Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Struggle To Just Get Out Of Bed And Function

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jpnwdc

jpnwdc

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

I am new to the forum. For the last two months I have had every possible medical test possible to try and find out why I am so fatigued. Nothing has been found. The next stop is a rheumatologist to check for possible fibromyalgia.

I have suffered for depression, anxiety, and sleep problems for years. However, it usually manifested itself in sadness but never these current physical effects I am having. I am so fatigued and feel like a zombie most of the time. The simplest tasks are major efforts. I experience an odd dizziness (not vertigo) sometimes and concentrating is difficult. Lately I struggle to just get out bed in the morning. There are times I feel like I have lead running through my veins and that gravity is pulling me down.

My doctor is trying a new med (Celexa) and I need to find a therapist. The therapist I had for 10 years died suddenly in January and I have not gone to another.

These symptoms are new and scary to me. Have others experienced this? I would love to hear from you.

Thank you.

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:48 AM

Hi and Welcome to DF jpnwdc

I am sorry that you are suffering so much.
I have Lupus, which is similar to Fibro.
Before I got diagnosed, I could barely get out of bed, was incredibly dizzy and could barely function, I also had weight loss and hair loss. It affected my nervous system as well. Once I was on the right meds, it got so much easier and I don't feel nearly as bad as what I used to.
I had been to countless doctors and none could figure out what was wrong with me.
I am glad that you are going to a Rheumatologist, as a diagnoses and the right meds make a huge difference.
Celexa works well with Fibro.

You may want to have a look in the Other Depression Related Illnesses Room, as there is a lot of info on Fibro in there. Also have a look in the Celexa Room.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

Hi JPN :hearts:

It's so frustrating to have this overwhelming tiredness isn't it? Mine is just related to my depression but yours does sound more severe. I hope you get some answers soon. I'm sure your mind will settle a bit when you get an answer. It's good the docs are working hard to find out what's going on.

Let us know how you get on.

PRT xx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#4 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

Hi jpnwdc,

Sounds like your tirdness is a physical problem like ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibro or related. ( Have those two in my family members) Mine is just depression related only. Hope you get well assessed and find the right treatment/meds.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 anglcsprt

anglcsprt

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

Greetings jpnwdc!!! (smiles and waves) :hearts: to DF!!!

Though going through all the tests that you have gone through may be frustrating, tiring, and feeling that you are a human guinea pig (this is how I was feeling when I had to go for a variety of tests and am once again starting to run another series), it is good that your doctor is being so thorough. (soft smile)

I too suffer from depression, anxiety and sleep problems. I now have an exhaustion that is very debilitating, and I really have to push myself to get things done. I thought it was depression related, and the doctor had given me an antidepresant that was to increase my energy level through the day. Some days, it is all I can do to crawl out of bed and make myself a cup of coffee. It takes a while for my head to defog in the morning. I have problems with memory, poor concentration, easily confused, dizziness, feeling that I will lose conciousness just from coughing (my blood pressure is fine), and when I do get out, walking half a block feels like I just ran a mile. When I drive, if it is for more than 20 minutes, my arms feel like I have been lifting heavy weights for over an hour. I have severe swelling of my feet and legs below my knees, which makes it very challenging to kneel down, get up from a low chair, and sometime to just get out of my car. Now my hands and arms are starting to do the same thing. So, the tests have started again. My blood work showed an extremely low haemoglobin. Dr said that it is lower than a woman who just gave birth to a child, and that will cause my fatigue. Now she just has to find out why.

Due to the symptoms you described as being new, I can understand how you may be scared. I would strongly recomment posting here as often as you are comfortable, and look around to see if there are other posts that you can relate to, or to give you more information. There are a lot of wonderful people here who are more than willing to offer you support as you walk your healing journey. (warm smile)
Hugs ~ Angel :flowers:

Have a GREAT day/evening!!
Hugs ~ Angel  :innocent: 

Life is short... live every day to the fullest, as if it could be your last, and you'll have no regrets!!

#6 jpnwdc

jpnwdc

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hi jpnwdc,

Sounds like your tirdness is a physical problem like ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibro or related. ( Have those two in my family members) Mine is just depression related only. Hope you get well assessed and find the right treatment/meds.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Hi. Do you experience the extreme fatigue with your depression?

Thanks.

#7 jpnwdc

jpnwdc

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

Greetings jpnwdc!!! (smiles and waves) :hearts: to DF!!!

Though going through all the tests that you have gone through may be frustrating, tiring, and feeling that you are a human guinea pig (this is how I was feeling when I had to go for a variety of tests and am once again starting to run another series), it is good that your doctor is being so thorough. (soft smile)

I too suffer from depression, anxiety and sleep problems. I now have an exhaustion that is very debilitating, and I really have to push myself to get things done. I thought it was depression related, and the doctor had given me an antidepresant that was to increase my energy level through the day. Some days, it is all I can do to crawl out of bed and make myself a cup of coffee. It takes a while for my head to defog in the morning. I have problems with memory, poor concentration, easily confused, dizziness, feeling that I will lose conciousness just from coughing (my blood pressure is fine), and when I do get out, walking half a block feels like I just ran a mile. When I drive, if it is for more than 20 minutes, my arms feel like I have been lifting heavy weights for over an hour. I have severe swelling of my feet and legs below my knees, which makes it very challenging to kneel down, get up from a low chair, and sometime to just get out of my car. Now my hands and arms are starting to do the same thing. So, the tests have started again. My blood work showed an extremely low haemoglobin. Dr said that it is lower than a woman who just gave birth to a child, and that will cause my fatigue. Now she just has to find out why.

Due to the symptoms you described as being new, I can understand how you may be scared. I would strongly recomment posting here as often as you are comfortable, and look around to see if there are other posts that you can relate to, or to give you more information. There are a lot of wonderful people here who are more than willing to offer you support as you walk your healing journey. (warm smile)
Hugs ~ Angel :flowers:

Hi,

Thanks for your post. Sorry you struggle so much with the fatigue. My biggest battle of the day is getting out of bed. I wish I could sleep better as I think it would help.

What medications do you take?

Thanks.

#8 anglcsprt

anglcsprt

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:40 AM

<snip>
Thanks.

Greetings jpnwdc!! I am on meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, high chloresterol, gastro reflux caused by a hiatus hernia, and meds for depression, anxiety and sleep. The later ones include Zopiclone, Citalopram, Trazodone, and Wellbutrin.
Hugs ~ Angel :hearts:

Have a GREAT day/evening!!
Hugs ~ Angel  :innocent: 

Life is short... live every day to the fullest, as if it could be your last, and you'll have no regrets!!

#9 jpnwdc

jpnwdc

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

<snip>
Thanks.

Greetings jpnwdc!! I am on meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, high chloresterol, gastro reflux caused by a hiatus hernia, and meds for depression, anxiety and sleep. The later ones include Zopiclone, Citalopram, Trazodone, and Wellbutrin.
Hugs ~ Angel :hearts:

Hi. Looks like we have something in common with the Celexa! I have been on it (20mg) for a week now. What time of day do you take it? I take it before bed, but I am wondering if it might be contributing to my sleep problems. The doctor said it is somewhat sedating. I take an Ambien at bedtime, but I am now waking up after it wears off. What fun. I am like a zombie. :flowers:

jpnwdc

#10 alex123

alex123

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

Depersonalization is when you feel like you are in a dream, or movie....removed from your surroundings or self.

It's a troubling feeling that can come along with depression and anxiety. Some people experience it fleetingly and some are stuck with it for years and years.

Alex

Alex,

What I experienced is similar to how you defined depersonalization. I had a bad episode in May where I had to leave a birthday brunch because I had what I thought was dizziness. However it was different from vertigo or common lightheadedness. I have had a hard time describing it to others, and like you, I ended up having a brain MRI (which didn't show anything bad). Did your anxiety cause any other physical symptoms?

John

John...

I think most if not all of my symptoms started with anxiety and led to depression. I have always been a "worrier", I was born that way. Anxiety can cause depression.

When I was about 14 my mother died of cancer and naturally I became depressed. My world turned up side down. Mix in anxiety and it caused physical symptoms. One of these, even way back then was the odd off balance feeling, follows by depersonalization(actually derealization). I lived in this dream world in which I thought I was going crazy.

I have had depersonalization off and on over the years and it seems to now be out of my life. I am on the higher end when it comes to anxiety, but I would not say over the top, its the depression(dysthymia), that I have had for a very very long time. Given the choice between depersonalization and depression, I would opt for depression.

Search on Amazon for depersonalization. There is also stuff on the internet.

Depersonalization is difficult to describe.

I hope I am not making you feel worse.

Alex

#11 arizona11

arizona11

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

Hi there,

I am new to the forum as well. I definitely have the same problem you do and struggle to get out of bed in the mornings. You're not alone. Currently, I'm working on ways to try and help people like us with this issue. While we try to find out what exactly is wrong with us, we still need to get out of bed in the morning and function even though it seems impossible on most days.

So I need your help if you don't mind. I need to know your thoughts on this as well. When you find it hard to get out of bed in the morning and you just want to sleep all day (which is basically my every morning) do you still WANT to get out of bed but just feel like you can't? I have a job and I need to get out of bed so I often have to make sure someone checks on me to see if I've gotten up to my alarm or not. I am looking into ways that will help us get out of bed but i need to know if others feel the same way.

Would you be interested in something that helps you physically get out of bed? I know it doesn't solve how we FEEL but it would at least help us get out of bed and start the day which is pretty necessary until we get other help.

Please don't feel alone in all of this. You WILL find out what's wrong, people do want to help, and many people are going through exactly what you are. Keep fighting and looking for help because when we find it, I just know life will feel so much more amazing...as it should.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am new to the forum. For the last two months I have had every possible medical test possible to try and find out why I am so fatigued. Nothing has been found. The next stop is a rheumatologist to check for possible fibromyalgia.

I have suffered for depression, anxiety, and sleep problems for years. However, it usually manifested itself in sadness but never these current physical effects I am having. I am so fatigued and feel like a zombie most of the time. The simplest tasks are major efforts. I experience an odd dizziness (not vertigo) sometimes and concentrating is difficult. Lately I struggle to just get out bed in the morning. There are times I feel like I have lead running through my veins and that gravity is pulling me down.

My doctor is trying a new med (Celexa) and I need to find a therapist. The therapist I had for 10 years died suddenly in January and I have not gone to another.

These symptoms are new and scary to me. Have others experienced this? I would love to hear from you.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users