Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Sleeping On The Couch...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 darcness

darcness

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

Just was curious if anyone else has ever took to sleeping on the couch when they were going through some bad times. I find it rather relaxing to be able to sleep on the couch. It's comfy and soft, and quiet. My wife likes to have the TV on all hours of the night, whether she's awake or not. Also her sleep patterns have been so jacked up since starting on her anti-seizure medication that I simply can't sleep in the same bed with her. She's either up all night, or getting up 4 times a night to use the bathroom, smoke a cig, or eat something.

I know that getting rest is one of the most important things to me in terms of healing and keeping myself stable, so I decided the last week or so to sleep on the couch and get that good rest I need. Me and the wife talked about it, and she said it doesn't bother her, so it's all good.

Just curious if anyone else finds themselves being really sensitive to sleep while in those bad times. Also, have you ever found yourself sleeping much lighter when things are a bit rough? I find now that any little noise wakes me up, where as before I could sleep like a rock and be out for 8+ hours without waking up once.
  • WyldeWriter likes this

Some of the greatest advice I've ever received on DF: "Always remember that recovery is not linear"
Such a simple phrase, but so easily forgotten...

#2 x_Spencer_x

x_Spencer_x

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:39 PM

I have found myself sleeping on the sofa a few times recently, didnt intentionaly do it but I just ended up there. It was definately comfortable and relaxing and I was able to doze off while watching sky tv. Also been waking up quite a few times in the middle of the night while having bad times and normally I sleep like a log- I mean one time my cats were apparently fighting one top of me in bed and I slept through it.....nothing could wake me! So I think I can sort of relate :hearts:

#3 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

I've found sleeping on the couch to be a welcome change of pace on occasion. Especially when your partner is salsa dancing in their sleep.
  • WyldeWriter likes this
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#4 CryingButterfly

CryingButterfly

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:49 PM

i like to sleep on couchs too. ive been finding it hard to get rest in a bed.

#5 shizuku

shizuku

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

I can't sleep anywhere that isn't my bed. I'd find it especially tough to sleep on our sofa at the moment, we're decorating so we have no curtains up!
That's life. If nothing else, it's life. It's real, and sometimes it hurts, but it's sort of all we have.

Life is not about braving the storm, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy, and how you ended up knowing which colours went together. We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.

Posted Image

#6 mmoose

mmoose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

Shhhhh! Guys, the women don't know that the "you're gonna sleep on the couch" is an empty threat. I mean, it does depend on the couch a bit. But yea, couches are ok for sleep.

What's the old joke? Girls, sleeping on the couch isn't really a threat, it's kinda like camping....
martymoose

#7 Psychological Penguin

Psychological Penguin

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

I sleep on the sofa at times, especially when I'm going through a phase of insomnia...like right now. Sometimes I find it easier to sleep there than in my bed. My housemates think I'm crazy but nothing new there :flowers:

Seriously considering it right now tbh. It's 3:15am my time and sleep has been impossible so far. I would take one of my sleeping tablets but I feel so crap in the morning I hate taking them.

Sofa here I come :hearts:
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are. Speak your mind even if your voice shakes.

#8 arboria

arboria

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

I wish I could sleep on our couch. The cushions aren't deep enough.

Create your own peace. No one will give it to you.

envelope1jr.jpgplatinumstar.jpg

#9 darcness

darcness

• Platinum Member
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:48 AM

We just got a newer couch and it's amazing. Cushions are almost too soft to sit on, but it works wonderfully as a bed.

And moose, I'm sorry man, I didn't mean to let the secret out. I'm safe though, since my wife doesn't read these forums. Plus, she gives me permission. :hearts:

I really find myself wanting to sleep with my wife, but it's rare that we're actually sleeping at the same time. I think maybe tonight I'll give it a go. She's in bed right now, but of course, not sleeping. Maybe I can talk her into it later. We'll see. I do miss sleeping next to her.

Some of the greatest advice I've ever received on DF: "Always remember that recovery is not linear"
Such a simple phrase, but so easily forgotten...

#10 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,940 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

I like my couch and often would fall asleep with th tv on. Since I shattered my arm 1.5 years ago, I started sleeping in the recliner and am still doing it. The tv goes all night. I sleep so hard, someone could come in the house and I wouldn't know it. My Labrador has taken over the bed. He doesn't leave much room as he's huge compared to the Scottish Labs I've had in the past. Now I have 2 dogs. The small one sleeps in the recliner with me. lol
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#11 fabricaddict

fabricaddict

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

hell yeah...i've been at univeristy digs for the last 8 month and im going home tomorrow for the summer....the first thing im going to do is lay on my couch and go to sleep !

we have none here imagine that!

#12 amazinggrace

amazinggrace

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

I've tried to sleep on the sofa but the ticking of the clock and the pump on the fish tank kept me awake. I just lie still in bed and hope not to wake hubby up.

"How comes things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer J Simpson

Choose Life!

xxx Go puppy love xxx

#13 kitty kat

kitty kat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:31 AM

i sleep on the sofa all the while, some time is the only place i can sleep the whole of the night though.

I lie awake abit listening to grandad clock tick tocking away for a while than he sort of helps me drift of to sleep.
I want to be loved by someone who loves me for being me

#14 Liam_L

Liam_L

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:36 AM

I love sleeping on the sofa at my mates house, it is more comfy than my bed. But i only have an armchair in my flat and although i always fall asleep watching tv, and sleep so peacefully i wake up with the worst neck ache.
If I fall back down, I'm gonna get back up again..

#15 marymary

marymary

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:39 AM

I love falling asleep on the sofa, though like spencer its more that i suddenly find myself waking up, having drifted off unaware... but i like the kind of comfort of it :)

>fabric addict< im at uni too, and my goodness im looking forward to the sofa at home or at my boyfriends :)

x

#16 Klimt

Klimt

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

I sleep on the couch all the time. It's the only place I feel truely safe enough to sleep. When I was a child I used to sleep in a bedroom next to my fathers room and I would hear him creep up the stairs and stand in my doorway. He would breath deeply and make a low growling noise. I would pretend I was asleep, regulating my breathing whilst terrified inside. In the end he would go to his room and talk for half and hour to himself before he fell asleep. I would always wait until everyone in the house was asleep before being able to sleep myself. I guess that's why I am funny about being in a bedroom by myself.

I am working on it though, and I have a bed now ! (Just need to get into it, lol) :hearts:
Don't Worry...Be Happy
According to the song, it's that easy.

#17 depressed_guy86

depressed_guy86

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

my couch is an old 50's style couch that i bought for like 30 bucks american(college student budget) and its very uncomfortable to sleep on but my recliner is my friend its the best
Johnny boy always played the fool, he broke all the rules so you would think he was cool.
He was never really one of the guys no matter how hard he tried, with the thought of suicide
It's kinda hard when you ain't got no friends, he put his life to an end they might remember him then.
You cross a line and there is no turnin back he told the world how he felt with the sound of a gat.

#18 becks

becks

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

Currently my depression is in remission, but I remember sleeping on the couch many times when things were bad. I'm now in my mid 40's, but when I was about 24 when I had my first of 2 major episodes I remember sleeping on the couch for several weeks. I really don't know why, but there was something about my couch that gave me more comfort than my bed. I think it may have been because it was in a more public room and I didn't feel so isolated from the world - not 100% sure though. Nice to see others did it as well though - for whatever reason.
  • Skiidoggy likes this

#19 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

• Platinum Member
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

I wish I still had a couch, sometimes they just seem more cuddley to sleep on and sometimes I felt safer sleeping on them. When my anxiety is high I feel that going to bed means having to go to sleep, laying on the couch just means resting and I fall asleep faster because stress of having to sleep isn't there. I have 2 arm chairs and have been tempted to put them together to sleep on, even though I am kinda short I really think it would still be to small.
Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

#20 Ember

Ember

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

Yes, whenever I can't sleep and I'm either a) not wanting to keep disturbing my partner with constantly fidgeting and trying to get comfortable for hours on end or b) can't sleep and fed up of listening to his snoring, then I go downstairs to the sofa with a couple of blankets. It's only a two-seater sofa so it's cramped but somehow that seems to help me sleep, even though I usually wake up with an ache in my neck or painful back!
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend."

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

Albert Camus

#21 shizuku

shizuku

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

hell yeah...i've been at univeristy digs for the last 8 month and im going home tomorrow for the summer....the first thing im going to do is lay on my couch and go to sleep !

we have none here imagine that!

Oh God I feel your pain! We had no sofas in halls when I was in my first year, and we had rubbish ones in my second and third year houses :( Sad times. Nothing better than slobbing out on the sofa with a cuppa and a chocolate digestive... mmm....
That's life. If nothing else, it's life. It's real, and sometimes it hurts, but it's sort of all we have.

Life is not about braving the storm, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy, and how you ended up knowing which colours went together. We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.

Posted Image

#22 marissmith

marissmith

Banned

• Banned
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

To enjoy a custom created area, very first thing an individual should go about doing is, to make measuring of the area. Regular split sofas can be found in number of artwork and are avalable in many sections and additionally chaises, however in the event of a little area we want to reduce the dimensions. If you prefer a style and design that has 4 or even five seats, you can reduce which layout directly into not one but two or three seats. 2 curved leather sectional sofa might be simple to easily fit into your sitting room.

An additional choice for a little living room is to feature a spot area. An individual can personalize a curved leather sectional sofa which need to be modified in the spot rather of the center. This unique look produces results superbly in smaller living rooms. They might not to be very little sizes however their placement gives you good room inside the area.

You could look and also personalize bent area sofas. The style actually put in the middle will keep a good area in the area. Rounded sectional sofas have bare area at the rear of and additionally that will keep the room overall look spacious. More information you can visit this site http://traans.blogsp...ional-sofa.html

#23 WyldeWriter

WyldeWriter

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Can't. Housemates up at ridiculous o'clock. Considered booking into a hotel to get some head space since I an consider the merit of this though. 

:1cat: ~~Either that wallpaper goes or I do!~~ Might not have been Wilde's true last words, but they'll be this one's :cat_jumps:

#24 AloneGuy

AloneGuy

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Sometimes, like when my depression reaches a peak, I get sick and tired of my bedroom.  So on those days/nights I'll turn on the tv and try and doze off on the couch.

Depression, Anxiety/Panic
Meds: Zoloft 200mg, Klonopin 1mg

#25 Phantastic Mirage

Phantastic Mirage

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

Can;t sleep anywhere but in the bed.  When times are stressful, I cannot sleep.

つき

月 に 変わって お仕置き よ

ACT 9 NOVEMBER 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 lumos_on_life

lumos_on_life

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

I slept on the couch pretty much all summer last year while my room was being remodeled, then I slept on the couch at the beach too. The couch at my house is small and cramped, so I wouldn't prefer it all the time, but I definitely liked sleeping there; I had the tv if I needed it, and the kitchen was just a few feet away! Lol! It became kind of calming down there, where I could be by myself and not upstairs where my parents were sleeping a few feet away. Plus if I got up early enough I could arrange the fkaps on the windows, lay back and watch the sunrise! The only con about sleeping on my couch is that my pup sleeps with me a lot and there's not much room for the both of us on it :(
  • AloneGuy likes this

"To be ill-adjusted to a deranged world is not a breakdown." - Jeanette Winterson

Michelle. 18 years old. OCD, Dysthymia, GAD. Keep on keepin' on.

#27 Just Adam

Just Adam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

I only sleep on couches.

#28 natethegreat

natethegreat

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Since my ex left I can't bring myself to sleep in our bed. Thankfully yes my couch is super comfortable.

"There are times when I'm all by myself and I concentrate as hard as I can to see if I can't make myself catch on fire like the Human Torch." Dr.Cox - Scrubs

#29 rosesforemily

rosesforemily

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

When I was depressed and lonely I used to sleep in the living room on the futon with the radio on just so I wouldn't feel so alone.

But I had a roommate who I hated and she asked me to stop sleeping on the futon because I was making it "dirty."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users