Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Business Owners Diagnosed With Depression And Anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 desirehope

desirehope

ID: 37054

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Hi,

This is my first post to these forums. I am a small business owner who has suffered from severe depression and anxiety throughout my life. The economic uncertainty and the lack of emotional support is causing more panic and depression than I have felt. I feel extremely isolated and feel like no one really understands the difficulties I am facing. Although I have been seeing a doctor once a month, the resources for ongoing therapy are no longer and option due to cut backs (personal and city wide).

My life feels like I am going deeper and deeper into the "swamplands of the soul", so deep I am not sure I can come out of it.

Any input is appreciated.

#2 ericb13

ericb13

ID: 36958

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

Hi,

This is my first post to these forums. I am a small business owner who has suffered from severe depression and anxiety throughout my life. The economic uncertainty and the lack of emotional support is causing more panic and depression than I have felt. I feel extremely isolated and feel like no one really understands the difficulties I am facing. Although I have been seeing a doctor once a month, the resources for ongoing therapy are no longer and option due to cut backs (personal and city wide).

My life feels like I am going deeper and deeper into the "swamplands of the soul", so deep I am not sure I can come out of it.

Any input is appreciated.

I understand where you are. I am also a biz owner, and so is my wife. We are expecting our first child and I came to the very hard decision that I have to go out and get a real job. For me, it came down to the realization that my tolerance for variable income went away. Because of this decision (admitting defeat was hard for me) and because of other things going on, I had a breakdown and trying to pull myself out of it. I am now on Prozac for about 5 days, and I'm trying to figure out how to come out of the "swamplands of the soul" as well. The Prozac has helped pretty quickly to alleviate the panic, but I still have the hopeless feeling. It's going to be hard to find a real job in this economy, but that's now what I'm focusing on.

I have another friend that works on commission and he has struggled with depression for years. So you are definitely not alone in your feelings. I'm not in the state to help right now, but just knowing that others share your pain may help.

Maybe you should do some real soul searching about whether business ownership is the right thing for you. I hope you decide that it is and that you stick with it and are very successful, but for me, iI decided that it's not my thing. Talk to your family and friends about it; they may be able to really help. And if you're not on medication, it sounds like you may need to talk to your Doc about it.

I hope I helped...Keep us updated.

Eric

#3 arboria

arboria

Silver Member

ID: 33533

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:48 PM

Hi desirehope,

My husband and I have a part-time small business, although I don't talk about it here for privacy reasons. It is a would-be full time thing for my husband, except for the economy right now. He does freelance work for others and makes product in his spare time. I mostly do the administrative stuff, but I contribute to the products as I can. They are luxury items, things that people don't spend the money on when money is tight. That's why we're keeping it part time for the time being.

Do you think this would be an option for you, or is your business all-or-nothing? Do you offer a necessity or luxury items? No need to answer here, just something to think about. We make everything at home, so we don't have the added overhead of studio rent and all that comes with a separate space. People are having to make tough decisions right now. In the neighborhood where we used to live, shops are closing at a quick pace. I'm not sure if you're willing or able to put things on hold until the economy improves, but it is an option. Ericb13 makes a good point about variable income; one needs a high pain threshold right now.

Create your own peace. No one will give it to you.

envelope1jr.jpgplatinumstar.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users