Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Parnate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 PetersKeys

PetersKeys

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

I hear alot of reviews from people that Parnate is the most effective antidepressant ever. People who have been on meds 20 years and finally got relief. Is parnate really all that cracked up to be and the risks worth it? Is parnate and nardil really the last end of the rope before things like ECT and other non-medication procedures? It seems MAOIs have a hand over the newer antidepressants because the increase nearly all the Catecholamines instead of just one or 2. For people on MAOIs and people who have tried MAOIs what is your opinion on this?

#2 april42

april42

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

I was on Parnate a long time ago and felt it was very effective for both depression and anxiety. I truly felt like a different person (in a good way) on this medication. It didn't have many side effects except getting dizzy initially. I can't be on it now as I take other medication that would interact with it. I have tried other antidepressants and was on Prozac for a while, but I found the Parnate more effective. Hope that this helps.

April

I hear alot of reviews from people that Parnate is the most effective antidepressant ever. People who have been on meds 20 years and finally got relief. Is parnate really all that cracked up to be and the risks worth it? Is parnate and nardil really the last end of the rope before things like ECT and other non-medication procedures? It seems MAOIs have a hand over the newer antidepressants because the increase nearly all the Catecholamines instead of just one or 2. For people on MAOIs and people who have tried MAOIs what is your opinion on this?

#3 PetersKeys

PetersKeys

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:43 AM

I was on Parnate a long time ago and felt it was very effective for both depression and anxiety. I truly felt like a different person (in a good way) on this medication. It didn't have many side effects except getting dizzy initially. I can't be on it now as I take other medication that would interact with it. I have tried other antidepressants and was on Prozac for a while, but I found the Parnate more effective. Hope that this helps.

April

interesting. Would you say it was the most effective AD you have taken? Is it worth the risks?

#4 wordhopper42

wordhopper42

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:52 PM

I've taken MAOIs for over 10 years and am still convinced they were/are a real lifesaver for certain types of depression, especially for those who are suffering from considerable anxiety and/or phobias.

The reason I began taking MAOIs is that I became suddenly and overwhelmingly agoraphobic after 27 years of living in some really crowded places (London, Hong Kong, NYC). After a few months of trying to figure out what was I wrong, I began seeing a psychiatrist. He tried several of the older antidepressants (tricyclics) but they made things worse. So I eventually ended up taking increasingly higher doses of Xanax for the next three years.

It all came to a head when I went home to visit my mother and was unable to get myself back to the airport because of the agoraphobia. My then-husband came to collect me, then literally barged into the psychiatrist's office and demanded he try something new. The doc shrugged and put me on Marplan, another MAOI.

The change was really amazing - in 48 hours I was feeling better. In a week, the agoraphobia was 90% gone.

I eventually had to switch to Nardil when Roche stopped making Marplan, but in the last few years it's become available again. If anyone decides to try an MAOI, I would recommend Marplan first, as it didn't cause the weight gain problems I've had with Nardil. The weight gain isn't impossible to control, but Nardil definitely contributed to the problem. But it was a pretty small price to pay, considering the overwhelming relief the Nardil provided from the agoraphobia.

#5 Skittles

Skittles

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

This really makes me sad... it is great for you that have had success... it hasn't worked for me every time I go above 3 per day I get the worst headache and my bp goes up and along with that hasn't worked with my depression or phobias at all...I've already been through the ECT. So, I'm going to a local Univerisity Hospital for a second opinion - I'm so down, I have no idea what they are going to say.

#6 graycoyote

graycoyote

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

Parnate really worked very well for me for about 3 months then my blood pressure sky rocketed and had to get off imediately. The ER at the hospital in the rural area I live had no experience with MAOI's . Thought I was on" some kind of crazy medicine" that was his words.

I was given meds to bring down the blood pressure quickly but to no avail was shipped quickly to Emory University in Atlanta, Ga where my Pdoc is.
Long story short, I tried Emsam Patches ( another MAOI)for about 2 years worked great until the patches kept falling off, randomly.

I then went to Marplan it has been a good fit for me. The diet restrictions are worth the help MAOI's have given me.

Hope this helps you........

GOD BLESS
GrayCoyote

If you are a Christian, you are not a citizen of this world
trying to get to Heaven, You are a citizen of Heaven
making your way through this world --- Vance Havner

#7 Skittles

Skittles

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

Well, I went to my 2nd opinion appointment and as far as I can understand or remember the Dr. didn't think since I can only take 10mg 3x a day that it was doing much good so she recommednded adding Lythium (?) while coming off of Parnate to start Cymbalta and Abilify (I think)... I was so nervous because guess what... My regular Psych Dr.'s records never made it to her. I know at least one time I was in the hospital my Dr. had tried me on Cymbalta and apparently something didn't work because he took me off - This Dr. would have had sooooo much more important information if his records had made it to her. I don't blame him, I blame the social worker that was taking care of my referrals.... My regular PCP (God love him) sent his records, but of course they didn't have as much detail in them, at least he did tell her that I have been suffering from severe migraines since I was 15 and a little about the depression. I am so upset. I feel like I'm falling through the cracks. This referral Dr. gave the best she could I guess with the info she had, but I feel like it was wasted time. I'm not sure I told her I've been in the hospital 3 times, already, ect... She doesn't know that I feel like this is the end of the road for me. I won't hurt myself, I am just so exhausted trying to find the right combo - and Lord knows I've tried she asked me what meds I've tried and I gave her a piece of paper that she had to make a copy of, she didn't feel like hand writinig the whole list...see what I'm saying? I told her as much as I could under the circumstances. I don't remember a lot and I get that dang social phobia, so there is a lot of "uh huh" "uh huh" I apologize for going on and on....

Thanks for listening...

#8 Syrinx

Syrinx

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

I'm glad to read all of your posts. I'm probably starting Parnate in 2 weeks and I'm bummed out about the dietary restrictions and scared witless about the symptoms and results of a possible hypertensive crisis. But it seems at least some of you have good things to say about irreversible MAOIs.
Is the risk of hypertensive crisis related to the dose of the med you're on? Does the risk decrease at all over time? Does your body become able to handle an occasional presence of both the MAOI and some tyramine? Giving up cheese and pepperoni pizza would seriously suck. Of course, depression sucks too.

#9 duckling

duckling

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:45 AM

Hi

I was on a high dose 90mgs and I was still able to eat marmite, cheese and red alcohol, but struggled with Coffee, I felt that the symptoms got worse the higher the dose of parnate. Once I did drink a strong coffee and a hour or so later became very nausious, dizzy a headache that felt that my brain was going to explode and my Blood Pressure went sky high. I was on my own when it happened and the only way to deal with it was to go to sleep for a couple of hours, my symptoms then lessened but my BP remained high for a couple of days.

From this experience I learnt that the dietary recommendations are there, but some of it is trial and error, and I have since learnt that if I had gone to ER they would have given me IV drugs to control the symptoms.

All of us are different, so even though I had a reasction when drinking coffee, it does not mean you will have that reaction - the same as pepperoni pizza, I could eat it, but someone else might not be able to.

#10 Syrinx

Syrinx

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

I've been doing a lot of reasearch into Parnate, and I've read a lot of good, and a lot of bad. It seems that some people have had good experience with it, but I went checking in my fridge for things that I couldn't eat anymore.
Imperial cheese is out, because it's an aged cheese, and my pepperoni is an aged meat so it's out.
I looked for things that have soybean oil, and I found: Soy sauce (obviously), Teriyaki sauce (naturally), French's Red Hot sauce, Loblaw's frozen chicken wings, ice cream, Eggo waffles, Nutrigrain cereal bars, Wonder bread, Schneider's hot dogs, and Pillsbury frozen microwave pizza.

After discovering this, it seems Parnate isn't an antidepressant as much as a chemical/biological weapon.

The only things in my fridge that didn't have cheese or aged meat or soybean oil were water, orange juice, milk, raspberry jam, Dijon mustard, Coke, Sprite, Tetley Iced Tea, Lay's regular potato chips, and Heinz ketchup.

So, it's like researching antidepressants in general. There's people who say they're great, and can help a lot, with minimal risk, then there's the warnings that you get with the medication which discounts probably 75% of everything humans eat.

I'm still reeling from the withdrawal effects of Zoloft, so I may delay going on Parnate another week. I hope Parnate is really good stuff, I really do. If I have to avoid obvious stuff like sauerkraut or tap alcohol or pure poy sauce, fine, I can handle that. I guess I just don't know what to expect.

#11 debi1928

debi1928

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

when looking at ingredients what do i actually look for.I never see the word tyramine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users