Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Do Pristiq Withdrawl Symptoms Last

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 worry girl

worry girl

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

hi

i'm desperate. i've been on pristiq for 9 months and i've tried to go off twice but failed after 2 1/2 days cold turkey. i want off because i have only gotten my period once--and all tests in that regard are normal--so it must be the pristiq and i have stomach/bowel problems. i have been on ADs for over 10 years---first luvox and then pristiq. i was told i could quit cold turkey. i switched from that doc. the new doc said he didn't know much about pristiq and didn't use it---i suspect the other doc was courted by wyeth. any way, the new doc suggested tapering but said we were kinda making it up as we went along. so i skipped saturday. i felt light headed and irritable. i was gonna take the pristiq today, but then i thought, sure i could feel fine, but then feel like crap again monday. my first doc told me that if i could stand it, i would be 'detoxed'--my word--after 7 days. i am going to call and talk to my current md tomorrow. although i don't have a lot of faith in him.

please---anyone who has quit the pristiq cold---how long do these symptoms last? i know it is going to get worse before it gets better. i am at 40 hours now. i am not working--i'm off for the summer as a teacher---so i can be 'sick' this week and just lay on the couch. although that is not my first choice of a summer activity. please help me---how long do these symptoms last? won't my body readjust to being without the pristiq and even out? i feel like crap. i haven't had the brain zaps yet---looking forward to that. but i've had the lightheadedness to the point of nausea, irrational thoughts, disconnected feeling, irritibility, and crying jags. please tell me i am not crazy for doing this--that it is possible to make it through. i feel like tapering would just prolong all these symptoms and i want to get it over with. i am going to see my grandparents on july 17 and really want to be stable by then.

thanks for any help

oh, i have upped my small klonopin intake---i usually take .25 mg twice a day and i've been taking twice that--which the first doc said was okay.

help.

#2 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

:hearts: to DF worrygirl

Pristiq is very simular to effexor. Most people taper off that. I would try tapering like your Doctor says. hopefully some-one will come along that is more familar with pristiq then I am
Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

#3 worry girl

worry girl

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

:hearts: to DF worrygirl

Pristiq is very simular to effexor. Most people taper off that. I would try tapering like your Doctor says. hopefully some-one will come along that is more familar with pristiq then I am

thanks. for the advice. i just don't want to prolong the symptoms. but i will call my md tomorrow. i hope he'll talk to me over the phone. my last md wouldn't. i can't drive an hour in this condition. thanks for the welcome too.

#4 worry girl

worry girl

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

the answer for me about how long the pristiq withdrawal lasts---7 days. i stopped taking it on a saturday morning (last saturday) and i finally felt like myself the following friday and saturday. it was pretty awful. lightheadedness, uncontrollable crying jags (still a bit teary), shakiness, hot/cold flashes, irrational thinking, upset stomach/bowels (not as bad as i expected), inability to concentrate and be coherent (still seem so mistype words, which is out of the norm for me), and general despair that it'd never end. but it did. i am on the other side of that *#@#*&#$% drug. i am done. i am not going on an AD again. i don't know if my depression was ever that severe....but the answer is 7 days cold turkey. i wasn't working---i am off for the summer--and i couldn't have done it while working. it can be done. good luck and blessed be.

positive changes since:

I got my period which i had only once while on the pristiq for 9 months. that always bugged me. i had been clockwork regular especially since i was on the pill

I actually feel like i want to have sex---something which the ADs had always zapped out of me.

#5 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hurray Worry Girl!! :hearts:

This is great news to here as I'm currently weaning off my ADs. Can't wait for the benefits!! xx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#6 worry girl

worry girl

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

best of luck. really. it was one of the hardest things i have ever done. and i don't know what meds you are on, but for me, it did get better. my body is still adjusting, but i am so glad to be off the da-n things. there has got to be another way. acupuncture has helped me a great deal.

#7 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

I;ve heard that about acupuncture. I also have back pain so I really might give it a whirl if I have trouble.
I take citalopram and I've heard mixed reports about the withdrawal. I had quite a hard time getting used to them though so I'm prepared for the worst.....I think!
I hope I'll feel more alive again, although don't want to go back to the crying!! xx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#8 Ottersstar

Ottersstar

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

i recently went off pristiq. my dr. told me NOT to quit cold turkey. that could cause complications. she told me to take one pill every other day for a week and then the next week take one pill every two days. after that week to not take the pills anymore. so far ive felt pretty good. no anxiety or anything. it's been 5 days since i've taken it. however, since i've stopped ive been having flashes of lightheadedness. the lightheadedness for about 3 seconds then goes away. the flashes come and go all day long. has anyone else experienced this when coming off of pristiq or any other AD?

#9 Deepster

Deepster

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

i recently went off pristiq. my dr. told me NOT to quit cold turkey. that could cause complications. she told me to take one pill every other day for a week and then the next week take one pill every two days. after that week to not take the pills anymore. so far ive felt pretty good. no anxiety or anything. it's been 5 days since i've taken it. however, since i've stopped ive been having flashes of lightheadedness. the lightheadedness for about 3 seconds then goes away. the flashes come and go all day long. has anyone else experienced this when coming off of pristiq or any other AD?

Yes, I have experienced what you describe coming off Paxil. Getting off that med made all the difference in the world to me, though. I "reconnected" to life! I am now on Pristiq, and I have had what I'd call "moderate success" with this med.

To the OP, DO NOT CUT THESE PILLS!!!! To the best of my knowledge, Pristiq only comes in "CR" or continuous release form(then again, maybe it's ER, or extended release). The fact of the matter is that you risk...what's it called?.....Serotonin Syndrome, and it ain't pretty!

As has already been suggested, go down to one every other day, and so on.....Maybe you could even take your last dose as scheduled, then extend the next dose by four hours the next week, another four hours the following week, and so on....

Consult with you pharmasist or MD before doing anything. "Cold Turkey" on any AD without proper medical supervision is just a bad idea, plain and simple.

Deepster
Posted Image

#10 worry girl

worry girl

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

PRT--i really believe acupuncture works. i did out of desperation, but there is something to it. i am a believer.

Othersstar and Deepster--i am not suggesting anyone go off pristiq the way i did. when i posted the original post i was desperate and in the grips of withdrawal. pristiq did a lot of funky stuff to my body. to me it is poison. i have been on ADs for over ten years and i'm done. done. i have heard of the serotonin syndrome---my last shrink, ***** that he was, said it was a concern while i was on luvox and pristiq--when i was switching over. frankly, at that point, i didn't really care if i lived or not, so i was willing to risk any complications. i know that with pristiq you need to be careful about taking ibuproffren and tylenol and asprin because of possible stomach bleeding.

my former shrink said going off cold turkey was safe. i survived. i couldn't have worked or done anything---i had a week to be "sick". i had lightheadedness for 4-5 days straight and then it went away. i felt so lousy the first morning of not being on the pristiq, i just felt i couldn't deal with that every other day. my shrink now, whom i trust, said to cut the pills in half.

now i am also on klonopin--a cousin to xanax--and that i know you CANNOT stop suddenly. but i am even, with my shrink's help, going to wean off that. i need to be drug free. i am so tired of battling the side effects of the drugs.

in the fall i felt not quite suicidal, but the thoughts were there. now, after a change in life circumstances and almost 6 months of acupuncture, i feel hopeful for the first time in a loooong time. and i feel hopeful because i am off pristiq. to me, that is a nasty drug.

#11 Kfalz

Kfalz

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

I don't ususally post replies but wanted to share my experience with Pristiq withdrawal...maybe it will help somebody. I took Pristiq for 3 months (first 50 mg and then 100 mg) and I had terrible side effects incuding dizziness, nausea, fatigue, headache, night sweating, vivid dreams, confusion, irritability, noises in my head (ch ch sound) -- which might be brain zaps but it didn't feel like an electrical current, and weight gain. These episodes would last usually 2-3 days at a time and were completely debilitating. My Pdoc said she didn't think these symptoms were related to the med because they presented in week 3 and not week 1. I started to think I had a brain tumor or something. Went to various doctors trying to find a diagnosis. Was told I had BPPV, possibly Meneiere's Disease, and finally went to an audiologist who gave me a VNG test (vestibular test to see if my inner ear was causing the problems) to measure my eye movements. She suggested according to my test results that it could be the medication. I was so mad!! I had completey trusted my Pdoc and believed her when she said it wasn't the medication. I had no idea a medication would give someone such horrible side effects....I was very naive! I began to research Pristiq online and found forums like this with tons of people complaining about the side effects. I decided it was time to take control. I called my Pdoc and told her what was going on and she said I needed to wean myself off. I took 50 mg every other day for six days. One week ago today was the last time I took any of it. Oh, and I kicked my Pdoc to the curb....she shouldn't be prescribing this stuff if she doesn't even know what the side effects are and when they can show up!!

This past week has been one of the worst in my life. The withdrawal was even worse than the side effects. I barely got out of bed and was out of work the entire week. The nausea was the worst to deal with. I also had dizziness and a stuffy head that felt like it weighed a ton. Lots of crying jags and irritability. I haven't eaten anything except crackers due to the nausea and feel very weak. Today is day 7 off the medication and it's the first day I'm starting to feel a "lift" in the sypmtoms. Going to my general doctor today as I finally feel like I can drive. I think this poison is almost gone and I can finally get on with my life. I'm done with meds for now....my depression is 10x worse now than it was when I went on Pristiq. It's just not worth it!! I actually filed a complaint with the FDA as I feel more clinical trials (or at least a longer period of time) should have been conducted. For all the good this medication does for some people, there is just as many it harms. I don't feel that the FDA has been responsible in approving the med. If anybody else feels the same way I do, here's the link to file a complaint...pm me for the link

I wish everybody out there the best of luck if they are taking this medication and trying to get off of it. I'm hoping within a few more days I'll be back to myself again.

Edited by lonleysindy, 24 July 2009 - 02:26 PM.
remove link

#12 Kfalz

Kfalz

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Update...withdrawal for me lasted 17 days. Only took Pristiq for 3 months so if you take it longer, I would imagine the withdrawal could last longer.

I don't ususally post replies but wanted to share my experience with Pristiq withdrawal...maybe it will help somebody. I took Pristiq for 3 months (first 50 mg and then 100 mg) and I had terrible side effects incuding dizziness, nausea, fatigue, headache, night sweating, vivid dreams, confusion, irritability, noises in my head (ch ch sound) -- which might be brain zaps but it didn't feel like an electrical current, and weight gain. These episodes would last usually 2-3 days at a time and were completely debilitating. My Pdoc said she didn't think these symptoms were related to the med because they presented in week 3 and not week 1. I started to think I had a brain tumor or something. Went to various doctors trying to find a diagnosis. Was told I had BPPV, possibly Meneiere's Disease, and finally went to an audiologist who gave me a VNG test (vestibular test to see if my inner ear was causing the problems) to measure my eye movements. She suggested according to my test results that it could be the medication. I was so mad!! I had completey trusted my Pdoc and believed her when she said it wasn't the medication. I had no idea a medication would give someone such horrible side effects....I was very naive! I began to research Pristiq online and found forums like this with tons of people complaining about the side effects. I decided it was time to take control. I called my Pdoc and told her what was going on and she said I needed to wean myself off. I took 50 mg every other day for six days. One week ago today was the last time I took any of it. Oh, and I kicked my Pdoc to the curb....she shouldn't be prescribing this stuff if she doesn't even know what the side effects are and when they can show up!!

This past week has been one of the worst in my life. The withdrawal was even worse than the side effects. I barely got out of bed and was out of work the entire week. The nausea was the worst to deal with. I also had dizziness and a stuffy head that felt like it weighed a ton. Lots of crying jags and irritability. I haven't eaten anything except crackers due to the nausea and feel very weak. Today is day 7 off the medication and it's the first day I'm starting to feel a "lift" in the sypmtoms. Going to my general doctor today as I finally feel like I can drive. I think this poison is almost gone and I can finally get on with my life. I'm done with meds for now....my depression is 10x worse now than it was when I went on Pristiq. It's just not worth it!! I actually filed a complaint with the FDA as I feel more clinical trials (or at least a longer period of time) should have been conducted. For all the good this medication does for some people, there is just as many it harms. I don't feel that the FDA has been responsible in approving the med. If anybody else feels the same way I do, here's the link to file a complaint...pm me for the link

I wish everybody out there the best of luck if they are taking this medication and trying to get off of it. I'm hoping within a few more days I'll be back to myself again.

Edited by Kfalz, 04 August 2009 - 08:45 AM.

#13 Sadtabbers

Sadtabbers

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

Kfalz, thanks for your post. I am currently on Pristiq and getting ready to start the withdrawal period in about a week. I want to meet with my doctor first and discuss her recommendations for stopping. I also thought about enlisting an acupucturist to see if they can help speed up the withdrawal process, but I don't know if I am just wasting my time and money with that idea. Anyone want to post on that, I would greatly appreciate it.

Trying to get my body in shape for this by increasing my physical activity. I hope that once I get off this medication I can regulate my depressive tendencies through diet, exercise, and meditation.

Sadtab

#14 stdymphna

stdymphna

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

Hello, registered new to the group so that I could reply to this post. It seems closest to what I was looking for. I know it's been over 3 months, but maybe someone will offer a comment since then. I am writing in lieu of my daughter, who is 28 and suffers from severe MDD and SAD. We are in a difficult situation. It took a lot of time and effort to secure state insurance but does not cover anything for her depression. The local governments are in conflict and so her program was cut. She is on the pristiq plus klonopin and neurontin. None of it really helps. She's done welbutrin and lexapro, zoloft, cymbalta, and I forget the rest. Well, at least her current meds keep her from total suicide. The problem is the pristiq is too expensive. I am trying to see if Wyeth will help for now with the expense. Meanwhile, I only have a few pills left and am considering a slow withdrawal to make them last versus a cold turkey scenario. Thanks for your post since it offered some information I might be able to use. She has a regular doctor now who can monitor her progress at least in some respect. I am wondering if increasing her dosage of clonazepam during the interval will help with reducing the pristiq. She's currently on 100 mg of Pristiq which I heard is not really different from 50mg. She's on 1.5mg of clonazepam and her doctor said she could increase it to 2mg. I'm wondering if she can re-introduce welbutrin while she's on a withdrawal schedule to help. Her dr. may say yes or no (she sees her in two weeks) but I know none of this is her area since she deals mostly with physical ailments. Any suggestions? I'm looking into the acupuncture since some mentioned it helped them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Pristiq. God Bless.

hi

i'm desperate. i've been on pristiq for 9 months and i've tried to go off twice but failed after 2 1/2 days cold turkey. i want off because i have only gotten my period once--and all tests in that regard are normal--so it must be the pristiq and i have stomach/bowel problems. i have been on ADs for over 10 years---first luvox and then pristiq. i was told i could quit cold turkey. i switched from that doc. the new doc said he didn't know much about pristiq and didn't use it---i suspect the other doc was courted by wyeth. any way, the new doc suggested tapering but said we were kinda making it up as we went along. so i skipped saturday. i felt light headed and irritable. i was gonna take the pristiq today, but then i thought, sure i could feel fine, but then feel like crap again monday. my first doc told me that if i could stand it, i would be 'detoxed'--my word--after 7 days. i am going to call and talk to my current md tomorrow. although i don't have a lot of faith in him.

please---anyone who has quit the pristiq cold---how long do these symptoms last? i know it is going to get worse before it gets better. i am at 40 hours now. i am not working--i'm off for the summer as a teacher---so i can be 'sick' this week and just lay on the couch. although that is not my first choice of a summer activity. please help me---how long do these symptoms last? won't my body readjust to being without the pristiq and even out? i feel like crap. i haven't had the brain zaps yet---looking forward to that. but i've had the lightheadedness to the point of nausea, irrational thoughts, disconnected feeling, irritibility, and crying jags. please tell me i am not crazy for doing this--that it is possible to make it through. i feel like tapering would just prolong all these symptoms and i want to get it over with. i am going to see my grandparents on july 17 and really want to be stable by then.

thanks for any help

oh, i have upped my small klonopin intake---i usually take .25 mg twice a day and i've been taking twice that--which the first doc said was okay.

help.

#15 Quasimodo

Quasimodo

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:16 PM

hi

thanks for any help

help.

I am in the same situation. For seven months my Psychiatrist had me on samples which are no longer available. I was on Prozac for the prior eleven years and it was not working so well anymore. I cannot afford to pay $4 per dose for Pristiq, Wyeth, the manufacturer of Pristiq, was acquired by Pfizer. The first thing they did was suspend distributing free ssamples. They also are no longer accepting emails or telephone calls from end users. Their prescription assistance program has also been suspended. I do not know what Pfizer intends to do. My MD is on vacation and his office suggested that if I cannot afford to pay for a prescription and am experiencing problems I should go immediately to the local hopsitla emergancy room. I cannot afford that either so I guess I will quite cold turkery and hope for the best. I know more about my depressiion disorder and think I can work through it. If I become really depressed I have to keep reminding myself it is the meds talking and not really me. I would like to be off anti-dpressants altogether. The sexual side effects for me have not been fun- major impotence. I am ever hopeful that I might meet a woman and an intimate relationship flourished. You know, that is what life is all about. I forget the Saint who wrote something like "only human relationships matter, all other forms of endeavor pale in comparison." Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like what George S. Patton wrote about War. I hope I do not have the two confused :-). Make Love Not War is still a value set I believe in! This might be rambling a bit. I have mental and physical "shakes."

Good Luck to everyone trying to get clear of ADs.

Edited by ChrystalR, 30 October 2009 - 05:20 PM.
Posting error

#16 needhelpme

needhelpme

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

Never stop taking an antidepressant cold turkey. You will get very very sick!!!

#17 ltcmdrdata38

ltcmdrdata38

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

:shocked:
I am taking effexor for 2 weeks now i am on 75 MG it doesnt do anything to me
before that i was on zoloft and for some circumstances i had to stop it cold turky....
after i quit the zoloft i have tried 4 times to commit suicide.
about a month ago i almost succeded all i know was i woke up in the hospital and didnt know ho what where ...
so now im on effexor but it aint helping i have no support from family .
even my girlfriend is not a big support when i try to talk about it no one listens.
i feel like im alone in this.
i hope it starts working soon because im afraid if it dont i might try again sigh.

Edited by adorabelle, 01 November 2009 - 08:37 PM.
triggering

#18 adorabelle

adorabelle

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

:sneaky2:
I am taking effexor for 2 weeks now i am on 75 MG it doesnt do anything to me
before that i was on zoloft and for some circumstances i had to stop it cold turky....
after i quit the zoloft i have tried 4 times to commit suicide.
about a month ago i almost succeded all i know was i woke up in the hospital and didnt know ho what where ...
so now im on effexor but it aint helping i have no support from family .
even my girlfriend is not a big support when i try to talk about it no one listens.
i feel like im alone in this.
i hope it starts working soon because im afraid if it dont i might try again sigh.

i'm sorry you have such a hard time finding the right meds :wwww:
never stop taking medications cold turkey, you have to wean off of them slowly.
always let your doctor know that you are thinking about stopping, they will work with you.
you are not alone, it is depression talking. hang in there, it will get better. it might take some time but it will get better again.
have you talked to your dr about other options that might be available to you?

:shocked:
I'm too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and way too determined to be defeated. 

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#19 Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:35 AM

hi

thanks for any help

help.

I am in the same situation. For seven months my Psychiatrist had me on samples which are no longer available. I was on Prozac for the prior eleven years and it was not working so well anymore. I cannot afford to pay $4 per dose for Pristiq, Wyeth, the manufacturer of Pristiq, was acquired by Pfizer. The first thing they did was suspend distributing free ssamples. They also are no longer accepting emails or telephone calls from end users. Their prescription assistance program has also been suspended. I do not know what Pfizer intends to do. My MD is on vacation and his office suggested that if I cannot afford to pay for a prescription and am experiencing problems I should go immediately to the local hopsitla emergancy room. I cannot afford that either so I guess I will quite cold turkery and hope for the best. I know more about my depressiion disorder and think I can work through it. If I become really depressed I have to keep reminding myself it is the meds talking and not really me. I would like to be off anti-dpressants altogether. The sexual side effects for me have not been fun- major impotence. I am ever hopeful that I might meet a woman and an intimate relationship flourished. You know, that is what life is all about. I forget the Saint who wrote something like "only human relationships matter, all other forms of endeavor pale in comparison." Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like what George S. Patton wrote about War. I hope I do not have the two confused :-). Make Love Not War is still a value set I believe in! This might be rambling a bit. I have mental and physical "shakes."

Good Luck to everyone trying to get clear of ADs.

I was on Pristiq for a little over 7 months. For me, Pristiq worked and if I need another AD in the future I would choose this one. That being said, I no longer need the medication so I read about coming off of it. To be honest, either way it sounded like discontinuation symptoms were going to be a problem..so I stopped cold turkey. My last does was Fri. 11/20/09. So far, other than some numbness/tingling in my face & jaw & some mild dizziness & headache I am doing ok. I have heeded the advice of some here & taken cold medication which I plan to do for a week. I am laying off caffiene & drinking water more as well as taking vitamins - which I usually do anyway. If this is as bad as "cold turkey" gets I am going to consider myself VERY fortunate given the other stories here. Am hoping by the end of the week these symptoms will be reduced or long gone. Good luck -

#20 Elastigirl

Elastigirl

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

Oh crap! I was afraid of all this. I was on every psychiatric drug from adderall to zoloft before I finally found a geneticist who confirmed three years ago what I had known all along--that I don't have a psychiatric problem. I have a rare genetic disorder that was causing all of my "depression" symptoms--chronic pain, fatigue, etc. Now I have heart issues, too, but about a month ago, my pain management doc refused to support my disability request from work and referred me to a psychiatrist. Since it's been 10 years since I've taken paxil, prozac, effexor, etc., I reluctantly agreed to try pristiq, which the shrink assured me was "new" and "better" and wouldn't have all of those nasty sexual side effects that EVERY OTHER &$#@#$ anti-D has always had. BULL$#!&!!!!

So now, two months later, I have no sex drive and can't reach a climax and can only conclude it's the pristiq. And all the symptoms of my physical illness remain. In the past, I was able to cold turkey off everything but "side-effexor." That was a nightmare. I decided today not to take the pristiq (my geneticist STILL agrees I don't have a psych problem) and I'm feeling like crap. So I got the bright idea to google the topic and here I am. I ultimately did fine tapering from the dreaded effexor, so I may go that route if I still feel this way tomorrow. My shrink is a jerk who is impossible to get ahold of, so I have no desire to ask his opinion. I'm running out of docs I can trust. Yes, I know I'm supposed to have a doc's supervision to get of this stuff, but I'm done. I want my sex life back ASAP. I'm just so furious at myself that I didn't check all this out before I started taking this wonderful new drug. I'm usually a fiend for research. Another lesson learned the hard way. Thanks to all who have posted. I'll try to follow up with my progress.

Oh, yeah, I'm also on Vyvanse for ADD, another new and wonderful drug I took on faith without doing my homework. But I think I'll tackle that one later...

#21 etu1972

etu1972

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

Off Pristiq cold turkey for a week now and just today am partially relieved of the brain zaps - scary. Couldn't move my head quickly without this symptom.

#22 ausbam

ausbam

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:24 AM

Hi Everyone. Into Week 2 of Pristiq withdrawal and did it slowly and with LOTS and LOTS of water. If we had a water shortage before - it's even worse now as I feel like I have drunk half of the city's supply.

My only question for those who have come off the medication - did anyone else experience really sore joints and muscles? Am a fairly active guy - run, swim , light weights - but the thought of doing any of that of late has not been priority - as I am moving like an old man (I don't consider 46 old thank you...)

The dreams are slowly abating too - but they still zap you ...

For those considering reducing / stopping meds - please consult your medical advisors - these things are not "lollies" and shouldn't be mucked around with.

Good luck to everyone. Any comments about the muscle soreness and their experiences of coming off Pristiq completely would be appreciated.

Edited by ausbam, 15 December 2009 - 08:26 AM.

#23 saddad

saddad

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

Hi Everyone. Into Week 2 of Pristiq withdrawal and did it slowly and with LOTS and LOTS of water. If we had a water shortage before - it's even worse now as I feel like I have drunk half of the city's supply.

My only question for those who have come off the medication - did anyone else experience really sore joints and muscles? Am a fairly active guy - run, swim , light weights - but the thought of doing any of that of late has not been priority - as I am moving like an old man (I don't consider 46 old thank you...)

For those considering reducing / stopping meds - please consult your medical advisors - these things are not "lollies" and shouldn't be mucked around with.

Good luck to everyone. Any comments about the muscle soreness and their experiences of coming off Pristiq completely would be appreciated.

Just found this forum recently. It has been a real blessing. I've been on Pristiq for the past 3 months and just getting off now. Did not like the side effects at all. Was getting increasing headaches the longer I was on the med, plus constant fuzziness of my head. Began to take off the Pristiq 10 days ago and stopped it 5 days ago. Since then I have had an increase in head fuzziness, waves of nausea, increased insomnia, burning sensations in my arms, back and chest, increased anxiety and agitation. All pretty normal for Pristiq discontinuation. No muscle aches or sore joints. Looks like this lasts a week for most people and I should feel lucky I don't seem to be as bad off as some. I am glad to know other peoples experiences and that I am not alone. I was getting pretty bummed today thinking that these feelings were going to go on for a long time.

My taper schedule according to my dpoc was to cut the pills in 1/2 for 4 days then stop. That might be a little fast for some people but my headaches from the Pristiq were getting pretty bad. About cutting pills Wyeth cannot recommend you do that for legal reasons since this is a time-release formula with double encapsulation, but by doc said that is the way to go. If you look at the 1/2 life studies, there is only 10% of the med at 48 hours, so if you go the every other day then every 3rd day route, you will have withdrawal symptoms at the end of the second day every time you take the med. I suppose you could go with a slower taper, like 3/4 tab for a week, 1/2 tab for a week, 1/4 tab for a week depending on how you feel.

I had some Valium from earlier time and have found it helpful with the anxiety. Just a little bit goes a long way. Also taking Zofran for the nausea and Ambien for sleep (just getting about 5 hours right now).

Good luck all, Hopefully I can update you all in a few days and I will be feeling much better.

#24 blackwithink

blackwithink

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:17 AM

Hey folks,

I have nothing to add re: side effects. Am really angry with my GP who gave me the 'Here is a new drug', knowing that Effexor was no good for me.

I gave it 6 months. I discussed with my brother-in-law, who is a hospital pharmacist, and he suggested trying Effexor to ween off the pristiq. 50mg of Pristiq is basically the same as 100mg of Effexor, so I saw and discussed it with a doctor. I got a script for the one month 37.5 mg dose of Effexor. 2 Capsules per day for a week, then one capsule per day for a week, and if needed one every other day.

Tomorrow is the end of my second week. Last week was better than I expected (I went two days without Pristiq at one stage and had a breakdown). Increased headaches, increased fatigue, but mentally and emotionally good. Week two and the headaches have improved. I've had the shakes and been an emotional mess, until today, day 13. I'm feeling pretty good. On top of things mentally, emotionally, have a mild headache, but nothing bad.

I've been on Panadine Forte for headaches, and Mersyndol for muscle aches and to help sleep (nott at the same time though). Lots of water and Gaterade, and lots of love and patience from my wife, and also from my family.

I don't know what happens once I'm free of this vile drug, but I'm sure it will be better than the last 6 months.

Good luck people.

#25 wildfire88

wildfire88

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

I always bring my meds with me to my boyfriends. Due to the recent snowstorm on the East Coast, I've been here longer than expected and was unable to make it to my house to get more. I took my last 100mg Prestiq and 100mg Seroquel on Weds. night...it's now Saturday. I feel awful. I'm lightheaded, dizzy, and so very sad. All I want to do is cry. I find myself just staring off into nothing. The last two nights I've woken up sweating and have had the craziest dreams. Anyway, please, please, please don't go off your meds cold-turkey. If I wasn't in the comfort of home, I would not be functioning very well. Reading everyone's posts makes me feel a lot less 'crazy'. I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to get my meds. today.

#26 cabogirl

cabogirl

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:32 AM

I am grateful to have found this site as I am currently withdrawing from Pristiq. Quick background, suffered my first "real" bout of depression over the summer & went to see a local doc who prescribed me Pristiq. I had never been on an antidepressant before, and almost quit taking it within the 1st week due to the brutal side effects I experienced (mostly extreme nausea & insomnia worse than I'd ever had!). Needless to say - I toughed it out & did notice an improvement in my mood. Unfortunately, after the first few months, I didn't really feel like it was working for me and I was very tired, and having issues with shortness of breath, extreme sweating & a bounding pulse every time that I so much as walked across the room. I saw a new doctor who ran my blood work, only to find that in the 5 months of taking Pristiq, not only had my blood pressure risen (from 100/70 to 140/85), but my cholesterol & triglycerides also were elevated. I had never had a problem with any of these issues prior to Pristiq. So - the doc recommended a slow taper. Pushing back my dose by a few hours each day, then going to every 36 hours, finally to every other day. I did that for about 2 weeks with minimal side effects. I then decided to try to cold turkey it and lasted about 3 days before the dizziness & overall nasty feelings got the best of me and I cut up one of my pills (I know - were not supposed to!), but I took a 1/4 pill and it seemed to help. I have now been Pristiq free for 7 days... and it has not been fun! Everyday I keep hoping I'll wake up and the "dizziness/brain zaps" will be gone. That has yet to subside & it seems to be exacerbated by lack of sleep. I have noticed a decrease in the severity at different times during the day, but for the most part - by the end of the day I feel awful! I have tried everything that I have read about to help decrease symptoms (benedryl, cold medicine, fish oil), but haven't really noticed much of a difference. I'm praying that things start to get better over the next few days as I am returning to school on Tuesday & really need to have my full concentration back! While I believe that antidepressants benefit some people, after this whole experience - I can say that I will never go this route again! I've found that weekly therapy has helped far more than this "magic" pill. The side effects, negative effects on my health, and these God-awful withdrawal symptoms simply are not worth it for me. I will continue to follow this post & add my progress as I go. I'm thankful to have found a group of people who understand what I'm going through. I hope all of us will begin to feel better soon!

#27 beez123

beez123

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hi all,
I am so freaked out and PO right now at my doctor... 3 months ago I went to the Dr cuz I was very tired and just generally did not have any energy. I thought I was having thyroid issues... ( I have never had a history of depression.. and I work 3 12 hour night shifts a week..) anyway the Dr convinced me that I was depressed... He prescribed Pristiq the first week of taking the medication I was very irritable shakes and felt agitated.. I also got very sick the same time with H1N1 so I just kept taking the medication because the doctor told me to... So now I have been on the medication for three months.. I have gained about 15 pounds.. I sleep all the time and when I am not sleeping that is all i feel like doing.. I have no sex drive or sensation in that area.. which my husband does not like.. I just want off of this medications...Oh yeah it is also expensive..the doctor gave me two months of free pills.. I stopped taking it two days ago and my head is throbbing and had no idea about the side effects of this medication I just trusted my Dr... I am so glad I found this forum from the looks of it I guess i will feel pretty bad for the next couple days.. I learned a really good lesson from this experience. I don't trust my MD.

Edited by iowa, 16 February 2010 - 02:49 PM.
bashing

#28 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

It is never a good idea to stop taking an anti-depressant without a doctor's supervision as they can help you get off it safely with less side effects.
If you are able to see a psychiatrist, they are better for recommending a medication. They have more training, education and experience in diagnosing psychiatric illnesses and prescribing medications.
iowa

#29 DizzyDays

DizzyDays

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

So I am on day 6 of cold turkey withdraw from Pristiq. I had taken effexor for 7 years for anxiety disorder, but it slowly stopped working. A new doctor prescribed Pristiq. I was on 50mg of Pristiq for 3 months with no results so Dr. increased to 100mg. Within 2 weeks of the increase I got up out of bed and passed out. I was diagnosed with a blood pressure problem and put on beta blockers. My cardiologist was truly baffled by how all of the sudden i could develop this BP problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Pristiq was to blame. The combination of the pristiq and the beta blockers put me into a horrible no reason to live depression. My psych had the great idea to go cold turkey off of the pristiq since it wasn't working anyway.

Day 1 - got my "medicine headache" which is the headache that reminded you to take the medicine when you forget it. I am sure you all know what I mean.

Day 2 - I felt like i was on a boat allllllllllll day. Horrible dizzy and nauseous. Barely wanted to leave my house. Fleeting thoughts of not wanting to live (I have never had problems with depression until I started on Pristiq)

Day 3 - Dizziness and nauseousness worse than the day before. I ended up in the hospital because my blood pressure bottomed out. The hospital staff treated me like a mental patient. They said I came off agitated. You're D*** right I was agitated! I was told by my psych that I would have no trouble coming off the Pristiq cold turkey. I felt like a drug addict who needed another fix; reality is that I am an attorney who has made it through 7 years of school who was withdrawing off of a drug dr's had been prescribing me.

Day 4 - still dizzy and nauseous. If I wanted to feel this sick I would have jumped on a cruise during a hurricane. Light and sound have started to bother me more and more. A lot of irrational thinking (tough when I am typically a very rational thinker). Feeling very anxious - like I could just stop breathing.

Day 5 - Feeling a little less dizzy and nauseous. If I move my eyes around too quick I get a wash of severe dizziness. My new withdraw symptom is anger. I have an extremely short fuse and find myself flipping out over the littlest things. I can function a little bit today. I got on the computer and made a few phone calls. Still feeling very anxious.

Day 6 - felt normal for about the first 1/2 hour I was awake. Then the dizziness and nauseousness set back in. It is not nearly as bad as before. I have a lot of anxiety, but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel...

I am hoping day 7 brings some relief. I cannot wait to be off of this crap. It has been 7 years without really feeling anything. I look back on what has been over 1/3 of my life and I realize I was just getting by. I had no "highs" no real "lows", just a lot of existing in the middle. I am going to try and avoid getting back on medication at all costs. I want my life back!!!! My fear as that I will have my life back with the debilitating anxiety that got me on medication to begin with. Anybody out there who was being treated for Anxiety been through this and stayed medication free???

#30 cabogirl

cabogirl

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

Tomorrow will be day 11 pristiq free for me... yesterday was the first day where I had a long period of no dizziness/zaps. Today I felt kind of "foggy" for the better part of the morning & afternoon, and- the dizziness & zaps returned tonight. I'm hoping that the extended periods of being symptom free are an indication that the end is near... I hope so anyway! Hope you get to feeling better soon Dizzy :)

Edited by cabogirl, 17 February 2010 - 12:26 AM.

#31 beez123

beez123

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hi all,
I am so freaked out and PO right now at my doctor... 3 months ago I went to the Dr cuz I was very tired and just generally did not have any energy. I thought I was having thyroid issues... ( I have never had a history of depression.. and I work 3 12 hour night shifts a week..) anyway the Dr convinced me that I was depressed... He prescribed Pristiq the first week of taking the medication I was very irritable shakes and felt agitated.. I also got very sick the same time with H1N1 so I just kept taking the medication because the doctor told me to... So now I have been on the medication for three months.. I have gained about 15 pounds.. I sleep all the time and when I am not sleeping that is all i feel like doing.. I have no sex drive or sensation in that area.. which my husband does not like.. I just want off of this medications...Oh yeah it is also expensive..the doctor gave me two months of free pills.. I stopped taking it two days ago and my head is throbbing and had no idea about the side effects of this medication I just trusted my Dr... I am so glad I found this forum from the looks of it I guess i will feel pretty bad for the next couple days.. I learned a really good lesson from this experience. I don't trust my MD.

Last Sunday after talking to my MD i decided it would be best to tapper off of the medication... I have been taking 50 mg every other day.. The days that I take the medication I wake up with a severe headache ( I have never had headaches in my life) It feels like a load of bricks are setting on my head.. If I get up to fast I feel like I could fall down.. I am also very agitated and have been crying alot lately.. I feel like crying right now.. On the mornings that I dont take the medication I almost feel normal, I am still tearful but my body feels normal..Next week I will start taking it every three days.. The sad part of this whole thing is that I really do think I might be depressed, or atleast I am right now... This whole experience has scared me..

#32 palabravampiress

palabravampiress

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

When you quit taking Pristiq, how do you know which symptoms are caused by discontinuing the medication and which symptoms are caused by the underlying condition (in my case, Depression) for which Pristiq was prescribed?

Last summer, my husband and I went without health insurance for a few months. We had just moved to a new state, neither of us had found jobs yet, and we also lacked doctors in the new state. I tried to ration out my last bottle of Pristiq in the manner that is often described on this site: take it once every other day for a week, then once every three days for a week, and so on until, eventually, I ran out. My symptoms were similar to those that many of you describe. I felt dizzy, nauseous, suffered bowel problems, and felt like I was in a fog. I also sweated a great deal more than is normal for me. I could not control my emotions, gave in to a number of crying jags, and lacked the ability to control my sleep schedule. I describe it to others as feeling as though I am actually on drugs when I go off of them. Some of the symptoms, like the dizziness and the bowel problems, gradually disappeared. Others, like the feeling of being in a fog and the erratic sleep schedule, remained until concerned family members pressured me to find a psychiatrist and get back on my medication. with this as my experience, I find it likely that at least some of the symptoms that people attribute to tapering or quitting Pristiq may be due to the underlying condition.

Currently, my pharmacy has trouble getting my prescription. For this reason, I am sometimes obliged to go a day or two without my meds. When this happens, I usually experience nausea, bowel irritation, and trouble concentrating (the "foggy" feeling that I mentioned earlier). According to my mother (but, curiously, not to my husband), she can tell within a day or two that something isn't quite right. She says the expression on my face changes, that my body language and movements change, and that it feels to her as though she is speaking with a completely different person. Some of these symptoms sound like discontinuation symptoms, but the mood changes that my mother notices sound like symptoms of the Depression for which I am being treated.

Has anyone else noticed a return of the symptoms that sent you to the doctor to the first place, as I have, or are your symptoms all new since coming off of the meds? Given my experience, I find it difficult to determine where one problem (the discontinuation) ends and another (the underlying condition) begins.

#33 cabogirl

cabogirl

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

My experience has been that these are ALL new symptoms. I have not had a return of my depression, but I am still experiencing dizziness, zaps, tiredness... some nausea. The vivid, frightening dreams have decreased - thank God! The only symptom that is similar to what I experienced before Pristiq is insomnia. I'm hoping this overall flu-like, crappy feeling goes away soon!

#34 ElleEmma

ElleEmma

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

Hello, so thankful I found your post. I am post 7 days stopping Pristiq (50mg) cold turkey. My doctor gave no tapering plan, reasoning 50mg is the lowest dose and the pills cannot be cut.

My question is this: Has the soreness in your joints and muscules ceased? I am feeling muscle soreness, overall achiness, and fatigue. I am scared to death. When can I expect this to stop??? I certainly hope you are feeling better. Oh, also! I am very thirsty! Were you thirsty as well or simply drinking lots of water to flush the med out of your system?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thank you SO much!

ElleEmma

#35 mj65

mj65

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

Ok, this is my 2nd post on this board. My first was just to say hello.

Like many of you here I have decided to discontinue Pristiq. This is a decision that me and my hubby decided together. I have not found a Doc in years that has been able to help me so I give...
Oddly enough it was my gyno and not a PDoc that put me on this medication. I went to him for my yearly and to ask him about the possibility of a hormonal connection to the way I had been feeling and he put me on a AD med. In the beginning it seemed to help with possible PMDD symptoms but after a year I feel worse and not better.
Lets see today is Saturday, Feb. 27, 2010. I began this "journey" on Monday, Feb 22 by taking my usual dose of 50mg that night and thought I would try the every other day thing to start with so skipped Tuesday ended up with vertigo and dizziness by noon on Wed. Took my dose Wed night and of course began feeling better.
Then I read somewhere that the every other day thing is like putting your mind and body on a really bad roller-coaster ride. So, therefore, I made the decision to go cold turkey, here it is Saturday and I have not taken any meds.
So far I have experienced major dizziness and vertigo and now my eyes are unable to focus if I turn my head too quickly. It is like have constant motion sickness. I am having what feels like muscle spasms in my head with the occasional electrical zaps. My temper is a little short but I am trying to keep that in check. Not having any nightmares, hope I don't. As strange as it may sound Benadryl seems to help a little with the withdrawal. I seem to have an intolerance to loud/sudden noises, it causes my "brain spasm" thing. I do take 10 mg Ambien and 1mg Ativan to help me sleep, it takes time but it does eventually allow me to fall asleep.

I really don't know what the proper protocol for this kind of thing is. I went from one PDoc that said I had bipolar depression to her replacement that said I mainly had ADHD with some depression so he put me on a totally different type of meds. Bad mistake....Haven't seen a PDoc since then. Disgusted with the whole ordeal. I have gotten to where I don't trus any Doc that wants to muck around with my mind. I need something but I just can't seem to find out what. Frustrating and disheartening but I will keep going.
I have read that some ppl have the "discontinuation syndrome" for 7 days to some who it took 14 days to some poor souls who are still fighting and struggling. I agree with what another poster somewhere in here attributed success/lack of symptoms, not to will power or determination but to metabolic make-up and I totally agree.

If it matters I will track my symptoms and post anything new and "interesting" that may happen. Everyone on here who is trying to do this don't give up, it has got to get better just keep going.

#36 justincase237

justincase237

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

I am husband looking for help for my wife. We just found out friday that she is pregnant and so she quit pristiq cold turkey. First - is this even possible or could this be two false positives due to the pristiq? She had her normal period the whole time she's been on it, so when she was two months past due we thought it was strange. Second, she is having a hard time dealing with the symptoms of withdrawal: extreme nausea, fatique, cold sweats, irritability, etc. I saw some posted on here that cold medicines have helped, but with her being pregnant we are afraid to take anything.

I am considering taking some time off of work to help her through this as we have a 2 1/2 year old to take care of to and she is having a rough time (even though she doesn't want me to take time off work). What can be done - lots of water it looks like, any thing else?

Has anyone else had experience with pristiq and pregnancy?

Thanks.
J.

#37 shollis04

shollis04

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

Hey guys..

I have been reading up on these forums the past week or so. I have been on Pritiq since Oct 2008 and have recently lost my health insurance because I have changed jobs. Right before my insurance ran out I worked with my dr to get me a three month prescription of pristiq...well now I am at the end of that line. Finding this site has given me hope but also caused me frustration. I'm glad that I am not the only one who feels like complete crap when I don't take this medicine...but from the looks of it I will be going through quite a bit of hell as I have been on this particular medicine for a quite a bit longer and a higher dose (200mg) than most that have mentioned on here before.

Bottom line....I don't have a week or two to be completely useless or dead to the world. And that's exactly how I feel when I go more than 2 days without taking this medicine. Like a month or so ago I cut down my dosage from 200 to 100mg just to stretch it out. And yesterday I took my last 100mg pill. I also, luckily, found a sample pack of 50mg pills that my dr gave me a long time ago. So I took one of those tonight and have no idea how exactly I plan on using the remaining 6 pills. I've noticed so many changes since I decreased the dosage. I knew that I was going to be more tired and obviously feeling more depressed but I can't get out of flippin bed! And I have been one of the unfortunate ones that experiences the brain zaps if I go more than 24 hours without taking this medicine.

I know someone mentioned earlier about whether these are new symptoms coming about from stopping pristiq or if they are old symptoms that maybe led to the beginning of the medication. For me...the being tired and depression that I am feeling since I have been tapering off the medication is most definitely old symptoms coming back. I won't deny that. But not being able to function....lying in bed all day long, hot and cold flashes, dizziness and light headed spells, nausea, headaches, sensitivity to light and noises, and muscle aches were not!

It all kinda sucks...not having insurance and all. Has anyone tried any natural remedies to help with the withdraws? Like...5HTP, St Johns Wort, or anything else? I know that there is a product called Amoryn that incorporates all of them into one and essentially it is a natural "SSNRI." I was thinking about getting some and trying to see if that may help at all?

I am still kinda upset at the fact that the FDA would approve a drug that causes someone to be so sick when they try to come off of it...

#38 mitra james

mitra james

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hi,
thought i'd post my story here too, just to add another voice and also as an exercise to help me keep track.
I've been on pristiq since oct 2008 (19 mos). I've been on various anti-depressants for about 3 years. This was my second go-round with this particular psycopharm. About 10 years ago we tried 6 mos of SSRIs and others and both decided it wasnt making a difference and my on & off depression wasnt really getting in the way of my life.
THis time there were lots of circumstnces but still after about a year of different things, not much difference. It was by chance that things turned around the week I started to take pristiq and at that point I didnt want to change anything. Here I am 19 mos later feeling stable enough to try and wean off.
After reading everyone else's experience I realize mine isnt so bad. I had always noticed dizzyness if i forgot to take it the night before. Dizzy is not really the right word - disequalibrium? its yukky
took my last 50mg pill 2/22 monday
tuesday - 1/2 pill
weds - forgot to take my pill at night so thursday morn i thought i'd go cold turkey but by noon on thursday i couldnt do it - took 1/2
fri - 1/2 pill
then i thought i'd take a 1/4 pill at 12 hour intervals, just enough to stave off the dizzy
sat - i took a 1/4 at 11am then again at around 6pm, got an awful headache - at work on sat (i'm a nurse, 12 hour shifts)
took my last 1/4 pill sunday 2/28 - another work day
monday - no dizzy
tuesday - dizzy, a little weepy. D***, i'm supposed to work tomorrow but i may call in, i just wanna plow through this last bit. how long can this dizzy possibly last?
i was surprised with the half life being 11 hours since i got through the first day ok, that the dizzy cropped up agin the 2nd day
D*** D*** D***
i'll let you know

#39 cranberry

cranberry

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

Hello, I'm new here. I was doing a search on 'pristiq withdrawal' and found this site. It's answered a lot of my questions, and I wanted to share my experience.

My boyfriend stopped taking Pristiq about 2 -3 weeks ago. He was taking 50 mg. a day for about 5 months. He complained he was depressed but he wasn't sure the drugs were helping. And so he didn't t want to continue with the drugs or expensive doctor appointments. When he was ready to stop them, he took them every other day to taper off over a two week period. He seemed okay for the next couple of weeks. Then it hit him. Looks like delayed withdrawal symptoms. For the last five days now, he's been miserable... sweating, chills, stiff neck, fatigue, nausea, diarrea, extremelly irritable, anxiety, no appetite, depressed, headache, cannot concentrate, body aches and itchy skin. He said he took this stuff before about a year ago (before we started dating) and that when he stopped there was no problem. Not this time.

I just thought I'd let others know about his delayed reaction. It's very serious.

FYI -- He was not prescribed these things by a psychiatrist, but rather a family-type doctor that had Pristiq samples on hand. I wish these family doctors would not take it upon themselves to dish out heavy-duty brain altering drugs like candy and would refer their depressed patients to a real psychiatrist.

Good luck to everyone and thanks to those that posted with your experiences.

#40 shollis04

shollis04

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:35 AM

Figured I would give a little update from my post a couple days ago....I am so very thankful to have found 4 more of my 50mg pills in another sample pack. Little recap: Mon 3/1 I took 100mg, dropped down to 50mg on 3/2, took another 50mg on 3/3, and today I tried to delay taking the 50mg pill again...but I couldn't make it past 30 hours without feeling completely awful...so I took 50mg again tonight about 6 hours ago. I am finally starting to feel somewhat relief from the symptoms since taking it. I am at work right now and seriously wasn't thinking I was going to make it through my shift here at the hospital. I think I may take the 50mg again tmrw and then cut it in half starting after that with the remaining pills I have left...that and keep praying to my Lord that this gets easier....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users