Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Don't Want To Go In To Work: Feel Depressed, But Should I Go?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 V_C

V_C

Just Registered

ID: 36691

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:09 AM

I started to feel depressed again on friday (may 8th) and so I called in sick (saying I had food poisoning, I really didn't) and then I called in again for Monday and Tuesday this week with the same excuse. I feel like I don't want to leave my room or even go outside and I haven't really the whole time I have been home. My work is a call center, where I do have to be patient with people and be nice and what not and I don't think I can do it with how I am feeling.

It comes in waves, I am fine at times but then there are moments where I feel really overwhelmed. I don't know if I should go in to work or tell them that I am "fine" from food poisoning but then my depression is really bothering me (now telling the truth instead of the food poisoning lie, sadly when you are depressed you don't like telling people since they could judge you) and I could then get a note from my doctor for missing 5 days consecutively. I have missed a week before (a month ago thanks to a kidney stone I did have, twice) so I have missed some time before and I have only worked there for about 5 months now. I am in a union but I don't know how much they can cover me for being sick.

I just feel like crap, I want to go to my doctor and get back on meds and finally get to a point where I can keep it under control or learn how to cope with it proper and I don't know if I can make it for the next 2 days of work and deal with trying to see a doctor and get back on track.

Is it ok if I call in sick for the rest of the week (it would be from friday last week to monday next week because of a holiday, missing 5 days of work)? I don't know if I should get my bearings or not. I do have to pay for my school as well so missing time does suck but do I want to go to work, feel even worse and then have my school and work suffer?

I don't know what to do, I don't even know if I am making sense. I just stumbled across this site and thought people here were nice and helpful so I registered since I can't really talk to anyone else about this in my family since they don't think Depression is something that really exists. Nor do they think my ADHD is something that's real as well (my parents aren't 1st generation canadian, they are still very old school).

What do I do? It's midnight and I work tomorrow 8-4 and then have a day off and work 8-4 again, should I try to go since I have that day off to rest and then go again Friday and then have the 3 day weekend to sort of take a deep breath and be a trooper?

I'm 27 going on 28 and this disease has already ruined most of my life.

#2 koral

koral

ID: 36689

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:22 AM

I started to feel depressed again on friday (may 8th) and so I called in sick (saying I had food poisoning, I really didn't) and then I called in again for Monday and Tuesday this week with the same excuse. I feel like I don't want to leave my room or even go outside and I haven't really the whole time I have been home. My work is a call center, where I do have to be patient with people and be nice and what not and I don't think I can do it with how I am feeling.

It comes in waves, I am fine at times but then there are moments where I feel really overwhelmed. I don't know if I should go in to work or tell them that I am "fine" from food poisoning but then my depression is really bothering me (now telling the truth instead of the food poisoning lie, sadly when you are depressed you don't like telling people since they could judge you) and I could then get a note from my doctor for missing 5 days consecutively. I have missed a week before (a month ago thanks to a kidney stone I did have, twice) so I have missed some time before and I have only worked there for about 5 months now. I am in a union but I don't know how much they can cover me for being sick.

I just feel like crap, I want to go to my doctor and get back on meds and finally get to a point where I can keep it under control or learn how to cope with it proper and I don't know if I can make it for the next 2 days of work and deal with trying to see a doctor and get back on track.

Is it ok if I call in sick for the rest of the week (it would be from friday last week to monday next week because of a holiday, missing 5 days of work)? I don't know if I should get my bearings or not. I do have to pay for my school as well so missing time does suck but do I want to go to work, feel even worse and then have my school and work suffer?

I don't know what to do, I don't even know if I am making sense. I just stumbled across this site and thought people here were nice and helpful so I registered since I can't really talk to anyone else about this in my family since they don't think Depression is something that really exists. Nor do they think my ADHD is something that's real as well (my parents aren't 1st generation canadian, they are still very old school).

What do I do? It's midnight and I work tomorrow 8-4 and then have a day off and work 8-4 again, should I try to go since I have that day off to rest and then go again Friday and then have the 3 day weekend to sort of take a deep breath and be a trooper?

I'm 27 going on 28 and this disease has already ruined most of my life.

I had a similar problem with missing school, I went to tlak to one of my teachers and just said that i couldnt make a midterm because of what was going on with me, and he said he couldnt do anything for me. In the end I felt a lot better not making excuses and just telling the truth as hard as it was. Thats my experience. I honestly cant tell you if its okay to miss work or not, thats your call, but it does sound like your work is stressful. And one thing you have to know is that you are more important than work, and missing work or losing a job isnt the end of the world, taking care of yourself is number one. If you arent, i suggest seeing a therapist for your depression and a doctor for the adhd. In terms of medication for the depression, if you can handle it without being medicated, thats the best way, but if you can't then you have to do whats best for you.
keep in mind im pulling off of my own experiences and i am not a doctor
good luck !
-Brad
I do my thing and you do your thing
I am not in this world to
live up to your expectations,
and you are not in this world to
live up to mine.
You are you
and I am I
and if by chance we find each other,
it's beautiful.

Today is the tomorrow that
you were afraid of yesterday

#3 V_C

V_C

Just Registered

ID: 36691

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:27 AM

Thanks, I think I am going to go to work. I will try to schedule a doctor's appointment thursday if not another day when she isn't so booked (small town, doctors here are booked like crazy). I just want to get on track, I wasted 6yrs of my life letting this control my life.

I need to stop it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users