothing you can do about it than to suffer the pain.
So, change the pattern of thinking. Forcing the mind will make things even worse. The mind should be dealt normally. Never panic or fear about a thought. Thoughts in the mind are inevitable. They will come and go. Do not take it seriously. The whole world is nothing but the crowd of the false minds. There is nothing you can change in it. And by thinking of doing so you make yourself miserable. Never fear and if a negative situation occurs then do what best can be done. No need to be serious about it. Deal everything and everyone casually. The only way to get out of this obsessive thinking is being casual to the thoughts.
Try experimenting this and see the change. Remember, you are the same normal person as you were before and you will continue to be the same. The temporary sufferings are immunity for the mind. In addition do some exercise because a fit body boosts the confidence in one self. Make yourself busy and sometimes change the old environment.
Remember that thoughts will come up even after you become casual. But still there is nothing to worry. It’s the pattern of mind. It always clings to the negative. Every human being in this world is affected by the mind, but the difference is that you have your awareness shifted to it, so it stays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users