• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darcness

Sleeping On The Couch...

29 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Just was curious if anyone else has ever took to sleeping on the couch when they were going through some bad times. I find it rather relaxing to be able to sleep on the couch. It's comfy and soft, and quiet. My wife likes to have the TV on all hours of the night, whether she's awake or not. Also her sleep patterns have been so jacked up since starting on her anti-seizure medication that I simply can't sleep in the same bed with her. She's either up all night, or getting up 4 times a night to use the bathroom, smoke a cig, or eat something.

I know that getting rest is one of the most important things to me in terms of healing and keeping myself stable, so I decided the last week or so to sleep on the couch and get that good rest I need. Me and the wife talked about it, and she said it doesn't bother her, so it's all good.

Just curious if anyone else finds themselves being really sensitive to sleep while in those bad times. Also, have you ever found yourself sleeping much lighter when things are a bit rough? I find now that any little noise wakes me up, where as before I could sleep like a rock and be out for 8+ hours without waking up once.

WyldeWriter likes this

Posted · Report post  

I have found myself sleeping on the sofa a few times recently, didnt intentionaly do it but I just ended up there. It was definately comfortable and relaxing and I was able to doze off while watching sky tv. Also been waking up quite a few times in the middle of the night while having bad times and normally I sleep like a log- I mean one time my cats were apparently fighting one top of me in bed and I slept through it.....nothing could wake me! So I think I can sort of relate :hearts:

Posted · Report post  

I've found sleeping on the couch to be a welcome change of pace on occasion. Especially when your partner is salsa dancing in their sleep.

WyldeWriter likes this

Posted · Report post  

i like to sleep on couchs too. ive been finding it hard to get rest in a bed.

Posted · Report post  

I can't sleep anywhere that isn't my bed. I'd find it especially tough to sleep on our sofa at the moment, we're decorating so we have no curtains up!

Posted · Report post  

Shhhhh! Guys, the women don't know that the "you're gonna sleep on the couch" is an empty threat. I mean, it does depend on the couch a bit. But yea, couches are ok for sleep.

What's the old joke? Girls, sleeping on the couch isn't really a threat, it's kinda like camping....

Posted · Report post  

I sleep on the sofa at times, especially when I'm going through a phase of insomnia...like right now. Sometimes I find it easier to sleep there than in my bed. My housemates think I'm crazy but nothing new there :flowers:

Seriously considering it right now tbh. It's 3:15am my time and sleep has been impossible so far. I would take one of my sleeping tablets but I feel so crap in the morning I hate taking them.

Sofa here I come :hearts:

Posted · Report post  

I wish I could sleep on our couch. The cushions aren't deep enough.

Posted · Report post  

We just got a newer couch and it's amazing. Cushions are almost too soft to sit on, but it works wonderfully as a bed.

And moose, I'm sorry man, I didn't mean to let the secret out. I'm safe though, since my wife doesn't read these forums. Plus, she gives me permission. :hearts:

I really find myself wanting to sleep with my wife, but it's rare that we're actually sleeping at the same time. I think maybe tonight I'll give it a go. She's in bed right now, but of course, not sleeping. Maybe I can talk her into it later. We'll see. I do miss sleeping next to her.

Posted · Report post  

I like my couch and often would fall asleep with th tv on. Since I shattered my arm 1.5 years ago, I started sleeping in the recliner and am still doing it. The tv goes all night. I sleep so hard, someone could come in the house and I wouldn't know it. My Labrador has taken over the bed. He doesn't leave much room as he's huge compared to the Scottish Labs I've had in the past. Now I have 2 dogs. The small one sleeps in the recliner with me. lol

Sheepwoman

Posted · Report post  

hell yeah...i've been at univeristy digs for the last 8 month and im going home tomorrow for the summer....the first thing im going to do is lay on my couch and go to sleep !

we have none here imagine that!

Posted · Report post  

I've tried to sleep on the sofa but the ticking of the clock and the pump on the fish tank kept me awake. I just lie still in bed and hope not to wake hubby up.

Posted · Report post  

i sleep on the sofa all the while, some time is the only place i can sleep the whole of the night though.

I lie awake abit listening to grandad clock tick tocking away for a while than he sort of helps me drift of to sleep.

Posted · Report post  

I love sleeping on the sofa at my mates house, it is more comfy than my bed. But i only have an armchair in my flat and although i always fall asleep watching tv, and sleep so peacefully i wake up with the worst neck ache.

Posted · Report post  

I love falling asleep on the sofa, though like spencer its more that i suddenly find myself waking up, having drifted off unaware... but i like the kind of comfort of it :)

>fabric addict< im at uni too, and my goodness im looking forward to the sofa at home or at my boyfriends :)

x

Posted · Report post  

I sleep on the couch all the time. It's the only place I feel truely safe enough to sleep. When I was a child I used to sleep in a bedroom next to my fathers room and I would hear him creep up the stairs and stand in my doorway. He would breath deeply and make a low growling noise. I would pretend I was asleep, regulating my breathing whilst terrified inside. In the end he would go to his room and talk for half and hour to himself before he fell asleep. I would always wait until everyone in the house was asleep before being able to sleep myself. I guess that's why I am funny about being in a bedroom by myself.

I am working on it though, and I have a bed now ! (Just need to get into it, lol) :hearts:

Posted · Report post  

my couch is an old 50's style couch that i bought for like 30 bucks american(college student budget) and its very uncomfortable to sleep on but my recliner is my friend its the best

Posted · Report post  

Currently my depression is in remission, but I remember sleeping on the couch many times when things were bad. I'm now in my mid 40's, but when I was about 24 when I had my first of 2 major episodes I remember sleeping on the couch for several weeks. I really don't know why, but there was something about my couch that gave me more comfort than my bed. I think it may have been because it was in a more public room and I didn't feel so isolated from the world - not 100% sure though. Nice to see others did it as well though - for whatever reason.

Skiidoggy likes this

Posted · Report post  

I wish I still had a couch, sometimes they just seem more cuddley to sleep on and sometimes I felt safer sleeping on them. When my anxiety is high I feel that going to bed means having to go to sleep, laying on the couch just means resting and I fall asleep faster because stress of having to sleep isn't there. I have 2 arm chairs and have been tempted to put them together to sleep on, even though I am kinda short I really think it would still be to small.

Posted · Report post  

Yes, whenever I can't sleep and I'm either a) not wanting to keep disturbing my partner with constantly fidgeting and trying to get comfortable for hours on end or b) can't sleep and fed up of listening to his snoring, then I go downstairs to the sofa with a couple of blankets. It's only a two-seater sofa so it's cramped but somehow that seems to help me sleep, even though I usually wake up with an ache in my neck or painful back!

Posted · Report post  

hell yeah...i've been at univeristy digs for the last 8 month and im going home tomorrow for the summer....the first thing im going to do is lay on my couch and go to sleep !

we have none here imagine that!

Oh God I feel your pain! We had no sofas in halls when I was in my first year, and we had rubbish ones in my second and third year houses :( Sad times. Nothing better than slobbing out on the sofa with a cuppa and a chocolate digestive... mmm....

Posted · Report post  

To enjoy a custom created area, very first thing an individual should go about doing is, to make measuring of the area. Regular split sofas can be found in number of artwork and are avalable in many sections and additionally chaises, however in the event of a little area we want to reduce the dimensions. If you prefer a style and design that has 4 or even five seats, you can reduce which layout directly into not one but two or three seats. 2 curved leather sectional sofa might be simple to easily fit into your sitting room.

An additional choice for a little living room is to feature a spot area. An individual can personalize a curved leather sectional sofa which need to be modified in the spot rather of the center. This unique look produces results superbly in smaller living rooms. They might not to be very little sizes however their placement gives you good room inside the area.

You could look and also personalize bent area sofas. The style actually put in the middle will keep a good area in the area. Rounded sectional sofas have bare area at the rear of and additionally that will keep the room overall look spacious. More information you can visit this site http://traans.blogspot.com/2013/01/curved-leather-sectional-sofa.html

Posted · Report post  

Can't. Housemates up at ridiculous o'clock. Considered booking into a hotel to get some head space since I an consider the merit of this though.

Posted · Report post  

Sometimes, like when my depression reaches a peak, I get sick and tired of my bedroom. So on those days/nights I'll turn on the tv and try and doze off on the couch.

Posted · Report post  

Can;t sleep anywhere but in the bed. When times are stressful, I cannot sleep.