Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Side-effects When First Starting Mirtazapine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mogwai_*

Guest_Mogwai_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

I don't know if what i'm feeling is to do with side-effects due to upping dose from 15 to 30mg - in a way i hope it is.

I think it was 3 weeks ago when i started on the higher dose, and in the last week i've been feeling light-headed, more anxious and more depressed. I was verging on suicidal last night.

Has anyone else experienced this type of thing while on Mirtazapine?

I've been looking at the leaflet in the box. I hadn't noticed this before but it says:

Thoughts of suicide and worsening of your depression or anxiety disorder
Patiens who are depressed and/or have anxiety disorders can sometimes have thoughts of harming themselves
or killling themselves. These thoughts may be increased when first starting anti-depressants, as these
medicines all take time to work, usually about 2 weeks but somtimes longer

I wonder why the AD does this :hearts:

#2 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

ID: 35225

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:00 PM

I am not sure why they would do that, but maybe because it is changing the chemical balances in your brain. If this continues or gets worse please call your doc or go to the emergancey room. This isn't the wanted reaction, so your doc may need to change the meds.
Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

#3 Guest_Mogwai_*

Guest_Mogwai_*

• Guests

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

If it gets worse i'll do as you say sindy, but today i don't feel so bad really. I'll have to see how it goes this next week.

It quite probably is something to do with the changing balance of chemicals in the brain - ADs do seem to do some funny things to it don't they?

#4 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

ID: 35694

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hi Mogwai,

ADs meds (SSRI/SNRI/Trycyc) all have side effects that occur on increase or withdrawal. It sounds like you may be getting these side effects because of the increase in dose, or because these particular med is not suitable for you. Normally the side effects you mention are when you first start taking the meds and last for 2-3 weeks.

So have a chat with you Doc as an emergency and get some support from a good freind to keep you under a watchful eye.

We are not professionals here so always see your Doc.

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 old friend

old friend

ID: 33782

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

I noticed more so with SSRI's that anxiety can get worse before it gets better. (a few weeks) It feels colloquially like the angst monster puts up a fight before it gets put to sleep.
We are all in this together! All faiths and non faiths as ONE! Brothers and Sisters standing together, shoulder to shoulder against our enemy- Mental Illness!

#6 PamelaD

PamelaD

Just Registered

ID: 36897

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

hey my Doc put me on them. i am already on Lexapro 30mg a day and zimavane 7.5. However when I look one of the ones (mirap) I literally was like the walking dead for two days! I odn't know how anyone can handle these.

#7 Guest_Mogwai_*

Guest_Mogwai_*

• Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

Hi Mogwai,

ADs meds (SSRI/SNRI/Trycyc) all have side effects that occur on increase or withdrawal. It sounds like you may be getting these side effects because of the increase in dose, or because these particular med is not suitable for you. Normally the side effects you mention are when you first start taking the meds and last for 2-3 weeks.

So have a chat with you Doc as an emergency and get some support from a good freind to keep you under a watchful eye.

We are not professionals here so always see your Doc.

Jim Bow

Thanks for reminding me of the side-effects on increase or withdrawal - i've been on Zispin for about 9 years now, so i've probably forgotten what happened when i first started on it. Thanks again for the reassurance.

I noticed more so with SSRI's that anxiety can get worse before it gets better. (a few weeks) It feels colloquially like the angst monster puts up a fight before it gets put to sleep.

I like the way you put that old friend :hearts: I think you're right about the anxiety getting worse before getting better - it's very strange that, but that's how its been for me.

I do notice a decrease in overall anxiety now, but i don't like the extra numbing feeling that comes with taking Zispin - i guess it's something we have to live with when on ADs

hey my Doc put me on them. i am already on Lexapro 30mg a day and zimavane 7.5. However when I look one of the ones (mirap) I literally was like the walking dead for two days! I odn't know how anyone can handle these.

Hi Pamela,

I know what you mean about the walking dead. For me it was like i was so numb i couldn't think - i just stared straight ahead a lot of the time. I hope you are doing better now Pamela and the cocktail of drugs is working for you.

#8 old friend

old friend

ID: 33782

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:07 PM

I had some really scary side effects, the first 15mg and I slept like a corpse. For several weeks I had severe short term memory and cognitive function problems. it really scared me because I thought I was going to get dementia because of them and then some Dr would just say it was coincidence. I stopped & started several times but then became so desperate that I decided I would stick with it. Most symptoms/side effects have abated but I do feel a bit more tired than usual and particularly strange is that I can suddenly feel exhausted during exercise but then come good again within minutes. A week ago I had it it sprung on me to do a reading at a meeting and no time for a benzo. For a few minutes I got hot and cold flushes then it went all quiet. No stammering or stuttering! A very strange drug.

Edited by old friend, 20 May 2009 - 08:10 PM.

We are all in this together! All faiths and non faiths as ONE! Brothers and Sisters standing together, shoulder to shoulder against our enemy- Mental Illness!

#9 catherine1971

catherine1971

ID: 36961

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

I don't know if what i'm feeling is to do with side-effects due to upping dose from 15 to 30mg - in a way i hope it is.

I think it was 3 weeks ago when i started on the higher dose, and in the last week i've been feeling light-headed, more anxious and more depressed. I was verging on suicidal last night.

I've been looking at the leaflet in the box. I hadn't noticed this before but it says:

Patiens who are depressed and/or have anxiety disorders can sometimes have thoughts of harming themselves
or killling themselves. These thoughts may be increased when first starting anti-depressants, as these

hi mogwai, i starte mirtazapine 7wks ago , when i first started taking them i felt a positive difference in my self but about three /four weeks in i like you was all panicky and suicidal i sat and played on my ds to distract my thoughts but next day it passed just felt tired, im now on day 5 on 30mg yesterday was a low day today just so tired i aint got dressed and had take away instead of cooking, maybe tomorrow i will be on the up again, just dont be on your own when you feel low and contact your doc if needed, good luck cat x
WAKE UP WITH A SMILE TO END YOUR DAY WITH A SMILE

#10 Guest_Mogwai_*

Guest_Mogwai_*

• Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

hi mogwai, i starte mirtazapine 7wks ago , when i first started taking them i felt a positive difference in my self but about three /four weeks in i like you was all panicky and suicidal i sat and played on my ds to distract my thoughts but next day it passed just felt tired, im now on day 5 on 30mg yesterday was a low day today just so tired i aint got dressed and had take away instead of cooking, maybe tomorrow i will be on the up again, just dont be on your own when you feel low and contact your doc if needed, good luck cat x

Hey Cat,

Thanks for the support. Distracting yourself on your ds sounds like a good plan - i wish i'd thought of that lol - don't have ds though, got pc games tho. Hope you're doin ok at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users