Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Does Remeron Make You Feel "numb"?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sprax

Sprax

ID: 34858

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

I've been on SSRI:s before and I hated them because they made me feel nothing at all. Sure they killed my anxiety but what use is that if you're about as alive as a rock.

Anyway so my question is, does remeron allow you to still feel other emotions strongly while ******* anxiety? Or does it make you feel sort of "numb" / detached / not caring.

#2 old friend

old friend

ID: 33782

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

I've been on SSRI:s before and I hated them because they made me feel nothing at all. Sure they killed my anxiety but what use is that if you're about as alive as a rock.

Anyway so my question is, does remeron allow you to still feel other emotions strongly while ******* anxiety? Or does it make you feel sort of "numb" / detached / not caring.

My experience is that I feel emotion more with mirtazapine than I did with SSRI's. but it has a sedating effect which may make you feel numb.
We are all in this together! All faiths and non faiths as ONE! Brothers and Sisters standing together, shoulder to shoulder against our enemy- Mental Illness!

#3 Guest_beaches09_*

Guest_beaches09_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:53 PM

No numbing on Mirtazapine for me at all. It's not an SSRI and doesn't act anything like one. An SSRI blocks the recycling of serotonin so all the receptors are saturated in it longer. But many of the serotonin receptors are what cause all those dreaded SSRI side effects like mood flattening, anxiety, sexual problems, etc. Mirtazapine goes a step even further and actually BLOCKS two of those receptors, so there is no anxiety induced or sexual problems. Mirtazapine stimulates the Alpha2 Adrenergic receptor which causes a RELEASE of more noradrenaline and serotonin. There is no blocking of reuptake. It just causes MORE of those feel good chemicals to be released. Which is why it's such a powerful antidepressent. Where SSRI's and SNRI's fail in some people to do anything, a drug like this on the other hand would make all the difference by providing more of the neurotransmitter that is in need. If this isn't powerful enough then adding an SSRI or SNRI or Bupropion can be an EXTREMLEY powerful mix.

The only drawback to this med is the histamine action which causes sedation and brain fog for many. If you can get around those things by other means or chemical augmentations, then you are gold.

Edited by beaches09, 17 May 2009 - 01:56 PM.

#4 Sprax

Sprax

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

Sounds promising.

I'm so tired of going through hell every time I'm put on a new drug. I complained about a lack of emotions and my doc put said he'd put me on SSRI:s. Given that their theraputic effect seems to be to numb emotions and that I told him I'd been on SSRI:s before, with that very effect, I thought he was a complete ***** for prescribing SSRI:s.

Interestingly of course remeron isn't an ssri which he said it was. He also thought wellbutrin (which I was on at the time) was an ssri. I had to inform him otherwise... no acknowledgement about being wrong of course. He has no idea what he's doing...

Edited by Sprax, 17 May 2009 - 02:04 PM.

#5 Guest_beaches09_*

Guest_beaches09_*

• Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

Yeah it's unfortunate that many doctors these days just don't have the slightest clue. What you say is actually pretty disturbing if you wanted you could take action and report what he said to higher ups. He clearly doesn't have the slightest idea what he is doing by not even knowing the simplest thing of what meds are in what category that is pretty scary I wouldn't take his advise at all. If he's all you can deal with for right now as I've been there, then doing your own research like you are doing is the best option until you can get a better doc. Then just tell him this is what you want and that's that or you're leavin and not comin back.'

I hear ya, I been though many many med trials it's a pain in the a**. Luckily is this is one you try I will say that if it doesn't work to your liking, the withdrawal is by far the easiest of any med I've ever tried. It's practically nothing. While positive results are noticed in the first week, it does take at least a good 3-4 weeks to start really feeling it. And a decent 30mg dose.

I normally have a lot of General Anxiety and anxiousness big time and let me tell you this drug kicks those things in the butt. I was so calm and cool and easy going, free flowing. And negative thinking well for me, was pretty much inhiliated. It's not really an activating drug that's going to get someone off their butt to get things done. But for depression and general anxiety most definitely it can have a great effect.

For an activating boost to increase motivation and block the sedation and appetite increase if you decide you wanted to take it a step further later, adding Bupropion would most definitely be a fantasic mix. Or adding Effexor.

I'll also just note and while I haven't yet tried any SNRI's. I will say from everything I've read and people I know that are on them, they haven't reported any mood flattening effects like people do on the SSRI's. It is usually the opposite and people feel much more "themselves", and much better able to function, etc.

Edited by beaches09, 17 May 2009 - 02:23 PM.

#6 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

ID: 35225

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

Sounds promising.

I'm so tired of going through hell every time I'm put on a new drug. I complained about a lack of emotions and my doc put said he'd put me on SSRI:s. Given that their theraputic effect seems to be to numb emotions and that I told him I'd been on SSRI:s before, with that very effect, I thought he was a complete ***** for prescribing SSRI:s.

Interestingly of course remeron isn't an ssri which he said it was. He also thought wellbutrin (which I was on at the time) was an ssri. I had to inform him otherwise... no acknowledgement about being wrong of course. He has no idea what he's doing...

Are you seeing a GP or a p-doc?
Just wondering because for years I was mis dx'ed by my GP and on the wrong course of meds, I went to a p-doc and he seems to know alot more about this kind of meds, and DX'es.
Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

#7 old friend

old friend

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:54 PM

Sounds promising.

My pdoc said he wanted me on Mirtazapine because it was less likely to cause weight problems than Effexor!! :hearts: As it turns out I couldn't tolerate effexor because of nausea and the weight gain with mirtazapine was only temporary.
We are all in this together! All faiths and non faiths as ONE! Brothers and Sisters standing together, shoulder to shoulder against our enemy- Mental Illness!

#8 Sprax

Sprax

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

Are you seeing a GP or a p-doc?
Just wondering because for years I was mis dx'ed by my GP and on the wrong course of meds, I went to a p-doc and he seems to know alot more about this kind of meds, and DX'es.

I'm seeing a GP. I've been trying to get ahold of a psychiatrist but it's not all too easy. Still, if he doesn't know what he's doing he should, imo, either look things up or not do anything. Prescribing things more or less at random seems pretty irresponsible.

#9 Guest_Mogwai_*

Guest_Mogwai_*

• Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

Different to others in this thread remeron does make me feel somewhat detached and apathetic - that was one of the reasons why i initially came down in dose to 15mg, although now i'm back up to 30mg. At 15mg the effects described weren't as bad, and actually quite managable. Numbness is a problem for me more when the weather is warm, so i can't say whether it's the weather, the drug or just the depression causing it, but sometimes it can get really bad and all i want to do is shut down and let it pass.

But, these type of drugs do lessen anxiety, so if dealing with that is the most important priority then i guess it's a trade-off having less anxiety while accepting the side-effects - not ideal but not much can be done about it. I agree it's a big consideration though.

#10 rockintom

rockintom

ID: 35794

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

Thanks. I feel really optimistic about starting Mirtazapine. I just feel a little scared about coming down my dose on Effexor and converting to Mirtazapine because of the potential threat of bad withdrawals. Hopefully when I can pluck up the courage to do it (hopefully sooner rather than later) I can start feeling myself again. :hearts:

Edited by rockintom, 24 June 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#11 old friend

old friend

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

Thanks. I feel really optimistic about starting Mirtazapine. I just feel a little scared about coming down my dose on Effexor and converting to Mirtazapine because of the potential threat of bad withdrawals. Hopefully when I can pluck up the courage to do it (hopefully sooner rather than later) I can start feeling myself again. :hearts:

I'm actually going the reverse direction. I'm switching to efexor because it is a more powerful anti-anxiety drug.(for me) Mitz was very effective for Dep but not strong enough for Angst, which is my major concern. Just take it down slowly. I went from paxil to mitz by halving the paxil to 10mg then going through the normal 15mg adjustment then 30mg mitz then I continued to slowly decrease the paxil because I get really bad withdrawal from it. My withdrawal was 20-10-5-0 at 5 week intervals. (dis-claimer) Please note this was my experience and is in no way professional advice. Everybody is different so follow your professionals advice unless he/she tells you to suddenly switch which many docs think you can do but is extremely dangerous for withdrawal. Some may be able to do it but I'm sure most will get withdrawal and have to go back which is what happened to me.

#12 ghd6820

ghd6820

Just Registered

ID: 39087

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:38 AM

I've been on Remeron (varying doses but mostly around 30mg) for 7 to 8 months now, and it has effectively turned me into an unfeeling, apathetic zombie. "Numb" would be putting it lightly. It's extremely hard for me to answer a question; 9 times out of 10 I automatically say "I don't know." I have no aspirations or motivations for my future. I rarely talk to my parents and when I do my responses are always monosyllabic. When I want to expand beyond just one word, it's very hard to do so; it's like my mind is literally "blank." I am content to do nothing all day and have an impossible time making any kind of decision, small or large. I've always been somewhat quiet and indecisive but it's like Remeron exacerbated these things to an unbearable degree. I don't know whether I'm experiencing some kind of amotivational syndrome or what, but being on Remeron for so long (and only recently stepping outside of my unthinking, apathetic stupor to realize the medication is the problem) has made my life much worse than it was just suffering from depression before I took the medication in the first place.

Edited by ghd6820, 29 July 2009 - 12:40 AM.

#13 OpenO

OpenO

ID: 39769

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

I've been on Remeron (varying doses but mostly around 30mg) for 7 to 8 months now, and it has effectively turned me into an unfeeling, apathetic zombie. "Numb" would be putting it lightly. It's extremely hard for me to answer a question; 9 times out of 10 I automatically say "I don't know." I have no aspirations or motivations for my future. I rarely talk to my parents and when I do my responses are always monosyllabic. When I want to expand beyond just one word, it's very hard to do so; it's like my mind is literally "blank." I am content to do nothing all day and have an impossible time making any kind of decision, small or large. I've always been somewhat quiet and indecisive but it's like Remeron exacerbated these things to an unbearable degree. I don't know whether I'm experiencing some kind of amotivational syndrome or what, but being on Remeron for so long (and only recently stepping outside of my unthinking, apathetic stupor to realize the medication is the problem) has made my life much worse than it was just suffering from depression before I took the medication in the first place.

I've been on it for about 3 weeks now and have had my dose upped to 30mg at night.

Whilst I sleep, I've yet to get any refreshing, restoring sleep and have had some strange dreams and hallucinations before I go off.

I think it has made me my depersonalisation worse as a feel more detached, confused and number than before and certainly more blank. I'll stick with it until I see my Pdoc in a few weeks time and let you know how I'm doing.

Edited by OpenO, 23 September 2009 - 02:06 PM.

#14 SecretMist

SecretMist

ID: 24142

• Platinum Member
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

hi openo,

it does seem like you are struggling with your remerorn, this med can make you feel a bit restly and the beginning and sometimes takes up to 6-8 weeks to take it's full effect, howerver....if you feel that you are getting worse as far as feeling more detached especially confused you may want to call your pdoc before your appt to let them know how your feeling. let us know how things go for you with this.

If we can't stand alone to help ourselves,
with support we shall stand together
to make the changes and a difference within our lives
and the lives of all for the better.

#15 OpenO

OpenO

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

hi openo,

it does seem like you are struggling with your remerorn, this med can make you feel a bit restly and the beginning and sometimes takes up to 6-8 weeks to take it's full effect, howerver....if you feel that you are getting worse as far as feeling more detached especially confused you may want to call your pdoc before your appt to let them know how your feeling. let us know how things go for you with this.

Well my dose was upped to 30mg and now I'm taking 45mg at night but still not getting any restful sleep.

I feel even more detached and numb.

My PDoc want's a sleep study done to see what's causing the lack of deep sleep.

Edited by OpenO, 16 October 2009 - 09:38 AM.

#16 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

hi openo,

Well my dose was upped to 30mg and now I'm taking 45mg at night but still not getting any restful sleep.

Hi OpenO,

I think a sleep study would be a good idea, it's always good to look at all aspects of what could be causing the lack of restful sleeping. Sleep apnea runs in my family so sometime soon I too will be getting to having the same testing done, although I sleep good at night and sleep really sound but am having other heath problems that they think maybe sleep apnea may be causing some of those problems. I hope things work out for you on that. Let us know how things go with that.

#17 OpenO

OpenO

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:55 PM

hi openo,

Hi OpenO,

I think a sleep study would be a good idea, it's always good to look at all aspects of what could be causing the lack of restful sleeping. Sleep apnea runs in my family so sometime soon I too will be getting to having the same testing done, although I sleep good at night and sleep really sound but am having other heath problems that they think maybe sleep apnea may be causing some of those problems. I hope things work out for you on that. Let us know how things go with that.

I will do.

Hope they get you sorted.

#18 prowilrem

prowilrem

ID: 41288

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

I want to say that I too have been on Remeron first 15 and now 30 mg a day, and realize that my dreams have become more vivid and sometimes a bit scary. I think any kind of chemical one puts into the system is bound to have some kind of reaction.

#19 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

Hi prowilrem,

I have been on remeron for several yrs know and dreams use be there but then settled down after getting use to it plus I am on a combo of meds at the same time with remeron so my dreams are bad anymore unless I am going through a rough time of depression. I've heard that a lot of people though seem to have a lot of trouble with their dreams being so vivid. Sometimes it's just the matter of finding the right meds that work for us. I do hope that your dreams settle down for you.

#20 OpenO

OpenO

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:47 AM

Hi prowilrem,

I have been on remeron for several yrs know and dreams use be there but then settled down after getting use to it plus I am on a combo of meds at the same time with remeron so my dreams are bad anymore unless I am going through a rough time of depression. I've heard that a lot of people though seem to have a lot of trouble with their dreams being so vivid. Sometimes it's just the matter of finding the right meds that work for us. I do hope that your dreams settle down for you.

Strangely the vivid dreams have stopped for me and I don't seem to dream at all now.

#21 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

I'm glad that the vivid dreams have stopped and hopefully once the remeron takes it full effect you will have some pleasant dreams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users