Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Can't Afford Therapy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Adu

Adu

ID: 14485

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

I really feel like I should be going to therapy, but I can't afford it. I recently graduated and am still looking for work, and therefore lack health insurance and a source of income. Any suggestions for what I could do?

#2 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

ID: 35225

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

Some churches offer support groups for free, you could call your local churches and see if they offer anything.
Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

#3 graycoyote

graycoyote

ID: 16263

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

HI ADU,

Being from Ga. myself, I believe you'll be able to get some help thru DFACS. Have you put in for unemployment since graduating? You may be able to draw something while you are job hunting?

My son was in the Athens area after graduating at GA, where he took a job at a Hardware store, just to wait until something better came along. It was probably almost a year after graduating before he found what he was looking for. Until then he lived with his old roommate from GA while the other young man finished school.

If you are near Emory, they really have some excellent Doctors there. They take medicare and you should qualify once you go to DFACS, I would think.

In the meantime, I have been helped a lot by buying some used CBT and DBT workbooks from Amazon books pretty cheap. The CBT workbook by Burns is the one I have been thru several times to get the needed help. It is named 10 days to Self-Esteem, the title is missleading: I don't think it could be done in 10 days and He barely mentions self-esteem. There are many self-help workbooks out there.

My prayers are with YOU. Don't GIVE UP ---THERE IS HELP

GOD BLESS
GrayCoyote

If you are a Christian, you are not a citizen of this world
trying to get to Heaven, You are a citizen of Heaven
making your way through this world --- Vance Havner

#4 Guest_CH1980_*

Guest_CH1980_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

I really feel like I should be going to therapy, but I can't afford it. I recently graduated and am still looking for work, and therefore lack health insurance and a source of income. Any suggestions for what I could do?

You're on the right track. Keep looking for work. Once you get a job, then you can save up money to see a therapist. Or you might have insurance at your new job.

In the meantime, you could use these forums as therapy. Keep talking! ^_^

#5 mrhealthie

mrhealthie

Just Registered

ID: 41324

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

lonleysindy Posted Jul 9 2009, 10:30 PM
Some churches offer support groups for free, you could call your local churches and see if they offer anything.

yah i agree with you that some churches offers support group and these groups might help you... here in our place there is also social workers or counsellors who do psychotherapy at much affordable rate or sometimes even free...

Edited by mrhealthie, 06 October 2009 - 02:10 PM.

#6 kayeselle

kayeselle

ID: 42304

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hey - I am in the same boat; I desperately need counseling but we have a high deductible and financially it isn't an option for us. My advice would be:

Call around to various therapy offices. Some set the fee based on your income.

If you have a church that you like to attend, many pastors offer free pastoral counsel. It isn't the same as CBT, of course, but it's better than nothing.

If you have a friend that is educated in or works in the psych/social work field, see if they would be willing to talk with you on a bi-weekly basis or so. They can be a sounding board for you and perhaps offer some advice similar to what therapy offers.

Blessings to you!

Though You have made me see troubles, many and bitter, You will restore my life again; from the depths of the Earth, You will again bring me up."
~Psalm 71:20 (NIV)

#7 onedepressedguy

onedepressedguy

ID: 35176

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:43 AM

My dilemma as well. Therapy costs way too much and I have so much to get off my chest.

#8 joelietz

joelietz

Just Registered

ID: 45536

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

That's a terrible dilemma you have. Do your best to get a job and get insured and then start seeing someone, that's all I can think. It's bad when you can't afford what you feel you need. Good luck!

#9 beet1e

beet1e

ID: 19634

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

Find out what the local organizations are for therapists in your area and call the organization. Many therapists "donate" time to folks who can't afford therapy and the organization is the clearing house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users