Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Welcome To The Cymbalta - Cymbalta ® (duloxetine Hcl) Forum!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
497 replies to this topic

#1 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Admin Team

• Super Administrators
  • 14,460 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:53 AM

Welcome to the Cymbalta - Cymbalta ® (duloxetine HCl) forum! Please feel free to post a bit about yourself so we can get acquainted.

Read around the room as there is a wealth of information on Cymbalta even on the back pages and you may also add a reply to any topic that fits what is on your mind!
If you don't find what you are looking for, go ahead and post here in this welcome thread or feel free to start your own Topic..

Looking forward to getting to know you! :hearts:

:bump:

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

"One person can make a difference through their seemingly small actions" ~Unknown
"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived". ~ Bessie Stanley

Depression Forums are PG rated and we comply with Health on the Net's HONcode
goldenvelope1jr.gifplatinumstar.jpg

Hotlines

#2 sky

sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:04 AM

HI, im 23yrs old female. ive been taking this drug for nearly a year now. startd on 30mgs and around 2 months ago went up to 60mgs but taking to lots of 30mg one in morning and one in the afternoon.
Ive found that this drug has help a lot but has some side effects im not to keen on. for example the horrible nightly sweats i have and horrible dry mouths.

#3 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

• Super Administrators
  • 15,144 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:03 PM

Hi sky!

I'm sure someone will be around to chat with you about Cymbalta. I really have no experience taking this med. :hearts:

Take very good care of yourself.

Be Well....

DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.  
My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#4 pamey

pamey

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:41 AM

[size=1]
HI! MY NAME IS PAMEY, AND IM IN THIS ROOM FOR THE SAME REASON AS ALL OF YOU, IM DEPRESSED, HAVE ANXIETY, AND PMDD--OR BIPOLAR 2. IM ON MEDS, AND WANT TO HEAR FROM ALL OF YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH THEM AND OTHERS THAT MAY BE BETTER. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ANY AND ALL CONSTRUCTIVE OR JUST IDEAS IN GENERAL FROM ALL. :bump: :hearts: I AM ON 60 MGS CYMBALTA AFTER GETTING OFF LEXAPRO AND ZOLOFT BEFORE THAT FROM TERRIBLE WEIGHT GAIN!! IVE LOST SOME WEIGHT, BUT THE CYMBALTA ISNT HELPING THE DEPRESSION LIKE THE LEXAPRO. ALSO, I JUST STARTED TOPAMAX FOR THE MOODINESS FROM THE BIPOLAR/PMDD, AND AM ON 4 MGS KLONOPIN FOR ANXIETY AND PANIC ATTACKS(SINCE JULY 1995). THE CYMBALTA WAS GREAT AT FIRST, BUT NOW 4 MONTHS LATER--POOPED OUT!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

Edited by pamey, 27 January 2006 - 05:00 AM.

#5 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:12 AM

:hearts: Pamey!! I was on Lexparo and got on Cymbalta a month after it came out. I haven't noticed any poop out! I just have other conditions and don't know how compatible the meds are. I'm having trouble getting sleep at night. Seems like I could stay awake 24hrs. a day.

I'm looking forward to seeing you posts in the other Cymbalta rooms.

Jackie :bump:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#6 minidriver

minidriver

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:51 PM

Hi Guys,
I'm goign to go pick up a script for Cymbalta today. I'm sure hoping it helps. I haven't been on anything in awhile. I did take Welbutrin but had to stop because it messed with my HTN too much. Took me a long time to get to this point of needing meds again but I'm so sick of crying and crying over a bit of nothing and I have not much motivation for this life right now.
So here's hoping it helps. They started me on 20mg bid. Wonder if it's best to take it all at once. I had a sample of it and it seems it made my tummy unhappy. This was quite a while ago. And I think I took like two doses and said I didn't want to take it anymore. This time I want to stay with it. I need to feel better and I feel ready.
Thanks for being here.

sad minidriver

#7 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:08 PM

My doc had me take an antacid with it till the tummy thing went away. Stay with it, as the benefits are worth it. Hopefully, the side effects will be gone by the beginning of next week!

Maybe the side effects are worth not feeling so blue all the time? Depression can turn your world up side down. Hope it goes right side up for you real soon! :hearts:
Posted Image

#8 Angel2girl

Angel2girl

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:53 PM

HI, im 23yrs old female. ive been taking this drug for nearly a year now. startd on 30mgs and around 2 months ago went up to 60mgs but taking to lots of 30mg one in morning and one in the afternoon.
Ive found that this drug has help a lot but has some side effects im not to keen on. for example the horrible nightly sweats i have and horrible dry mouths.

[size=1][size=2]Hi sky,
I'm 48 & I've been on cymbalta for 2 months now. I was taking prozac for years. I am also taking wellbutrin 300 xl. I too have the sweats. Dr. said it might be "the change"- maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not.
I felt really really energetic the first 6 weeks. Now I feel very tired all the time. This is definitely the most difficult time of the year for me anyway- the dead of winter. I guess time will tell.
Angel2Girl

#9 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:16 PM

Welcome to the Cymbalta Room! I think you mught have something with 'the change'.

I go to bed at night and wait for the internal, (or was that the infernal?) furnace to turn on. It must be an 'Ole Reliable', as it never lets me down, lol!

A friend of mine has the same thing, only she can't stand to be near a fireplace or she's dripping away. She's on 30mg. a day. Imagine her on 60!

We're happy to have you here, Angel2girl! :hearts:

Jackie
Posted Image

#10 gigi

gigi

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:40 PM

Hi,

I am extremely sensitive to medications and am trying to get myself on cymbalta. I am on remeron already. Has anyone had any experience with opening the capsules and taking a half or quarter dose???

thanks for your help,

gigi

#11 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:43 PM

Welcome, gigi! What a cute name! :hearts:

It's not recommended that you do this as this is a time-released med and will burn your throat on the way down.

What kind of problem are you having? :bump:

Jackie
Posted Image

#12 gigi

gigi

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:46 PM

I seem to be very sensitive to all of the antidepressants that I have been tried on, ie with side effects, and have the best luck by starting at the smallest dose possible and slowly going up. So, I am hoping that there is a way to try the cymbalta at a smaller dose.....

I actually sprinkled out what I estimated to be about a quarter of the 20 mg capsule last evening and took it with a spoon of yogurt. have not noticed any remarkable side effects other than the usual "zombie sedation" I have from the remeron. So, maybe this will work.

Just curious if anyone else had done this. My pdoc have been very helpful in helping me navigate this nightmare of meds and side effects and thought that it would be okay.

thanks so much for any help,

best,
gigi

#13 Lindsay

Lindsay

• Super Administrators
  • 15,144 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:29 PM

I seem to be very sensitive to all of the antidepressants that I have been tried on, ie with side effects, and have the best luck by starting at the smallest dose possible and slowly going up. So, I am hoping that there is a way to try the cymbalta at a smaller dose.....

I actually sprinkled out what I estimated to be about a quarter of the 20 mg capsule last evening and took it with a spoon of yogurt. have not noticed any remarkable side effects other than the usual "zombie sedation" I have from the remeron. So, maybe this will work.

Just curious if anyone else had done this. My pdoc have been very helpful in helping me navigate this nightmare of meds and side effects and thought that it would be okay.

thanks so much for any help,

best,
gigi

Is Cutting Your Pills a Safe Way to Save Money?

Leticia Dieleman
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate, May 2002
The University of Iowa

If you've filled a prescription lately, you're probably interested in ways to cut the high costs of medication. The title line of an article in the Wall Street Journal (July 27, 2001) suggested "An Easy Remedy: Cut Your Drug Bills in Half By Cutting Pills In Half." But this advice only works for certain medicines. By splitting some medicines, you could be putting your health at risk.

Splitting pills can save money because different strengths of a medicine are sometimes about the same in price. For example, each 20 mg pill of a medicine commonly prescribed to lower cholesterol costs about $3.57, while each 40 mg pill of the same drug costs about $3.61. If your doctor prescribes 20 mg of this drug daily, you could save about $640.00 over a year by buying the 40 mg pills and splitting them in half.

With many medicines, it is perfectly safe to split pills. Some pills have a grooved line on them where they break most easily (this is called scoring). Pills are scored so doctors can prescribe doses that are not otherwise available or adjust your dose without you having to get a new prescription. When pills are scored, you know that they are safe to cut.

Pills that aren't scored may not be safe to cut. Some of these pills will not work correctly if they are cut. Others are too difficult to cut or cutting is risky because an exact dose is so important.

The following are types of medicines that should not be cut:

Capsules
Capsules are really just shells that hold in the medicine. The medicine may be a liquid, a powder, or in tiny pellets. If the capsule is cut or opened, the medicine inside is almost impossible to divide equally.
Timed-release medicines
Timed-release medicines may also be called long-acting, controlled-release, or extended-release medicines. These pills have special coatings or are made of materials that can control how fast the medicine is released from the pill. When these pills are split, the medicine gets out too fast, and you could get too much medicine at once.
Enteric-coated medicines
These pills are designed to release medicine after it passes through the stomach. They are covered with a special coating that won't let the drug out while the pill is still in the stomach. These pills protect your stomach from the medicine and protect the medicine from the acid in your stomach. Cutting these pills lets the medicine out too soon. It may then cause irritation or be destroyed by the acid in your stomach.
Transdermal Patches
Some medicines come in patches that stick to your skin like band-aids. Over time, the medicine travels from the patch through your skin and into your body. Some patches can be cut into smaller pieces, but always ask your doctor and pharmacist first. The patch may not stick to your skin like it needs to if it is cut. The drug may be in a liquid or gel inside the patch, so cutting it would let the drug out and either too much drug or not enough drug would get to your body.
Medicines that require a precise dose
With some medicines, it is very important that you get exactly the same dose every time you take your medicine. Think of a pill as a blueberry muffin. The actual drug is scattered throughout the pill like blueberries in the muffin. Even if you are able to split the muffin exactly in half, you probably won't get exactly half of the blueberries in each side. Medicines that control your heartbeat or help prevent seizures are examples of medicines that require an exact dose. Cutting these medicines could result in you taking more or less medicine than you need. The dose you get could be so high it's dangerous, or so low that it's not useful.

If you are thinking about splitting your pills to save money, it's a good idea to ask your doctor and pharmacist these questions first:

Can my medicine safely be cut in half?
Does my medicine come in a strength that is two times the dose I take?
How much money will I save by buying the larger pills and splitting them in half?

There are other things to consider, too. Cutting pills accurately is not an easy task. It is especially difficult if you have poor vision, arthritis, or unsteady hands. Pill splitting may not be practical for pills that are small, odd-shaped or not scored. Your pills may crumble or break unevenly when you try to cut them. If you are going to cut your pills, the safest and most reliable way is to use a pill splitter. These cost about $5.00 and can be bought at your pharmacy.

Taking your medicines becomes more complicated if you decide to split your pills. You can work with your doctor and pharmacist to develop ways to make sure you always take the right dose of each medicine. For example, it might help to put a bright color sticker on your pill bottle to remind you to split those pills.

SOURCE:- Consumer Health Information Corporation.

Welcome to the forums, gigi. :bump:
I hope this will help and will clarify pill or capsule splitting for you, hon. If you are sensitive already..you just may be giving yoursef different doses each day and it can be harmful.
Please consult your Dr. or Pharamcist about this. :hearts:

Take care.

Be Well....

DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.  
My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#14 gigi

gigi

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:50 PM

Thank you very much for the information, Lindsay. Very informative. I think I may just need to bite the bullet and take the 20 mg capsule.

it is so comforting to have this forum for help.

thanks so much and peace,
gigi

#15 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:02 PM

Hello! First I have a question: what type of pills are you taking? I'm assuming they are the same one's that I have, a plastic capsule that can be pulled apart with the little "dots" in it...my pdoc started me with 30mg pills, but it made me way too nauseus taking the whole thing, so what I did was open the capsule, pour some out (I started with just about a quarter of what was in there) and then reclose the capsule, and take it in that. If you can reclose the capsule with the dots in it, you should be fine. My pdoc told me I could do that even before I told him it made me sick. You end up wasting some of it, but its worth it if its an easier transition for you. However, if you are taking another kind of pill, I wouldn't know if that was a good idea. I had no problems tho! You can always call your doc and check on it. Good luck!
Trying to save myself, but my self keeps slipping away...

#16 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:01 PM

20mg. is really a small dose, so why not try to take it when you wake up in the morning, and maybe you won't have any side-effects. The usual dose is 60mg. I think most of us take it in the morning, anyhow. :hearts:
Posted Image

#17 SoCarFan

SoCarFan

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:10 AM

Hi. Just wanted to introduce myself and ask some questions of you guys.

I started Cymbalta about 11 days ago. The first 7 days I was taking 30mg, then increased to 60mg on the 8th day. I've been on 60mg for 4 days.

Since I started here are some things that are going on with me:

Loss of appetite
Fatigue, mostly in the afternoon/early evening
Loss of sleep - I get to sleep ok, but wake up early in the morning, typically around 4am
Increased sweating
Feeling of being cold in my lower legs and feet

I have read many posts on here and have seen all of these as side effects people have seen. Could anyone comment on these for me? I'm willing to ride this thing out, especially if I feel the side effects will subside after an adjustment period.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

#18 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

:hearts: SoCarFan!!

You're on the usual titer for dosing.

I still have the cold lower legs and feet, but I smoke, so I can't say that mine is caused from Cymbalta, but that's an interesting observation!

You don't say when you take your meds, but I'm taking mine as soon as I wake up and sometimes struggle with early awakening around 2:30am.

I feel tired around 1pm and usually take an hours nap. If I was working, I'd be fine. It's just easy to give into this, and I'm busy with three kids, otherwise....

I have lots of anxiety with my depression, and it's not been a problem.

I have fibromyalgia and the horrible muscle flares have stopped, except for twice and that's good for the 1 1/2 years I've been on Cymbalta. I like it better than Lexapro.

I know all about the sweating, but I'm going through menopause, so I get it double. I'm either putting a sweater on or pulling one off. It's like I can't regulate my body temperature too well and have to watch what I dress in.

Glad to have you with us!! :shocked:

Jackie :bump:
Posted Image

#19 SoCarFan

SoCarFan

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:59 AM

Jkm,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I sure hope these SEs subside soon. My appetite was a little stronger yesterday for lunch, but I didnt eat much dinner last nite, nor am I really hungry for breakfast this morning.

Maybe once I get a couple of weeks-worth of this stuff in me my body will start to even out.

Oh, BTW, I'm taking my meds in the AM, typically around 7:30am.

#20 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

Most have the stomach thing and my advice is to use something OTC, so you can eat. I lost 10%of my body weight with depression and anxiety in the past, so my doc was really keen and gave me something for the acid this med seemed to create.

Good Luck!!

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

#21 SoCarFan

SoCarFan

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

I'll try that. I dont feel very nauseated, just not hungry. I dont know... I'm getting tired of being tired too....

#22 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

I know how that is. It's a long ride onto an AD, but remember that we didn't get depressed overnight, so it's 'stay the course!" It gets much better after the initial start-up effects phase is over. I felt like my stomach was full and had to make myself eat, as I knew the medication was doing a number on my stomach.

It goes away. I gained a couple of pounds and I hadn't gained on anything and had been underweight for years. I finally got into a size where I didn't look like a waif! Depression and anxiety are a bad mixture for me. Lots better on this med, believe me!!

Posted Image

#23 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

I heard that those little time released balls can burn you mucus membranes, so who wants their throat burned? Call the doc for advice.
Posted Image

#24 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

It gets better, so give it some time. I think it's a good med, but we've got this discusson about cold feet going on in another area. Are your feet cold all the time? I thought it was just me..... :hearts:
Posted Image

#25 altallant

altallant

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

Hey- I started cymbalta only 7 days ago at 30 mgs and I am experiencing exactly the same side effects as you. I have each and every one of them. I only sweat during the night time, though. I wake up at almost exactly 4 pm every single morning since I've been on it. This is the only side effect that really bothers me much at all. The sweating isn't fun either, but the waking up is really bothering me, expecially after I get so tired in the evening. Do you take your meds in the morning or the evening? I am willing to ride it out, too, especially because I was so incredibly depressed. I feel so good now it's hard to believe. It has also taken all of my fibro pain away. Let me know if your symptoms go away or get worse! Thanks- Andrea

#26 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

Oh! It's so nice to hear from someone who is using this to treat fibro, too! :tear2:

:hearts: Sweetie!! :shocked: I'm in the midle of a flare of sorts from lugging things that were way too heavy around during the weekend of 'Girls Weekend Out!', lol! I guess I coul dhave sued a stron man, but none were to be found.

The thing that I've found is that it has stopped the horrible feg flares that I have deealth with. I only spent a couple of days in the last year on the heating pad with Mr. Icy Hot! I used to suffer so severely with this kind of pain in the past. I still get the stiffness in the morning, but I can walk that out or get in the bath tub for relief. I also take a small dose of Neurintin at night to keep this pain from developing and the horrible leg and foot cramps that I used to die from in the middle of the night. (I really thought I was cursed.) LOL! :cry:

I take my Cymbalta in the am, but have had problems with sleep, probably due to the anxiety of unemployment. This med is time-released, so we've been fiddling around with the times, trying to adjust it so we can stop the darned nap-habit, but noone has had any luck that I know of, so unless you stay active, it's going to make you groggy, and you have to be ready to take a nap or fight the feeling when it happens.

I need to get the heck out of this house before my family does me in with their laundry, cleaning and cooking. I don't know how I kept up with all this when I wasn't working, and it probably was part of my depression. Too much to do, too little time. At least work kept me from this drudgery of having to do the same thing--day after day, with it still waiting for you to repeat it tomorrow. :nod: Looks like the little woman don't she??!! Not my domain. I'm having a difficult time motivating myself to go back out there, knowing how the work-world is, though. I need the money, so it really isn't a choice. :mad1: I guess I may as well get paid for servitude!! :blush21:

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. We have a couple of rooms down below that will fill you in on where we're at with this med. Most either can take it or not. The worst thingy is the flu-like symptoms. It sounds like you're just about through that phase. Don't take it on an empty stomach, and if your stomach is upset, it's safe to take something otc for stomach acid.

So glad to have a fibro-buddie on the forums. There are more of us in Depression and Other Illnesses! :bump: Come over for a visit!! :shocked:
Posted Image

#27 altallant

altallant

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:08 AM

.. Thank you so much for that reply! It made me feel alot better about everything right now. I've never actually met or spoke to another person with fibromyalgia. My father has depression, so I can talk to him about that, but it's really nice to hear from someone else w/ fibro! I hope your flare up dies down.. those can be so bad. It sounds like you've been doing pretty well with pain, though. That's great!

I've been feeling fine for almost a week now (which at this point is amazing for me!), but then I woke up this morning and just thought that I was going to die because of leg cramps. They've died down a bit.. but I'm still in some pain. ): blahh.. mornings are always hard.. I'm hoping to get to a better point! Hearing that you have been doing pretty well (besides this last flare up) is really getting my hopes up. (: Sometimes it feels like it's never going to get any better, ya know?

I actually haven't been super groggy during the day, just in the evenings. That isn't too bad for me, though, because it's just about when I'm getting ready to go to bed anyway. This i sporbabaly because I take my meds every night about 1/2 hour before I go to sleep.

So you're going back to work? Well good luck! Stay strong with that. I definately feel the same way about that, except with classes. I'm in college and I know it's good for me to get up and get out and work and go to classes, but it is so hard to convince myself to actually do it.

I took your advice about not taking the meds on an empty stomach, and this morning I didn't wake up with stomach cramps liek I have previouisly! I didn't get sick either.. That was a nice bonus! (: Thanks for the suggestion. I hope you start feeling better soon.. If massages help you (gentle ones help me) you should see if there is a massage and beauty school around you. They charge you next to nothing because the students perform the massage while they are supervised to get hours for graduating. It's great (:

I'll definately stop in on the other forums. Thanks so much. Have a great day! (:

#28 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

I take Neurontin 300mg. before I go to bed as the leg cramps have been horrendous. As a matter of fact, I had severe leg cramps last night. I had to get out of bed and walk down the stairs, which is scarey as I'm afraid I'll fall down them. I took a real hot bath to get them calmed down, and it worked.

What I really hate, is that the next day my legs are so sore. I have been dx'd with restless leg syndrome. I had two ultrasound scans as the doc wanted to know if I had poor circulation, but it was negative. He said my veins and arteries were working, fine. I think it's from the fibro. I started up way before the Cymbalta.

I also have irritable bowel that acts up infrequently. It started up before I went out of town with some friends and my two daughters. I guess I had some residual fear of leaving the house and I had to take meds for that the whole time I was away.

Posted Image

#29 BJDguy

BJDguy

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

I take Neurontin 300mg. before I go to bed as the leg cramps have been horrendous. As a matter of fact, I had severe leg cramps last night. I had to get out of bed and walk down the stairs, which is scarey as I'm afraid I'll fall down them. I took a real hot bath to get them calmed down, and it worked.

What I really hate, is that the next day my legs are so sore. I have been dx'd with restless leg syndrome. I had two ultrasound scans as the doc wanted to know if I had poor circulation, but it was negative. He said my veins and arteries were working, fine. I think it's from the fibro. I started up way before the Cymbalta.

Fascinating, Jackie . . .

I've been on Cymbalta since November or so - without any psychotherapeutic adjunct. I did get the upset tummy the first couple of days at 30mg, and another day after bumping up to 60. I never connected the night sweats to the Cymbalta, though since dry mouth is so much better publicized, I recognized it when it showed up. (I also recognized the sharp decrease in "libido" - though with as much excersize as my libido gets, that may be a _beneficial_ side effect!) In addition, I noted some extreme differences in my patterns of - and need for - sleep. Whereas I might previously have been able to stay awake until three, four or five o'clock and function well enough the next day, now I'm about done between ten and eleven PM.

Your comments about fibromyalgia are particularly interesting, as even now, I get cramps in my legs and feet - though I've only ever gotten them at night, or when using fins for SCUBA or snorkeling. My GP originally put me on Cymbalta because I'd complained of pain in my lower back, hip and right leg. Obviously, I have a lot to learn - about me.

~Bruce

#30 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:21 AM

I had this problem with my legs cramping prior to treatment for anxiety and depression. When I'd drive or go to bed at night, I had horrendous leg cramps and would have to walk, take a hot bath , get out he Icy Hot and use a heating pad to get the muscles to relax. OMG! I was one of the most painful things I ever experienced, and I had two babies, natural.

I was checked twice for blood clots in my legs--no problem. My GP sent me to a thorasic specialist and he determined that I had restless leg syndrome. He started me on Neurontin and I've been on the same dose for one year. (300. mg. at night) it also helps with the fibromyalgia pain I have in my lower legs.

Without this med, it starts up at night. The minute I lie down, here comes the cramping. There's no known medical cause of thie, either. Lately, I've had these episodes where the bottoms of my feet burn and hrt so bad it hurts to stand. Something definitely going on.

It took me two years to get the restless leg dx., so I'm needing to read more on this dx., and see if this is part of it. The Cymbalta is supposed to be good for diabetic neuropathy..... Guess I need to get back with my GP and see what she knows about this, or ask for a referral to someone who treats this kind of disorder.

We have a topic on fibro in the pain disorders room. Take a look. There are major symptoms posted at the top. This illness has symptoms of trigger points, located in you shoulders, neck, various locations inyour back, ect. When pushed on, the pain can radiate down your arms and legs and can leave you with a feeling of intense soreness and numbnesss. I've had it for 30yrs., and it sucks. When the weather changes I used to have intense pain in both my legs and they still get hot like they are on fire. Cymbalta has improved this pain by lowering the effect and making life more easy.

There's a new med coming out that is nothing but a stepped up neurontin with another ingredient like cymbalta. I imagine it will be $$. I'll stay with 'tried and works'. Neurontin is about $30. a month, generic. I have talked to many people with fibro who can't take it as it makes their legs sewll or they don't like the feeling it produces. It kind of gives ne a lift while reducing the pain. Some complaine that they feel groggy in the am. As long as it's not addictive, I'll stay with it. It seems that everything else for pain is. You can't be on an addictive med for a pain syndrome.

Glad to hear from someone who is on Cymbalta for something other than depression. Most of mine comes from this pain disorder and the Cymbalta takes the anxiety down that goes with the pain. It really can put the screws to your life.

Posted Image

#31 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:56 PM

Hi, I'm Kelly and I am currently taking 60mg cymbalta. I started it a few months ago and took it for about 7 weeks...I didn't think it was helping me, so I stopped. Well, I realize it was helping more so than I first thought. I have started it again and today is my 4th day. I have learned so much just by reading the discussions. I am so glad to have found a support group specifically for this medication. I am looking forward to speaking to everyone about it. I have been diagnosed with gad, panic disorder and mild depression.

#32 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:20 PM

I was on Lexapro for the same symptoms for 15mo. and went to Cymbalta because of the effect it was supposed to have on neuropathy. I don't have Diabetes, but I do have some nerve damage and who knows what else from an old slipped disc that I didn't want to risk surgery over.

I experienced some severe leg cramping along with the panic disorder and was hoping it would go away with Lexapro or Cymbalta and finally was dx'd with Restless Leg Syndrome. Here, I just found out last week that my youngest brother has it, too, but refuses to seek treatment. (I take a low dose of Neurontin to stop the cramping, icky feeling and help my legs relax).

DO you have any reasons other than the obvious for choosing Cymbalta? Are you going through the stomach thing since going back on it. Have you noticed any problems with concentration while on it?

What was coming off of it like?

I have plenty to ask and share, too!

I'm glad you came here and hope the med gets you back to where you were. :shocked:

Jackie :hearts: :bump:
Posted Image

#33 deepdiver

deepdiver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:23 AM

Hi, I changed to Cymbalta about a month ago and the only side effect that I have is dry mouth. I am now on 60 mg. Before I took Zoloft for about 1 year. Cymbalta is giving more calm effect to me, I think, more sedating. My doc said that Cymbalta works after 3 days, while other meds takes 2 weeks to kick in. Anyways, starting tomorrow I'm taking 30 mg and I take it in the mornings. Yes I do wake up too early in the mornings but I guess it is not Cymbalta because I experience that even with Zoloft.

I do hope though, that after this 30 mg I will be off medication. I do look forward to that.
Live might be hard for me right now but I'm working hard to get over the depression, even if I have to crawl slowly to recovery...

#34 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:30 AM

Are you taking the cymbalta temporairly to get off the other ad? Can you explaine?
Posted Image

#35 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

Jackie, no I don't have any other reasons for taking the cymbalta other than the anxiety and panic disorder. There is mild depression, but the anxiety is the worst for me. I admit coming off the cymbalta threw me into a few days of dizziness and just not feeling well. That was my fault, though, because I stopped cold turkey. I'm sure with a taper it will be okay. I don't think I'm having any concentration difficulties. It may be too early to tell. The 2nd time I started it back, I did not have the severe stomach issues like the first time.
I like the cymbalta, I think. It is not making me as tired the 2nd go round. I take it in the am, and still have the 5:00 crash, but it's not quite as bad this time. I think the cymbalta is okay for my depression, but I'm thinking it just might not cut it for the anxiety. I'm trying to stick it out and see.
I'm glad to be here. My aunt has neuropathy, and I understand it can be quite painful. I feel for you.
Kelly

#36 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

Oh, one more thing. Unfortunately, it causes severe constipation for me. I experienced this the 1st time and now again. As soon as I've taken it for 4-5 days, the constipation starts.

Edited by americandancer, 09 July 2006 - 08:24 PM.

#37 Viviane

Viviane

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:52 AM

I will watch out for that side effect

I have just popped in here to get my 'official' welcome for joining the fold

will let you all know how this med goes :)

#38 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:13 AM

Viv, why are you taking cymbalta? Are you taking it for the pain relief like others, or depression, anxiety, etc?

#39 Viviane

Viviane

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:24 AM

for depression and anxiety
if it works on some pain I have that is a bonus but I am not really expecting it to

#40 was

was

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

HI all. Usual story - recurrent (now officially "treatment refractory") major depression with anxiety. I've been on the "medication mambo" - SSRIs, SNRIs, haven't tried (and don't want to try) the tricyclics or MAOIs. I was on Remeron for quite a while - I loved that med. When it lost effectiveness I switched to Effexor, and now it has lost effectiveness. Am starting a taper of the Effexor and will begin to take Cymbalta. Next stop, if this doesn't work, is a consult for ECT. But I'd really like to give the Cymbalta a good try. Has anyone made the switch from Effexor to Cymbalta? Any tips? There are lots of scary stories about the Serotonin Syndrome coming off Effexor - anyone have any experience coping with that?

Before I forget (which I do all the time now!), I'd like to add my word of appreciation for the administrators and all the brave souls who participate in this forum. Thanks to all of you.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users