Forum Admin

Welcome To The Cymbalta - Cymbalta

498 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

Welcome to the Cymbalta - Cymbalta

You might also be interested in:

Posted

HI, im 23yrs old female. ive been taking this drug for nearly a year now. startd on 30mgs and around 2 months ago went up to 60mgs but taking to lots of 30mg one in morning and one in the afternoon.

Ive found that this drug has help a lot but has some side effects im not to keen on. for example the horrible nightly sweats i have and horrible dry mouths.

Posted

Hi sky!

I'm sure someone will be around to chat with you about Cymbalta. I really have no experience taking this med. :hearts:

Take very good care of yourself.

Posted (edited)

HI! MY NAME IS PAMEY, AND IM IN THIS ROOM FOR THE SAME REASON AS ALL OF YOU, IM DEPRESSED, HAVE ANXIETY, AND PMDD--OR BIPOLAR 2. IM ON MEDS, AND WANT TO HEAR FROM ALL OF YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH THEM AND OTHERS THAT MAY BE BETTER. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ANY AND ALL CONSTRUCTIVE OR JUST IDEAS IN GENERAL FROM ALL. :bump::hearts: I AM ON 60 MGS CYMBALTA AFTER GETTING OFF LEXAPRO AND ZOLOFT BEFORE THAT FROM TERRIBLE WEIGHT GAIN!! IVE LOST SOME WEIGHT, BUT THE CYMBALTA ISNT HELPING THE DEPRESSION LIKE THE LEXAPRO. ALSO, I JUST STARTED TOPAMAX FOR THE MOODINESS FROM THE BIPOLAR/PMDD, AND AM ON 4 MGS KLONOPIN FOR ANXIETY AND PANIC ATTACKS(SINCE JULY 1995). THE CYMBALTA WAS GREAT AT FIRST, BUT NOW 4 MONTHS LATER--POOPED OUT!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

Edited by pamey

Posted

:hearts: Pamey!! I was on Lexparo and got on Cymbalta a month after it came out. I haven't noticed any poop out! I just have other conditions and don't know how compatible the meds are. I'm having trouble getting sleep at night. Seems like I could stay awake 24hrs. a day.

I'm looking forward to seeing you posts in the other Cymbalta rooms.

Jackie :bump:

Posted

Hi Guys,

I'm goign to go pick up a script for Cymbalta today. I'm sure hoping it helps. I haven't been on anything in awhile. I did take Welbutrin but had to stop because it messed with my HTN too much. Took me a long time to get to this point of needing meds again but I'm so sick of crying and crying over a bit of nothing and I have not much motivation for this life right now.

So here's hoping it helps. They started me on 20mg bid. Wonder if it's best to take it all at once. I had a sample of it and it seems it made my tummy unhappy. This was quite a while ago. And I think I took like two doses and said I didn't want to take it anymore. This time I want to stay with it. I need to feel better and I feel ready.

Thanks for being here.

sad minidriver

Posted

My doc had me take an antacid with it till the tummy thing went away. Stay with it, as the benefits are worth it. Hopefully, the side effects will be gone by the beginning of next week!

Maybe the side effects are worth not feeling so blue all the time? Depression can turn your world up side down. Hope it goes right side up for you real soon! :hearts:

Posted

HI, im 23yrs old female. ive been taking this drug for nearly a year now. startd on 30mgs and around 2 months ago went up to 60mgs but taking to lots of 30mg one in morning and one in the afternoon.

Ive found that this drug has help a lot but has some side effects im not to keen on. for example the horrible nightly sweats i have and horrible dry mouths.

Hi sky,

I'm 48 & I've been on cymbalta for 2 months now. I was taking prozac for years. I am also taking wellbutrin 300 xl. I too have the sweats. Dr. said it might be "the change"- maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not.

I felt really really energetic the first 6 weeks. Now I feel very tired all the time. This is definitely the most difficult time of the year for me anyway- the dead of winter. I guess time will tell.

Angel2Girl

Posted

Welcome to the Cymbalta Room! I think you mught have something with 'the change'.

I go to bed at night and wait for the internal, (or was that the infernal?) furnace to turn on. It must be an 'Ole Reliable', as it never lets me down, lol!

A friend of mine has the same thing, only she can't stand to be near a fireplace or she's dripping away. She's on 30mg. a day. Imagine her on 60!

We're happy to have you here, Angel2girl! :hearts:

Jackie

Posted

Hi,

I am extremely sensitive to medications and am trying to get myself on cymbalta. I am on remeron already. Has anyone had any experience with opening the capsules and taking a half or quarter dose???

thanks for your help,

gigi

Posted

Welcome, gigi! What a cute name! :hearts:

It's not recommended that you do this as this is a time-released med and will burn your throat on the way down.

What kind of problem are you having? :bump:

Jackie

Posted

I seem to be very sensitive to all of the antidepressants that I have been tried on, ie with side effects, and have the best luck by starting at the smallest dose possible and slowly going up. So, I am hoping that there is a way to try the cymbalta at a smaller dose.....

I actually sprinkled out what I estimated to be about a quarter of the 20 mg capsule last evening and took it with a spoon of yogurt. have not noticed any remarkable side effects other than the usual "zombie sedation" I have from the remeron. So, maybe this will work.

Just curious if anyone else had done this. My pdoc have been very helpful in helping me navigate this nightmare of meds and side effects and thought that it would be okay.

thanks so much for any help,

best,

gigi

Posted

I seem to be very sensitive to all of the antidepressants that I have been tried on, ie with side effects, and have the best luck by starting at the smallest dose possible and slowly going up. So, I am hoping that there is a way to try the cymbalta at a smaller dose.....

I actually sprinkled out what I estimated to be about a quarter of the 20 mg capsule last evening and took it with a spoon of yogurt. have not noticed any remarkable side effects other than the usual "zombie sedation" I have from the remeron. So, maybe this will work.

Just curious if anyone else had done this. My pdoc have been very helpful in helping me navigate this nightmare of meds and side effects and thought that it would be okay.

thanks so much for any help,

best,

gigi

Is Cutting Your Pills a Safe Way to Save Money?

Leticia Dieleman

Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate, May 2002

The University of Iowa

If you've filled a prescription lately, you're probably interested in ways to cut the high costs of medication. The title line of an article in the Wall Street Journal (July 27, 2001) suggested "An Easy Remedy: Cut Your Drug Bills in Half By Cutting Pills In Half." But this advice only works for certain medicines. By splitting some medicines, you could be putting your health at risk.

Splitting pills can save money because different strengths of a medicine are sometimes about the same in price. For example, each 20 mg pill of a medicine commonly prescribed to lower cholesterol costs about $3.57, while each 40 mg pill of the same drug costs about $3.61. If your doctor prescribes 20 mg of this drug daily, you could save about $640.00 over a year by buying the 40 mg pills and splitting them in half.

With many medicines, it is perfectly safe to split pills. Some pills have a grooved line on them where they break most easily (this is called scoring). Pills are scored so doctors can prescribe doses that are not otherwise available or adjust your dose without you having to get a new prescription. When pills are scored, you know that they are safe to cut.

Pills that aren't scored may not be safe to cut. Some of these pills will not work correctly if they are cut. Others are too difficult to cut or cutting is risky because an exact dose is so important.

The following are types of medicines that should not be cut:

Capsules

Capsules are really just shells that hold in the medicine. The medicine may be a liquid, a powder, or in tiny pellets. If the capsule is cut or opened, the medicine inside is almost impossible to divide equally.

Timed-release medicines

Timed-release medicines may also be called long-acting, controlled-release, or extended-release medicines. These pills have special coatings or are made of materials that can control how fast the medicine is released from the pill. When these pills are split, the medicine gets out too fast, and you could get too much medicine at once.

Enteric-coated medicines

These pills are designed to release medicine after it passes through the stomach. They are covered with a special coating that won't let the drug out while the pill is still in the stomach. These pills protect your stomach from the medicine and protect the medicine from the acid in your stomach. Cutting these pills lets the medicine out too soon. It may then cause irritation or be destroyed by the acid in your stomach.

Transdermal Patches

Some medicines come in patches that stick to your skin like band-aids. Over time, the medicine travels from the patch through your skin and into your body. Some patches can be cut into smaller pieces, but always ask your doctor and pharmacist first. The patch may not stick to your skin like it needs to if it is cut. The drug may be in a liquid or gel inside the patch, so cutting it would let the drug out and either too much drug or not enough drug would get to your body.

Medicines that require a precise dose

With some medicines, it is very important that you get exactly the same dose every time you take your medicine. Think of a pill as a blueberry muffin. The actual drug is scattered throughout the pill like blueberries in the muffin. Even if you are able to split the muffin exactly in half, you probably won't get exactly half of the blueberries in each side. Medicines that control your heartbeat or help prevent seizures are examples of medicines that require an exact dose. Cutting these medicines could result in you taking more or less medicine than you need. The dose you get could be so high it's dangerous, or so low that it's not useful.

If you are thinking about splitting your pills to save money, it's a good idea to ask your doctor and pharmacist these questions first:

Can my medicine safely be cut in half?

Does my medicine come in a strength that is two times the dose I take?

How much money will I save by buying the larger pills and splitting them in half?

There are other things to consider, too. Cutting pills accurately is not an easy task. It is especially difficult if you have poor vision, arthritis, or unsteady hands. Pill splitting may not be practical for pills that are small, odd-shaped or not scored. Your pills may crumble or break unevenly when you try to cut them. If you are going to cut your pills, the safest and most reliable way is to use a pill splitter. These cost about $5.00 and can be bought at your pharmacy.

Taking your medicines becomes more complicated if you decide to split your pills. You can work with your doctor and pharmacist to develop ways to make sure you always take the right dose of each medicine. For example, it might help to put a bright color sticker on your pill bottle to remind you to split those pills.

SOURCE:- Consumer Health Information Corporation.

Welcome to the forums, gigi. :bump:

I hope this will help and will clarify pill or capsule splitting for you, hon. If you are sensitive already..you just may be giving yoursef different doses each day and it can be harmful.

Please consult your Dr. or Pharamcist about this. :hearts:

Take care.

Posted

Thank you very much for the information, Lindsay. Very informative. I think I may just need to bite the bullet and take the 20 mg capsule.

it is so comforting to have this forum for help.

thanks so much and peace,

gigi

Posted

Hello! First I have a question: what type of pills are you taking? I'm assuming they are the same one's that I have, a plastic capsule that can be pulled apart with the little "dots" in it...my pdoc started me with 30mg pills, but it made me way too nauseus taking the whole thing, so what I did was open the capsule, pour some out (I started with just about a quarter of what was in there) and then reclose the capsule, and take it in that. If you can reclose the capsule with the dots in it, you should be fine. My pdoc told me I could do that even before I told him it made me sick. You end up wasting some of it, but its worth it if its an easier transition for you. However, if you are taking another kind of pill, I wouldn't know if that was a good idea. I had no problems tho! You can always call your doc and check on it. Good luck!

Posted

20mg. is really a small dose, so why not try to take it when you wake up in the morning, and maybe you won't have any side-effects. The usual dose is 60mg. I think most of us take it in the morning, anyhow. :hearts:

Posted

Hi. Just wanted to introduce myself and ask some questions of you guys.

I started Cymbalta about 11 days ago. The first 7 days I was taking 30mg, then increased to 60mg on the 8th day. I've been on 60mg for 4 days.

Since I started here are some things that are going on with me:

Loss of appetite

Fatigue, mostly in the afternoon/early evening

Loss of sleep - I get to sleep ok, but wake up early in the morning, typically around 4am

Increased sweating

Feeling of being cold in my lower legs and feet

I have read many posts on here and have seen all of these as side effects people have seen. Could anyone comment on these for me? I'm willing to ride this thing out, especially if I feel the side effects will subside after an adjustment period.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Posted

:hearts: SoCarFan!!

You're on the usual titer for dosing.

I still have the cold lower legs and feet, but I smoke, so I can't say that mine is caused from Cymbalta, but that's an interesting observation!

You don't say when you take your meds, but I'm taking mine as soon as I wake up and sometimes struggle with early awakening around 2:30am.

I feel tired around 1pm and usually take an hours nap. If I was working, I'd be fine. It's just easy to give into this, and I'm busy with three kids, otherwise....

I have lots of anxiety with my depression, and it's not been a problem.

I have fibromyalgia and the horrible muscle flares have stopped, except for twice and that's good for the 1 1/2 years I've been on Cymbalta. I like it better than Lexapro.

I know all about the sweating, but I'm going through menopause, so I get it double. I'm either putting a sweater on or pulling one off. It's like I can't regulate my body temperature too well and have to watch what I dress in.

Glad to have you with us!! :shocked:

Jackie :bump:

Posted

Jkm,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I sure hope these SEs subside soon. My appetite was a little stronger yesterday for lunch, but I didnt eat much dinner last nite, nor am I really hungry for breakfast this morning.

Maybe once I get a couple of weeks-worth of this stuff in me my body will start to even out.

Oh, BTW, I'm taking my meds in the AM, typically around 7:30am.

Posted

Most have the stomach thing and my advice is to use something OTC, so you can eat. I lost 10%of my body weight with depression and anxiety in the past, so my doc was really keen and gave me something for the acid this med seemed to create.

Good Luck!!

Jackie :hearts:

Posted

I'll try that. I dont feel very nauseated, just not hungry. I dont know... I'm getting tired of being tired too....

Posted

I know how that is. It's a long ride onto an AD, but remember that we didn't get depressed overnight, so it's 'stay the course!" It gets much better after the initial start-up effects phase is over. I felt like my stomach was full and had to make myself eat, as I knew the medication was doing a number on my stomach.

It goes away. I gained a couple of pounds and I hadn't gained on anything and had been underweight for years. I finally got into a size where I didn't look like a waif! Depression and anxiety are a bad mixture for me. Lots better on this med, believe me!!

Jackie :hearts:

Posted

I heard that those little time released balls can burn you mucus membranes, so who wants their throat burned? Call the doc for advice.

Posted

It gets better, so give it some time. I think it's a good med, but we've got this discusson about cold feet going on in another area. Are your feet cold all the time? I thought it was just me..... :hearts:

Posted

Hey- I started cymbalta only 7 days ago at 30 mgs and I am experiencing exactly the same side effects as you. I have each and every one of them. I only sweat during the night time, though. I wake up at almost exactly 4 pm every single morning since I've been on it. This is the only side effect that really bothers me much at all. The sweating isn't fun either, but the waking up is really bothering me, expecially after I get so tired in the evening. Do you take your meds in the morning or the evening? I am willing to ride it out, too, especially because I was so incredibly depressed. I feel so good now it's hard to believe. It has also taken all of my fibro pain away. Let me know if your symptoms go away or get worse! Thanks- Andrea