• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kashif

Cymbalta Or Cipralex? Which Has Less Side Effects?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Please its my humble request to read my long post and please reply me as I am very very depressed right now and have no solution.

I ve been suffering from Depression, Anxiety and Panic attacks from years and took so many medicines. There were period of times when I was perfectly alright but then again my situation relapse.

To cut the story short, my doctor prescribed me Cymbalta 30 mg (Duloxetine) along with Lexotanil (Bromazepam ) and I started to feel better and start behaving like a normal human within a week. I didnt read the side effects of Cymbalta intentionally so that if I read I would feel them. Then I made the big mistake by quiting it myself without the doc's permission.

Now after say about 5 months, this month I had gastro problems ( I am suffering from IBS) I went to Gastro entrologist and he gave me Ciprofloxacin, Zantac, Colofac and flagyl. This stomach upset (Constipation and Diarrhea both) triggered my anxiety and panic attacks. I immediately thought of continuing my medicine which I mentioned before Cymbalta and Lexotanil but on Cymbalta leaflet I read under side effects that it has interactions with so many drugs including Ciproxin (Ciprofloxacin). So I changed my mind and went to my psychaterist, she was about to prescribe the same medication (cymbalta and Lexotonail) but I insist her to change the medicine coz Cymbalta has lots of interactions with others so on my request she prescribed my Cipralex 5mg for one week and then cipralex 10 mg for a month along with Lexotanil 1.5 mg at night.

But since two days I started Cipralex 5 mg I am not feeling well. I am feeling that its not me. Feeling like in dreams. Feeling like starving but when start to eat I feel nausea and feel like vomit. very low energy in my legs. Sleeping problems. short panic attacks wake me up from sleeping and also I am feeling of Diarrhea which always always trigger my depression and panic attacks even when I am normal.

So my question is should I go back to my doctor and switch back to Cymbalta nd Lexotanil combination as these medicines didnt gave me much trouble when I started these.

Please reply in detail as I am very depressed. I am an internet addict but I just logged in to post this message as I am feeling so week to type such long post. I am feeling too much weakness! i am very sensitive at the moment. I am not a Michael Jackson fan but his death news give me a big shock that I start crying when I heard the news.

Please Guys Help me to come out of it.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I was on Cymbalta 60 mg for nearly two years. Starting and stopping Cymbalta can cause all sorts of unpleasant symptoms. I had some gastrointestinal upset, nausea, and brain fogginess, but nothing as severe as what you are experiencing.

I've never been on Cipralex (Lexapro), though a close friend is on it. My understanding is that starting Lexapro and stopping it is much easier than SNRIs like Cymbalta or Effexor. Unfortunately, Lexapro seems to be more sedating and weight gain inducing than Cymbalta, though I found Cymbalta to be very sedating.

Maybe neither medicine is right for you; talk to your doctor about other antidepressants.

Good luck.

Posted

Hi Kashif,

Sorry that you're struggling at the moment.

It's really hard going if you just quit meds cold turkey so I'm not surprised you're feeling bad.

The Cipralex can have pretty strong side effects at first but if you can stick them out, they will disappear and hopefully it will work for you. Nausea at first is common and if you already have a weak stomach then I'm sure the diarrhoea is pretty normal too. The panic attacks are pretty standard at first too. If you really can't cope with the effects then definitely call you doctor, but everything should settle down in 4-6 weeks.

PRT xx

Posted

Hi

Hey I feel your pain on coming down from this or any other drug.

Ask yourself if medication is going to magically fix your mind.

What if this magic pill does not work? Will I survive? Hey, I am scared,

will this pill fix everything? Hell No. When they make that pill, I'm stocking up.

The world has made me feel like I am too ill to hug you and say "everything is gonna be allright"

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I have just had a total failure with cipralex ( escitalopram). It was prescribed for my depression and GAD but it was a total failure! It made my anxiety and panic attacks to go through the roof! I have tried different doses from only 2.5mg up to 15 mg and they were all nusty! I have also bad experience with celexa (citalopram). These drugs i guess are so potent and the most selective for the serotonin treansporter that they either work over time for some people or they just tear you apart , most other people...

Also, cipralex and celexa need the pGp protein to reach your brain and if you are deficient in this protein then preper for a very very nusty and wild ride while on cipralex, basically in simple terms what happens is that you get "poisoned" !

Have you tried starting with low dose Zoloft?

Edited by GeorgeV