• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
worry girl

How Long Do Pristiq Withdrawl Symptoms Last

196 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

hi

i'm desperate. i've been on pristiq for 9 months and i've tried to go off twice but failed after 2 1/2 days cold turkey. i want off because i have only gotten my period once--and all tests in that regard are normal--so it must be the pristiq and i have stomach/bowel problems. i have been on ADs for over 10 years---first luvox and then pristiq. i was told i could quit cold turkey. i switched from that doc. the new doc said he didn't know much about pristiq and didn't use it---i suspect the other doc was courted by wyeth. any way, the new doc suggested tapering but said we were kinda making it up as we went along. so i skipped saturday. i felt light headed and irritable. i was gonna take the pristiq today, but then i thought, sure i could feel fine, but then feel like crap again monday. my first doc told me that if i could stand it, i would be 'detoxed'--my word--after 7 days. i am going to call and talk to my current md tomorrow. although i don't have a lot of faith in him.

please---anyone who has quit the pristiq cold---how long do these symptoms last? i know it is going to get worse before it gets better. i am at 40 hours now. i am not working--i'm off for the summer as a teacher---so i can be 'sick' this week and just lay on the couch. although that is not my first choice of a summer activity. please help me---how long do these symptoms last? won't my body readjust to being without the pristiq and even out? i feel like crap. i haven't had the brain zaps yet---looking forward to that. but i've had the lightheadedness to the point of nausea, irrational thoughts, disconnected feeling, irritibility, and crying jags. please tell me i am not crazy for doing this--that it is possible to make it through. i feel like tapering would just prolong all these symptoms and i want to get it over with. i am going to see my grandparents on july 17 and really want to be stable by then.

thanks for any help

oh, i have upped my small klonopin intake---i usually take .25 mg twice a day and i've been taking twice that--which the first doc said was okay.

help.

Posted · Report post  

:hearts: to DF worrygirl

Pristiq is very simular to effexor. Most people taper off that. I would try tapering like your Doctor says. hopefully some-one will come along that is more familar with pristiq then I am

Posted · Report post  

:hearts: to DF worrygirl

Pristiq is very simular to effexor. Most people taper off that. I would try tapering like your Doctor says. hopefully some-one will come along that is more familar with pristiq then I am

thanks. for the advice. i just don't want to prolong the symptoms. but i will call my md tomorrow. i hope he'll talk to me over the phone. my last md wouldn't. i can't drive an hour in this condition. thanks for the welcome too.

Posted · Report post  

the answer for me about how long the pristiq withdrawal lasts---7 days. i stopped taking it on a saturday morning (last saturday) and i finally felt like myself the following friday and saturday. it was pretty awful. lightheadedness, uncontrollable crying jags (still a bit teary), shakiness, hot/cold flashes, irrational thinking, upset stomach/bowels (not as bad as i expected), inability to concentrate and be coherent (still seem so mistype words, which is out of the norm for me), and general despair that it'd never end. but it did. i am on the other side of that *#@#*$% drug. i am done. i am not going on an AD again. i don't know if my depression was ever that severe....but the answer is 7 days cold turkey. i wasn't working---i am off for the summer--and i couldn't have done it while working. it can be done. good luck and blessed be.

positive changes since:

I got my period which i had only once while on the pristiq for 9 months. that always bugged me. i had been clockwork regular especially since i was on the pill

I actually feel like i want to have sex---something which the ADs had always zapped out of me.

Posted · Report post  

Hurray Worry Girl!! :hearts:

This is great news to here as I'm currently weaning off my ADs. Can't wait for the benefits!! xx

Posted · Report post  

best of luck. really. it was one of the hardest things i have ever done. and i don't know what meds you are on, but for me, it did get better. my body is still adjusting, but i am so glad to be off the da-n things. there has got to be another way. acupuncture has helped me a great deal.

Posted · Report post  

I;ve heard that about acupuncture. I also have back pain so I really might give it a whirl if I have trouble.

I take citalopram and I've heard mixed reports about the withdrawal. I had quite a hard time getting used to them though so I'm prepared for the worst.....I think!

I hope I'll feel more alive again, although don't want to go back to the crying!! xx

Posted · Report post  

i recently went off pristiq. my dr. told me NOT to quit cold turkey. that could cause complications. she told me to take one pill every other day for a week and then the next week take one pill every two days. after that week to not take the pills anymore. so far ive felt pretty good. no anxiety or anything. it's been 5 days since i've taken it. however, since i've stopped ive been having flashes of lightheadedness. the lightheadedness for about 3 seconds then goes away. the flashes come and go all day long. has anyone else experienced this when coming off of pristiq or any other AD?

Posted · Report post  

i recently went off pristiq. my dr. told me NOT to quit cold turkey. that could cause complications. she told me to take one pill every other day for a week and then the next week take one pill every two days. after that week to not take the pills anymore. so far ive felt pretty good. no anxiety or anything. it's been 5 days since i've taken it. however, since i've stopped ive been having flashes of lightheadedness. the lightheadedness for about 3 seconds then goes away. the flashes come and go all day long. has anyone else experienced this when coming off of pristiq or any other AD?

Yes, I have experienced what you describe coming off Paxil. Getting off that med made all the difference in the world to me, though. I "reconnected" to life! I am now on Pristiq, and I have had what I'd call "moderate success" with this med.

To the OP, DO NOT CUT THESE PILLS!!!! To the best of my knowledge, Pristiq only comes in "CR" or continuous release form(then again, maybe it's ER, or extended release). The fact of the matter is that you risk...what's it called?.....Serotonin Syndrome, and it ain't pretty!

As has already been suggested, go down to one every other day, and so on.....Maybe you could even take your last dose as scheduled, then extend the next dose by four hours the next week, another four hours the following week, and so on....

Consult with you pharmasist or MD before doing anything. "Cold Turkey" on any AD without proper medical supervision is just a bad idea, plain and simple.

Deepster

Posted · Report post  

PRT--i really believe acupuncture works. i did out of desperation, but there is something to it. i am a believer.

Othersstar and Deepster--i am not suggesting anyone go off pristiq the way i did. when i posted the original post i was desperate and in the grips of withdrawal. pristiq did a lot of funky stuff to my body. to me it is poison. i have been on ADs for over ten years and i'm done. done. i have heard of the serotonin syndrome---my last shrink, ***** that he was, said it was a concern while i was on luvox and pristiq--when i was switching over. frankly, at that point, i didn't really care if i lived or not, so i was willing to risk any complications. i know that with pristiq you need to be careful about taking ibuproffren and tylenol and asprin because of possible stomach bleeding.

my former shrink said going off cold turkey was safe. i survived. i couldn't have worked or done anything---i had a week to be "sick". i had lightheadedness for 4-5 days straight and then it went away. i felt so lousy the first morning of not being on the pristiq, i just felt i couldn't deal with that every other day. my shrink now, whom i trust, said to cut the pills in half.

now i am also on klonopin--a cousin to xanax--and that i know you CANNOT stop suddenly. but i am even, with my shrink's help, going to wean off that. i need to be drug free. i am so tired of battling the side effects of the drugs.

in the fall i felt not quite suicidal, but the thoughts were there. now, after a change in life circumstances and almost 6 months of acupuncture, i feel hopeful for the first time in a loooong time. and i feel hopeful because i am off pristiq. to me, that is a nasty drug.

Posted (edited) · Report post  

I don't ususally post replies but wanted to share my experience with Pristiq withdrawal...maybe it will help somebody. I took Pristiq for 3 months (first 50 mg and then 100 mg) and I had terrible side effects incuding dizziness, nausea, fatigue, headache, night sweating, vivid dreams, confusion, irritability, noises in my head (ch ch sound) -- which might be brain zaps but it didn't feel like an electrical current, and weight gain. These episodes would last usually 2-3 days at a time and were completely debilitating. My Pdoc said she didn't think these symptoms were related to the med because they presented in week 3 and not week 1. I started to think I had a brain tumor or something. Went to various doctors trying to find a diagnosis. Was told I had BPPV, possibly Meneiere's Disease, and finally went to an audiologist who gave me a VNG test (vestibular test to see if my inner ear was causing the problems) to measure my eye movements. She suggested according to my test results that it could be the medication. I was so mad!! I had completey trusted my Pdoc and believed her when she said it wasn't the medication. I had no idea a medication would give someone such horrible side effects....I was very naive! I began to research Pristiq online and found forums like this with tons of people complaining about the side effects. I decided it was time to take control. I called my Pdoc and told her what was going on and she said I needed to wean myself off. I took 50 mg every other day for six days. One week ago today was the last time I took any of it. Oh, and I kicked my Pdoc to the curb....she shouldn't be prescribing this stuff if she doesn't even know what the side effects are and when they can show up!!

This past week has been one of the worst in my life. The withdrawal was even worse than the side effects. I barely got out of bed and was out of work the entire week. The nausea was the worst to deal with. I also had dizziness and a stuffy head that felt like it weighed a ton. Lots of crying jags and irritability. I haven't eaten anything except crackers due to the nausea and feel very weak. Today is day 7 off the medication and it's the first day I'm starting to feel a "lift" in the sypmtoms. Going to my general doctor today as I finally feel like I can drive. I think this poison is almost gone and I can finally get on with my life. I'm done with meds for now....my depression is 10x worse now than it was when I went on Pristiq. It's just not worth it!! I actually filed a complaint with the FDA as I feel more clinical trials (or at least a longer period of time) should have been conducted. For all the good this medication does for some people, there is just as many it harms. I don't feel that the FDA has been responsible in approving the med. If anybody else feels the same way I do, here's the link to file a complaint...pm me for the link

I wish everybody out there the best of luck if they are taking this medication and trying to get off of it. I'm hoping within a few more days I'll be back to myself again.

Edited by lonleysindy
remove link

Update...withdrawal for me lasted 17 days. Only took Pristiq for 3 months so if you take it longer, I would imagine the withdrawal could last longer.

I don't ususally post replies but wanted to share my experience with Pristiq withdrawal...maybe it will help somebody. I took Pristiq for 3 months (first 50 mg and then 100 mg) and I had terrible side effects incuding dizziness, nausea, fatigue, headache, night sweating, vivid dreams, confusion, irritability, noises in my head (ch ch sound) -- which might be brain zaps but it didn't feel like an electrical current, and weight gain. These episodes would last usually 2-3 days at a time and were completely debilitating. My Pdoc said she didn't think these symptoms were related to the med because they presented in week 3 and not week 1. I started to think I had a brain tumor or something. Went to various doctors trying to find a diagnosis. Was told I had BPPV, possibly Meneiere's Disease, and finally went to an audiologist who gave me a VNG test (vestibular test to see if my inner ear was causing the problems) to measure my eye movements. She suggested according to my test results that it could be the medication. I was so mad!! I had completey trusted my Pdoc and believed her when she said it wasn't the medication. I had no idea a medication would give someone such horrible side effects....I was very naive! I began to research Pristiq online and found forums like this with tons of people complaining about the side effects. I decided it was time to take control. I called my Pdoc and told her what was going on and she said I needed to wean myself off. I took 50 mg every other day for six days. One week ago today was the last time I took any of it. Oh, and I kicked my Pdoc to the curb....she shouldn't be prescribing this stuff if she doesn't even know what the side effects are and when they can show up!!

This past week has been one of the worst in my life. The withdrawal was even worse than the side effects. I barely got out of bed and was out of work the entire week. The nausea was the worst to deal with. I also had dizziness and a stuffy head that felt like it weighed a ton. Lots of crying jags and irritability. I haven't eaten anything except crackers due to the nausea and feel very weak. Today is day 7 off the medication and it's the first day I'm starting to feel a "lift" in the sypmtoms. Going to my general doctor today as I finally feel like I can drive. I think this poison is almost gone and I can finally get on with my life. I'm done with meds for now....my depression is 10x worse now than it was when I went on Pristiq. It's just not worth it!! I actually filed a complaint with the FDA as I feel more clinical trials (or at least a longer period of time) should have been conducted. For all the good this medication does for some people, there is just as many it harms. I don't feel that the FDA has been responsible in approving the med. If anybody else feels the same way I do, here's the link to file a complaint...pm me for the link

I wish everybody out there the best of luck if they are taking this medication and trying to get off of it. I'm hoping within a few more days I'll be back to myself again.

Edited by Kfalz

Posted · Report post  

Kfalz, thanks for your post. I am currently on Pristiq and getting ready to start the withdrawal period in about a week. I want to meet with my doctor first and discuss her recommendations for stopping. I also thought about enlisting an acupucturist to see if they can help speed up the withdrawal process, but I don't know if I am just wasting my time and money with that idea. Anyone want to post on that, I would greatly appreciate it.

Trying to get my body in shape for this by increasing my physical activity. I hope that once I get off this medication I can regulate my depressive tendencies through diet, exercise, and meditation.

Sadtab

Posted · Report post  

Hello, registered new to the group so that I could reply to this post. It seems closest to what I was looking for. I know it's been over 3 months, but maybe someone will offer a comment since then. I am writing in lieu of my daughter, who is 28 and suffers from severe MDD and SAD. We are in a difficult situation. It took a lot of time and effort to secure state insurance but does not cover anything for her depression. The local governments are in conflict and so her program was cut. She is on the pristiq plus klonopin and neurontin. None of it really helps. She's done welbutrin and lexapro, zoloft, cymbalta, and I forget the rest. Well, at least her current meds keep her from total suicide. The problem is the pristiq is too expensive. I am trying to see if Wyeth will help for now with the expense. Meanwhile, I only have a few pills left and am considering a slow withdrawal to make them last versus a cold turkey scenario. Thanks for your post since it offered some information I might be able to use. She has a regular doctor now who can monitor her progress at least in some respect. I am wondering if increasing her dosage of clonazepam during the interval will help with reducing the pristiq. She's currently on 100 mg of Pristiq which I heard is not really different from 50mg. She's on 1.5mg of clonazepam and her doctor said she could increase it to 2mg. I'm wondering if she can re-introduce welbutrin while she's on a withdrawal schedule to help. Her dr. may say yes or no (she sees her in two weeks) but I know none of this is her area since she deals mostly with physical ailments. Any suggestions? I'm looking into the acupuncture since some mentioned it helped them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Pristiq. God Bless.

hi

i'm desperate. i've been on pristiq for 9 months and i've tried to go off twice but failed after 2 1/2 days cold turkey. i want off because i have only gotten my period once--and all tests in that regard are normal--so it must be the pristiq and i have stomach/bowel problems. i have been on ADs for over 10 years---first luvox and then pristiq. i was told i could quit cold turkey. i switched from that doc. the new doc said he didn't know much about pristiq and didn't use it---i suspect the other doc was courted by wyeth. any way, the new doc suggested tapering but said we were kinda making it up as we went along. so i skipped saturday. i felt light headed and irritable. i was gonna take the pristiq today, but then i thought, sure i could feel fine, but then feel like crap again monday. my first doc told me that if i could stand it, i would be 'detoxed'--my word--after 7 days. i am going to call and talk to my current md tomorrow. although i don't have a lot of faith in him.

please---anyone who has quit the pristiq cold---how long do these symptoms last? i know it is going to get worse before it gets better. i am at 40 hours now. i am not working--i'm off for the summer as a teacher---so i can be 'sick' this week and just lay on the couch. although that is not my first choice of a summer activity. please help me---how long do these symptoms last? won't my body readjust to being without the pristiq and even out? i feel like crap. i haven't had the brain zaps yet---looking forward to that. but i've had the lightheadedness to the point of nausea, irrational thoughts, disconnected feeling, irritibility, and crying jags. please tell me i am not crazy for doing this--that it is possible to make it through. i feel like tapering would just prolong all these symptoms and i want to get it over with. i am going to see my grandparents on july 17 and really want to be stable by then.

thanks for any help

oh, i have upped my small klonopin intake---i usually take .25 mg twice a day and i've been taking twice that--which the first doc said was okay.

help.

hi

thanks for any help

help.

I am in the same situation. For seven months my Psychiatrist had me on samples which are no longer available. I was on Prozac for the prior eleven years and it was not working so well anymore. I cannot afford to pay $4 per dose for Pristiq, Wyeth, the manufacturer of Pristiq, was acquired by Pfizer. The first thing they did was suspend distributing free ssamples. They also are no longer accepting emails or telephone calls from end users. Their prescription assistance program has also been suspended. I do not know what Pfizer intends to do. My MD is on vacation and his office suggested that if I cannot afford to pay for a prescription and am experiencing problems I should go immediately to the local hopsitla emergancy room. I cannot afford that either so I guess I will quite cold turkery and hope for the best. I know more about my depressiion disorder and think I can work through it. If I become really depressed I have to keep reminding myself it is the meds talking and not really me. I would like to be off anti-dpressants altogether. The sexual side effects for me have not been fun- major impotence. I am ever hopeful that I might meet a woman and an intimate relationship flourished. You know, that is what life is all about. I forget the Saint who wrote something like "only human relationships matter, all other forms of endeavor pale in comparison." Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like what George S. Patton wrote about War. I hope I do not have the two confused :-). Make Love Not War is still a value set I believe in! This might be rambling a bit. I have mental and physical "shakes."

Good Luck to everyone trying to get clear of ADs.

Edited by ChrystalR
Posting error

Posted · Report post  

Never stop taking an antidepressant cold turkey. You will get very very sick!!!

:shocked:

I am taking effexor for 2 weeks now i am on 75 MG it doesnt do anything to me

before that i was on zoloft and for some circumstances i had to stop it cold turky....

after i quit the zoloft i have tried 4 times to commit suicide.

about a month ago i almost succeded all i know was i woke up in the hospital and didnt know ho what where ...

so now im on effexor but it aint helping i have no support from family .

even my girlfriend is not a big support when i try to talk about it no one listens.

i feel like im alone in this.

i hope it starts working soon because im afraid if it dont i might try again sigh.

Edited by adorabelle
triggering

Posted · Report post  

:sneaky2:

I am taking effexor for 2 weeks now i am on 75 MG it doesnt do anything to me

before that i was on zoloft and for some circumstances i had to stop it cold turky....

after i quit the zoloft i have tried 4 times to commit suicide.

about a month ago i almost succeded all i know was i woke up in the hospital and didnt know ho what where ...

so now im on effexor but it aint helping i have no support from family .

even my girlfriend is not a big support when i try to talk about it no one listens.

i feel like im alone in this.

i hope it starts working soon because im afraid if it dont i might try again sigh.

i'm sorry you have such a hard time finding the right meds :wwww:

never stop taking medications cold turkey, you have to wean off of them slowly.

always let your doctor know that you are thinking about stopping, they will work with you.

you are not alone, it is depression talking. hang in there, it will get better. it might take some time but it will get better again.

have you talked to your dr about other options that might be available to you?

:shocked:

Posted · Report post  

hi

thanks for any help

help.

I am in the same situation. For seven months my Psychiatrist had me on samples which are no longer available. I was on Prozac for the prior eleven years and it was not working so well anymore. I cannot afford to pay $4 per dose for Pristiq, Wyeth, the manufacturer of Pristiq, was acquired by Pfizer. The first thing they did was suspend distributing free ssamples. They also are no longer accepting emails or telephone calls from end users. Their prescription assistance program has also been suspended. I do not know what Pfizer intends to do. My MD is on vacation and his office suggested that if I cannot afford to pay for a prescription and am experiencing problems I should go immediately to the local hopsitla emergancy room. I cannot afford that either so I guess I will quite cold turkery and hope for the best. I know more about my depressiion disorder and think I can work through it. If I become really depressed I have to keep reminding myself it is the meds talking and not really me. I would like to be off anti-dpressants altogether. The sexual side effects for me have not been fun- major impotence. I am ever hopeful that I might meet a woman and an intimate relationship flourished. You know, that is what life is all about. I forget the Saint who wrote something like "only human relationships matter, all other forms of endeavor pale in comparison." Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like what George S. Patton wrote about War. I hope I do not have the two confused :-). Make Love Not War is still a value set I believe in! This might be rambling a bit. I have mental and physical "shakes."

Good Luck to everyone trying to get clear of ADs.

I was on Pristiq for a little over 7 months. For me, Pristiq worked and if I need another AD in the future I would choose this one. That being said, I no longer need the medication so I read about coming off of it. To be honest, either way it sounded like discontinuation symptoms were going to be a problem..so I stopped cold turkey. My last does was Fri. 11/20/09. So far, other than some numbness/tingling in my face & jaw & some mild dizziness & headache I am doing ok. I have heeded the advice of some here & taken cold medication which I plan to do for a week. I am laying off caffiene & drinking water more as well as taking vitamins - which I usually do anyway. If this is as bad as "cold turkey" gets I am going to consider myself VERY fortunate given the other stories here. Am hoping by the end of the week these symptoms will be reduced or long gone. Good luck -

Posted · Report post  

Oh crap! I was afraid of all this. I was on every psychiatric drug from adderall to zoloft before I finally found a geneticist who confirmed three years ago what I had known all along--that I don't have a psychiatric problem. I have a rare genetic disorder that was causing all of my "depression" symptoms--chronic pain, fatigue, etc. Now I have heart issues, too, but about a month ago, my pain management doc refused to support my disability request from work and referred me to a psychiatrist. Since it's been 10 years since I've taken paxil, prozac, effexor, etc., I reluctantly agreed to try pristiq, which the shrink assured me was "new" and "better" and wouldn't have all of those nasty sexual side effects that EVERY OTHER &$#@#$ anti-D has always had. BULL$#!&!!!!

So now, two months later, I have no sex drive and can't reach a climax and can only conclude it's the pristiq. And all the symptoms of my physical illness remain. In the past, I was able to cold turkey off everything but "side-effexor." That was a nightmare. I decided today not to take the pristiq (my geneticist STILL agrees I don't have a psych problem) and I'm feeling like crap. So I got the bright idea to google the topic and here I am. I ultimately did fine tapering from the dreaded effexor, so I may go that route if I still feel this way tomorrow. My shrink is a jerk who is impossible to get ahold of, so I have no desire to ask his opinion. I'm running out of docs I can trust. Yes, I know I'm supposed to have a doc's supervision to get of this stuff, but I'm done. I want my sex life back ASAP. I'm just so furious at myself that I didn't check all this out before I started taking this wonderful new drug. I'm usually a fiend for research. Another lesson learned the hard way. Thanks to all who have posted. I'll try to follow up with my progress.

Oh, yeah, I'm also on Vyvanse for ADD, another new and wonderful drug I took on faith without doing my homework. But I think I'll tackle that one later...

Posted · Report post  

Off Pristiq cold turkey for a week now and just today am partially relieved of the brain zaps - scary. Couldn't move my head quickly without this symptom.

Hi Everyone. Into Week 2 of Pristiq withdrawal and did it slowly and with LOTS and LOTS of water. If we had a water shortage before - it's even worse now as I feel like I have drunk half of the city's supply.

My only question for those who have come off the medication - did anyone else experience really sore joints and muscles? Am a fairly active guy - run, swim , light weights - but the thought of doing any of that of late has not been priority - as I am moving like an old man (I don't consider 46 old thank you...)

The dreams are slowly abating too - but they still zap you ...

For those considering reducing / stopping meds - please consult your medical advisors - these things are not "lollies" and shouldn't be mucked around with.

Good luck to everyone. Any comments about the muscle soreness and their experiences of coming off Pristiq completely would be appreciated.

Edited by ausbam

Posted · Report post  

Hi Everyone. Into Week 2 of Pristiq withdrawal and did it slowly and with LOTS and LOTS of water. If we had a water shortage before - it's even worse now as I feel like I have drunk half of the city's supply.

My only question for those who have come off the medication - did anyone else experience really sore joints and muscles? Am a fairly active guy - run, swim , light weights - but the thought of doing any of that of late has not been priority - as I am moving like an old man (I don't consider 46 old thank you...)

The dreams are slowly abating too - but they still zap you ...

For those considering reducing / stopping meds - please consult your medical advisors - these things are not "lollies" and shouldn't be mucked around with.

Good luck to everyone. Any comments about the muscle soreness and their experiences of coming off Pristiq completely would be appreciated.

Just found this forum recently. It has been a real blessing. I've been on Pristiq for the past 3 months and just getting off now. Did not like the side effects at all. Was getting increasing headaches the longer I was on the med, plus constant fuzziness of my head. Began to take off the Pristiq 10 days ago and stopped it 5 days ago. Since then I have had an increase in head fuzziness, waves of nausea, increased insomnia, burning sensations in my arms, back and chest, increased anxiety and agitation. All pretty normal for Pristiq discontinuation. No muscle aches or sore joints. Looks like this lasts a week for most people and I should feel lucky I don't seem to be as bad off as some. I am glad to know other peoples experiences and that I am not alone. I was getting pretty bummed today thinking that these feelings were going to go on for a long time.

My taper schedule according to my dpoc was to cut the pills in 1/2 for 4 days then stop. That might be a little fast for some people but my headaches from the Pristiq were getting pretty bad. About cutting pills Wyeth cannot recommend you do that for legal reasons since this is a time-release formula with double encapsulation, but by doc said that is the way to go. If you look at the 1/2 life studies, there is only 10% of the med at 48 hours, so if you go the every other day then every 3rd day route, you will have withdrawal symptoms at the end of the second day every time you take the med. I suppose you could go with a slower taper, like 3/4 tab for a week, 1/2 tab for a week, 1/4 tab for a week depending on how you feel.

I had some Valium from earlier time and have found it helpful with the anxiety. Just a little bit goes a long way. Also taking Zofran for the nausea and Ambien for sleep (just getting about 5 hours right now).

Good luck all, Hopefully I can update you all in a few days and I will be feeling much better.

Posted · Report post  

Hey folks,

I have nothing to add re: side effects. Am really angry with my GP who gave me the 'Here is a new drug', knowing that Effexor was no good for me.

I gave it 6 months. I discussed with my brother-in-law, who is a hospital pharmacist, and he suggested trying Effexor to ween off the pristiq. 50mg of Pristiq is basically the same as 100mg of Effexor, so I saw and discussed it with a doctor. I got a script for the one month 37.5 mg dose of Effexor. 2 Capsules per day for a week, then one capsule per day for a week, and if needed one every other day.

Tomorrow is the end of my second week. Last week was better than I expected (I went two days without Pristiq at one stage and had a breakdown). Increased headaches, increased fatigue, but mentally and emotionally good. Week two and the headaches have improved. I've had the shakes and been an emotional mess, until today, day 13. I'm feeling pretty good. On top of things mentally, emotionally, have a mild headache, but nothing bad.

I've been on Panadine Forte for headaches, and Mersyndol for muscle aches and to help sleep (nott at the same time though). Lots of water and Gaterade, and lots of love and patience from my wife, and also from my family.

I don't know what happens once I'm free of this vile drug, but I'm sure it will be better than the last 6 months.

Good luck people.

Posted · Report post  

I always bring my meds with me to my boyfriends. Due to the recent snowstorm on the East Coast, I've been here longer than expected and was unable to make it to my house to get more. I took my last 100mg Prestiq and 100mg Seroquel on Weds. night...it's now Saturday. I feel awful. I'm lightheaded, dizzy, and so very sad. All I want to do is cry. I find myself just staring off into nothing. The last two nights I've woken up sweating and have had the craziest dreams. Anyway, please, please, please don't go off your meds cold-turkey. If I wasn't in the comfort of home, I would not be functioning very well. Reading everyone's posts makes me feel a lot less 'crazy'. I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to get my meds. today.