Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Best Time Of Day To Take Fluoxetine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 claireauriga

claireauriga

ID: 34550

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

I've been on 20 mg/day fluoxetine for a few months now, for moderate depression, and it has helped me. However, now my university term is over and I'm back at home, I'm struggling because my days are less structured. I'm putting into action things to help me manage my mood better, but one of the problems I keep having is that when I wake up, my mood is intensely low. All the while through eating breakfast, getting washed and dressed, showering and so on, I feel terrible. The morning also includes various problematic events that can't be rescheduled - e.g. things to do with tackling my phobic anxiety problems.

My mum's suggested changing the time of day I take my medication to see if it affects my mood. I usually take it at around 1pm, with lunch. Does anyone have any suggestions for a particular time of day that might help me feel the effects more first thing in the morning?

#2 PRT

PRT

ID: 33974

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

HI Claire,

When do you start to feel better during the day? Does it coincide with taking your meds? I always take my tablet in the morning, but I often still have difficult mornings - it could just be a pattern of your mood. Sometimes taking tablets at night can bring on insomnia, although I'm not sure if this is the case for Fluoxetine.
Maybe try it in the morning and see how you go. It can be quite different for everyone.

PRT xx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#3 data

data

ID: 37031

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

As I understand it, Fluoxetine has such a long half life that the time of day you take it is not that significant, because it builds up in your system. I may be totally wrong, of course. I usually take my 40 mg Fluoxetine as soon as I wake up.

#4 kassiegal

kassiegal

ID: 38068

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

i was taking 20mg of prozac at night...then had trouble with my tmj..jaw..so i started taking in in the am
now I have no motivaton during the day
so wondering if I should switch back to trying it at night again..and see if that makes a difference
I think I had more motivation when i took it at night...for the next day...I have been on it for 8 weeks now..and just think I should be more motivated.
any advice ...
I never had a problem falling asleep when i took it at night...but i would wake early

#5 360_kiwi

360_kiwi

ID: 40247

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

i was taking 20mg of prozac at night...then had trouble with my tmj..jaw..so i started taking in in the am
now I have no motivaton during the day
so wondering if I should switch back to trying it at night again..and see if that makes a difference
I think I had more motivation when i took it at night...for the next day...I have been on it for 8 weeks now..and just think I should be more motivated.
any advice ...
I never had a problem falling asleep when i took it at night...but i would wake early

According to my doc, if anything it should wake you up. So always take it in the morning... Maybe you need a higher dose?

#6 psychocandy

psychocandy

ID: 18703

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

As I understand it, Fluoxetine has such a long half life that the time of day you take it is not that significant, because it builds up in your system. I may be totally wrong, of course. I usually take my 40 mg Fluoxetine as soon as I wake up.

Data is right here. Time of day is not that important - whatever works best for you.
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users