Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Is Anyone On An Antidepressant And Adderall?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Chrysalis68

Chrysalis68

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hi,
I am currently on 30mg of adderall xr and I also suffer from depression.
Is anyone on an antidepressant as well as adderall?
I just tried pristiq but I have severe anxiety and irritability with it.
I could really use some feedback. I was thinking of trying lexapro. Has anyone tried this
combination?

#2 scottybear

scottybear

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

I took got very anxious and agitated on Pristiq, when I just wanted it to work for both depression and anxiety. I have tried Lexapro w/ Adderall. The Lexapro relaxes me although tends to make be a bit foggy minded which may impact the ADD. Celexa has similar effects.

Edited by scottybear, 09 June 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#3 LoonATiK

LoonATiK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

in my current cocktail, i have Adderall XR 30mg with WB XR at 300mg. however, i just got off of Lex at 20mg.

WB is much more activating than Lex, so i guess it's hard to judge whether or not someone with ADHD should get WB or Lex (or a different sedating SSRI).

it's my non-professional opinion that it's better for us to have what is activating, because it seems to me that because stimulants actually calm us and focus us, that another activating drug like WB would help out. that's totally my thinking and not any pdoc's idea that i know of.

i felt a lot better as far as my brain fog goes when i quit the Lex (about two weeks ago now). i'm not more jumpy but i am more focused, being that the brain fog has lessened. even though i'm on the Adderall, I still have brain fog here and there. i also have impulsivity and a lack of motivation at times, but my symptoms have clearly improved since the addition of the Adderall.
Current cocktail: Abilify 30mg. Adderall XR 30mg, Lamictal 400mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lithium 1200mg

DX: BP1, ADHD, and PTSD

In tribute to my dad, BP1 suicide.

"She sits in a corner by the door...there must be more I can tell her. If she really wants me to help her, I'll do what I can to show her the way, and maybe one day I will free her. But I know, no one can see through her. Lisa, Lisa, sad Lisa, Lisa..."

-- Sad Lisa by Cat Stevens

#4 BearsTrail

BearsTrail

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:12 PM

hi,

I've been on Lexapro for over 2 years and Adderall for about 9 months. I was diagnosed with major depression and started out on 10 mg of Lexapro. I ramped up to 20mg a day and reached a nice, level mindset. After some months of Cognitive behavioral Therapy, it was concluded that I also likely had ADD. I was started on the generic Adderal and my dosage is now 20 MG 2X daily.

I am currently ramping off of the Adderal because I am doubting the ADD diagnosis. I definitely have a hard time concentrating and I am very easily distracted, but i think most of the improvement was more from the speed and energy boost then from ADD symptoms being relieved.

regardless, it was a relatively gentle combo to be on, but watch the Lexapro, ramp up slowly and do not miss doses. You will feel it. That being said, after I conclude the Adderal experiment, i plan to stay on the Lexapro, it's been a good thing for me.

Jay

#5 notlifebutmagnificent

notlifebutmagnificent

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

I'm on 30mg Adderall XR and have been for quite a while. I've also been on Vyvanse and IR Adderall. I started taking Paxil CR 25mg in December 2008 and continue to take it with only side effects for the first week of use. It has mellowed me out a bit and I noticed after a month or so of taking it that I hadn't cried since I started taking it. It was a nice realization.

#6 mccoffee

mccoffee

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

I take adderall and vyanase the adderall is at 20mgs the vyanase is 70 with the anit depresseent called remeron 45. The adereall at 20mgs which i take currently helps me to focus alot more. Where the vyanase alone doesn't aswell ekeeps me focused it helps with the alert not so much focus.

The vyanase does have less side effects then when i just took 40 of adderall daily. I did notice the anixety is alot more toallable with just the vyanase though.

As far as the anit depresiants the remeron is and will be the only drug that doesn't poop out after a few months every other one i tried worked then quit.

Edited by mccoffee, 22 June 2009 - 04:35 PM.

#7 ADDwoman

ADDwoman

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

I'm on Adderall and Wellbutrin, which is a different AD than an SSRI (like Lexapro).

#8 bunnycarrot

bunnycarrot

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:23 AM

I am on Adderall and just quit Wellbutrin 300 mg. All I can say is, the combo made me MORE depressed. For those of us who have the type of depression where we constatly think about how bad we fell - obsessive thoughts - rumination - it is NO good and only exacerbates it..

I used to be on Paxil and it worked well but the withdrawal was terrible so I would not recommend it since its by far the worst SSRI in terms of that..Im about to start Zoloft and have high hopes

Edited by bunnycarrot, 30 July 2009 - 02:24 AM.

#9 tweak

tweak

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:33 AM

I take adderall, wellbutrin, abilify, and cymbalta. They work OK together for me.

#10 demitriden

demitriden

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

I don't suffer from anxiety, but I have ADD (intattentive), chronic fatigue, and depression. Adderall helps me with ADD. I recently added Paxil for my chronic fatigue and depression and it has been a god send! The physical pain is still there but much less. If you start on Paxil I definitely recommend you take it at night. Paxil made me so energized I didn't have to take Adderall the first 1-2 months.

Doc recently added Wellbutrin... which absolutely has zero affects so far. I was hoping it would be stimulating.. but I guess not.

#11 behindblueeyez

behindblueeyez

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

HI,

I am prescribe Lexapro, as I have a panic disorder, I am not prescribed adderall, but I do use it for school purposes seeing as I do have most symptoms of ADD. I find it works very well, although I do not take the adderall often, so my body hasn't gotten used to it like everyday users and it is still effective for me everytime. I only take 20mg of Adderall, but I have taken 40 mg of Lexapro for 2 years. After many changes in doses and trying other anti depressents, this dosage of Lexapro worked the best, but it seems to exacerbate my ADD symptoms, like losing things, being easily distracted, not reading directions and not finishing tasks. The adderall helps this tremendously and I hope to find a doctor that will prescribe it, although I have not yet tried. Does anyone know if ADD and panic disorders even go together? or am I just apparently a huge mess and procrastinator recently like everyone thinks?

#12 Achelois

Achelois

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

Hi,
I could really use some feedback. I was thinking of trying lexapro. Has anyone tried this
combination?

I am on anti depressant and Ritalin, as far as I know, Adderall is also amphetamine based like Ritalin, am I correct?
We just don't have Adderall here, at all.

So, in my case, it only helped.
Didn't cause any side effects or anxiety.
Ritalin the extended version alone caused anxiety...and with the anti depressant addition, the Ritalin "crash" is much weaker and it eased my depression.

#13 Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Hi,
combination?

I've been on Pristiq for a little over a year. I sometimes think I am the only person who feels the drug works! I take 50 mg every evening. 100 mg is suppose help a lot of with anxiety as well as depression but for me, the fatique that accompanied the 100 mg was too much so I take the 50 mg. I also take Adderall (its generic actually) in the a.m. I took 10, increased to 20 but am going back to the 10 because that worked best for me. The Adderall helps the fatigue from the Pristiq but also helps me focus more. I do not have the jitters etc. tho' I can tell I work faster/more efficiently but I'm not up all night etc.
It's worth asking about..my unsolicted advice is always, always, start on the lowest dose & move up. People talk about the side effects..gotta take the bitter w/the sweet & I would rather deal w/a a little fatigue than feel like #$%^ all the time. Taking something natural is no different - in my opinion - because even over the counter herbs have side effects. I have come to accept, as much as I'd like to be, I am not going to be one of those people that can simply "decide" to be "happy", just exercise/eat right & "wait out the bad feelings" because my history & genetic make up tell me this is who I am chemically & otherwise. I'm done "fighting" the way I am. I've been on medicine & I've lived w/out it, been to therapy, & not. Life is easier now. Maybe not happier - because for me, there will always be an invisible ceiling I hit on the happiness scale, but life is easier in the sense the anxiety/depression/feeling exhauste ,etc. is controlled. Good luck & God Bless.
  • Lacierb89 likes this

#14 akmtgr

akmtgr

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

I take 200mg Zoloft for major depression and OCD. I also take 20mg Adderall 2x/day, along with 1mg Klonopin 3x/day. I take an anti-psychotic, Geodon. I think this combinations balances everything out for me.
Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds.

#15 rickb

rickb

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:51 PM

Might I ask a question here? Perhaps I don't understand the illness, but if ADHD is people that are hyperactive; why is Adderall prescribed? Doesn't that not give you more hyperness? Could someone help me understand this? It's something I've always wondered.

#16 Achelois

Achelois

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

Might I ask a question here? Perhaps I don't understand the illness, but if ADHD is people that are hyperactive; why is Adderall prescribed? Doesn't that not give you more hyperness? Could someone help me understand this? It's something I've always wondered.

There are as much as 6 types of ADHD.
Not all hyperactive.

#17 Avian86

Avian86

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

I'm on Adderall XR and Paxil as well as other meds.

#18 neurochem

neurochem

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

I'm on vyvanse (30 mg, too low of a dose for me) for ADHD and Abilify (5 mg)/Wellbutrin (300 mg) for depression, although the former two don't do much.

Something I've noticed since I've stopped taking the wellbutrin on my own is that it increases the strength and duration of vyvanse, leading me to believe that wellbutrin may have an inhibitory effect on the effects of amphetamine, similar to how SSRI's negate the serotonergic effects of MDMA (ecstasy).
It was love at first oxytocin release.

#19 neurochem

neurochem

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

As said by someone else, not all cases have hyperactivity. However, for example, from what little I have read there are tons of different culprits for ADHD, one being dopamine, which is involved with mental processes such as arousal and can lead to hyperactivity if there is low dopamine (craving of stimuli). One of the theories behind the pathophysiology of ADHD is impaired dopamine activity caused by many different biochemical mechanisms, which drugs such as amphetamine aim to correct by stimulating the release of dopamine. In other words, stimulants compensate for low amounts of certain neurotransmitters like dopamine, akin to how stilts can make a "short" person into a "normal" height person but will make a "normal" person into a "tall" person. It's more complex than that obviously. :)

I think this is also one of the reasons why ADHD can be co-morbid with things like depression, but don't quote me. haha

Edited by neurochem, 06 March 2011 - 11:53 PM.

It was love at first oxytocin release.

#20 Artful Bodger

Artful Bodger

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:05 AM

Currently taking 450 mgs. of buproprion (Wellbutrin) and prescribed 2 20mg cap's of generic Adderall. Emphatically not hyper.

''Foucault makes good reading, but the influence he has had is much crazier than the people who are his subject. Depressed people cannot lead a revolution because depressed people can barely manage to get out of bed and put on their shoes and socks.''
-- Andrew Solomon

#21 stainedglass

stainedglass

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

I've been on 150mg of bupropion (Wellbutrin) for about three months. This might be too low a dose for me, but I'm sort of in denial. As the bupropion was first working its way in, I felt the stimulating sensations. I believe it's working for the depression.

However, this is my second week taking Adderall, and my third day taking it twice daily as prescribed (15mg x 2). I understand that both of these medications are stimulating. Does anybody else feel aggressive???

I've been complaining about every little thing, becoming easily irritated and even angered. Though I have no intention of acting on it, I feel prone to violence (not on another person or myself). I was furious today, and felt like punching the wall. It took me about an hour and a half to calm down.

Anybody have similar side effects? Did it ever subside?

Edited by stainedglass, 24 March 2011 - 09:14 PM.

"Here comes the sun..."

#22 anakean

anakean

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

great question, I think a lot of people wonder the same thing. The answer is pretty simple actually; those of us who have ADD or ADHD are lacking certain neurotransmitters in our brains, particularly norepinephrine and dopamine. The stimulant effect of Adderall and other ADHD medications increases the availability of these neurotransmitters particularly in the "reticular activating system" which initiates alertness and an ability to focus. It corrects an imbalance, and allows our brains to function like they are supposed to- this is why a person who needs Adderall doesn't have the "crazy stay up all night" effects that college kids who buy it as a way to stay up all night studying will.

As far as Adderall and antidepressants- be aware that concurrently they can cause you to have a lowered seizure threshold, so always, I repeat ALWAYS ask your prescribing physician about the safest one and NEVER withold information about the medications and supplements you are taking. It may seem harmless at the time, because you are embarrassed about taking diet pills or supplements to increase your libido, but I assure you, your health is SO much more important than that. Adderall does have potential adverse reactions with many antidepressants, and finding the right combination for you will be something you have to discuss with your physician. Hope this helps!

#23 sad_girl06

sad_girl06

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

I have ADD-PI, chronic fatigue syndrome, and depression. I'm on 50 mg Vyvanse, 300 mg Wellbutrin XL and just recently added 5 mg Lexapro. I've decided to take the Lex every other day because it makes me very sleepy and even more tired then I already am. My neuro suggested Effexor XR instead of Lexapro but I've heard horror stories about the withhdrawal from it.

#24 APerpetualEnigma

APerpetualEnigma

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

I've been on 150mg of bupropion (Wellbutrin) for about three months. This might be too low a dose for me, but I'm sort of in denial. As the bupropion was first working its way in, I felt the stimulating sensations. I believe it's working for the depression.

However, this is my second week taking Adderall, and my third day taking it twice daily as prescribed (15mg x 2). I understand that both of these medications are stimulating. Does anybody else feel aggressive???

I've been complaining about every little thing, becoming easily irritated and even angered. Though I have no intention of acting on it, I feel prone to violence (not on another person or myself). I was furious today, and felt like punching the wall. It took me about an hour and a half to calm down.

Anybody have similar side effects? Did it ever subside?

I know this was posted a long time ago but I had the same symptoms when i was on wellbutrin 150mg. Those symptoms kicked in within a week with me though. I ended up so mad and aggravated i was throwing stuff, screaming uncontrollably, and just went into a total rampage then I couldnt stop crying. It was horrible. The ER gave me ativan to calm me down and I didnt take the wellbutrin anymore. Next day I felt like myself again thank God. Mine worsened day to day, some people say they go away, my doctor said when they get that bad its not worth it. Hope you got it figured out!

#25 josh223

josh223

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:01 AM

I have been on 150mg Wellbutrin and 40mg Vyvanse for almost 2 years now. Works great. Adderall instead of Vyvanse also works great but I prefer the Vyvanse.

Right now i'm on 25mg Adderall and 200mg Wellbutrin and doing well. I really wanna switch back to vyvanse and take the 5mg IR adderall in the evenings though. Gonna be tough to talk to my doc about that one though

Edited by josh223, 17 January 2012 - 04:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users