Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Can Anger And Frustration Be Symptoms Of Depression?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 lilyclementine

lilyclementine

ID: 38086

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

I was just wondering: can unfounded feelings of anger or frustration be a part of depression? By unfounded, I mean just sitting in a room and suddenly feeling angry or frustrated at anything or EVERYTHING.

Also, can intense feelings of guilt be a symptom? Like, crying in guilt because you forgot to take out the trash?
The storm is coming but I don't mind,
People are dying, I close my blinds,
All I can do is keep breathing.

#2 Guest_rymo99_*

Guest_rymo99_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

I think so - it's all part of the chemical imbalances going on in your brain. For me, if I don't do everything perfectly right with regards to other people (from taking out the trash for my mom to talking to a girl), I get very regretful/guilty and fall deeper into depression. And since not I nor anyone else is perfect, it happens quite a bit - especially since I have social anxiety. Some days I am extremely frustrated with myself for being mentally defeated so easily, but that frustration usually turns into motivation at some point and helps me work on myself a bit. Since even a year ago, I have improved tremendously with regards to anger and frustration just by curbing those feelings as much as possible each time they come up. If you train yourself enough, those feelings will gradually lessen and that will be one less thing bringing you down.

I would also suggest what is called "systematic desensitization w/ relaxation". It's generally for anxiety but at least in my case anxiety and anger/frustration can many times go hand in hand. Just try to think of those things that really upset you, and while you're thinking about them intensely, squeeze your fist as hard as possible for a few seconds, and then release as you breathe out. Then do it with your other fist. Then your arms, shoulders, and eventually every muscle in your body. That releasing of the muscle tension is therapeutic and can help you lower anxiety or stop yourself from punching ***** in the wall. Over time, you will train your body and mind to become relaxed when presented with those very situations that make you angry and frustrated.

***EDIT*** lol I got censored for saying "a [space] hole" ...hmmm, well any way I was trying to say "punching a [space] hole in the wall" ***

Edited by rymo99, 06 July 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#3 AngelOfTheMoor

AngelOfTheMoor

ID: 36629

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

I think both of those could come with depression. I tend to feel guilty all of the time, even when I don't have anything to feel guilty about. I just have a bunch of generalized guilt. And I get frustrated and angry for small reasons sometimes. The anger and depression feed each other, in fact. I get mad about something, then I start to cry from anger, then I get depressed, then I get mad at myself for feeling depressed. It's a cycle.

#4 SecretMist

SecretMist

ID: 24142

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:12 PM

hi lily, yes these call all be related to depression. these feeling can come on for no reason at all or they can be set off by something that we don't even realize we are have trouble with. have you ever been to a doctor to have this looked at or been diagnosed with depression? how often has this happening with you?

#5 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

ID: 637

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 28,041 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

Anger, frustration and guilt are components of depression. They don't always happen to everyone. Go to the Portal (link is at the top of the page) and click on "Depression." It will give you signs and symptoms.

Journalling about your moods is helpful. When you feel anger or frustration, think about what triggered it. If it's spontaenious, there are other factors involved-maybe subconcious. Therapy can help you understand these emotions and for you to find positive outlets for both.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#6 dfens

dfens

ID: 38439

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

Those sounds like some fairly classic depressive symptoms to me, as others have already said.

Reacting sooner rather than later and getting help is important, both for you and for those close to you. Journalling is useful (as mentioned), and it really does help identify patterns, triggers, or other trends in your own behaviour.

A counsellor will probably tell you these same things.

#7 Poodle_Momma

Poodle_Momma

ID: 38296

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

I was just wondering: can unfounded feelings of anger or frustration be a part of depression? By unfounded, I mean just sitting in a room and suddenly feeling angry or frustrated at anything or EVERYTHING.

Also, can intense feelings of guilt be a symptom? Like, crying in guilt because you forgot to take out the trash?

I believe this is true; guilt/shame/anger is very seductive in the processing of mental illness.

Unfortunately your mind will get the best of you if you give it the opportunity to; medication can help curb this. Anger/worry/stress/anxiety/sadness will perpetuate the cycle, and the cycle can become habit-forming if it's learned. That is how you get "worse" or dysfunctional thought processes lead to a mental illness. It's completely normal to be angry at yourself, or others because of expectations. It is how you handle it that sets us up for healthy coping skills/life skills or pathology/mental illness. It's a fork in the road called LIFE. Of course genetics, learned behaviors, experiences, relationships and good/bad fortune all influence whether or not we handle the outcome functionally or dis-functionally. As creatures of habit sometimes Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) with a LCSW or PsyD is helpful in getting us back into prosperous thought/life cycles. I know that over-analyzing your problems, thoughts and actions can also perpetuate anxiety disorders. It seems ridiculous, when the intentions are to fix the problem "thought processes" and you are actually fueling the cycle.

CBT helps you identify why you are concerned with your responses to situations and how you cope or handle social situations. Then you get to the root of the problem, and re-program your responses or actions in specific situations. De a search for CBT in Google. It can greatly augment medication therapy and improve your satisfaction in your relationships.

Best wishes to you

#8 Xephon

Xephon

Advanced Member

ID: 27617

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hi Lily,

These angry and frustrated feelings can also be associated with a variety of mood disorders including bipolar disorder I and II. That's in addition to depression.
It is only for the sake of those without hope that hope is given to us.
-Walter Benjamin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users