• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Mogwai

Side-effects When First Starting Mirtazapine

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't know if what i'm feeling is to do with side-effects due to upping dose from 15 to 30mg - in a way i hope it is.

I think it was 3 weeks ago when i started on the higher dose, and in the last week i've been feeling light-headed, more anxious and more depressed. I was verging on suicidal last night.

Has anyone else experienced this type of thing while on Mirtazapine?

I've been looking at the leaflet in the box. I hadn't noticed this before but it says:

Thoughts of suicide and worsening of your depression or anxiety disorder

Patiens who are depressed and/or have anxiety disorders can sometimes have thoughts of harming themselves

or killling themselves. These thoughts may be increased when first starting anti-depressants, as these

medicines all take time to work, usually about 2 weeks but somtimes longer

I wonder why the AD does this :hearts:

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I am not sure why they would do that, but maybe because it is changing the chemical balances in your brain. If this continues or gets worse please call your doc or go to the emergancey room. This isn't the wanted reaction, so your doc may need to change the meds.

Posted

If it gets worse i'll do as you say sindy, but today i don't feel so bad really. I'll have to see how it goes this next week.

It quite probably is something to do with the changing balance of chemicals in the brain - ADs do seem to do some funny things to it don't they?

Posted

Hi Mogwai,

ADs meds (SSRI/SNRI/Trycyc) all have side effects that occur on increase or withdrawal. It sounds like you may be getting these side effects because of the increase in dose, or because these particular med is not suitable for you. Normally the side effects you mention are when you first start taking the meds and last for 2-3 weeks.

So have a chat with you Doc as an emergency and get some support from a good freind to keep you under a watchful eye.

We are not professionals here so always see your Doc.

Jim Bow

Posted

I noticed more so with SSRI's that anxiety can get worse before it gets better. (a few weeks) It feels colloquially like the angst monster puts up a fight before it gets put to sleep.

Posted

hey my Doc put me on them. i am already on Lexapro 30mg a day and zimavane 7.5. However when I look one of the ones (mirap) I literally was like the walking dead for two days! I odn't know how anyone can handle these.

Posted

Hi Mogwai,

ADs meds (SSRI/SNRI/Trycyc) all have side effects that occur on increase or withdrawal. It sounds like you may be getting these side effects because of the increase in dose, or because these particular med is not suitable for you. Normally the side effects you mention are when you first start taking the meds and last for 2-3 weeks.

So have a chat with you Doc as an emergency and get some support from a good freind to keep you under a watchful eye.

We are not professionals here so always see your Doc.

Jim Bow

Thanks for reminding me of the side-effects on increase or withdrawal - i've been on Zispin for about 9 years now, so i've probably forgotten what happened when i first started on it. Thanks again for the reassurance.

I noticed more so with SSRI's that anxiety can get worse before it gets better. (a few weeks) It feels colloquially like the angst monster puts up a fight before it gets put to sleep.

I like the way you put that old friend :hearts: I think you're right about the anxiety getting worse before getting better - it's very strange that, but that's how its been for me.

I do notice a decrease in overall anxiety now, but i don't like the extra numbing feeling that comes with taking Zispin - i guess it's something we have to live with when on ADs

hey my Doc put me on them. i am already on Lexapro 30mg a day and zimavane 7.5. However when I look one of the ones (mirap) I literally was like the walking dead for two days! I odn't know how anyone can handle these.

Hi Pamela,

I know what you mean about the walking dead. For me it was like i was so numb i couldn't think - i just stared straight ahead a lot of the time. I hope you are doing better now Pamela and the cocktail of drugs is working for you.

Posted (edited)

I had some really scary side effects, the first 15mg and I slept like a corpse. For several weeks I had severe short term memory and cognitive function problems. it really scared me because I thought I was going to get dementia because of them and then some Dr would just say it was coincidence. I stopped & started several times but then became so desperate that I decided I would stick with it. Most symptoms/side effects have abated but I do feel a bit more tired than usual and particularly strange is that I can suddenly feel exhausted during exercise but then come good again within minutes. A week ago I had it it sprung on me to do a reading at a meeting and no time for a benzo. For a few minutes I got hot and cold flushes then it went all quiet. No stammering or stuttering! A very strange drug.

Edited by old friend

Posted

I don't know if what i'm feeling is to do with side-effects due to upping dose from 15 to 30mg - in a way i hope it is.

I think it was 3 weeks ago when i started on the higher dose, and in the last week i've been feeling light-headed, more anxious and more depressed. I was verging on suicidal last night.

I've been looking at the leaflet in the box. I hadn't noticed this before but it says:

Patiens who are depressed and/or have anxiety disorders can sometimes have thoughts of harming themselves

or killling themselves. These thoughts may be increased when first starting anti-depressants, as these

hi mogwai, i starte mirtazapine 7wks ago , when i first started taking them i felt a positive difference in my self but about three /four weeks in i like you was all panicky and suicidal i sat and played on my ds to distract my thoughts but next day it passed just felt tired, im now on day 5 on 30mg yesterday was a low day today just so tired i aint got dressed and had take away instead of cooking, maybe tomorrow i will be on the up again, just dont be on your own when you feel low and contact your doc if needed, good luck cat x

Posted

hi mogwai, i starte mirtazapine 7wks ago , when i first started taking them i felt a positive difference in my self but about three /four weeks in i like you was all panicky and suicidal i sat and played on my ds to distract my thoughts but next day it passed just felt tired, im now on day 5 on 30mg yesterday was a low day today just so tired i aint got dressed and had take away instead of cooking, maybe tomorrow i will be on the up again, just dont be on your own when you feel low and contact your doc if needed, good luck cat x

Hey Cat,

Thanks for the support. Distracting yourself on your ds sounds like a good plan - i wish i'd thought of that lol - don't have ds though, got pc games tho. Hope you're doin ok at the moment.